sornyd

The day the Arava left Otay

Sometime in 1983 Mirror Image was training at Otay out of the Arava. My pal Kim and I had roadtripped from Bozeman, MT to Perris - then continued on to Otay after hearing that they were looking for people to fill the plane during Mirror Image training loads. After we were there a day or two, the owner of the Arava pulled the plug on jumping and suddenly it was leaving the DZ...but not before one kick-ass flyby:

After the pilot took off and was looping around to buzz us, all who'd been jumping, including most of Mirror Image, lined the runway and dropped trou'. To this day I can remember looking between my legs, seeing that twin turbined football low enough to kick up dust and bearing down on a row of moons (including mine). It took every thing I had to 'hold position' as the turbines screamed over us. I know there were people taking pictures of this great event. If you know of a copy floating around - please let me know!!

- Dave S.

I was there!

I think I have some pics in my storage unit out in Sandyeggo, I'll try to check next time I'm on the left coast.

Were you living in Nordacoda back then?

I remember my room-mate (from Fargo) talking with some people that were down from that area to jump the football, may have been you guys.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I saw that same model of plane ( hell it could have been the same one ) out at Hinkley , Ill a few years back. At the time, i think it was Andre who was trying to get FAA approval to use it for jumping. i never heard the outcome,,,anyone else know the story ?
smile, be nice, enjoy life
FB # - 1083

Airt..:

'83 I was going to school in Bozeman -- that is when it didn't interfere with my skydiving and skiing schedule. Who was your Fargo roomy? I don't remember talking to anybody from North Decoder on that trip other than Ardell in Perris.

Howard: You did indeed post that somewhere else. I stumbled across it and that's what triggered my post. Thanks! Great memories.

Hi Lynrd,
Yup, Arava. Jumped it at perris and O-die! Cute plane, better have yer' frap hat on when ya' break ground cuz it got up there quick!! Floating was wierd cuz of the shape of the door on the fuse., hell, just jump out!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Put me on the list to own one of those lil buggers!
I would put real money up that that thing would take off straight slap up, yep, vertical.........lol....
Gotta be a superb little jump ship, a good workhorse for anything under 12,500 with those stubby wings, full length flaps and power to spare.....
Think I'll get a red/white/blue combo paint job with stars.......hahahaha

Pretty sure I posted this before....whatever..

HW

Howard,

Is there a jumpship that you do NOT have a photo of?

You have amazed me with C 97, Boeing 307, 749 Connie, Argosy, etc.

How about a Learstar? Convair 240-440 series?

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hmmm Godziller,
You obviously werent' around Z-hills when I was or you wouldn't make a statement like that.......hahahahahaha

I said "most" loadstar. from what I hear you could land a mohawk sideways on the runway.;)

Wanna low time airworthy Mohawk of your own?

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/N631OV-1B%20Mohawk%20Spec.htm

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

As I recall, mirror image was waiting for the plane to show up and was told it was not showing up because the insurance was not paid. People were not in a festive mood that day. The mooning incident was on a day when the plane was expected to return, probably on the weekend. Maybe I'm wrong it was 28 years ago. That was a cool plane though.

We jumped out of that in Honduras. They use it for training there elite paratroopers. kinda fun leaving the aircraft with little kids and their parents geeking us as we went out the door. Even better going out with the paratroopers at 800'. Nobody questioned the base rig i used. Or wined about opening a bit lower than they did.