patmoore

Photo Album 1966 - 1976

What happened to Mac McGraw? I made a number of jumps at Riverview when he ran the place.

Sadly Mac was killed in a helicopter mishap a couple of years ago.

When did you jump at Riverview? I made a lot of jumps there from 74-76.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Thanks for the news about Mac. That's too bad, he was a good guy. I jumped there off and on about when you did. I'm Gary Thompson, D-4616. I jumped a Church Window PC and was a skinny tall guy with sandy colored hair. I remember when Richard Bach made his jumps there, I didn't happen to be here when he was. I met Ski and Donna Chimiel (can't remember how to spell it.) Also, Warren Kauffman was a good of mine who jumped there. I also did a lot of jumping at a SOD Farm a few miles north of Riverview as a member of the USF Sport Parachute Club. Are you still jumping? I had to quit recently - I got COPD and have lost about 50% of my lung capacity. Blue Skies my friend and thanks for the news about Mac, sad though it is.

Gary

Hey Beets,

How ' bout this: John Clugston, Ted Barnes, RD (Randy Drais), Bill Martin, The Selways, Damit (Dave Demme), Gina, Ratso, et al. George Bolen and the cargo door beech with the 8 track player stuck on Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album. And who could forget the Grog Shop?! ... Yes it's an older version of me!! I think I still have my York Skydivers membership card. I saw a video clip that included Ted Barnes not that long ago. It's good to know some of you are still jumping. Unfortunately, as you may have noticed above from my note to patmoore, I have a progressive lung disease which has taken away about half of my lung function. There's no cure. So, 13,000 feet is not a good place for me to be any more. I'd love to see you guys again! Oh, by the way - Steve was Steve Mitchell. We lived close together in VA so we usually rode up together. He went back to his native ST Louis decades ago and I lost touch with him.

Brokenwing.

"Damit" (Dave Demme) is still around. I last saw him 5-6 years ago doing 100-way attempts with Sandy Wambach (RIP) at Cross Keys in NJ. His wife, Elaine (RIP) died a few years ago. He's still jumping as far as I know.

Blue Skies,
Gary Thompson
D-4616

Thanks for the news about Mac. That's too bad, he was a good guy. I jumped there off and on about when you did. I'm Gary Thompson, D-4616. I jumped a Church Window PC and was a skinny tall guy with sandy colored hair. I remember when Richard Bach made his jumps there, I didn't happen to be here when he was. I met Ski and Donna Chimiel (can't remember how to spell it.) Also, Warren Kauffman was a good of mine who jumped there. I also did a lot of jumping at a SOD Farm a few miles north of Riverview as a member of the USF Sport Parachute Club. Are you still jumping? I had to quit recently - I got COPD and have lost about 50% of my lung capacity. Blue Skies my friend and thanks for the news about Mac, sad though it is.

Gary

Ever get one of Warren's cards? I too jumped at the Sod Farm quite a bit.

Ski and Donna's last name is spelled: Chmielewski

Pat, great album so far! Keep em coming...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Roger-

Don't remember if I got one of Warren's cards. Your name sounds somewhat familiar and I think I'm getting a mental picture of what you looked like back then. Did you ever know Mike McPhillips or Ric Haglund?

Gary Thompson
D-4616, NSCR 777

Yes, I knew them both. Here is what I looked like when jumping at the Sod Farm (in fact this shot is at the Sod Farm): http://www.dropzone.com/photos/Detailed/Personal/Left_to_right_Roger_Clark_-_Traci_Trimble_-_Greg_Baker_110879.html

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Roger, This is too cool!!! You are exactly the person I was thinking of when I think of Roger Clark. I remember the bearded guy you were talking to as well but I can't think of his name. When I saw your picture I let out such a war whoop my wife came to see what was the matter with me. You have made my entire week!

Roger, This is too cool!!! You are exactly the person I was thinking of when I think of Roger Clark. I remember the bearded guy you were talking to as well but I can't think of his name. When I saw your picture I let out such a war whoop my wife came to see what was the matter with me. You have made my entire week!

Caption is over the picture. The bearded guy is Greg Baker, another Sod Farm regular. The girl is Traci Trimble, sister of a good friend, but not a jumper. I'm sure I know you as well; any photos of you from that period floating around?

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

You are correct. The PC is backwards. Note the caption says "Oops!" I think I took that shot at an accuracy meet in Gainesville, FL in the early 70s but not positive.

Here's another link to the album.

See if you can spot a very young Bill Booth in this photo.

If I ever retire, I'll scan more slides and update the album.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Roger,

I think I can find a pic - but our printer/scanner is down and the computer is on its last legs. We're gonna replace our system next wk - then I'll see what I can find and send it along.

GT

I'll watch for your next post here :)

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Roger,

Check your e-mail - I sent along 4 pics yesterday,

Blue Skies,

Gary

And a nice set of photos too! I do remember seeing you at the Sod Farm, but I don't think we made any jumps together (but it was a long time ago). What did you use for the intentional cutaway? I used a Pioneer Pig Rig with a front mounted reserve for mine (I did two of them). When I had a real mal, it was "almost" routine...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Roger,

I thought that might be the case. I'm surprised you remember seeing me. At that point you had more experience than I did and you traveled in "higher circles". We less experienced folks knew who the "heavies" were, and you were one of them. That's why I asked about Mike McPhillips and Ric Haglund - they were experienced enough to travel at your level. Eventually, I got into Allen Gencarelle's 49 way diamonds at the Herd Boogie, the world's 1st 100 way attempt and 5 point 16 ways at West Point. Let's keep in touch - I really enjoy "talking" to you. We can do e-mail if you like to keep from clogging up DZ.com - but either way - your choice- I'd like to keep in touch.

Blue Skies,

Gary

Roger,

I used an old style pig rig (looked like a chest mount reserve stacked on top of a mini-system) with a chest mount reserve. I forgot to assume the proper body position when I cut away and went unstable. I did a 10 second delay after cut-away. It was like driving down the street at 100 MPH and throwing an anchor out!

Happy Skiing,

Gary

Pat,

You provided me with the information on Mac McGraw that I had asked for in the forum. We were trying to figure out if our paths crossed at Riverview. I dug up my first logbook. Jumps numbers 83 and 86 (86 was the first anniversary of my first jump) are signed off by Pat Moore! Briefly, our paths did cross approximately 39 years ago in Riverview, Fla.

Blue Skies,

Gary Thompson
D-4616

small dave dewolf side story about backwards canopies --

back in the early 70s when squares were first coming to PA -- small DZ outside of Palmyra at the end of a weekday. Dave was offered his first square jump -- it was to be ready for him as soon as he landed from a jump so he could make the last load of the day.

28' TU put in backwards but Dave hit center peas -- dont recall if it was a DC or not but close -- ended with the famous dewolf chuckle.