wdy_bnckr

Pops Meet "65-'66

Gene Paul from the old daze. Thanks for the pics!

Funny story - After jumping at Raeford for a couple of years, I was pretty good at backflips after RW with a very minimal loss of altitude (like 3~5 feet). Hell, after watching all those ground to air live style shots, I should've leaned something!

One day Gene Paul was filming an RW jump from the ground and saw me do a backloop at break off. After the jump, we were watching the video out at the van on the DZ (Yep, I mean really parked in the landing area) and Gene Paul asked me if I'd ever thought about doing Style.

Sorry, 1985, RW & CRW were my thing. DAMN!! Style coaching back then was free if you jumped there. My Loss. :(

Hello Woody!

I remember that issue of DZ-USA and probably still have it in the garage.

It's been a long time since I did the trek from Tampa to Barnwell. I think we did the qualifier for the Nationals there one year.

Good to "see" you again.

Pat Moore
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

There's also this one.

HW

What year was that taken? I think I went to Pop's Christmas meet the first time in 70 and he had gray hair then. Sure had a lot of fun times at that meet. Got my SCR that year and won the meet in 73. Beat out all the squares that year with a French Pap. Still sends chills down my spine thinking about those down winders in that FL wind. Sure glad I was bullet proof back then.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

That pic was '65 Masters meet at Stone Mt, Ga. Pop was 2nd and I was 3rd. The tall man with back to
us was Bob Holler from the Pelicans Md. club who won the meet.
The thing I remember about Indiantown winds was the way they would blow at 1000ft. and 180 the other way at 500ft. If you were on the first loads you were screwed...Woody

That pic was '65 Masters meet at Stone Mt, Ga. Pop was 2nd and I was 3rd. The tall man with back to
us was Bob Holler from the Pelicans Md. club who won the meet.
The thing I remember about Indiantown winds was the way they would blow at 1000ft. and 180 the other way at 500ft. If you were on the first loads you were screwed...Woody

Now that you point it out that does look like the back of Bob's head.
The other thing I remember about Pop's meet was if one person in a round jumped in high winds everybody jumped in the winds.
What ever happened to that Lockheed 10E you guys had at Barnwell?
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

Speaking of Bob Holler and Pops, I'm attaching nother shot of him. Bob is on the left with Bill Ottley, me, and Tom Bryant. We had just won the team event at Indiantown and I believe the year was 1969

The following year we encountered strange wind conditions that were common at Indiantown in the winter. It would be cold and calm on the surface and a few hundred feet up a temperaturte inversion would have warm strong winds. Those on the ground would huddle just beyond the sawdust (never pea gravel!) target to catch the warm air from the collapsing canopies. Once the inversion was disrupted, the winds on the surface could be very strong. I made my downwind approach and ripped out my ACL reaching laterally for the disk. Laying there in agony I watched Ottley turn and hold landing out. I asked him why he did that and he replied "I want to be able to ski in Switzerland this winter". Three knee surgeries later, I finally got to ski in Switzerland too.
DZGone.com

So, those who jumped at Indiantown will remember John Coppe as your pilot. Here he is in April, 2008, with Lenny Potts at the Lowell Bachman memorial party.
When I told him I had his signature in my logbook from 1968, he seemed skeptical. But when I reminded him of his admonition -- don' t throw beer bottles out of the plane on the way up -- beer cans are o.k. -- he believed me.

HW

Oops. Photo never uploaded. File size was too big. It's now been modified. Wish we could just insert photos with IMG tags. Anyhow, that's Holler, Ottley, me, and Bryant.

I remember John Coppe very well. The stories about him are true.

I guess I'm really out of the loop. I hadn't heard that Lowell Bachman died. I had a nice chat with him and John Higgins at Ottley's Memorial Service. While attending weather observer school at Chanute AFB in 1966 I took a train to Chicago and visited ParaGear. I was like a kid in a candy store.
DZGone.com

I hadn't heard that Lowell Bachman died. I had a nice chat with him and John Higgins at Ottley's Memorial Service.

Lowell died in late February, just after returning from the PIA Symposium in Barcelona with Dori and Curt. His "celebration of life" event in Chicago was wonderful -- more than 450 people, including many well-known skydivers -- paid tribute to him.
The new Para-Gear catalog has a great tribute to its founder.
Johnny Higgins was in Barcelona and at the Bachman event.

HW