mjosparky

Old school exit!

How many remember when this was the way an exit was “pulled” out? A single file DC-3 exit. A single file DC-3 exit.:P

Sparky

No wonder it took so long for the first RW formations? >

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

"Right foot forward!
NO! Left foot forward!
Back Straight!
Squat Down!
Shuffle, shuffle!
Don't touch the door!"
:S:SB|

But, a good friend was killed at Freak Brothers in 1985 hitting the door and getting knocked out exiting a small door DC3 second from last of about 28.:| Guy behind her claims he didn't see anything. Hard to believe. Of course no AOD's (no typo, that's what they were called then).

edited based on Howard correcting my memory

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

a good friend was killed at Freak Brothers in 1985 hitting the door and getting knocked out exiting a small door DC3

I can imagine. I broke a helmet under similar circumstances in the late 70's. Knew I'd hit the door, and the front of it had a 3" crack in it.

I've pretty much always jumped with a helmet since then.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

And when you exited 40th you had a long and fast dive ahead...

You aint kidding. Last time I did that was 11 years ago at a 4th of July Skydive Chicago big way camp when they were doing formation loads with Mr Douglas and their two Otters. I miss shuffling in the longest line, but definitely not front floating the goddamn thing. :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

She had on a frap hat, of course. Most of the DZ's experienced jumpers were on the load. Lots of folks said they were going to get Protecs, and some AOD's. AFAIK not one helmet or AOD was added because of her death.

I was in that plane , in the group behind them. We were questioned as to whether we heard a bang as they exited or saw anything. Nobody heard anything. extraordinary.
As I remember the conclusion was that her neck was broken not by a bang against the door but more of a push past the door , by the folks behind.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The days of 10 way speed out the door! The last 2 or 3 jumpers would be airborne before getting to the door!

Many a jumper had "door bite" in those days.

I miss jumping "Our Douglas' at Perris. Sparky, where is Jan flying it now? I saw him at Long Beach Airport once with it about 10 years ago.

"Right foot forward!
NO! Left foot forward!
Back Straight!
Squat Down!
Shuffle, shuffle!
Don't touch the door!"

Reach forward and hold onto the sides of the container - no, not the person directly in front of you, nor the one in front of them, but the next person

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Right foot forward!
NO! Left foot forward!
Back Straight!
Squat Down!
Shuffle, shuffle!
Don't touch the door!"

Reach forward and hold onto the sides of the container - no, not the person directly in front of you, nor the one in front of them, but the next person

Yeah...try that bein' 6'4" 240# and wearin' a wart! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

As I remember the conclusion was that her neck was broken not by a bang against the door but more of a push past the door , by the folks behind

I'm 5'4", and don't really have to duck that much to go out the door; just a little. Which means that pushing on my butt has some tendency to straighten me up a little bit (try it -- it's kind of a normal thing to do). I'm pretty sure that's what happened when I hit the door, and I'm equally sure it didn't make that much of a noise.

I was really glad to have worn a hockey helmet that day.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

One of my favorite photos (I wish I had been looking at the camera!) was taken over Zephyrhills in the early 70's. A window was missing over the wing of the DC-3 and someone stuck a camera out of it. I was first to go in a mass exit and was trying to give the folks behind me plenty of room.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

At the recent US Nationals at Elroy one of the pilots flying there was able to convince the 10-way teams and the judges to run the last round of the 10-way speed formation competition into changing the final formation to a star and putting the teams out of the DC-3 with a no show, no grips exit.
Watching the videos of the teams' exits and swoops was hilarious. There were no new record times scored.

At the recent US Nationals at Elroy one of the pilots flying there was able to convince the 10-way teams and the judges to run the last round of the 10-way speed formation competition into changing the final formation to a star and putting the teams out of the DC-3 with a no show, no grips exit.
Watching the videos of the teams' exits and swoops was hilarious. There were no new record times scored.

I've been waiting to do that for the longest time and I missed it!:(
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Well I remember a single file snake of sorts. The last person was really kinda next to the door facing the front of the plane and ran to the front, made the turn and then back towards the door again.

But I never minded being front float when we did decide against a no show exit.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."