Jumpervint

Silvana, WA Crash, August 21, 1983

Does anyone have a list of names of the jumpers who died in this crash?
It was a Lockheed Lodestar that stalled on jump run/exit due to cg problems. 9 jumpers and 2 pilots died.

Thanks,

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

Does anyone have a list of names of the jumpers who died in this crash?

From "Parachutist", Sept. '83:

Jumpers: Bob Bandes, Dean & Marilyn Bushong, Terry Cafferty, Jamilee Kempton, Mark Leverenz, Bob Lockwood, Ken Newman, and Jim Schill.
Pilot: Mike Peterson
Crew member: one, unidentified

hard to believe. There, but for the grace of God.................

Vint, you helping Dan T. put together the memorial celebration? I'll try to make it. If I don't, tell anyone who wants to know that "Looks like my plans fell through.....Oh ! Lord, Stuck in Lodi again." (occassionally).
Ted
D6691 SCR 3975 SCS 2242 NSCR 698
On the road to wrack and ruin…………
but making damn good time.

I was on the plane the day before it went in. I took the day off and my friend who took my slot went in with the plane. I'm shooting from memory here...but here is the list to best of my recollection:
Jamilee Kempton (age 18)
Dean "Bushy" Bushong (took my slot)
Marilyn Bushong
Bob "Lucy" Lockwood
Mark Leverenz (Got out; didn't survive)
Bob Bandes
Jim Schill
Terry Cafferty
Ken (Newman?) I can remember his face but not his last name)
Two Pilots (I don't know their names).
I might be forgetting someone, but I think there were 9 memorials that Summer...
There will be a 25 year memorial this August 21st. Many of the survivors will be there. I see some of them regularly. My heart still breaks when I think of that day; in fact...I'm tearing up now.
Blue Skies my friends! Blue Skies; Black Death!
~Maggott
__________________________________________________________________________________
"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone?"

It was a Learstar, a highly modified Lodestar with major drag reduction mods to increase speed. I have some right seat time in a Learstar that was owned by a friend. I asked him about stall characteristics. He said he tried a practice stall once at over 5000 ft. NEVER AGAIN is all he would say about it and he was a skilled acro pilot.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I'm shooting from memory here...but here is the list to best of my recollection:

Rick, you got the list right and so did Parachutist that John Rich quoted.

Seems like yesterday. I had stopped by in the morning to shoot the $hit with TC about our Gear Drive 8 way team and its potential future for the 84 Nationals. I woulda been on that load too if I didn't have a 4 way team practice that afternoon. That always pissed Leverenz off.

Flying over the scene after we got the word, we couldn't believe we were looking at the point of impact; it was just a little smoldering black spot in a crater by the side of the road.
Ted

I jumped with Grover, he was the last one out of the doomed aircraft. He died a few years later. Agent Orange or something like that.

Grover was down at Ralph's after the crash and we were doing an 8 way out of the Beaver. His main popped open and I closed it with a borrowed pull-up cord. (in the plane on the way to altitude)

He was cool.

What a bummer!
Onward and Upward!

Maggot, do you remember a Monty stevens? I jumped with him just a couple of months ago at Davis. It was a pick up load and I didn't think I'd ever met him before.

But it turns out that he was passing thru Washington on his way to Alaska and got on the Learstar load that fateful day. He was "up front" of the line up and got out easily.
Ted

Had some old pics out for another reason and stumbled on this sketch I made soon after the fateful day. This is my understanding of where people were in the airplane. Probably not real exact as it obviously it doesnt' jive very well with what I thought Monty Stevens told me recently. But at least it has all the names and generally where they were.

The numbers by the names don't make a lot of sense now but those guys got out and lived.
Ted

Eric, here's a pic for you. April 1981 over Issaquah out of 3 Cessnas.

Inside facing out:
12 noon; Ted Idlof
8:00 "Bushy"
4:00 Mark King
Inside facing in:
10:00 Earl bartell (Paraphernalia)
2:00 Root
6:00 Lani Schroeder
Outside:
11;00 Mark Leverenz
1:00 Maggot
9:00 Kari Seppanen
3:00 Debbie (Maggot's squeeze)
5:00 Mike Metcalf (the mouth)
7:00 Lynda Forney (Paraphernalia)

Maggott, you'll love this; My log book says you did a steep dive versus a flat track (remember those debates?) and pulled your reserve at 1000' because "there was no clear air!!" That ring a bell?? :P:o

Ted

Hi Ted,

I am thinking that #11 would be Tom Classen. I was rather good friends with him & knew Bushy quite well as he was an outgoing kind of guy.

The first load that ever went up when Gary Lewis & Jim Lowe took over Issaquah ( ~'73 or so ) was a C-170 that crashed just at it lifted off and I was there watching it scruntch in. Bushy was on it & when he got out you could shut him up. NO one really got hurt, just a lot of bruises, etc; and one non-repairable airplane.

Lewis & Lowe owned that Cessna together and Lewis owned another one that was in Texas at the time. After the crash we were standing around talking and I said 'So which one of you is going to Texas?' Lewis did not think that was funny.

JerryBaumchen

Jerry, yeah, TC was #11. The attached is my revised guess on jumper seating based on the NTSB report of where the survivors and the injured survivors were in the airplane. TC got his knee/leg smashed up pretty good and Boling was in the hospital for at least a few days.
Ted

I don't know if you've gotten an answer to your post, I do have the names of those who went in with that plane. I'm away from home at the moment, if I hear back from you on the subject I'll post the names when I return home. What I've misplaced, is the newspaper photo of the lodestall just prior to impact, not sure what paper, I believe it was the Chehalis Washington's local paper. if any one has it please share