howardwhite

Who/where?

Hi HW,
Yup, R/C Skydiving!! Like Nick said it was in Scarachutist and some years ago in Model Aviation (have to look thru my archives to find the issue!). Check the website www.rcuniverse.co and in the discussion forums there's a column on R/C Skydiving!! (at the beginning of the discussion forums there's a heading for 'radios, batteries and the clubhouse', down a few forums is 'unusual R/C' and a sub topic is R/C Skydiving) I post on the site as "skybill" also. These guys really get into it!! Only with "Model Aviation" can I say,"There isn't a plane I've crashed that I havn't walked away from!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

About 10 years ago Cox used to sell a freefly helicopter that ejected a jumper at the apex of its flight and then autorotated to the ground. It was pretty unreliable but a lot of fun when the DZ was weathered.

hahahaha
YES///
gasoline powered with the famous .049 Cox engine.

i think it was a Huey.
My sister gave me one for Christmas back then, and it flew good.

The key was a small gas tank...which would power the aircraft Upward.
Then when the fuel ran out, the rotor blades were able to "reverse pitch' and as the descent began, a trip mechanism would simultaneously flip the side door Up B|;):)
As the to success or non success of the deployment,, well THAT was iffy, depending on the packjob, and on whether the "parachute man" had paid his rigger the day before;)B|:o:)
Mine hasn't flown now, in a while, but it DOES sit on a shelf at my home....

no radio control here... just gas it, hook the battery lead to the glowplug,,, Flick the prop.. ( Yes it did have a little propeller above the rotor blades, which provided the thrust, ) the rotors "autorotated' in both the climb AND the descent mode...The motor was mounted right above the Hub for the rotors...
Played with it at the DZ more than once...

jimmy the kid.:D\
P S i also had the P 40 Warhawk "fly by string" Cox gas plane AND the Bright orange
"Baja-Bug". by Cox. which was really cool because it had a little tiny string Puller, just like on a lawn mower,,,,, to crank up the engine.. AH the good old days...:)

I recall in 81 or 82 some guy had a r/c sky van a the turkey meet. it would put out several jumpers at the same time. every now and then you would look up and see a malfunction, then realize it was a r/c jumper. i think even the small squares were steerable.