22 22
quade

DB Cooper

(edited)

If anyone has any relevant questions for Florence, send them to me in an email and use your real name. We will be approaching her in August, or late July. (Not me personally, of course.) I will forward you her answer(s). The limit is ten questions total from EVERYONE, since I'm doing this in my classic 'Ten Questions For...(someone's name).' format I used to do with Newsvine. Don't post your questions publicly here at Dropzone or anywhere else, if you please. Otherwise you will be rejected from participation. Send them IN AN EMAIL ONLY. Your questions will be kept private. You may attach an image or two that has to do with your question. Limit is ONE question from any one person. 

I know some of you out there in Cooperland often ignore anything good either myself, or AB of Seattle tosses your way. If you don't have any questions, I will be more than willing to fill in all ten of them on my own. I have plenty of questions I would ask, but to be fair I will offer some of them to other Cooper investigators. Actually, there are only EIGHT available. I already took two of them. B) The way it works is Flo is asked the questions and the guys doing the interview fill in her verbal responses on paper. Then they send them to me. At the end, the results will be published but I won't add your name to which question you asked. You'll know which one is yours anyway. Everyone participating gets a private copy of the completed document that can be printed if you like. The reason I always limited these types of interviews to ten questions is to not overburden the person being interviewed, and the questions tend to be more well thought out and smart. Yes, there are other parts to this project. The Ten Questions thing is just a portion of it being offered to other Cooper folk. 

Deadline is July 21. adventurebooksofseattle AT Gmail dot frickin com. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
4 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

I think we've heard that one before.

Don't be a smart alec. I don't just spend my time making this stuff up as I go along. You can submit your question or not, that's up to you. If no one wants to participate, I will fill in the questions myself, but then I don't want to hear any whining if you don't think some of them are good, important to ask, or relevant. I made the opportunity available. You don't have to take it. This could be the last time she answers anything. Remember...it isn't me actually doing this. It is a teacher from South Carolina and a relative of hers working together. They approached me to supply some of the materials, pictures, other things. We're working on this together as a team, and I told them there is no rush. This has to be approached delicately, as they say. 

EDIT: There IS no rush. We're not even submitting the materials to them until after the Cooper Party. What type of interview, what format, etc. is still being worked out. We don't want to overwhelm anyone. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

21 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Don't be a smart alec.

Of course I'm a smart ass. And you should be laughing as much as anyone because you know that what I said is true.

Just tellin' it straight, as someone here likes to say.

(edited)
7 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Of course I'm a smart ass. And you should be laughing as much as anyone because you know that what I said is true.

Just tellin' it straight, as someone here likes to say.

Took me a while to figure out what you were talking about. If memory serves, that interview was canceled. This one will not be canceled. Matters not to me if anyone has any questions to email for her. I have more than ten I would like to ask, but that's the limit. 

Considering all the hatred and outright lies being spread lately, people are lucky I even communicate with Cooperland any more. When people do things like that, there is only one possible reason for it. They are jealous of you, or they are afraid of you. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother. 

A second question would be WHY are they afraid of you, or jealous, and feel the need to pose and lie under anonymous names when everyone knows perfectly well they are members of Shutter's Cooper forum, or supporters/participants in this year's convention? This answer is easy. Because no matter how many dirty tricks they try, or how loudly they howl, they haven't managed to stop us from having the second-best selling book on the Cooper case, two thousand followers at Cooper Quora, stop the Cooper Party, 150,000 views at YouTube on our Cooper videos, 10,000+ views monthly to the 55 articles at Cooper WordPress, and nearly FIVE MILLION VIEWS overall at Quora, all content. Their efforts were not only pointless, but sometimes have turned the public against them, and continue to do so. They should quit while they are ahead, before they do even more damage to themselves.  

And let's face it...they tried pretty hard¬¬ That's just ONE example in a series. None of it worked. Not a bit. 

