2 2
patmoore

Lost Drop Zones Project

I learned to jump at Warm Springs Ga around 86. I think it was called Skydive Atlanta at one time, then Freefall Ranch. Banks and Debbie Brazell ran it. There was one in Jenkinsburg Ga I jumped at, I think called westwind at one time. I had quite an interesting jump experience around 90 at a place called Astroid PC somewhere in North Carolina. Also Barnwell SC vikings of Denmark, I jumped there in the late 80's. Live Oak Fl all through the 90's.
-------------------------------------------------
Lord please help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am.

Seven Hills is still a functioning club/dropzone.

This is one of the more fun threads to come along in a while on this forum.

It's amazing what you can pull out of the old brain after some rumination. Having kept logbooks helped too.

When i started in 1969 I remember something like 22-23 clubs in Wisconsin alone. (just don't ask me to name them) :)I would suspect there where a lot of smallish clubs everywhere in the US.

Okay, anybody remember the Annual Osceola Buffalo Hunt?
Or would be willing to admit to what I'm talking about?;)

“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

I forgot about Simsbury Airport in CT as well. It was a small operation that existed in the 1970s for a few years. It was very close to Bradley International, the major airport serving. Hartford CT/ Springfield, MA. I think they had altitude restrictions due to traffic going in and out of BDL.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Woodbine.... That sounded familiar. The ex and I moved to the DC area in 1976 and we found a small DZ called Woodbine. I made one jump there on October 10th of that year. The next week we drove to Pelicanland but for some reason never made a jump. That jump (number 2028) turned out to be the last one I ever made. My logbook was signed by Melanie Splendido (not sure of the spelling, the signature was hard to read). The second to last jump was in Riverview, FL and signed by the late Mac McGraw. The previous seven jumps were at a Florida Parachute Council meet at Indiantown where my logbook says I average 7.36 seconds in the style event. Unless I'm mistaken, all three DZs are now defunct.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Ya, and your spell check isn't working anymore either.
I still love ya though.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

There were a number of good Georgia DZs that are no more. I remember the Freefall Ranch quite well. I jumped there in '91-'92. They used to advertise quite heavily in Parachutist and Skydiving with a big pink flamingo logo. I also recall that they were USPA's first big airport access battle. The local county/city tried to run them off by refusing to renew the lease to the building they used.

I jumped once at Jenkinsburg as well. It was the old "ASC" and was commonly refered to as "Billy World" after Billy Rhodes, the DZO. I also jumped several times at Peach State Skydiving which I believe was in Covington.

My home DZ from 92-96 was Sydive Waycross at Waycross-Ware County Airport run by Jerry Hoekstra as an extension of his operation at Palatka. There was a prison off the end of the runway and we could always see the prisoners in the yard watching us jump. There was a local there, older guy whose name I forget, who always jumped without goggles. It was trip to see his eyelids fluttering in freefall.

CDR

Howdy Jeff.
I didn't mention it on purpose because I remembered your previous post and knew you would chime in here.
Okay, I can't type worth a f***. Ya got me on that.

Another post mentioned Trout Air.
That tickled my synapses for some reason.

sorry about that. i have been having mre and more alzhiemers moments lately.i DO remember woodbine , and fairton. i dont recall the one in bucks county tho. you must have known Don Shirley and Al Kanetsky?

Anyone who could remember my "D B Cooper skydiving" advert from way back then doesn't have a memory problem.

Yes, I remember them both. Don was a senior rigger who jumped with Bucks County Skydivers and did repair work for me. Al's connection escapes me at the moment but I remember his name.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

Woodbine.... The next week we drove to Pelicanland but for some reason never made a jump. That jump (number 2028) turned out to be the last one I ever made. ... The second to last jump was in Riverview, FL and signed by the late Mac McGraw.

The Woodbine where you jumped was in Maryland. I flew for that DZ a few weekends while their plane was being worked on for something.

Pelicanland was the most fun DZ I ever frequented. I got my I and JM rating there in '71. What a place!

I met Mac a few times, He was stationed at Navy Lakehurst, if I remember correctly. He and Bob Kubler owned a 182 together...or something like that.

My Woodbine was about 25 miles from Atlantic City.

Somebody mentioned how much fun this thread is: I agree. Is anyone actually keeping track of what we are dredging up?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

In '63 or maybe '64 I made a few jumps at a DZ run by Steve Snyder---before he opened the RipCord DZ in New Jersey---that was somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania. The only jumper I can remember by name is Dave DeWolf. Dave and I made our first 15 second delays out of the same plane at that DZ. Can anyone remember just where it was? Nitro, you may know.

There was another DZ in eastern PA near Downingtown. Not really a DZ, more like a farmer's field and a grass strip. A number of folks from the United Parachute Club came to jump there when their plane was down.

Yet another DZ that lasted less than a year was near Newton Square. That DZ was really a horse farm. We called the place "The Troop Farm" but I can't remember why. We had to commute 15 miles to the West Chester, PA airport because there was no landing strip. A guy named Ken Morrison was a part of the operation. I remember the name Tony Shepard who was a Navy rigger and made a few jumps with him. He put his cousin, Bruce Foster, out for his first jump... at night! Those were the days.

Strangely, I can't find my logbook for that period or I'd know the locations and have some meaningful signatures. Of course. back then not too many people had a license. I never bothered to get one until 1970 or so.

Somewhere in my attic I have a PCA patch from that time period. I'd really like to find that and my log. Does anyone remember when the name was changed from PCA to USPA?
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

im listing the ones i didnt see and can rem:

Canada: Arthur Ontario
Colorado: Skyswest, Loveland, Co
Oklahoma: Clinton, OK
Guthrie OK
Paradise, near Gouldsby OK, (near Norman)
Grandfield, OK, American Parachuting

There was a Brit who ran a small operation at Tahlequah for awhile in the early '70s, then moved to another airport in Oklahoma. For the life of me, can't remember his name or the second soon-to-be-defunct DZ.

hoop

small operation at Tahlequah for awhile in the early '70s, then moved to another airport in Oklahoma.

Would the second airport be Waggoner? It was used as an alternate/practice airport during Tahelquah Nationals times.

HW

Dunno, but I'm not going to bet the deed to my house on it. How many Nationals sites - such as Tahlequah and Richmond, for example - were not full-time dropzones?
Hoop

Awesome thread Pat!

Did anyone mention Skydive USA in Wharton, Texas? Pretty good operation run by Chuck Akers. I think it opened around '94.

It was scary sometimes to land and watch the clouds of mosquitos rise up when distrubed by your landing.

Anyone know the open and close dates?[:/]

I need to pull out my logbook and see what other DZs have closed.