Guru312

First BASE jump from World Trade Center

Joey D showed me that pic back in the later 80's. wall) on 9/11. Didn't get back on site for almost a month, & it sure looked strange not seeing the towers. :(

-----------------------------------------------
Would that have been Joey D. at Lakewood, NJ?

Yep, that's the one! He & 2 or 3 others bought the skydiving operation at Lakewood in 83 or 84 & it folded after the 85 season, Thanksgiving weekend. I happened to be on the last legal load (formation flight with both 182's & the Cherokee 6, 14-way attempt), the weekend before T-giving (though there were a few bandit jumps into the bowl later).

Haven't seen Joey since the early 90's.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

No I just didn't get the "readers digest as a kicker plate" reference.

And yes, I trained on a rig with the spring loaded pilot chute and conventional rip cord.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I believe you are correct about the ESB as opposed to WTC. I knew Mike back in '90 or '91 and I heard a lot of his tales, which are well worth the listen, but I just didn't remember which NYC landmark he'd jumped. I believe he's also done the Eiffel Tower. Mike talked about how after doing the ESB he heard from Phillipe Pettit (?) and that they both had instant celebrity status in New York: Talk shows, free dining & hotel, they couldn't pay for anything. Any idea where Mike is and what he's up to these days?
Also, I didn't know Sergio didn't jump after he snapped that famous shot. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike also did the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy. I have a hysterical video somewhere of it. The hysterical part is Mike running after the jump with some Italian old lady dressed in black chasing him off. She actually bopped him with her cain a few times . . .

Below is Nigel Slee's UK BASE magazine called "JUMP" with Mike on the cover from October of 1989.

NickD :)

Mike also did the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy. I have a hysterical video somewhere of it. The hysterical part is Mike running after the jump with some Italian old lady dressed in black chasing him off. She actually bopped him with her cain a few times . . .
:)

Man if you can find that video, post it! We want to see that! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Mike also did the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Italy.
NickD :)

I had a student and very good friend, Harvey Soss--Herd member extraordinaire!-- who jumped the Eiffel Tower and a number of other places, I seem to remember him saying he did the Leaning Tower but I'm not sure. There can't be too many people to jump either one of those structures.

I know that he jumped Angel Falls because he gave me a picture that you can see here: http://www.aicommand.com/SossAtAngelFalls.htm

Soss died while riding his Harley after being hit by a drunk driver. As far as I know, he never got hurt BASE or skydiving.

I looked at your fatality list, and it got me to thinking:

Is the fatality rate from skydiving and BASE jumping greater than the fatality rate of auto/cycle accidents for those people who BASE/skydive? I bet driving is statistically more "dangerous."
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I van rafuse jumped the trade center 9/13/80. I also jumped the verrazano bridge on three seperate occasions. I cut the lock off the door and climbed to the top inside the tower nearest to staten island. Two out of the three I was able to glide to shore, the third I went for a short swim after opening facing the tower and hitting it before being able to turn away. I sold the story and pictures to the star after the first time. John carter,(not sure of the spelling) asked me all about the details of the top of the bridge. He later jumped from a chopper landed on top then used his reserve to jump off.

I've been in touch with Mike in the last few years. He lives in Western USA and describes himself as an 'urban monk'! I have an email address for him if you want it - PM me.

He also did the very first modern UK BASE jump in October 1981- a 1,013' 'A', at night.

Its a repost, but attached are photos and article of Mike & Alasdairs ESB jump and Mike and Amanda's ET jump.

Mike was also planning a WTC jump in August of 1001 ...

Al ;)