DougH

What is this rig #323?

Presumably made by a military rigger as the materials are all camo/OD when the stuff was not in general or civilian use. Might be an early Rodriguez rig, predecessor of the Rod's Rebel although his main containers were a little more refined before the advent of Three Rings. Trying to remember whether Rod worked out of Raeford, North Carolina.

Lines are similar to the military rigs made by Paraflight. Early one of those? Allen Gencarelle could probably ID it if so.

anybody else?

jon

That rig in the photo would have to have been after a "rod's rebel" and not before it, I have one, it was my first rig and it wasn't a piggy back, mine is stamped San Leandro CA, if I remember right, it's in the loft an hour away, for sure it says CA, while the DOM is not readable the best guess is it's a late 74 or so.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Looks like a Para-Flite MT-1 system.

It might also be "hot". It wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to pick up some extra money selling stolen military parachute equipment.

It would be a good idea if any one was contemplating buying this rig to learn a bit more about the seller and get serial numbers of the rig and canopies.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

Looks like a Para-Flite MT-1 system.

It might also be "hot". It wouldn't be the first time someone wanted to pick up some extra money selling stolen military parachute equipment.

It would be a good idea if any one was contemplating buying this rig to learn a bit more about the seller and get serial numbers of the rig and canopies.

HOT!? It's a frikkin' museum piece. Better not try to export it tho.

That rig in the photo would have to have been after a "rod's rebel" and not before it, I have one, it was my first rig and it wasn't a piggy back, mine is stamped San Leandro CA, if I remember right, it's in the loft an hour away, for sure it says CA, while the DOM is not readable the best guess is it's a late 74 or so.

Not late 74... That rig has 3-rings which didn't even arrive on Wonderhogs until late 75.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

You misunderstood, I know that the rig in the OP's photo's is not from 74......But my "rod's rebel" is a 74 or in that hood and it was made in CA not NC.;)

Gotcha, sorry for the confusion (though that seems more normal these days)...

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Para-Flite never built a rig that ugly!

Also remember that the whole MT-??? series came after the Swift 5-cell, which was introduced in 1981.
The first Swift harness/container - also introduced in 1981 had the very first mini-3-Rings.

The biggest difference between this "monstrosity" and a Swift/MT-??? rig is that MT-??? have vertical pin covers on their reserves. Try to picture one ripcord pin at the top of the reserve container and the second reserve pin at the bottom/mid wall.

I jumped one of those...ONCE! :o:ph34r:

A friend of mine got it in 79 or 80 used...his had R-3's on it and a heavy weight cloud with rings & ropes, Hotdog PC, Strong 26 LoPo.

The closing loops must have been 4-5 inches long as I recall. :S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

NOT true rob.i worked for para flite "back in the day" mt1 production was already in full swing in december of 1979. i know because my brother and fang fenimore (both of whom worked for p.f.i. )were sent to jay hildens shop in florida to build MT1 rigs at The Annex.they were there for 2 to 3 months while trying to iron out some production problems.

NOT true rob.i worked for para flite "back in the day" mt1 production was already in full swing in december of 1979. i know because my brother and fang fenimore (both of whom worked for p.f.i. )were sent to jay hildens shop in florida to build MT1 rigs at The Annex.they were there for 2 to 3 months while trying to iron out some production problems.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So, are you saying that the Annex was building HALO rigs for Para-Flite back in the late 1970s ... long before the Swift system was invented in 1981?

I worked for Jay when I first moved to Deland sewing harnesses and setting grommets on MT-1's. Don't remember the exact date, but it would have been Winter of 79-80. (I'll have to check my logbooks when I get home from work later this week.) I had to sleep in my van for the first month or so and never thought when I moved to Florida that I be freezing my a$$ off and having to scrape ice off my windshield in the mornings before going to school.

I think it's one of these. But maybe not.
The seller is in Fredericksburg, VA. She should just hop right over to USPA, in her home town, and get someone to ID it.
(Or you can just buy it, Doug, and I'll look at it next weekend.):P

HW

It looks like a Wonderhog fl1 or possably an eagle system, it's hard to tell from the angle. Another view from directly behind would solve the mystery.

Mick,