howardwhite

Closing tool

I used to see riggers use that general technique when we had rigs with metal loops, that fit over metal cones, which went through the flap grommets, to close a container. They would have a fitting that fit over the loops, attached to a loop of webbing that hang over the edge of the packing table. Then, putting a foot in the webbing loop and pushing downward cinched everything up tight, and kept both hands free to work on the cones and pins.

OMG i thought everything related to the R&J"classiflier" was burned (or should have been!)
countless stories of jumpers pulling the reserve and NOTHING!in one case (at united i think) the jumper actually reached around his back groping trying to open the reserve and ended up with the kicker plate in his hand!

If I remeber right??(God that was a long time ago)...I used to take the little strings out of 550 cord, and then use the gutted sheath for a cord. I'd put this through the cone and then through the grommet. I'd then wrap all that around a packing paddle and start pulling for all I was worth. You had to be tough to be a rigger back then...

Of course i did all this on the floor. We couldn't afford an honest to god packing table. Closed a lot of reserves like that. Some people said it resembled a monkey doing something unnatural to a football....:)

I used to take the little strings out of 550 cord, and then use the gutted sheath for a cord

With cones, you'd melt the ends so that you could poke it through the hole in the cone.

I still use one on loops; I like it a whole lot better than the ribbons; less abrasion. But, of course, no melted ends

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have the military tool that is a sheet metal 'hook' or fitting with webbing reenforced where your foot goes. Fits over the end tab to pull it over the cone. No photo but we discussed them on here a couple of years ago.

When I was jumping a SST prototype made for a statostar but with a strato cloud in it I used to use an old wooden steering toggle on my pull up cord and two feet on the rig to get it closed.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE