SEREJumper

1967 Para-Commander

Finally had a windy day to get my 1967 PC in the breeze (on the ground). This one was supposedly jumped a lot at Elsinore with a pretty interesting story to go along with it. Anyone seen a color pattern like this before? She is a beauty.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/paracommander/

Thanks for looking.

Kurt
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

It looks familiar to me. Seems I recall a guy in Boise had one like that when I started jumping there in 1973. I don't recall the name of the pattern though, although I do remember some other pattern names. I owned a "clown"

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Never saw that pattern.

Paul Laput (Cal Club Livermore CA circa 69) got a custom PC with lots of orange and black panels. We called it the Great Pumpkin. Anyone recall Paul and his PC?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Sounds like Beatnik has a FrankenPC.

I can see the rig now, squeeze type Capewell on one side, pull ring type on the other. Hey, it's all vintage so it's all good.

God bless Beatnik, he really needs it.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Jack,

Not a Black Widow pattern. My first rig (Pioneer three pin canvas container) included a MkI PC in the "Black Widow" pattern; apex was red, black "legs" and then white. I have a photo somewhere...yellow with age but no yellow in the canopy. :P

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

I've a very similar one that I regularly jump. Especially on our vintage weekends. It's a Competition though and I've to look for the date.

Now I've a closer look the colors are a like but the pattern is different.

** Know what you say but don't say all you know. **

There's one like that covering the ceiling in the loft at Skydive Delmarva.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I've a very similar one that I regularly jump. Especially on our vintage weekends. It's a Competition though and I've to look for the date.

How does that Competition model land. I've heard many stories about how much harder they land than a Mk-1.

I bought a competion model a few years back. I had the high turning slots shortened by a rigger. I hope to try it out this summer.....

I do recall the black widow pattern. I think I remember the clown pattern.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I loved my Red Devil P.C. I wish I still had that canopy.....

I'm really digging through the dead (KIA) brain cells here.

Could that pattern be something they called the Black Widow?

Hey, Jack! Toda Bone?
I'm thinking that the pattern you're reffering to is the "Merry Widow". It was black with a multi colored keyhole. A "Black Widow" would'nt be a very good name for a life saving device.:)The colors in this picture are the same as those used in the pattern called the "Aztec" but a different layout. there's a picture several posts down from yours that is an Aztec.
I hope everything is going fine for you. Don't bend the aircraft.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

OK, since everyone is having such fun dusting off cobwebs, here is the first of a set of little quizzes. Just assign a name to each number.
If this becomes too hard, maybe I'll provide the answers and you just have to match name to number.
There will be a prize, probably a free skydive at a DZ of my choice.B|

HW