diablopilot

Elsinore in 73-75.

Got to jump with a fun woman today (tandem), who had a log book from previous jumps at Elsinore between 73 and 75.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3299249;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Reading it was a treat.

The Aircraft was a Howard, pilot was Gary Douris.

There was a business card in the log book, IIRC the chief instructors name was John Dickson?

The only instructors signature I could make out was "Larry F."

She made jumps on 28 and 35 foot mains, 24 and 26 reserves. Had good landings, and good dummy pulls.

The was a great looking first jump certificate, and a pair of Elsinore stickers. They were beautiful.

I wouldn't give up a thing about my 10 years in this sport, but I still feel I missed a golden age in this sport!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I still feel I missed a golden age in this sport!

There's no way to argue that the technical improvements in the sport in recent years are not incredible. Whether you're talking about equipment or performance, we weren't able to do the things that are being done today.

On the other hand, the 76 person nude ground star at the 1976 SCRambles, the jumps into Fran's Ranch, round robins, bandit jumps into the park at night, impromptu nude water jumps into the Colorado River in front of the Sundance, and yes, even splinting a broken leg with a beer carton and duct tape are memories I'll cherish as long as I live.
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

Hi Harry,
......AND!,... the wet T-shirt contests (there were several) on the packing tables at the stumbles [SKIN TO WIN!!!!!!]!! Also watching 16mm skydiving movies (before air to air video) on those same packing tables !!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

The only instructors signature I could make out was "Larry F."

Larry Fatino maybe ? I think he managed the dropzone sometime in the eighties. And of course he died in the Perris Otter crash.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I was hitchhiking around the country in 73 and stopped in Elsinore on labor day weekend, they were doing a 30 man record with captain Hook& sky pirates. I met this guy named Scratch there(Skrath Garrison) Anyway it was a real different experience for an East Coast jumper! I was impressed with west coast jumpers attitudes>

Hey Skcratch,
Your right, It really is a small world!! Like I said to another jumper, I never thought back then(32 years ago) that I would get the chance to communicate with someone I met years ago on some computer. Anyway I just remember you were soft spoken and was very nice to me, You were one of the first REAL California people I ever met and made me feel welcome at Elsinore that weekend! Thanks!!

> made me feel welcome

That's one of the things that I remember
about traveling as a jumper. You could go
all over the world and be part of the jumping
family.

Maybe we'll cross paths sometime again.

Skr

One of the best sayings I have ever heard in this sport is-

"In Skydiving there are no strangers, just friends who haven't met yet."

:)

Christmas/New Years of 1974 three of us from Houston (Jerry Hanus, B-8914, Mike Neidigh, C-10562) made a road trip from Texas to Southern Cal. We stopped at several DZ's going and on the return trip. I will never forget Elsinore and Patty Wickliffe, D-1696. What a beautiful bundle of joy and life, she was! She made us feel right at home and welcome. That is one DZ that I will never forget.