Jim_Hooper

Hooper vs bad taste

Jim,

The sport has changed and so have the people involved. There is nothing we can do to change that. The moderators were not there when the sport started and they haven’t got a clue. Give them a little slack because they know not what they say.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Hi Hoop,

I agree with most here, don't go. If you leave here, nothing will change anyway in terms of moderating the site.

What will happen is that all of us will be deprived of your knowledge, wisdom, and memories of skydiving. Your posts here (and recent articles in the magazine) have been very well received. This is really the only place most of us have to share stories and opinions on "what was" and "what is" in the skydiving world. While you might satisfy some personal point for yourself, the way this site is run will not be affected (IMO).

Anyway, if you're counting votes, mine is for you to stay with us.

Your friend always,

Roger

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I think this discussion is fine in this forum since Jim's concern involves the DB Cooper line that has been placed here.

I guess if you don't like this line, you can just choose not to read it. :)

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Hey Hoop!
Give em hell dude...lol...for christ's sake don't get pissy and leave the forum....you have too much to offer to be absent....look how this forum has gotten us together, and many others from the old days at the hills....please don't go stomping off somewhere that we can't find you anymore....your posts are a bright spot in the fog....
Tuna....

Hello Tuna, Roger, and Hoop!

Can't believe it's been 32 years since I last saw you folks. For those of you in this forum who don't know me, I was the polar opposite of Hoop - I was primarily a style and accuracy devotee while Hoop was certainly the instigator that put Zephyrhills RW on the map. Ironically we wound up working together at Channel 8 (NBC-TV) in Tampa in the early seventies - Hoop had a gift for writing documentaries and I was the morning (and later evening) weatherman. We worked with yet another skydiving newsman who had a penchant for exaggeration. Jim taught countless first time jumpers and I handled some of the jumpmastering duties. We made a pretty good team.

I'll be in London next month and I'm really looking forward to hoisting a brew or two with one of the class acts in this sport and a guy I feel privileged to have met so many years ago.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Hey Pat,
I remember many gatherings at your place and that damn ceramic frog you used to pass off as real....
That would be Arch Deal, right....and you have to remember Carl Wade, his cameraman, carl and his wife are still in the st pete area, I bump into them frequently, he is often at some of the musical get togethers and festivals I attend...he plays a mean guitar....
I sure remember the hills...that was quite a time in my life and it's amazing how many of us have gotten together via this website....many thanks to the owners for that...
I'm not flying much anymore, I have a bud with a citabria who takes me up now and then and there is an outfit that offers rides in an AT-6 Texan that will take you up and turn you loose on the controls...
I remember you were the only guy I knew who could walk across the bottom of a swimming pool because your muscle density was such that you couldn't float....lol...
Also remember many times you would earn beers by doing a standing backflip at Pat's place there in the hills...
Good to get in touch, Pat...you take care....
Tuna

Hello Tuna! Great to "see" you. You were a terrific jump pilot. The only "flying" I do these days is in Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

As I recall you got into glass blowing at one point and had a real talent for it.

I finally gave up the standing back flips 12 years ago. Click on the attachment and you'll see an animated GIF of my last-ever standing back flip taken on my 50th birthday.

My summers are now spent playing golf and biking and unicycling. Winters are more active and I managed to make a little Alpine History at Steamboat this past March. The article is from Ski Racing Magazine.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Hi Pat, so good to see you posting in here! Yes, you were certainly the style and accuracy type. I can still hear manifest calling Ski, Ski, Moore and Moore over the loud speaker :)
And Tuna, I have a question for you too! I know you flew at Rainbow WI for a while. I can't remember who was flying when Si (sp?) Fraser took me up there to train students for a bit. Would have been 75 I think. Any chance you were there then?

I don't see how Hoop can leave with class acts like us hanging around this place :)

