howardwhite

What is this plane? #30

The A/C looks like a "Breezy".

The container looks like a Strato Star.

The jumper looks like all of us 30 years ago . . .

NickD
:)

I was going to say Airtwardo, but I think he looked older then. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Obviously much too easy. >:(
Tony Fugit in a Breezy over Titusville, FL. Photo from March '77 Parachutist -- caption was "I'd wear a parachute, too."
The container appears to be the stock one that shipped initially with all Strato-Stars; it was considered to be part of the deployment system (ropes and rings).

HW

Obviously much too easy. >:(
Tony Fugit in a Breezy over Titusville, FL. Photo from March '77 Parachutist -- caption was "I'd wear a parachute, too."
The container appears to be the stock one that shipped initially with all Strato-Stars; it was considered to be part of the deployment system (ropes and rings).

HW

And just to be complete, the jumpsuit is a Dyna-Soar and the head gear is a military HALO helmet.

I think.

:P

Tony Fugit, manufacture of the "Frap Hat".

Sparky

Hmmm - Jack is correct in saying Fugit is wearing a military-issue HALO helmet. It was leather with, I think, spring-steel stiffeners, snaps for attaching an oxygen mask, came in black or white, and was known as a 'bunny' helmet. Pretty much had to know someone on the HALO Committee at Bragg to get one.
Hoop

caption was "I'd wear a parachute, too."

Absolutely! I've never seen a pilot look so exposed in any type of aircraft. That would give me the willies for sure.

I found a website dedicated to Breezys, and the owner was saying he hadn't got around to building his own because 'I didn't trust my welding'. I'd say that's a pretty good call. :)

Tony Fugit, manufacture of the "Frap Hat".

Sparky

I beleive that he did manufacture them for awhile when they first became popular.
His 4-way team won the first RW Nationals in Plattsburg. Anybody remember their team Name? It's on the tip of my tongue put can't quite pull it up.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!

I'm pretty sure what he is wearing in this photo is a military surplus helmet of the kind that was used for HALO and was originally a pilot's helmet. It had provisions for attaching an O2 mask, head phones, etc.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

...btw, Tony showed up at the MOAB boogie this last year.

BCA

If you've ever wondered what skydiving on Mars is like, go to the Moab Boogie. It's mighty damn close!
Lotta outs too. ;)

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Hi Sparky,

Re: Tony Fugit, manufacture of the "Frap Hat".

Actually, I believe the manufacturer was his girl-friend at the time ( maybe still is for all I know ) Linda Forney.

Some history of the US-made 'French' hat. Gary Lewis was working at Para-Gear, he & Jim Lowe had the lease on the dz at Issaquah. Lowe was a rigger and was playing around with some sewing and Lewis sent him a well-used French hat and asked him to take a look at whether he could make them or not. I was up at Issaquah sometime after that and Lowe and I were talking about them as he was having a hard time in locating all of the various colors of leather ( because they were wanting to make them in colors, the fad of the day ). I told him to just make the 'arrows' out of Cordura as that would be sufficient 'color' to make customers happy; the rest is history.

Later, Lowe & Lewis sold the hat business to Linda and she made it into what it was & is.

Just for those who might want to know. :o

JerryBaumchen

Back in the late 1970's Tony Fugit would bring his teenage daughter, Tempest, (Tempus Fugit.... latin for time flies) to the DZ. She was absolutely drop dead beautiful, but Tony was not a small guy and he made it clear that she was off limits to all of us 20 year old low life drop zone rats.