BillyVance

Mr. Douglas DC-3 getting back in the air???

Is this for real? A friend emailed me the website link. It would be great to see him back in the air again! :)
http://www.sky-parts.com/index_files/Page310.htm

He's been sitting on the tarmac at the Tullahoma, TN airport for several years with a blown engine.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

He's been sitting on the tarmac at the Tullahoma, TN airport for several years with a blown engine.

I wouldn't expect a non pilot to know this Billy, and it is often a media error calling it that, but "tarmac" is a paving material, not a location on an airport.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I wouldn't expect a non pilot to know this Billy, and it is often a media error calling it that, but "tarmac" is a paving material, not a location on an airport.

BASE359

TARMAC - (1) A bituminous material used in paving; a trade name for Tar MacAdam. (2) An airport surface paved with this substance, especially a runway or an APRON at a hangar.

from http://www.quickplaneloan.com/?case=airplane_glossary

So would it have been more appropriate worded like this?

He's been sitting on the airport surface paved with bituminous material at the Tullahoma, TN airport for several years with a blown engine.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

BASE359

Okay, fine, he's parked on the fucking airport. Geez whiz... :P

pic from google earth
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=94520;
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BASE359

Okay, fine, he's parked on the fucking airport. Geez whiz... :P

pic from google earth
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=94520;

Yup, just as I expected. It's parked on concrete. B|B|

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,

BASE359

TARMAC - (1) A bituminous material used in paving; a trade name for Tar MacAdam. (2) An airport surface paved with this substance, especially a runway or an APRON at a hangar.

from http://www.quickplaneloan.com/?case=airplane_glossary

So would it have been more appropriate worded like this?

He's been sitting on the airport surface paved with bituminous material at the Tullahoma, TN airport for several years with a blown engine.

In almost 6000 hours of PIC over nearly every US state, landing on 500 foot dirt strips, large places like SFO, as well as everything in between, and I've never once had a trained controller refer to any point on an airport as the 'tarmac'.
I have however, been directed to a certain points on the 'ramp' or to 'parking' many times.

I understand that the term has leached it's way into modern terminology mainly through it's incorrect use during a highjacking in the early 1970's.

Not unlike listed passenger Dan Cooper being identified as D.B. Cooper by a media error, has now turrned it into one of the 'facts'.

However, just as the term "diva" has become watered down to include common street folk, the use of 'tarmac' to include anything but a paving product is technically incorrect.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,

This really bothers you doesn't it? ;)

I think it's more irritating to see people use "your" when they should have used "you're".

...thread hijack in progress

Or Arch when they mean Arc.:P
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Yeah, but it's going to be so gussied up and corporate owned that no one will ever get out of it again.:(

Mr Douglas was the Douglas Aircraft Corporations company transport when it was first in service. That it should return to corporate type service is just fine with me. This particular a/c had it's 50th birthday in 1985 so retiring to greener pastures or bluer skies is not inappropriate.

BTW: I have about 1000 jumps out of Mr D and as many fond memories.

jon

This particular a/c had it's 50th birthday in 1985 so retiring to greener pastures or bluer skies is not inappropriate.

-------------------------------------------------------
That triggers a memory. I had the honor of jumping into the 1985 celebration of the DC-3's 50th anniversiary at Santa Monica airport in California as part of the 82nd Airbrone demo team. :)

Not unlike listed passenger Dan Cooper being identified as D.B. Cooper by a media error, has now turrned it into one of the 'facts'.

Like "Smokey The Bear". There is no "The".
It's just Smokey Bear.

From now on, nobody had better get his name wrong.
You have all been informed. :)

I was at WFFC a few years ago.

The DC-3s sat on the ground because it was too convenient to just walk up and get on an Otter or Casa.
Nobody wanted to plan their day up to an hour ahead.
An event needs to be built around a DC-3 for it to get used for skydiving.

Too bad, there are good skills to learn.

Diving straight out of the door.

A lot of people put 3 in the door on an Otter and then they all try to cut the corner. What then happens, the pilot-side diver pushes the tail-side diver into the door frame. I've seen a lot of shoulder injuries from that.

Swooping.

Do a single file run out and come out late.
B|

That's real 10-way speed. Exit, find the group, swoop, dock.

:)

Front floated Mr. DOuglas quite a few years ago in Z-Hills. What an awsome site. SO many good and fun things about this plane...

The tinted windows, jump seats, sound system, and Rickerby's mural. It would do my heart good to see it fulfilling it's purpose once again.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I finally got a chance to jump out of a DC-3 at Eloy's holiday boogie this year. I have to say it is my favorite jump ship to date.

If I ever hit on that powerball one of them would be a part of my dream dz fleet for sure. :)

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Swooping.

Oh yes...some things just never get old. Ever gotten a facefull of feet? A good friend told me you know you're in tight if you get kicked in the face on exit.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Swooping.

Oh yes...some things just never get old. Ever gotten a facefull of feet? A good friend told me you know you're in tight if you get kicked in the face on exit.

If you got a face full of feet, you weren't very tight...

When I was on Hoopers 10-High team, we would reach around the jumper in front of us to the next jumper and get a grip for the exit run. Out the door I'd generally be looking at #8's reserve pin cover (I was 9th). Any later and Fugleburg (#10) would pass me! We took 4th of 105 teams at the Turkey meet in 75.

BTW, we would do that exit out of the L-10E which has a bit smaller door than the DC-3 :o

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

My experience with 10 way exits was much later but going #8 I had to wear a bandana on my face to keep from getting Cordura burns on my chin from the reserve container of the guy in front of me. Our exits were accomplished in under 1.2 seconds from the first show to the last part of #10 leaving the door. Any more than 1.5 seconds and someone was going to get hurt. In excess of 1.7 and someone was gonna get hurt bad and we probably wouldn't get the piece properly launched.

"Last door on the right. First star on the left."

jon

Nice to hear that Mr. Douglas will be back in the air.

There was a C47/DC3 at Perris back in the 80s that had amazing floater bars. If I remember correctly, the bars above the door appeared to be from a city bus. Hell for strong. The step was aluminum. The bars stared a good 5' in front of the door and ended at least 10' behind the door. The local 20 way team was dirt diving with what looked to be everyone floating. Big folks on the outside, little folks underneath. Very impressive.
Never got to jump at all that trip. The weather sucked the whole weekend. A few hop 'n pop loads got off. That's it.