As for me, I'm 55 (somehow) and into competitive water skiing. I'm skiing in the Nationals next week here in West Palm Beach. Married 18 years (she's never seen me jump, though has given me the go ahead to make a few if I want). Into photography, computers, and home theater. Make my living programming ecommerce websites.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Well, lets see Roger...
Not likely I was back in wisconsin in 75..following the "bust" at the hills I had to move away to avoid the 24/7 surveillance I was under at the time, I had moved to Jacksonville and opened a gift shop business in a local mall there, then another one in another mall....around 77-78 I moved down to saint augustine and opened a tourist gift shop there, eventually married and had a daughter (79)....I'm still in saint augustine, retired, still riding triumph bonnevilles, fishing, gardening and chilling out....currently with a wonderful partner and doing pretty well with some physical restrictions....arthritis.....not fun....
I know things at the hills were a bit chaotic and different people ran rainbow and I think Hoop eventually ran the hills....
Funny you should remember Si Fraser...I had introduced Helene Tozier to him, she was a wonderful friend, and they ended up getting married, every time I saw them after that, they would both thank me for putting them together...I ran into them in Toronto some time later and they were having a great time. I had heard Si was killed but don't know what ever became of Helene...her parents were part of the Horlic Malted Milk empire in Racine Wisconsin, her dad was a hoot.....Helene was with Jerry Tyson, a photographer for a time, they split and he kept their child (girl i think). I think she never forgot me because I saved her and Jerry from certain death, they had come down to florida and had pulled up in my yard in the middle of the night...driving a vw bus, I came out, saw the bus and tried to wake them up....they wouldn't answer so I got the door open and found both of them almost dead...they had lit a catalytic heater and closed all the windows in the bus.....I realized they were in trouble and hauled them both out side on the ground....they revived slowly but almost died. That was a close one....I think I met them in chicago when ben laycsak, hank ascuitto and I started Bong air force base drop zone, the Para Ponderosa.....
Tuna

I was thinking about that last post last night and realized I had two Helen's mixed up.
Helene tozier was a stewardess from the chicago area who was a pelvic affiliate of Jim Stoyas who was jumping at rainbow and the para ponderosa...
Helen Tyson (nee Horlic) was married to Jerry Tyson, so, in fact, she would properly be Helen and not Helene.
Sometimes the mind confuses the past.....
tuna

I was thinking about that last post last night and realized I had two Helen's mixed up.
Helene tozier was a stewardess from the chicago area who was a pelvic affiliate of Jim Stoyas who was jumping at rainbow and the para ponderosa...
Helen Tyson (nee Horlic) was married to Jerry Tyson, so, in fact, she would properly be Helen and not Helene.
Sometimes the mind confuses the past.....
tuna

I think you have it right now. Helen Tyson, then Fraser, and finally (I'm pretty sure) Fournier, Fog is what we called him. He has since passed away from a heart attack I believe. Don't know what Helen is up to, but certainly one of my favorite ladies of skydiving!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Helen was never married to Fog, they were friends.

She married Dave Sickler, they moved to Texas. When they returned to Florida in 1979 she left Dave for a younger man and moved.

She has'nt been heard from since.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Don (Fog) Fournier died in Duluth Minnesota from his second heart attack. He had been released early from Camp Fed after his first heart attack. They didn't want him to die in their custody. He was married with two children. Fog also had one child with a former girlfriend.

Fog was a guest at Camp Fed for income tax. "They" could not convict him on any contraband issues, the jury didn't buy the evidence or testimony from their "rats".

Just trying to keep it real.

thanks for the fill in on Helen....she certainly did relish her male friends...lol.....
Sorry to hear about foggy....Don was quite the adventurer.....he and i were pretty close and i used to visit him now and then....he had a line up of all his crashed vehicles and airplanes in his yard, used to call it his "line of fame" I remember one crash he survived...he and a young lady were flying back from somewhere, at night and rather low to the ground, and she picked a nasty argument with him...subsequently he decided to sever the relationship on the spot, while flying low, and she began to get hysterical and threw herself on the stick, forcing the airplane down into a crash....he commented it was one breakup he never wanted to go through again....he was pretty stove up and I used to go and take care of him on my off days...fix him food, give him massages and hot towel treatments to loosen him up....I'll sure miss fog....one cool dude....but real as he could be.... I don't know for sure if he was involved in any of the "overseas" flights going on back then.....possible though....
Tuna

That's a great story! I really liked Fog as well, seems like he was pretty easy going with most.

Steve, thanks for the clarification. I know you have some emotions about Fog and the "situation" he was in (or helped into)...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

We must get this thread back on subject and start bashing the DB Cooper nonsense posters. So many experts, so little knowledge or experience.

Whoever Dan Cooper was, he landed in the Columbia River and drowned. That's what an FBI agent who was making static line jumps at Xenia Ohio told me in 1972.

The DB Cooper subject belongs in the Bonfire or Speakers Corner Forum.

Bash away Hoop, before we prove that Cooper was actually a rogue FBI agent involved in the JFK hit. We havent linked him to UFOs or crop circles... yet. Put us out of our misery.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

We must get this thread back on subject and start bashing the DB Cooper nonsense posters. So many experts, so little knowledge or experience.

Whoever Dan Cooper was, he landed in the Columbia River and drowned. That's what an FBI agent who was making static line jumps at Xenia Ohio told me in 1972.

The DB Cooper subject belongs in the Bonfire or Speakers Corner Forum.

Please keep discussions OF DB Cooper in THAT thread or this one and all subsequent ones will simply be locked.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver