shotandahalf

Traditions

Kamikaze Cardinal

I remember that, went something like this.

Kokowinah Kamikaze,
Hajimay Mushitay,
Bonzi Itchidoe.

But I'm sure its not spelled like that
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Hoop - I suspect many of those were earned at the Wolverine?

Found my Pope card. Aug 24, 1967. I didn't turn 21 until a couple months later.

Pope Patrick the Minor.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Found my Pope card. Aug 24, 1967. I didn't turn 21 until a couple months later.

Pope Patrick the Minor.

Signed by Joe Pelter, I remember him.
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

Pope Patrick the Minor.

I got most of 'em in Germany when I'd travel down from Berlin to Bad Kreuznach to jump with the 7th Army Team. No slack from the likes of Callahan, Gene 'Indian' DelPagetto, John Womack, et al. But I gave zillions of demos in the Wolverine (later Odyssey) Bar in Z'hills. There's a vague recollection of dropping moths in acolytes' beer - but only after the first sip, lest the fluttering cause spillage.

My title of Pope James the Lenient was held to be a gross misrepresentation.

"Sir, may I have your permission to begin?"

Okay, I'll admit it: I was a bastard. Sorry, Jack.

Hoop

Sky Knights SPC - Tarantula Fizz - shot glass consisting of: 1/3 extra sharp ginger brandy, 1/3 Tequila and 1/3 Tabasco. Slam the shot, put the glass down and say "That's a Hearty drink"

Correction,
Pour the fizz into mouth, swish, gargle and then swallow.
"That's a hearty drink, Obie. I think I'll have another."

I was there and also knew Dick Hinks.
Sheesh, kids these days can't keep anything straight.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

...I remember giving a "few" demos at HPS in La Porte and in Hitchcock.

I tried at Doc A's place with Jesse Hall and the Bottrell Bros. I got totally wasted and still didn't pass. Not sure exactly how I got home that night...[:/]

Kevin

You got home with lots of help from great friends. But, with friends like that who needs enemies. I remember a TPC meet, in San Marcos, when Joe Stone asked for a demo for Cardinal. After many "Hang it" were called poor old Joe just went over backwards onto the hanger floor out cold. We loaded him into the car and took him back to the motel. We left him passed out in the back seat. Some time during the night he tried to find his room and ended up in the median of the highway amd passed out again. Nice friends, drink up maggot.

Hoop,

I certainly saw a few people playing that game when I got to Z-Hills in '73. As a non-drinker, I found it most entertaining. And, it's the game that keeps on giving, since the next morning you could see the participants playing another game where most of the previous nights intake was ejected rather violently.

I only saw Dead Ants played at that resteraunt/bar we used to go to north of Z-Hills on the way to Dade City. Valleyview was it? For some reason, even though I was the non-drinker there, I kept hitting the floor along with everyone else :o

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Rog,
I think it was the "wolverine" but may have been changed to another, the only other bar in town was "Pats Place" but it was ultra redneck and jumpers weren't recieved too well there.
I remember the woman who owned the bar, she was rather obese and when she died, it turned out she had requested "Six of the biggest skydivers to carry my coffin to the grave" I was one of the six, don't remember who else was there though....
It was a crazy place, the "expired pismier" game was at it's best, I can remember seeing everyone sitting at the bar just shoving backwards and crashing to the floor when the call was made by the "ant master" and the whole room flattening out.....needless to say, other paying customers were usually absent when the troops were in town.
I'm still looking for my log book to verify whether or not I made cardinal, I think I did anyway.
Makes you wonder how we survived........

Gee, I went to Pat's Place a lot, often in the company of the late Don Dupont, a major-league party animal.
But there was also (maybe somewhat later) the Crystal. Jumpers who had partied heavily there were sometimes described as "crystallized."
And there was the other really sleazy bar near OJ's. The British Marines hung out there a lot.

HW

That was "Aunt Margaret". She was the sister of the owner of the Wolverine and she had been an ambulance driver in the First World War. I was one of the other pallbearers that day. Strangely enough that was only time in my life I've been asked to perform that duty.

