Tuna-Salad

Skydiving History

Hi howard,

the first commercial skydiving center

Before we can determine when the first comm. center opened we should define the term 'commercial skydiving center.'

AFAIK, there were people charging to train jumpers well before Orange opened it's doors. This is not to belittle what Istel & Sanborn did but it does make one wonder about the 'first' comm. center.

Admittedly, when Orange opened it was waaayyy ahead of any of the others in it's facilities, training methods, etc.

JerryBaumchen

Before we can determine when the first comm. center opened we should define the term 'commercial skydiving center.'

OK.
1. Operated by a corporation and with the intention (not necessarily realized) of being profitable. (As opposed to a club, military recreational activity, Boy Scout Troop or ragtag band of gypsies, who also may charge for training.)
2. Open to the public, without requirement of "membership" (even temporary membership for the day, like bars in some dry states.)
3. In furtherance of that activity, advertising and getting coverage in local (and maybe even national) media. See attached.;)
Got any earlier candidates? I'm open to claims.

HW

You know how certain dates stick in your mind? December 2nd is one of those days for me. 46 years ago today my Dad took me to Orange for my first jump. It was my 16th birthday present (birthday was actually 10/25).

Hard to believe it's been 46 years.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Looking for a skydiver/ parachuter that's name is Peter good when he was in 1963 and Seattle area he was a skydiver many people have said that they have seen him in California do you know him or know of him his D number is 269 out of Washington state please help me. The US PA said that he got his license on February 5 1963 Washington

Jennikay, you've revived a very old thread. I'm not familiar with the gentleman in question.

Earlier in this thread, the question was raised as to the first commercial dropzone in America. Roxbury, CT lays claim to that distinction. See this article.
DZGone.com

Hi Pat - I remember glancing at that article when it was originally posted. Strangely enough I didn't notice the "Roxbury CT" before. I am pretty sure Good Hill Farm (Batch Ponds place) was in Woodbury CT.

Google Maps list Good Hill Farm Airport as being in Roxbury.

I'll see Lew Sanborn in early October and can ask him then. Lew was my jumpaster/instructor on my first jump in 1962.

DZGone.com has now identified 622 defunct DZs with more coming in every day.

Are you from Woodbury? I took some Giant Slalom gate training from Rod Taylor at Woodbury Ski Area many years ago.
DZGone.com

Pat - No, I'm not really from Woodbury but I lived there and went to Woodbury HS in '54. Of course I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'skydiving' at that time. I guess Woodbury and Roxbury were both so small they were sorta considered the same. I don't think Good Hill Farm Airport became such until some time in the '70s.

Woodbury Ski Area?