nitrochute

Doug Angel

any one remember Doug Angel? one of the early instructors/jumpmaster at Parachutes incorporated?later opened his own drop zone (Skydive East) in NJ.
Anyone know what he is doing these days?

Anyone remember his "mid summer night's eve " parties(held on the longest day of the year)?

remenber his drink , The Cutaway?anyone know the recipe?

Doug was my FJC instructor and I later worked for him at PI; I made a couple of jumps at his DZ in New Jersery (he was still using T-10 rounds and belly reserves into the early 2000s.) I remember both the parties and the Cutaway, but I don't know the recipe (it came in a pitcher, and was deadly.)
As far as I know he's still living in NJ, but closed his DZ several years ago.

HW

My first 5 jumps were at Skydive East back in the Summer and Fall of 1992. 5 static line jumps on modified T-10s and belly mounted reserves.

I believe they split up the first Jump Class into 2 classes. Doug instructed 1 class and Dick Lee instructed another. My class had Dick Lee but during some later jumps Doug was my jumpmaster. Both were legends and have some pretty low license numbers as written in my Log Book.

A really fun guy there was Harry "The Ground Instructor". He was a PI and has some great stories.

Unless it is a different Doug Angel, Doug is still jumping, one of our pilots at Skydive Jersey Shore flew a demo for him earlier this summer.

Well, he tried to fly a demo. Doug Angel now jumps as a part of his Demo team "the falling angels". if you google it you can find contact info for him. I flew several of his demos. I also worked with a Dave Kopp in Farmingdale, NJ who use to have lots of stories about him and Skydive East.

Doug Angel put me out on my second or third SL jump at Tri-State in '62. He was a real nice guy, quite and unassuming- truly one of the good guys. He put my mother out on her First Jump. Another JM teaching the FJC at TriState at the time was Carl Blessing, and the two- Blessing and Angel often taught together. The joke at the DZ was that with names like Blessing and Angel they'd never lose a student. When TriState closed Doug moved on to Lakewood, NJ for a time.
Tri-State was a large operation at the time, with as many as 20-30 FJ students on a weekend, many from NY city.
Some of the other Jumpers there were Tom Murray, D200, Bill Markhoff, Sonny Thoren, Mike Hilden (now a Professor of Advanced Math at U of Hawaii), Joe Dye, George Gividen (had a wooden leg, but removed it to jump), Frank Shoch (jumped into Normany with the 82nd Airborne, and was a rigger also). I was told that Murray and Gividen once used Gividen's wooden leg in lieu of a baton, and passed it in free fall.

I used to jump sometimes in the early 80s at skydive east. In 1981
I had a cast on my right arm from being hit by a car while on my bicycle, I had about 700 jumps then, a fair amount for that time. I asked Doug if it was ok with him (DZO) to jump. He just looked at me and said "You know what you can and can't do" very cool guy. I jumped, no problem. I did scare a rookie when I flew very fast to close third, slowed and had a soft dock. Later on the ground he told me all he could see was a large very hard cast coming at him.

over the years ive met lots of jumpers. some you stay friends with and some you lose touch with. one i did stay long time good friends with, and never lost touch gave me my first shot at working at his dz. did my first demos into the fireworks on some 4th of july's with him. he could be a cranky old bastid, and id bust his balls about it. most of it was a front. now, im the type of guy that takes something and runs with it. he never heard the end of it from me the day he was climbing into the plane in front of me and i noticed he had stapled the spandex on his boc to his rig. "dont worry about it, its just got to last for this jump"...... im like, did you even unpack the main or take the damn pc out before you did that? or his old school camera helmet, which consisted of a motorcycle helmet, with what i think was a 16mm movie camera side mounted, and a huge 10 pound counter weight on the other side so he could hold his head straight. i remember going up in the loft and the line of t-10 rigs reminding me of when truman sparks slaps the rig and the dust comes off it saying "dont worry, i repack these babies every week"...... the huge blown up pic on his wall in his office with a bath tub in freefall for a commercial or something like that. (i still have to get a copy of that one) he always had an old school story to tell, most with some kind of carnage, cops, drugs, alcohol, women, nakedness, pissed off boyfriends with guns, etc...it goes on and on. he even eventually wrote a book with some of it in there. we would meet sometimes for dinner, or drinks, parties at our house or his, or sometimes just a random visit. i ended up moving out here just minutes away from his house and the dz that i first worked at. we got to see each other more, but never enough though. always plans to meet up, him or i would call each other and we would do the "yeah, i know, i was gonna call and then got busy and forgot". today i am numb writing this. after doing 4 years of almost constant chemo, every kind imaginable, longer than anyone ive ever heard of, and never really even bitching about it, he lost his battle yesterday. fly free old friend. BSBD Doug Angel.
over the years ive met lots of jumpers. some you stay friends with and some you lose touch with. one i did stay long time good friends with, and never lost touch gave me my first shot at working at his dz. did my first demos into the fireworks on some 4th of july's with him. he could be a cranky old bastid, and id bust his balls about it. most of it was a front. now, im the type of guy that takes something and runs with it. he never heard the end of it from me the day he was climbing into the plane in front of me and i noticed he had stapled the spandex on his boc to his rig. "dont worry about it, its just got to last for this jump"...... im like, did you even unpack the main or take the damn pc out before you did that? or his old school camera helmet, which consisted of a motorcycle helmet, with what i think was a 16mm movie camera side mounted, and a huge counter weight on the other side so he could hold his head straight. i remember going up in the loft and the line of t-10 rigs reminding me of when truman sparks slaps the rig and the dust comes off it saying "dont worry, i repack these babies every week"...... the huge blown up pic on his wall in his office of a bath tub in freefall for a commercial or something like that. (i still have to get a copy of that one) he always had an old school story to tell, most with some kind of carnage, cops, drugs, alcohol, women, pissed off boyfriends with guns, etc...it goes on and on. he even eventually wrote a book with some of it in there. we would meet sometimes for dinner, or drinks, parties at our house or his, or sometimes just a random visit. i ended up moving out here just minutes away from his house and the dz that i first worked at. we got to see each other more, but never enough though. always plans to meet up, him or i would call each other and we would do the "yeah, i know, i was gonna call and then got busy and forgot". today i am numb writing this. after doing 4 years of almost constant chemo, every kind imaginable, longer than anyone ive ever heard of, and never really even bitching about it, he lost his battle at 2:28 pm on december 31st. BSBD Doug Angel.

