SEREJumper

So what is this vintage military gear?

Ok, my collection of vintage skydiving stuff is growing. My recent purchase was a few vintage military systems (I'll post on those later). The lot also included a few odd ball items I was wondering about, maybe some older military jumpers could help me answer.

The first is an interesting harness, capwells dated 1964. Has lateral and front adjustments as well as a one piece saddle, which Poynters manual on page 236 says that it would probably be an Army Parachute Team (APT) APT-4 harness. Anyone know for sure?

The second is pretty interesting. It looks to be a container, but it looks to be to small to fit a traditional canopy at the time (MC-3). Looks more like the size of a 24-26 foot reserve. Has a velcro flap for storage of pull up cords which protects the containers single closing loop. Has tubular nylon shroud with some old tacking at the end and a standard metal cable housing fits in there. Has the four normal closing flaps, plus 2 extra inside flaps, 2 "D" rings for anchoring the belly reserve, and a length of thick bungy cord on the bottom of the container. The 1 1/2 webbing on the top of the container had an X box stitch that was removed.

Here are the pics:

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Military/
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Ok, my collection of vintage skydiving stuff is growing. My recent purchase was a few vintage military systems (I'll post on those later). The lot also included a few odd ball items I was wondering about, maybe some older military jumpers could help me answer.

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Military/

Thats easy. Go to the DB Cooper thread. Thats the missing gear that Cooper wore out of the plane.
GOOD FIND !

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The container "looks" like the container supplied with the original reefed stratostar.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think it is though. The one I got with mine (I had the first production Strato Star in Florida) had a similar bungie cord to pull the pack open, but had one on each SIDE of the pack, not a single one on the bottom. I don't remember any of that webbing on mine either. Also, I never saw any Strato Star container in OD.

I suppose there could have been more than one design for it though. Mine went straight into my Wonderhog, so I never spent a lot of time with the "container" it came with.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I remember back in the early 80's the club at ft. campbell took a bunch of surplus military harnesses and built one pin containers to use them for static line and freefall. those are not it but maybe something along the same lines happened somewhere else maybe another military club?
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

the container IS the one that para flite supplied with each strato cloud. it is a second generation of the strato star container that they also supplied with each canopy. they were available in several different colors, but sage green or od wre usually shipped with any canopy going to a military customer ,such as the golden knights. later versions of the stato cloud container were made by rodriguez parachute and were 3 pin iirc.i know, i used to work there.