I vaguely remember the Valley View but do recall Pat's Place fairly well.

It was at the Wolverine that I led a 17 man streak through the bar. It was also the place I watched the live broadcast of Apollo 11 landing on the moon.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

I was talking about " dead ants" the other weekend down in clewiston. no one had ever heard of it. look at me like I was making it up. kids today[:/]

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

The one thing I remember most but now forgotten is Flamingos. At Freakport and early Quincy Roger gave out free jump tickets for the most gaudy and tasteless camp ground. We had a meeting of the mingos where everyone brought them by manifest during a weather hold. If you had a puptent it required at least 7 mingos. Motor homes had to be circled.
At Quincy one year a guy had it perfect mingos Mother Goose with babys Mother Skunk and babys. A white plastic picket fence the lawn gnome with the horse tie-up ring, and of course a bird bath with water. The poor guy went up on a jump to land and see a Baby Ruth candy bar toilet paper and Mountain Dew poured in the bath. I am sure you have seen the color of Mountain Dew in a clear container and the lumpy shape of a Baby Ruth.It worked as it was all tossed out.
Also ugly Christmas lights had a nice effect on making a campsite suitably gaudy. I only saw one site at Rantual with the proper spirit for shame for shame.

Sky Knights SPC - Tarantula Fizz - shot glass consisting of: 1/3 extra sharp ginger brandy, 1/3 Tequila and 1/3 Tabasco. Slam the shot, put the glass down and say "That's a Hearty drink"

Correction,

Hah! We *still* do these at Sky Knights. Back in 2007 we got word that Obie had passed away, so everyone did one in his honor at the club meeting.

Come on by and see us this summer, we'll make you one. :P

Correction,

Hah! We *still* do these at Sky Knights. Back in 2007 we got word that Obie had passed away, so everyone did one in his honor at the club meeting.

Come on by and see us this summer, we'll make you one. :P

Hi Amy,
I have a couple of them for breakfast every morning.;)
No, not really.:P

I think I'll stop by this winter some Saturday or Sunday though.

Are club meetings still on the second Saturday of the month?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Is anybody up for membership?
It's always wicked fun to watch a Noob in Ravin's Nest after a couple of beers to work up the nerve and on an empty stomach, swish, gargle, swallow and then run out to the railing and hurl.
Hope no one is standing below.

.........And there was the other really sleazy bar near OJ's. The British Marines hung out there a lot.

HW

that 'sleazy' bar was the Odyssey ... the most glorious sleazy bar ever... from spring 75 to late 80 i practically lived there..

Steve Fellows (the Jewish Pope AKA LoadToad) and I closed (we were there when they locked up) that bar 96 nights in row ... we kept track after we noticed we had done it for 2 weeks straight and would have kept going but we got to drunk to get to town from the airport on night 97......

tiny bar, cinder block walls, only beer and wine, 1 pool table and a fenced in back yard for 'safety' meetings...

Canadians and Brits loved the scuzzy little place.. and it was infested with all the local non-jumping rowdies who weren't allowed to go back to any other z-hills bars ... but oddly enough, every one got along... the locals apparently had declared it a DMZ ... in 4 yrs there I only saw 2 fights (and I was in one of them) and I was ALWAYS there...

Jim Kime (the Phantom) taught me how to play pol there and Jerry Cash taught me not to accept deep huffs out of a hash pipe unless you KNOW it's hash that's in the pipe ....

The Lodestar Fellows Owned ended up in Michigan at the Yankee Air (Force) Museum. I was one of the first to jump 17 Garbage in Marshall MI. The museum burnt to the ground a few years ago . They couldn't drag it out in time. It was always funny to be in a museum and say " I jumped out of that plane" At Wright- Pat in Ohio you could say I jumped out of one of those and one like that too. Steve Finkelstein {Real last name}still owes me the money he borrowed to buy it from the mechanic school