dgw

Hey Freak Brother funky tune

The early FB vids were ripe with classics, some they stole like Peter Gunn, and some they came up with before the no-rules Freak Brothers convention became the Mommy May I Boogie.

They even held it in a cool place, Freeport . . .

I have some of that stuff on VHS, and I'll see if I can render it for you . . .

NickD :)

Peckerhead, I watched that Youtube production. Thanks for the tip. I digged that performance like a bear digging under an electric fence to eat a juicy camper who's all hot and sweaty and rolled in pepper, and crispy.

I don't suppose you know if there is an official release of the 'freak brother' version?

The only Freak Brothers version I have ever heard was from the Freak Brothers convention video. I still have the VHC tape somewhere.

I remember I took it out to the DZ just a few years ago and all the young jumpers thought it was boring.

I remember someone saying it was just a bunch of old geezers belly flying with bad music from the seventies.[:/]

I must be old cuz I still think it is one of the best skydiving videos ever made.

The early FB vids were ripe with classics, some they stole like Peter Gunn, and some they came up with before the no-rules Freak Brothers convention became the Mommy May I Boogie.

They even held it in a cool place, Freeport . . .

I have some of that stuff on VHS, and I'll see if I can render it for you . . .
--------------------------------------------------
Hey Nick,

I was at the '83 convention when Norman Kent screened the Freak Brothers movie for the first time. We went crazy! It rocked. My friends told me I had a great time.

The '83 convention was the only time I have every heard the following announcement. "Jumpers! Please put your beer cans in the trash before boarding!"B|

I'd love to see some other footage of different early conventions!;)

I wonder if someone could post the lyrics of that song? I remember my first DC3 ride in Z-Hill in mister Douglas and this song was playing out loud and everybody singing along on the way up... Wow...Those were the days.... :)

I jump, I live, I love. Ourson #1 Ordre des Ours Polaires Volants

There is a really funky tune on the link below entitled 'heyfreakbrother'. Does any of the old school (or anybody else..) know who the artist is?

Have a listen - it's funky!

http://freak-brother.com/downloads.html

Seems to me someone told me once that song was performed by one of the bands at the convention. I don't remember the name of the band, but I believe they were regulars for several years.

"Hey, Freak Brutha...as soon as you arrive. You better get yourself on the manifest brutha, cuz were gonna flyyyy-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Seems to me someone told me once that song was performed by one of the bands at the convention. I don't remember the name of the band, but I believe they were regulars for several years.

"Hey, Freak Brutha...as soon as you arrive. You better get yourself on the manifest brutha, cuz were gonna flyyyy-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!"

Probably the Booze Brothers.

i purchased a vhs tape ....years ago...
called 10 Spot....

i got it from Roger. I think Bob Franzese was involved in it's production...copyright 1986
a bunch of good, and interesting shorts... including a 100 way, outta DC3's, and some other good ground footage... also some early "sit-flying" or as Roger and Carl called it, "freak flying"....B|;)
still have that tape somewhere... this thread has reminded me to dig it out and enjoy it once again...

thanx chuckakers for the link to the site, and the song...

jmy

The band you are talking about is "Rare Earth" from Detroit. Formerly known as the "Sunliners". Pete the drummer went to Cooley High School and graduated in 1961 while I graduated in 1960. It was strange to see them set up in the hangar at Freakport, Il. All of the members jumped and were trained by Rogers crew. The "Booze Brothers" had a little trio attached to them but I cant recall the name. I am sure someone will help out. Just had a flash back. It might be something like the "Hey Boys or brothers.

The band you are talking about is "Rare Earth" from Detroit. Formerly known as the "Sunliners". Pete the drummer went to Cooley High School and graduated in 1961 while I graduated in 1960. It was strange to see them set up in the hangar at Freakport, Il. All of the members jumped and were trained by Rogers crew. The "Booze Brothers" had a little trio attached to them but I cant recall the name. I am sure someone will help out. Just had a flash back. It might be something like the "Hey Boys or brothers.

They played the soundtrack to the destruction of a great many of my brain cells in 1970-71...we had their album playing ALL the time.

Cool that they all jumped, I never knew that although I have known they did Freak Brother for a long time.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

For the supporting brass trio of the Booze Brothers, I think it was the "Hays Brothers" or maybe spelled "Haze Brothers."

Anyone know for sure?

I want to say Haze Brothers, but that whole being sure thing...

84 convention...they were jammin and the guy playing the trumpet would play for a while and then twirl his trumpet like it was a six shooter. Unbelievable shows at the Real Convention
Set up the tent in music city and who slept...woohoo!!! Roger doing tandems out of a ballon...and that song they play first thing every morning, Fuck Everybody! Classic stuff...

Then again, who really remembers...B|B|:$:)

The horn trio was the "Hey Brothers" horns, the guy who twirled the trumpet and did spins was the late Bob Blanchard, he died in the `90's during a tandem jump in Wisconsin.

Bob was a free spirit, great musician and excellent skydiver.
You haven't lived until you've almost died"

Rare Earth played at a bar in Des moines.ia
IN 85.Right after i Attened the freak brother
convention.I got to meet all the band members,
I was only 24 at the time.And the lead singer
was already all gray.And the original song being
Hey big brotherIn there hey day they were with
Motown.A band out of Detroit.