skybill

Where were you at 00:00, 01,01,09??

Hi All,
It's still early here in NC but the New Year is off and running!! Just hung out at the house but was thinking of New Years Past! New Years 1968, Old Elsinore, Howard DGA-15P, Gus Norberg (pilot) 12.5K of course, me, Mike "Frenchy" Babineaux, Dale Moench, Gary Douris, and Cho (Korean guy). Suppose to exit 30 sec before midnight but got off 20 sec before and then the fun began. Got a hookup with Mike and we were waiting for the others, they took a while, when I noticed the front porch light on the house across the street from the DZ looked mighty big!! I yelled at Frenchy to PULL and I got my trash out! We were about a grand!! Gary got a night dead center in the peas by the packing tables(lights from tables on peas) and Frenchy broke his leg!! The guys carted Frenchy to the hospital and I went around on the frost covered DZ to police up everyone's gear. By the time I got to the Rumble Seat for my first beer of the year it was almost 2 AM and Bob Cox was bitching out Mayilyn Webb because she pulled a pitcher of beer from some joker doing a Pope Demo!!! Fun Night!! So, were there any good New Years' Dives (Sky or Base!!) out there???
BTW Gary still runs "Free Flight" around Elsinore somewhere and you can ask him, I'm sure he'll be glad to tell the story!! And ask him for a "Bat Cardinal!!!" demo!!!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Howard!,
"Old Yeller'" 418. Sy had about 3 DGA's on line at that time maybe 2?? So I'll check my logs and see if I wrote down the Buzz # ?? Real Good Photo of 418, I believe it was the last one of the bunch to fly!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Og 1,
We were holding a 2-way when I saw the porch light, so between me, YELLING!, letting go of grips, uncorking, and him getting a glimps of the hi-speed dirt below, he got the message. There was no moon so it was good and dark. We were out in the field between the old hanger and the road a couple hundred yards or so. Being that dark and no references, the horizon went BLACK! I went to 1/4 brakes and got in the PLF position, talk about a blind landing. I did OK but Frenchy broke his leg!!

As for the "Point Break" thing, He2xl!! they hadn't even filmed "Gypsy Moths" yet!! They were saving that "carrying on a conversation in free fall" till later!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I was on the 50th floor of some Houston hi-rise at an Oil Company bigwig 'muckity muck' New Years party we got invited to.
...at midnight I was looking out the window reminiscing about the 00:00 jumps at Elsinore we use to make. [:/]

For the previous 7-8 years we always went to some different & interesting place to ring in the new year with the kids- New York, San Francisco, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Tokyo...stayed home this year cuz the kids had their own plans, and trust me ~ NEVER AGAIN! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Nothing so exciting for me. I was just hanging out with the Mrs. on our 15th floor apartment balcony waiting for the fireworks to start down on the beach about a kilometer away.

The last 7 New Year's evenings have been here in Korea.

Jonesing for a jump as always in Korea!