NickDG

Early round Mr. Bill . . .

A day or so ago I received a PM from a jumper who asked if I was the same Nick he knew from the Romona, California DZ in 1982. He said that maybe I was one who shot a photo of him doing a Mr.Bill.

I said I was and sent him the photo which he was very happy to get. He also told me his twin daughters just this week did their first few AFF levels which is very cool.

Then I thought maybe not many have seen a round parachute Mr. Bill so here's the photo. I'm not sure anymore which jumper is Mr. Bill and which is Sluggo but the jumper who just launched off the shoulders of the jumper under the PC is the jumper who wrote me.

He had 62 jumps at the time.

NickD :)

How in Hell did you know that from a black & white photo?! That is my dad's (D-2118) blue and whit checker-board PC. I jumped from Bob Boyle's (C-14237) shoulders after riding around for a couple thousand feet... I jumped off at 3000' AGL and opened my 7-cell Strato-star that Frank Mott sold me for $270.00. My room-mate (Bob) flew the PC to the ground uneventfully after my leap. Thank you Nick DG for capturing that moment in my life... I'm so glad to be able to show people that photo.

I said I was and sent him the photo which he was very happy to get. He also told me his twin daughters just this week did their first few AFF levels which is very cool.

How old are his daughters?
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Doesn't this belong in the "everything that is new is old" thread?

It's like when I tell the new crew puppies we used to do crw with rounds and they think I am retarded.

Sad to say but with the new generation skydiving began when they started jumping.

More later,

For Christmas, we should all chip in and get you a white shotgun to lean against your tent at the DZ!;)

I'm hoping my twin sons follow on for third generation jumpers. My Dad was airborne and I'm airborne and a skydiver. I'll have to wait about 12 more years.

Any special tips for dealing with that final heavy but smooth opening shock one gets with a ParaCommander?

Just the usual need for low airspeed and good grips as with any Mr Bill?

(I had a failed attempt last year -- too much speed after tumbling once after exit before deploying.)