RogerRamjet

SCR Database Updated

SCR datbase updated to include SCR # 1 to 10050, still a gap from there to the 14000s.

SCS updates coming...

Current text at top of database page has the numbers:

=====================
The SCR's are entered from 1 to 10050 - gap - and 14300 to current at 14780. The SCS's are entered from 1 to 2001 - gap - and 7900 to current at 8243. The databases of all other Star Crest awards are current and complete. We're working to close the gaps on the SCR & SCS awards. Thanks for your patience.
=====================

Enjoy!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Latest updates to the Star Crest Awards databases. Bill is working hard to fill the remaining gaps:

The SCR's are entered from 1 to 12000 - gap - and 14300 to current at 14805. The SCS's are entered from 1 to 2001 - gap - and 7900 to current at 8254. The databases of all other Star Crest awards are current and complete. We're working to close the gaps on the SCR & SCS awards. Thanks for your patience.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Roger, you're a hero! Thanks for your hard work. I recently had a couple of exchanges with Newell about the SCRs. He was on the DZ when I received mine and I got a patch like right after landing. I needed to update some material in my forthcoming memoir, "Between Heaven and Earth: An Adventure in Free Fall," due out in December.

I'm an old fart -- SCR 442, SCS 202.

Doug
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Roger, you're a hero! Thanks for your hard work. I recently had a couple of exchanges with Newell about the SCRs. He was on the DZ when I received mine and I got a patch like right after landing. I needed to update some material in my forthcoming memoir, "Between Heaven and Earth: An Adventure in Free Fall," due out in December.

I'm an old fart -- SCR 442, SCS 202.

Doug

Thanks Doug, but Bill is the real hero. I just take the spreadsheets he sends me and drop them into a format that can be bulk loaded to the datbase for the site. He, on the other hand, has to transcribe all the data from spiral bound notebooks into excel before he sends it to me. I'd much rather have my job :D

The database stuff is easy for me and a small token of my appreciation for all Bill's hard work and also it's a way to give a little back to the sport I enjoyed so much.

Based on your low numbers, you obviously didn't start 14 years ago. I did that at first also on here, but kept fielding questions like "How could you only have started jumping 7 years ago and be in the first 16 man diamond, or how can you have such a low SCR and only have started 7 years ago. So, once a skydiver, always a skydiver, I just count my years from my first jump. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I haven't made my last one...

Bill has really picked up the pace lately, so I'm hoping we have a complete database pretty soon.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

OK, so now how do I get my entry fixed, now that it's finally there :)

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm SCR 561 and SCS-1. Yes, the database is being updated. Bill Newell says

Here's some catching up I've been doing for the SCR database lately which seriously needs to be completed. At this point I have about 14,000 more to go, counting SCR' and SCS's. I'm working on the SCR's right now and my goal is 1000 per week. I type with two fingers, but that's as fast as I can think anyway. I have about 12,400 entered and that just takes us to 1987. Take air, Bill Newell SCR# 3

Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

Roger,

Thanks for your work. It means a lot to us old timers. I was able to find my SCR from 1976. I was still jumping 100% surplus gear, 28 ft cheapo, 26 ft Navy conical, etc.

Blues,
Mark
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

OK, so now how do I get my entry fixed, now that it's finally there :)

Wendy W.

Hi Wendy,

Tell me the number and what's wrong with the entry and I will fix it for you and send the update to Bill so it gets into the source data (in case he sends me the whole thing again which has wiped out some updates in the past).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Roger,

Thanks for your work. It means a lot to us old timers. I was able to find my SCR from 1976. I was still jumping 100% surplus gear, 28 ft cheapo, 26 ft Navy conical, etc.

Blues,
Mark

Hi Mark,

You're welcome. It's a small thing I can give back to the sport I enjoyed so much :)
I jumped a 28' cheapo and a 26' conical for my first 350 jumps until I had a Mae West on my cheapo which tore it up enough that I bought a strato star. Kept the 26' Navy Con though. 650 jumps on the Strato Star with no issues at all, never had to use the 26' again.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

When I sent in my application I didn't include money for both SCR and SCS. When the mail came back from Bill the SCS was awarded, plus a refund.

So, I have an SCS but no SCR.

When you guys get caught up, I'm going to re-apply.

It's going to look something like this: SCR 20,000-and-something, SCS 173:P

Thanks for all the dedication and hard work over the decades.