Anyone with a question for Flo can send it along in an email, otherwise dismiss this offer and move on. There are only seven slots left. Someone emailed a very good question today and it was added to the two I have right now for her. Anyone doing this is welcome to attach a picture or two if it is needed for their particular question. You should present this picture in as high a resolution as possible, at least 150 dpi for printing. The pictures will be printed up with the question, not sent to her in email or the like. Otherwise, you could go low res on them. If a picture won't work, I would let you know or try a couple of programs I have to boost the resolution for printing. 

Just so everyone understands....this Flo approach was not my idea. These guys came to me only because they thought I could help them present an informational package for her that they could work with for an interview. So I am doing that. Let's face it. I'm not planning to go to South Carolina anytime soon. I won't even be speaking to her myself. Yes, I did a background check on both of them before responding to their messages. I always do this unless it is someone I already know hangs out in Cooperland. They were legitimate, and are who they say they are. After that, I was willing to move forward. No rush though. I'm busy working my regular job and planning the Cooper Party right now. After July 11...until then it is just phone calls and emails and some tossing around of ideas. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
1 hour ago, dudeman17 said:

Your interview with the Sky Sports guy was canceled? Why didn't you ever say so.

I got a lot of negativity from other Cooper folk. You offer them stuff, they come back with lies about the relationship between myself and Skipp Porteous, and an assortment of other trash. Maybe I just said the hell with it. 

Try to understand my position here. No one calls out Bruce Smith, even when he lies about what happened at the last Cooper Party in Ariel, and when he lied regarding the time when Meyer Louie and I were worried about him enough to drive up there and try checking on him. (The cops had been there for a welfare check the day before, we found out.) Then he hosts more lies on his website and is a featured speaker this year at Cooper Con. Do you understand how ridiculous some people find this situation? Do you hear Eric Ulis bragging he's selling out for Cooper Con? Did anyone stand UP for the idea that AB of Seattle could actually help you guys pack the house this year? Blah blah blah...I could go on but you've heard it before. 

I finally gave up on you guys, pretty much. Not saying you personally, but hatred and lies are all we see coming from people like Bruce and his anonymous friends...all of whom are associated with Shutter's forum or the convention. The truth is, you guys don't deserve our help, and are so stubborn you would rather do a crash and burn at the convention than admit we might be right about a few things. I would respect some of you a lot more if you stood up for what is right, rather than what is popular with a fairly small group who mostly hang out at a site where the public can't even see your links or pictures. You guys forget there is a public Cooper fan base out there, most of whom never post anything to anything regarding Cooper. But they are the people who buy the books and attend the conventions. You will never have any real success with the public until everyone sets aside their differences and works together for the common good. We pretty much gave up on all of you. 

I am not perfect by any means. But you guys come on to everyone like your shit never stinks and you never make a mistake, or never tell a lie, or never use your public sites to support lies. People are starting to figure out it's all bullshit. 

At the time I was considering interviewing the Sky Sports guy, some things had reached a head and I just said the hell with it. That was the point we decided here at AB to just go out on our own with some Cooper stuff. We would invite you to cooperate with us, and us with you...but that was rejected as well. You guys have a one-way-street mind and in my opinion are the losers for it. You've decided no one is to have anything to do with anything done by AB of Seattle in the case. Okay, fine. 

But the problem is...we actually reach many more Cooper fans than you possibly can, or could. That's why we have all the book sales and much of the internet traffic from Cooper fans. You guys are okay in some ways...but you are also a relatively small group who does little to no self-policing and ignores opportunities that come your way. We finally sort of gave up on all of you. We decided you were never going to come around, even if it benefited YOU. At that point, we knew working within the known Cooper folks was a waste of time. Too many personal issues having to do with lies and hatred, and a basic ignorance on what is best for everyone exploring the Cooper case. I got tired of trying to make certain people see reason. At some point, you have to move on and just do your thing. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I have to admit that sometimes I find Bruce Smith's 'questions for Tina' over at the Shutter Cooper forum kind of funny. He wants this, he wants that. He wants answers to this, and answers to that. 

