Gene03

Fried Mike?

So, I'm sitting up at a friends house and he wants to know if anybody remembers a guy that only went by the name of "Fried Mike"?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Are you talking about the Mike I know?

Sparky

I think he is. I mentioned this post to Mike so I'm sure he will come take a look.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Yes that was me. That name was given to me by PH(piss head) McKenna and his brother Spyder. I went with it because....Well you just don't have much to say about things like that. There was some truth to it. Back in 78' I didn't have a lot going for myself so when I by chance rounded a corner while driving my scooter in the back roads of San Diego and saw open canopys over San Diego Air Sport Center at about 1000 ft. I knew right there that I have found a missing part of my life that I had all but ignored and I fell in love with it. I't was all good. I just wanted to jump out of air planes with a parachute. I was meeting people that were well connected with the sport and I just was happy as hell to jump with them. I just had that overwhelmed air about me. And that is why I believe they gave me that name. Later when most would't jump with me and because of it I started to see that it'd had been a big joke on me. The partying had taken a toll and in July of 81' I married a woman that truly had my best interest in mind. I stopped jumping with the intent of cleaning up my act. I didn't sell my gear because I always wanted to jump again "Someday" It was the death of Perry Armstrong that jolted me back to skydiving Roger Worthington and John Bull help me get back in. John Bull got me into Air Trash. Being a member of Air Trash has been one of the most rewarding experiences so far. I've met some of the best people I could possibly want to know. One a month there is a place I can go and do my thing - jump out of airplanes. I now do not want to be called that because it brings up the bad feelings that I ended up having because of it. True a name does not make or break a person but I would really like it to stay in the past. Blue Sky ST-51 Mike

I'm proud to call Mike a good friend. Knew him in the old days and the last five years as well. I'd jump with him any time, anywhere, no questions asked. Meeting up with Mike again five years ago, after not having seen him in something like 22 years was the best, it was like having a part of the old glory days back again. Mike's a character who has real character.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I'm proud to call Mike a good friend. Knew him in the old days and the last five years as well. I'd jump with him any time, anywhere, no questions asked. Meeting up with Mike again five years ago, after not having seen him in something like 22 years was the best, it was like having a part of the old glory days back again. Mike's a character who has real character.

Well said. I did not know Mike in the old days but I am proud to call him my friend now.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Funny how the brutal honesty of a few people can awaken you to your true potential.

This is only one of the reasons why I'll never leave this sport.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Funny how the brutal honesty of a few people can awaken you to your true potential.

Just for kicks,,,, who are you? Your profile has nothing in it.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

The person that Gene03 was talking to corrected me. It was 'Boarderland' air sports center. It was owned and ran by Mac and Nina McDonald. And it was March 25 1978 when I made my first Jump. Anybody that has jumped there will remember Mac. He had a barogue Irish accent that was just honey to the ears.

I didn't sell my gear because I always wanted to jump again "Someday"

Mike's still got a lovely Wonderhog Sprint rig (the very last pre-Vector Booth rig, considered "cutting edge" in its day and the choice of the US Team for the 1979 World Championships), with a 220 ft Fury 7-cell main and a SAC reserve. It was quite the setup for its time, though it got some nervous stares when Mike first came back.

He has since acquired a 21st century rig and canopies, but still has the museum piece at home.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hi Randy

I remember you well along with your parrot and bus. I was a real asshole then and I've tried to clean up my act.
I'm still married to Maureen and we live in Woodland Hills CA. I started jumping again in Oct 03'. I managed to get in about 125 jumps before ai started to have medical problems. after a year or two I was ready to gor for it agin. then I lost my machinist job for various reasons and the economy took a dive. I'm still looking for a job and hope to get back in to jumping as soon as I can.
I think that we could of made that team"4- Sure" if my shit were together more.

Blue skies Bro. ST-51 ( Silly Tit ) Mike

Hi Steve

I want to thank you for remembering me. It means a lot to know that there are people from my past that still remember.
For the life of me I can't remember who you are. That's not to surprising considering what I was doing then after jumping and sometimes while we were jumping.

Blue Skies ST-51 Mike

Just for kicks,,,, who are you? Your profile has nothing in it.

If you had been around the sport since 1969 you might have crossed paths.

Make no mistake Gene knows what he is talking about and he is one of the most humble and intellectual people you will ever meet.

We should hold him down and give him a brand on his scrawny ass that says "Master Rigger"for he surely is that.

You are the lucky one Mike. O remember when you and Maureen got married. Yes the Magic Bus and Bo-Jangles my parrot that would help me pack the student gear.

I havent jumped in years. but would like to again. I have a daughter that turns 18 next March and she has told me she is doing a tandem jump for her birthday. This year she did the cable jump off the stratosphere in Las Vegas.

Maybe I'll go again when she goes? Keep in touch. I'll let you know.

When you do go again, if it has been over ten years since your last one, be sure to join the Skydiver Resurrection Award group. No fees, no dues, just nice people who had a break.

Jim Chandler
D4501
If you know how many guns you have - you don't have enough!