Roger -- obviously I had a long layoff as you surmised. My book covers 1969-1983. I renewed my USPA membership and made a couple in June after 25 years away in order to finish the memoir. It was a gas going through refresher/retraining with Al King (who was a static line student with me during our college days). As Ken Carville, another old timer told me, "It's like riding a bike." He was right. You don't forget how to free fall. And on the photo jump, I did a standup in the peas. I know I could get a disk after five or ten practice jumps on any canopy.
SCR-442, SCS-202, CCR-870, SOS-1353

Douggarr wrote.........." I know I could get a disk after five or ten practice jumps on any canopy."

That's a bold statement or are you referring to your back?
I don't care how many skydives you've got,
until you stepped into complete darkness at
800' wearing 95 lbs of equipment and 42 lbs
of parachute, son you are still a leg!

When I click on the link, (The url is: http://www.scr-awards.com/index.html ) it takes me to a funky website with no SCR/SCS info. I used to have the proper website bookmarked but that now takes me to the same funky. What am I doing wrong?

SCR 2292 / SCS 1156
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com

When I click on the link, (The url is: http://www.scr-awards.com/index.html ) it takes me to a funky website with no SCR/SCS info. I used to have the proper website bookmarked but that now takes me to the same funky. What am I doing wrong?

SCR 2292 / SCS 1156

I get the same thing. I'll check with Bill and have him contact the webmaster, maybe he hasn't paid a fee or something... I'll post back here when he responds.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Still getting the same funky web site instead of the proper one. Tried to send an email to Bill but it bounced

John

Hi John,

Bill is fully aware of the issue. He is working on a solution as fast a possible. If you need to send Bill something private, PM me and I'll give you his email address (not the same as the site email address which is part of the site and therefor down as well).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Hi Roger,

Glad I found this site! I have an SCR in the 5,000's and and SCS in the 2,000's. I have the ID cards for both, which were signed by Bill Newell. I also have the logbooks, the jumps were also signed by Bill. This was at Hartwood, VA back in the 70's. I think Bill Otley flew the plane.

What do I do to get put in the database? Do I scan the cards, logbook, etc., and then send you an e-mail?

Thanks,

Mike

I wrote Bill Newell a few years back. I didn't know if he'd write back or not, but he did. He said he enjoyed talking to old jumpers, and he seemed like a great guy.

Back in the early 70's having an SCR or SCS patch meant something. All the best jumpers had that patch on their favorite jump suit.

My SCR and SCS came on the same weekend in 1973 (I think). I should get my little red log books out and check.

Both jumps were out of a smoke jumper DC-3. I wish I had written down all the names who were on those loads. All were Missoula or Kalispell jumpers.

I'm sure B.J. Worth, Fred Sands, Dave Tousy, Stinky, Gordy Listor, Pug, Billy Blair, and Tom Kaiser were on those loads.

That was when you could take a fifty dollar jump course and jump hot gear like B-12 harnesses, belly reserves, motor-cycle helmets, French jump boots, shot and a half cape wells, 24 foot reserves, 28 foot mains. Jumps to 8,000 ft. might be three bucks.

Jerry Bird was our hero then. He was building world record stars with around 25 jumpers.....

The latest I have is
3817 El Alisal Street, Bakersfield CA 93304
I am about to send off an application
John

That address is correct. A new site is underway but is still in the startup/build phase. You can download a pdf application from here: http://www.starcrestawards.com/images/stories/forms/scrapplication08.pdf

I'll post here when the site goes active.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Ok everyone, another update. After moving the site to a new home and running into problems that seemed to have no solution, the site has been moved back to it's original home. The new URL however, will stay: http://www.starcrestawards.com

I have just loaded the last of the data updates tonight and all data in all tables is now current. If you have an award, you should be able to locate it in the database.

Bill has found a web guru type to re-design the site and that will be getting underway shortly. I believe the bulk loads are over now, but I will support Bill and the awards site in any way he needs going forward.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark

Ok everyone, another update. After moving the site to a new home and running into problems that seemed to have no solution, the site has been moved back to it's original home. The new URL however, will stay: http://www.starcrestawards.com

I have just loaded the last of the data updates tonight and all data in all tables is now current. If you have an award, you should be able to locate it in the database.

Bill has found a web guru type to re-design the site and that will be getting underway shortly. I believe the bulk loads are over now, but I will support Bill and the awards site in any way he needs going forward.

Glad to see the site is back up! Wish I could search by dates so I could see how many SCR's were completed during July in the last 8 years.;)