howardwhite

What is this canopy release? #2

Yep, those are R2's. R3's were much sleeker, with the plastic tubing at the bottom and everything.

R2's were most famous to me for always having the velcro and elastic holding them in get old, so that the white tubular nylon would just be flapping loose in the breeze.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yep, those are R2's. R3's were much sleeker, with the plastic tubing at the bottom and everything.

I had the "much sleeker" R3's on my first rig, I upgraded it after I bought from capewells - for that extra safety factor! So it was obvious to me that the pictures are of R2's

It fun to see this old stuff :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

a bastardization of a set of shot and a halves...:P;):)

of course at the time, we thought they were "an improvement"...;) which i guess they were......

i used R3's for many jumps... though these look like the earlier version...
...had one of them release on me once,,,, just as I touched down and did a "chin-Up" move on my risers. ( French Papillon Main )...:o[:/]

never had to do a cutaway with them... at least they DID eliminate the "snag potential" of the 2 shots or shot and a halves, especially when using a chest mounted reserve...

jmy

Hi howard,

Looks like the answer has been determined.

Now a question: Did he not also develop one called an 'R-4' (???) that used a single handle & cabling like the 3-ring system? :o

I seem to have some memory of something like that.

JerryBaumchen

R2^2?

Mark

Rodriguez Parachute Systems made the R2's and R2^2. The R2^2 is operated by one hand similar to how a 3-ring system is routed.

The only rig that I know of that has/had the R2^2 release system on it was a system they built called The Solution. I don't know if it really was the solution to anything but it is a very interesting rig for the day. If anyone has one tucked away that they wouldn't mind parting with send me a PM. I have been looking for one for a little while now.

Identification cleverly removed.:P

HW

Oh these thing were just friggin' peachy in the UK. In the summer, if they got crap in them or started to wear out, they would release on a random basis, and in the winter when they got moisture on them from packing on the grass and you went to altitude with them, they would freeze up solid and you couldn't shift 'em.

Made me the man I am today it did ;)