skyjumpenfool

Sugar Alpha

History of Sugar Alpha? Tell us what you know…

After some conversations on another post and some really nice PM’s, I’ve decided to start this post. I’ve done some research (links below) and have not come across much info. I’m looking for any and all information about the DC-3, Sugar Alpha. Especially from those that were on the plane when it lost an engine at the FB Convention.
Please post any pics and as many facts as possible. I’m interested in all the “Legends” as well as the facts. For instance, I heard that it crashed a few years after the FB incident??? Is that true?

I thought this link was interesting… Can’t wait to read the book.
http://www.sugaralpha.com/

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3431452;page=3;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

What would make you guess that?

Wasn't that aircraft the jump platform for the daily demo into King's Island in the mid '80's?

I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

I still think DC3s are the greatest looking aircraft.
About 6 weeks ago One flew right over my house in Tauranga with a Texan in formation.!!!!
Damn near wet my pants:o

On the east side of the Oshkosh Airport, there's some kind of Airframe Restoration Facility with a huge DC-3 Boneyard... Might be related to the EAA??

Anyway, there are DC-3 and C-47 shells everywhere. They really were handsom aircraft. Lots of charactor!
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Wow, looks like the Lady's luck ran out sho 'nuff. Jumped it quite often in Dallas before Doc moved it to IL. Don't quite remember the story but isn't that storm damage?

Kind'a sad to see Sugar Alpha all faded out and so lonesome looking by herself on that ramp.:(

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

Wonder when the first skydives were made from her.
Made my first from the BIG airplane in North Vernon Indiana 1975.

"Uhaul"?? What was the story behind that? Just curious.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I can name them all. (Of course it helps that Skip Kniley thoughtfully captioned them when he made the movie from which this is stolen.)
The team was named "The Tailfeathers of Orange," in tribute (?) to Bird's team, "The Wings of Orange."
(Note that several people are jumping Bird "Ripoff" reserves.)

HW

Wow, looks like the Lady's luck ran out sho 'nuff. Jumped it quite often in Dallas before Doc moved it to IL. Don't quite remember the story but isn't that storm damage?

Kind'a sad to see Sugar Alpha all faded out and so lonesome looking by herself on that ramp.:(

Lady's Luck ran out in '02 (I think) one of that area's afternoon storms. The wind gusts were clocked at 100mph!!
LL was tied down with 3' augers the were just ripped out of the ground.
If it wasnt for the tree about 40' behind it would have been across the road and over the hill.
Picnic tables were wrapped around trees, the river raft tailer was moved off of it's blocks, lots of trees down etc. I don't think any of the rv's/trailers were damaged.
I've seen hurricanes that did less damage!
Always good times at SDC! :)
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"