FreefallSnoopy

Jumping with sprained ankle

So I was gonna jump today, but decided against it because I have a mildly sprained ankle from Wednesday (and because its not quite warm enough).

Anyone have any experience jumping with a similar injury? I would assume that a PLF would be about the only safe way to do it, favoring the non-injured leg...

Why push it? There is always another day to jump. I sprained my knee last weekend at the DZ, and had to pull myself off a freefly camp this weekend because it's just not all tidy yet.

Seriously-- there is always another day down the road to jump!
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

So I was gonna jump today, but decided against it because I have a mildly sprained ankle from Wednesday (and because its not quite warm enough).

Anyone have any experience jumping with a similar injury? I would assume that a PLF would be about the only safe way to do it, favoring the non-injured leg...

It was a long time ago, when I had less than 100 jumps. I took the risk of jumping in high winds under a 235 sq ft canopy that was well under-loaded. Ended up missing the DZ and turning around to follow the wind so I could clear the mini-forest and land on the other side. Passed over the tree-line just mere feet above the tree tops and instinctively hooked into the wind, and wham! Right into soft dirt, badly spraining both ankles to the point they were moderately swollen.

I could barely walk the first 3 days, then my buddy calls me up and says to get my ass back out the very next weekend and jump, and I was like WTF?!? I couldn't see how. He just told me to wrap them up and suck it up (he's former army).

So, I pulled on tight ace wrap pull-on's, then 2 pairs of socks and my high top sneakers, and went jumping that weekend. And the next, and the next, and 10 more weekends after that, without a break.

In a way, it was a psychological advantage to jump as soon as possible after an accident so you don't have time to let fear get into your head.

It's not for everyone. I'm not going to tell you to do one thing or another. It's your body, your decision. In retrospect, did I think I was fucking nuts to jump so soon? Yep.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Running out a landing after spraining your ankle on a previous landing sucks if you are an old fart, goddamn the old days still seem better...

The difference is back then I was jumping a Falcon 235 loaded well under 1:1. I weighed 145 lbs naked at the time. So in light winds I could just stand it up with a step or two, sometimes none!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I would assume that a PLF would be about the only safe way to do it, favoring the non-injured leg...

That is in fact the best recipe to end up with your other leg also injured since you'll be concentrating on NOT landing on the injured leg in stead of concentrating on a good landing...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... :S

During week-courses we used to give this always came up a couple of times every season since students with mildly sprained ankles often wanted to finish the course in the week they had planned in stead of returning later for their remaining jumps. So much that I worked out a test where I let them run and turn 5 times at speed between 2 chairs that were 10 meter apart.

Worked like a charm in convincing them they indeed needed 2 good legs to land on :)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

That is in fact the best recipe to end up with your other leg also injured since you'll be concentrating on NOT landing on the injured leg in stead of concentrating on a good landing..

it's weird how the same ingredients and method can yield more than one recipe...

[I]Not Shmaht...

For several weeks as a student, I jumped when I could barely walk from a bad ankle sprain. I got away w/it, but it was a stupid thing to do. A sprained Ankle is vulnerable to being injured more seriously. You're also more apt to screw up your good leg.

I can't say not to do it, when I did. I can warn you it's not the brightest thing to do, though. What's the rush? The season is just getting started. Hurt yourself worse, & you'll be out of commission for MONTHS. No time to jump for the next month? Great. Heal your Ankle, & return to the sky when you're ready. It really isn't going anywhere...

I would assume that a PLF would be about the only safe way to do it, favoring the non-injured leg...

That is in fact the best recipe to end up with your other leg also injured since you'll be concentrating on NOT landing on the injured leg in stead of concentrating on a good landing...

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt... :S

During week-courses we used to give this always came up a couple of times every season since students with mildly sprained ankles often wanted to finish the course in the week they had planned in stead of returning later for their remaining jumps. So much that I worked out a test where I let them run and turn 5 times at speed between 2 chairs that were 10 meter apart.

