1 1

I 5 Strangler, skydiver?

Anyone know this guy?

Prisoner Accused Of Killing Six Women As 'I-5 Strangler' Save Email Print
Posted: 4:21 PM Mar 8, 2008
Last Updated: 4:21 PM Mar 8, 2008
0 comments

A | A | A

STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) - A state prisoner suspected of being the "I-5 Strangler" could face the death penalty if he's convicted of six murders committed more than two decades ago along Interstate 5 in California's Central Valley.

Roger Reese Kibbe, 68, was arraigned in San Joaquin County Friday on charges he murdered five women in 1986 and a sixth woman in 1977.

He is currently serving a life term at Pleasant Valley State Prison in Coalinga for strangling a 17-year-old West Sacramento prostitute and leaving her naked body in the mountains south of Lake Tahoe in 1987.

Investigators have long said they suspected Kibbe in the other slayings.

El Dorado County prosecutors presented some of that evidence at his 1991 trial for Darcie Frackenpohl's murder. The runaway from Seattle was killed after she disappeared from a West Sacramento street frequented by prostitutes.

At the time, the state Department of Justice said fibers from nylon rope used by skydivers was among the microscopic evidence linking Kibbe to three of the other slayings. Witnesses alleged Kibbe, who was a skydiver, had a murder kit including handcuffs and scissors.

But prosecutors previously said the multiple jurisdictions where the crimes occurred and complications in state law made it difficult to press other charges. California law has since been changed to let one county prosecute crimes from several jurisdictions.

Only one of the victims' bodies was dumped in San Joaquin County, but investigators from Sacramento, Napa, Contra Costa and Amador counties all testified before the San Joaquin grand jury that indicted Kibbe Feb. 25.

He faces six counts of murder with special circumstances including rape, kidnapping and multiple murders that make him eligible for the death penalty.

Kibbe, a furniture maker whose brother was a police detective, has been portrayed on television crime shows and was the subject of a 1999 book by Bruce Henderson entitled "Trace Evidence: The Search for the I-5 Strangler."

Prosecutors released few details on the victims and would not comment.

According to the indictment and media accounts, Kibbe is charged with the murder of Lou Ellen Burleigh of Walnut Creek in 1977 and five other slayings in 1986:

- Stephanie Brown, 19, of Sacramento, was sexually assaulted,
strangled, and her body dumped in a ditch. A crumpled map was found
near her car parked along I-5.

- Charmaine Sabrah, 26, a mother of three from Sacramento, disappeared after her car broke down along I-5 and she drove off with a strange man who offered to help. Her strangled body was found three months later.

- Heedrick, 21, of Modesto, was last seen getting into a car. Her body was found along I-5 five months later.

- The other two victims are Katherine Kelly Quinones, 25 and Barbara Ann Scott, 29.

Kibbe, who has receding short white hair, is being held without bail for a court appearance Monday. He spoke briefly and barely audibly during Friday's arraignment, saying only that he wants an attorney appointed to represent him.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

AP-NY-03-08-08 1750EST
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

It says

nylon rope used by skydivers was among the microscopic evidence linking Kibbe to three of the other slayings. Witnesses alleged Kibbe, who was a skydiver, had a murder kit including handcuffs and scissors.

I think you just found a potential hole in the investigator's thinking. Either the writer for the AP stated this poorly, or the authorities assumed it was parachute line when it was simple rope. I don't doubt the second sentence though, most of these type of serial killers have "murder kits" which would include similar objects as those described.

My wife is a Deputy DA. She convicts guys all of the time that say they are jumpers. It turns out they usually have made a tandem at some point in their pitiful life. She always scolds them for giving jumping a bad name on their way to the grey bar.
She says we do a good enough job giving it a bad name and don't need help from any criminals! ;)

At the time, the state Department of Justice said fibers from nylon rope used by skydivers was among the microscopic evidence linking Kibbe to three of the other slayings. Witnesses alleged Kibbe, who was a skydiver, had a murder kit including handcuffs and scissors

So think of all the types of nylon that have been used as suspension line for the last 50 years or so.

I am sure any one of them could leave fibers behind

Did a search for Kibbe in forums. One post says the TV news had a photo of him solo jumping and another said they thought the "rope" used to strangle his victims was Spectra which might explain how fiber analysis nailed him since Spectra cord is not a commonly found item. If he were a jumper you would think some folks here would have heard of him. What a true psycho killer. Sure glad he is in custody.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

My wife is a Deputy DA. She convicts guys all of the time that say they are jumpers. It turns out they usually have made a tandem at some point in their pitiful life. She always scolds them for giving jumping a bad name on their way to the grey bar.
She says we do a good enough job giving it a bad name and don't need help from any criminals! ;)

Finally! We have proof that tandems cause crime. Bet they were all Skyride customers. Shut it down in the interest of public safety.

If I were a criminal defendant the last thing I would mention is that I skydive. Skydiver is just a little bit behind gang member in the eyes of some people. Many older folks who dont really know the sport see skydivers as a kind of airborne Hells Angels.

I'd be telling the probation officer that my hobby was helping crippled old ladies tend their rose gardens.

I suppose they could strap you to a polygraph and play various Dytter and other audible altimeter warning beeps in a series with cell phone ring tones interspersed. Bet you could find the real skydiver every time.

since Spectra cord is not a commonly found item

Its more common then you might think. Its used in quite a few different areas beyond skydiving. Instead of a non-reference list of applications, here's a link to a google search: http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=spectra+rope&btnG=Search
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

since Spectra cord is not a commonly found item

Its more common then you might think. Its used in quite a few different areas beyond skydiving. Instead of a non-reference list of applications, here's a link to a google search: http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&safe=off&q=spectra+rope&btnG=Search

I stand corrected. Never thought Spectra was so common.

IIRC, It was Type II (Sheathing) used for pull up cords and closing loops.
Lodi was the DZ that investigators went to.
Take care,
space

The guy was a regular at Antioch. Packer there too for student rigs.

There is a book called Trace Evidence about this.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Roger used to pack for me, and the investigators traced the TYPE 3 suspensionline to a roll I had in my cabinet, and yes he was a skydiver.
[:/]

Wow! Was this at Antioch, Lodi or ? Did you ever think he was a dangerous/deranged person? Thanks for your help in putting him behind bars. Who made the connection between some crime scene fibers and skydiving?

Mountainsky1 is right. We all thought Roger was a nice guy. I jumped with him, did CRW, stayed at his house and had dinner with him many times. We were all blown away to find out he was "wired" that way.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.