tonybrogdon

The First Tandem

I have heard a number of people talk about what was the first tandem. If my memory serves me right, the first tandem was done by Jim Hanbury with his son who was very young but wanted he wanted him to know what skydiving was like.

My youngest son, now retired from the Navy ( 20 years ) used to ask me from age eight when could he make his first jump. I promised I would sign for him when he reached 16. On his 16th birthday, I arranged for him to make a tandem at Perris. It was 1985. He jumped without a drouge chute and I went head down to catch up and didn't get close until opening. Shortly after, Ted Strong developed a drouge chute due to canopies blowing up. I discovered that the FAA waiver for tandems was for 18 year old and up. OOps!!
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

I don't know that I ever payed attention to who it was....

But there was a photo of a 4 year old or so in a one piece sleeper with a hood strapped to the front of dad. I believe it was in Parachutist but maybe Skydiving. The story went that the kid liked it, went 3 or 4 times and when asked the next time said something like 'I'll go if you by me a pony'. Kid new dad liked it more than he did.

Don't know if this was the first but I've read every issue of Parachutist ever published and this is the first one I remember.

Of course other than the two aircrew members in WWII that managed to hang onto each other for the first Mr. Bill landed.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I don't know that I ever payed attention to who it was....

But there was a photo of a 4 year old or so in a one piece sleeper with a hood strapped to the front of dad. I believe it was in Parachutist but maybe Skydiving. The story went that the kid liked it, went 3 or 4 times and when asked the next time said something like 'I'll go if you by me a pony'. Kid new dad liked it more than he did.

Don't know if this was the first but I've read every issue of Parachutist ever published and this is the first one I remember.

Check the Early History of Tendem Jumping thread. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2947469;search_string=mike%20barber;#2947469

Hoop
SCR242 SCS90 NSCR26

Skies Call volume 2 or volume 3 had a photo of a child doing a tandem in Florida, circa 1980.

It is rumoured that the US Army used 400 square foot FTS canopies for tandem tests circa 1982 ...

Ted Strong did not start testing modern tandem systems until the summer of 1983.