Worked like a charm in convincing them they indeed needed 2 good legs to land on :)

Yup... My test was 3 PLFs from the back of a pickup truck.. One front, one side, one rear. When they pick which side,.. they'll always choose the strong side first. tell them to do the other side... :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

My advice is this: How bad does the ankle feel? Go stand on top of a counter or table, and jump off of it, landing in a PLF. How did that feel? That's at low speeds. If it hurt a bit, don't go jumping. If you didn't feel anything...well, i'm not going to say "go for it"...it's your ankle, not mine.

From experience I jumped with a sprained ankle, and like a previous poster said...you'll focus so hard on not landing on the bad ankle, that you'll end up spraining your other ankle.

Best to heal up before jumping and taking risks. There will always be another load call on another day...

Cheers!

A good sprain can take 4-6 weeks to heal.

During this time you should be resting and rehabbing it with stretching, strengthening and mobility exercises.

While it is healing, the tendons are more vulnerable to injury and worsening injuries including fractures since the soft tissue is weak.

When you return, I have found a good purchase to be the simple figure-8 brace from www.asoankle.com.

Still use mine for Zone Acc.

///no financial affiliation with them.

I dislocated my foot a few years ago 1 week before the Holiday Boogie at Skydive Arizona. Since I didnt want to miss the Boogie I bought a nice brace and made 25 jumps landing on my Ass. I did have a bigger canopy that I loaded 1.1 and could do the landings with no problem. I was in a lot of pain after the 3rd day mostly from walking back after jumping but I did manage to get some jumps in. Looking back it was not smart, one wrong turn and I would have messed it up even more, I guess I just got lucky. Now 6 years later, when it get cold it hurts like a bitch. Let it heal save the jumping for another day, dont wreck yourself even more.
HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

In general, you should try to avoid short-term decisions with likely long-term consequences.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I had minor surgery to my "bad" leg once but it was ok to jump. However I favored my "good" leg too much and broke it. Then my "bad" leg became my "good" leg.

Sit it out.
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Although I dont want to be seen going against the medical profession, jumping with an injury is only what you want to make it.
I've jumped with pulled ligaments ( which they say is worse than a break) and Ive jumped with a smashed ankle on two occassions, and many broken wrists and other things.
I'll be the first to say it hurts, but only if you keep telling yourself that. If you ignore the hurt and just go do your thing, when you drive home from the DZ you'll either be in more pain than originally, or you'll have won the contest, and your body will tell you you did the right thing.....and I believe you'll have a big smile from ear to ear.
At this point in time, I live on percodan...morning, noon, and night. I get by, even with the aches and pains, and sometimes it is really bad enough to tell me NO, don't go right now, and other times I tell myself, Hell, I can beat this, and go do it.
Ive spent a lot of time over the years healing my injuries, and even though they are still with me, and will be to the end, I tell myself, I can have my way, and it is all part of the game.
Good luck with whatever you decide, and as for me....I would say go do your thing, and enjoy...even with a bit of pain.
Some days are worse than others....just do it, and maybe get some Percs.

went to eloy about 7 years ago with 6 others, got there at the dz at 2pm, manifested, first jump (gonna be there for 8 days) no wind, higher altitude and 90 jumps under my belt, well the landing was not good, very bad ankle, 2 busted ribs... wtf sat around for 2 days and said "fuck it" traveled 2k miles to jump... so the next 20 jumps i landed like a stork with one foot up. I just prayed and packed well so not hard openings would hurt my ribs. in retro i would have flown home, not worth the risk. I still to this day lift my left foot because its still not quite right. Cant undo it but can share my story

i jumped with a broken hand in a cast. the way my hand was casted allowed me to squeeze my left index finger and thumb through my left toggle and steer/land without incident.

it just looked rediculous skydiving with a bright pink cast, but i rocked it!
gravity brings me down.........

I had minor surgery to my "bad" leg once but it was ok to jump. However I favored my "good" leg too much and broke it. Then my "bad" leg became my "good" leg.

Sit it out.

+1

40 yrs ago got a owee on my ankle from jumping in high winds.

Jumped the next weekend and unknowingly favored the bad ankle and broke the ankle and fib on the good leg.

Instead of waiting a week or two for the original owee to heal I had to wait a couple of month's for the broken leg to heal.

R
One Jump Wonder