skydived19006

Kansas Drop Zone History

Jumped at Maize around 69, Woody had a Cessna 180 that had to be hand propped by hand a lot as the battery wasn't that hot. He had a pilot that wouldn't do corrections on jump run, he would smile at you and say "you're on the wind line, kid" and he was always right. Heard later he was a WWII fighter pilot, sure could make that old 180 climb. Saw "Smitty the Jumper" make one of his last solo jumps there, Had his old gear with him that day, lines attached to an old car steering wheel, amazing!!!!

Always remember, when you get where you're going, there you are!

Made my first jump at Hutchinson Sky Sports, September 1977. Met Smitty that same day also.
I became good friends with both Smitty and his son Jerry. I invited both of them on December 15th, 1987 to come to Perris where they both made tandems. Both were very rememberable days.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

The pilot's name is Billy Compton, He is still alive and living in Wichita. And yes he was one of the best jump pilots I have ever met.

Smitty jumped a T-10 and still managed to twist a knee on landing, and then took great delight in pulling his pants down and showing the girls his swollen knee.