SEREJumper

1967 Para-Commander

I don't have that one scanned, but I do have this.B|

HW

very cool....Ron Dionne and Buzz Bennett are both still jumping in BC.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Okay, y'all....a question for you PC experts. I currently own an all-black MK I PC dated 1970...no colors at all - solid black. Does this pattern have a name? I'd post a picture if I knew how - I can never get the size down small enough.

I don't have a name for it but I bet it was an old military HALO canopy.

Jack,

I seem to remember from my Pioneer days that the "HALO PC" - aka MC-3 - was OD. Of course, Pioneer made canopies for a number of government agencies to their specs...including LOPOs in the 1970s/1980s.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

man! I don't look a the forum for a while and I miss this great PC thread!
A friend of mine has a HALO PC that he jumps a few times a year. It's a 28' jumbo model and OD. Im not sure but the jumbo would probably have a different nomenclature thatn the 24' HALO PC. Here's a pic of me jumping another HALO PC he has last year. It's dark camo and the only markings on it are 1 and 24 on the respective gores.

ATW,
Cael

To get back to Howard's quiz here are the official names of the colour schemes -

1. New Red, White and Blue
2. Church Window
3. Carrousel
4. 007
5. Super Checkerboard
6. Gold Keyhole
7. New Dark Blue Tel Star
8. Black and Gold Checkerboard
9. Firebird
10. Thunderball
11. The Black Knight
12. Aztec

We've already seen my "Merry Widow" as posted by Beatnick

Here is the 1968 menu of colours as well as a picture of a real Carousel.

The Competition PC image I posted is called a "Sir Knight".

Can anyone advise if PCs were available at all in custom build colours?

Okay, y'all....a question for you PC experts. I currently own an all-black MK I PC dated 1970...no colors at all - solid black. Does this pattern have a name? I'd post a picture if I knew how - I can never get the size down small enough.

I don't have a name for it but I bet it was an old military HALO canopy.

As far as I know, all military HALO MC-3's were the 28' Jumbo PC and Olive Drab.

Hi lucky,

That photo looks like a Comp PC. Note the large steering windows/louvers. The Mk I had one large & 3 small steering windows/louvers; the large one at the rearmost position.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry,
I think youre right. The lines on it are shorter than a T-10 reserve. It knocked my socs off on opening. It flew great and then thumped me on landing. :P

ATW,
Cael

Can I ask an off-subject question, concerning P.C.'s? I figure if there is this many old timers thinking about para-commanders I can get the right answere.

What is the right length, to make your retainer line for your sleeve. I had a couple malfunctions back in the 70's because this line was too short. My sleeve and pilot chute ended up tangled in the back of my chute.

Bill Booth said that some jumpers used retainer lines that were almost too long to avoid this type of malfunction.

I'm putting together a new (0ld) para-commander rig and this line looks way too short. (maybe five feet). I think I'll put a new one on, a little longer than the sleeve. (maybe ten or twelve feet long.) Does that sound about right?.....

I'm putting together a new (0ld) para-commander rig and this line looks way too short. (maybe five feet). I think I'll put a new one on, a little longer than the sleeve. (maybe ten or twelve feet long.) Does that sound about right?.....

That bridal length has to be long enough for the sleeve to clear out of the way of the deployment.

Mine PC had a D-bag on it. Sleves are nice because they protect the canopy from Nylon against Nylon (from the S Folds) friction. And, both were fairly easy to pack. I always liked the bag though??

The guys with sleeves felt they didn't have to be as careful flaking the panels (NOT True!). After changing over to a sleeve, I changed back shortly after. Just a thought...

Try this link...
http://www.parachutehistory.com/round/pc.html

Let me know when you get it together. I'd like to jump it!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Hi steve,

There were two schools of thought:

1. A 'very' long retainer line to let the sleeve & pilot chute hang way over the canopy.

2. A rather short retainer line ( about 10" - 18" ) to keep the sleeve laying right in the depressed crown line area. This is the method that I used & would do still if setting up a PC.

Take your choice or try both and see what fits you,

JerryBaumchen

PS) I always preferred a bridle line of about 5'.

Hi andrew,

Nicely done.

I had forgotten that the Mk II had one less turning slot.

I always was of the opinion that the Mk II ( which had a very short life in sales; it was on the market for only about 1 year ) was built for two reasons:

1. Cheaper as lots of the gores were identical.

2. Had less forward speed which worked better for the Europeans who would not competitively jump in the winds that we would continue to jump/compete in here in the USA.

JerryBaumchen

Thanks all,
I bought a competition model P.C. a while back. I thought I was buying a MK-1. Then I found out that the competition model was more likely to malfunction due to the large hole in the back which can cause frontal closures. I also found out that they land quite a bit harder than the MK-1.

This canopy and container were in remarkably good condition though. So, I was wondering what to do with it. I figured I could always make a para-sail out of it.

I was reading through the para-commander hand book and got some good ideas.

I had a rigger shorten the two tall turning slots and sew in a data panel to cover the big hole in back. It's still short lined. I hope it won't land much harder than a MK-1. Now all I need to do is get it in the air.

I should have it at Lost Prairie this summer, if anyone wants to try it out.

I did jump a para-commander a few years back. It had been about 35 years since I had jumped a P.C. I landed like a ton of bricks, (seeing as how I'm now a fat old bastard). My Frenchies enabled me to stand it up though. It was kind of fun showing all the young "Whippersnappers" how it was done.