davidlayne

Orange circa '60's

I thought this picture of the staff and aircraft of Orange Parachuting Center would be of interest.

It is. I'm in it.B|
That's Lew Sanborn in the blue pants and white T shirt in the front row. I'm in the second row, just behind and to his right as you look at the picture. Istel is in the bright yellow coveralls to Lew's left as you look at it.
The picture (which became a postcard) was taken by a very famous Life magazine photographer. It was taken in 1969.
There are a couple of other versions (one attached) in which a canopy (different ones in each version) is clearly visible over the bowl. No one has figured out where they came from, as all the local jump planes were on the ground.

HW

I just emailed Tom McCarthy (owner of Skydive Gananoque and going strong), he's 2nd row / 2nd from the right or so his memory tells him:P. He says he hasn't seen the original picture in years.

Tom was at Orange from 67 thru 69 (instructor 67, Asst Manager 68, and Manager in 69)

He quite often regales us with stories starting with "I remember back in Orange". Some of us like to beat him to the punch with that saying now....

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

I made my first jump out of that Norseman at Orange on December 2, 1962. Lew was my instructor and jumpmaster. I recall him saying I had the worst exit he had ever seen on a student.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!