howard white, i hope you dont mind, ive seen that pic before, and some others. i am going to borrow it for a memorial page i am in the process of making for him. message me and ill pay you back for the pic use with the recipe for the cutaway......doug loved a good stiff drink....tomorrow i am stopping by to see tammy and have a few drinks with her. we are going to go through old pics. i made a couple posts with the same above on a couple facebook groups. one is oldschool skydivers, the other is skydivers who traded their parachutes for wings. please, if you knew doug, go there and share an old war story. he always had tons of them and his friends always had some about him.....i know i sure as hell do. i know im necro bumping an old thread, but i saw it on a search so i posted this here because i saw a few people who have been around him and skydive east.

When did Doug pass away? Dick Lee put me out on my first jump but Doug was there and he later put me out on a few jumps. A few years ago (maybe 2yrs) I was thinking of those days and I looked up the skydive east phone number and called it just to see if anyone would answer. To my surprise someone answered the phone "hello". I asked if it was skydive east. The person responded that it had closed down. I asked whom it was speaking to and he replied "Doug Angel". I said hello and told him that he and Dick Lee had put me out on 5 SLs in 1992. I thanked him and we talked for a while about what we had been doing since that time. Then we said goodbye but I promised to stop by and see him sometime. That time never came. RIP Doug! Thank you for introducing me to the sport. Blue Skies!

Doug Angel was one of the good guys at PI in Orange. One cold winter day, Jan. 22, 1961 with the sun shining brightly I convinced him to let me jump a Para Commander static line. He was very, very nervous. I may have been the first student to ever do that. Bill Tobin was my JM. Doug was standing on the ground talking to me on the radio. It opened, I played with it--and landed without incident. That night at "The Inn" we celebrated with Cutaways. Here is the recipe.
One part vodka, one part gin, one part white rum, fill half way with sour mix syrup and then top off the rest of a 12 oz beer glass with beer.

I visited Orange this past summer and as I walked into the office I beheld John Carlson. Still alive--still there--and still jumping occasionally. We reminisced and looked at all the sigs in my old PI logbook. Butch Rubb, Howie White, Doug, Pat Gorham, Al Smith, Vic Deveau, Lew Sanborn, and yes even the man himself--Jacques Istel. I was sorry to hear about Doug's passing. I liked him a lot--he always offered constructive criticism and wanted to help a newbie like me. Blue Skies, Doug from Cardinal Ed.

It had to be after June 1964 because the PC wasn't available before then.

katzas

Doug Angel was one of the good guys at PI in Orange. One cold winter day, Jan. 22, 1961 with the sun shining brightly I convinced him to let me jump a Para Commander static line. He was very, very nervous. I may have been the first student to ever do that. Bill Tobin was my JM. Doug was standing on the ground talking to me on the radio. It opened, I played with it--and landed without incident. That night at "The Inn" we celebrated with Cutaways. Here is the recipe.
One part vodka, one part gin, one part white rum, fill half way with sour mix syrup and then top off the rest of a 12 oz beer glass with beer.

I visited Orange this past summer and as I walked into the office I beheld John Carlson. Still alive--still there--and still jumping occasionally. We reminisced and looked at all the sigs in my old PI logbook. Butch Rubb, Howie White, Doug, Pat Gorham, Al Smith, Vic Deveau, Lew Sanborn, and yes even the man himself--Jacques Istel. I was sorry to hear about Doug's passing. I liked him a lot--he always offered constructive criticism and wanted to help a newbie like me. Blue Skies, Doug from Cardinal Ed.