Usetawuz

Regarding ParaCommanders (PC's)

Anyone fitting and playing around with Capewells might be interested to see that there are some bargain Capewell fitting tools in the classifieds -

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=55776;d=1

$50 including shipping. I know of several purchases of this from this seller and they are what he claims.

Terry, you are the lucky winner of a NIB set of R3s. Hope you like blue. I will send them tomorrow.

I also found 2 sets of U-XII releases, I don't remember much about them. I am still looking through boxes, I think I have some R2s and maybe more R3s. I thought all old riggers had boxes of this stuff...

"I thought all old riggers had boxes of this stuff... "

I have about 300 different kinds of rip cords and handles and puds and crap all wrapped up in coils and also some brand new never used cable in coils. I wish someone would come get it all. It is part of Al Frisby's collection of old crap. Enough to fill a normal size cooler. That's what it is all in. Other stuff here to man and I have to dispose of it all. ??? HELP...
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

My memory is getting so bad---I can safely hide my own Easter eggs---but the H/C is a "Secret" made by the Altitude Shop (now defunct) in Vallejo Calif. They also made a pig rig called the "Top Secret" (I had one many years ago with a Stratostar. I think they also made a rig called the "Classifier". Maybe Howard White can enlighten.

Dan Poynter's Parachute Manual may have some info.

Remember when 1 1/2 shot releases were standard? What's the problem? ;)

The Classifier and Top Secret were made by the Altitude Shop. I have two Top Secret containers. One is pretty new. I bought it from someone who bought it new and never jumped it. Nothing like getting new old stock.

I have manuals in .pdf for both the Top Secret and Classifier.

There has already been a thread here which included references to, and pictures of, Top Secret containers.
IIRC, Jerry Myers at The Altitude Shop installed a slider on my Strato-Star (replacing ropes and rings) when I was on a California trip in 1976. I probably first jumped it at Pope Valley, and then shortly later at Elsinore.
And I think Jerry MacDonald later took off the cotton padding and grommets associated with the ropes and rings.
I just saw an Altitude Shop ad the other day with a picture of all of these rigs. As it's probably still near the top of the pile, I'll scan and post it later (too nice today; an Otter is calling.)

HW

You know, I've got two cutaways on R-3's. I trained on 1.5 capewells in a hanging harness but at as I said, I'd just as soon not have to use them. Especially if this thing streamers.:o

I still can't find a label on the container? Stealth.;) Or blind rigger.

Hmmm, does reading braile count as reading english?

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The UX-II looks like what I have on my crossbow rig. The capewell slider sewn to the webbing. The whole thing, if not tacked in place, pulls out in your hand when you cutaway. Our local older rigger would sew a red wooden 1-1/4" to the webbing to give a better grip and something easier to see. We called them red ball express locally.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

One on the left is the Secret, one of which I am now the proud owner of.

One of the other is the Rumor, but I don't remember which one. Not at home with my references.;)

What ever the chest mount is I need one to go with the Secret.:|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

"That gear looks like it's in GREAT shape!"

It is. My dad stopped jumping this gear in the late 70's/early 80's. Before he stopped for good, he used to jump every weekend at West Point in Virginia. He was the instructor at the school there and safety officer (S & TA) for the club. It got aired out one last time at the 40th anniversary home coming back in July of '02. He broke his foot on a downwind shot at the peas. Not too shabby for a 70 year old skydiver!
I'm gonna get this gear all checked out with my rigger and hopefully, on a nice calm day, jump it at Zhills. Can't wait!
I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Hi Cazmo,

That is a 'standard' Pioneer 3-pin main container/harness. It has the Navy housing clamp at the top of the container. That rig has been around since the early '60's but the original design had a large '0' ring at the top for the static line pin/cable to go through. The original design was because of what PI wanted in the way of a rig for their student drops at their dz's.

It looks to have the removeable D-rings at the top added to it; probably for the Super Pro reserve container that you have.

It does seem to be in very good shape.

Originally, Pioneer made them in Sage Green or white; with white so the owner could die it any color that he wanted.

The Navy blue colors came along sometime around the mid-'70's.

Just some trivia for you,

JerryBaumchen

PS) What is in the reserve container?

I just looked at your profile.. with that wingloading on a 170 of 1.21 to 1.. I would suggest youget REAL good at PLF's before you jump that gear... do them off at least a 6 ft high platform too...and hope for a little wind so you can steer a little off the windline (about 30 degrees )to help you do a good PLF.

Not only get good at PLF's but get some real instruction in emergency procedures, canopy control and spotting.

PLF's from 6' ... Backwards! Left and right. Work up to it and get good.

Emergency procedures including hanging harness on shot and a half capwells. If you get one loose and are hanging sideways from the other it get a lot harder. Reserve, does it have a pilot chute? I expect this one to have a PC but be aware some chest mounts didn't.

Canopy control... you start your landing approach on opening. Running, crabbing and holding become very important. Get someone to teach you the sight trick to figure out if your going to get back.

Spotting... the proper side of the airport is no longer good enough. A wind drift indicator is a good idea.

Not trying to discourage you but want you to have a good experience. Looking forward to jumping my "new" PC.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE