BillyVance

Mr. Douglas DC-3 getting back in the air???

I came to DeLand in 1977, and was jumping Mr. D pretty regularly. One of the first stories I heard, as it had happened a bit before my arrival, was about Mike Cerasoli and the landing gear incident.

Before each load, jumpers would congregate under the left (door side) wing, waiting to load. The way I heard it, Silly Cerasoli was up in the cockpit, showing some folks around, when someone accidently hit the landing gear lever. This normally wouldn't have done anything, but apparently the lock on the right main gear was not working just right, and the right main folded up, dropping the wing to the ramp. This totally freaked out all the folks who were under the other wing, who scattered in all directions, expecting to be squashed like bugs any moment.:o

This whole story was told after I asked about a newspaper front page hanging on Silly's wall - it was one of those that you can have printed at amusement parks. It read: "Silly Cerasoli Wrecks Mr. Douglas".

Luckily, DC-3 landing gear remain out a bit when retracted, so the engine didn't bottom out, but there was damage to the prop. And they had to lift the wing up with a crane to extend the gear. That one was sure talked about for a while. Then again, I wasn't there. So, if anyone has any corrections to details, please feel free to elaborate.;)

Kevin K.

Well you can always go watch Dropzone..... I think thats MrDouglas in there( I was forced to watch it a month ago

I have it on VHS, but I don't have a VHS player anymore. :D

I guess I can say I've jumped both the DC-3 and the pink flamingo porter used in that movie, and I have two bomb bay door jumps on that porter too. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

THE MR. DOUGLAS SOCIETY INCORPORATED has been formed as a 501(c)(3) tax-deductible non profit organization, recently, and has acquired Americas most famous skydiving DC-3 a.k.a. Mr. Douglas N-129H and volunteers have begun restoration efforts on the very large fabric control surfaces already.

Old School Skydivers and long time aviators from coast to coast are being asked to support this historical aircraft's effort to SAVE-A-DC-3 from rusting on the tarmac ramp in Tennessee.

Visit http://www.mrdouglas.org/

Or https://www.facebook.com/groups/640902279285591/?ref=group_header

It is time to get off your wallets and support what all you have been wishing for, dreaming about, writing about. DONATE TODAY..

THIS AIRPLANE MATTERS

This airplane matters Mr Douglas.JPG

Mr. Douglas 2500px_1992406.jpg

Jerry Irwins photo of Mr. Douglas.jpg

When I worked for Silly in 1980-1982, I heard it from him. Pretty much the way Kevin said. Also, the sound system was pretty good, but all we ever seemed to hear was Marshall Tucker Band. Slots, or Snoots usually had control of music.
Irony: "the History and Trivia section hijacked by the D.B. Cooper thread"

I attempted to jump a dc-3 at the Richmond boogie sometime in the 90’s.  If I recall correctly we only made it to 1500 feet or so before losing an engine (or having engine trouble anyways) and had to make an emergency landing.  I recall it sat at the “airport” for quite some time.   Unfortunately I never got to jump one.