The problem is he has no patience with witnesses. Either they give him what he demands Right Frickin' NOW, or the hell with them. This is why he can't build trust with a witness, or get a second interview. He accosted Tina Mucklow at her front door and she slammed the door in his face. He supported the snapping of surreptitious pictures of her with his friend Galen Cook, and bragged when they were published on the internet. He didn't have any patience, or tried to develop a trusting relationship with Tina's sister's family in Shelton, WA...and then published a nasty article about them when they initially wouldn't give him what he wanted. (The Dormuth family). The result was that the Dormuths' said they weren't talking to anyone ever again in the Cooper case, or possibly being a go-between with the sister. Some in that family SAW Bruce's article, and that was that. 

Then he allows scores of lying and hate-based posts on the same article where he promotes the upcoming convention. 

Tell me there isn't something wrong here. He actually hurts solving the case more than he helps it. I already said before that Bill Rataczak saw these comments at Mountain News, and this may have been a factor on why he ditched Cooper Con 2021 two days later. I can't say for sure that's the reason Bill did what he did, but it may have been a factor. Until Bruce learns a few lessons, he will never make any progress beyond a first interview with ANY of the main witnesses. 

Even his first experience with ME was a lie. When I first came along in the Cooper case years ago, he called me on the phone and told me (falsely) that he worked for a local newspaper. (He hadn't worked there in a while.) So I did the interview to be polite. The only place it ever appeared was at Dropzone. 

When he showed up at my house just prior to the 2018 convention, he knew I wasn't there because I had made a post at Mountain News and at Dropzone telling everyone I would be gone camping that weekend. And he RESPONDED to that post. When Gayla answered the door, he had a phony 'press badge' hanging around his neck with Mountain News on it in an attempt to intimidate Gayla. Actually, that worked because we get few unscheduled visitors and he scared the crap out of her.  She told him to get lost when he identified himself and shut the door in his face. Later, Gayla called my cell phone up in the Olympics where I was camping...and then I called up Bruce and told him 'do not do that again'. I would have been okay with it, except I knew that BRUCE KNEW I wasn't there that weekend. 

A free WordPress blog does not give you the right to issue yourself phony press credentials. Just saying. Newspapers and legitimate online news organizations are registered businesses and pay taxes. They don't just print up baloney press cards on their printers and have them laminated at the local shopping mall lamination machine. ¬¬ I guess you have to buy a lanyard, too. Fred Meyer has them I heard. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Due to popular demand (messages we've received this week) the Free Spaghetti Feed at the Cooper Party will be changed to a Free BBQ Dinner. Hot dogs and hamburgers mostly, via Costco, plus the buns and usual condiments with some side dishes in #10 cans. 

I will adjust the website page on this over the weekend, and make changes to the informational PDF. We're also going to announce that this event is finalized. We now have enough applications to justify Greg the Techie Guy's generous budget. 

Truth is, this makes a lot of sense switching to BBQ. It worked at the 2016 Ariel Party, after all. The press release on this event goes out just after June 8th to most recognized media between Seattle and Portland. Two local papers have already agreed it is worthy of mention. 

Tell you one thing, though. It was hard to convince people this was a worthy event and I think the Covid-19 epidemic had a lot to do with it. But the news regarding vaccinations, at least in the Great Northwest, has been improving every week. Not everything this year has to be a negative. If you can't get rid of all the negative, the best thing to do is to create something positive. It's been more work than you can believe to organize this whole thing. We started last November, but it's only been recently that I thought we stood a chance to pull it off successfully. I am no longer in doubt that we can...and WILL. 

My thanks goes out to people like Greg, a couple of people in Bonney Lake, WA (you know who you are), members of a certain Nissan owner support forum, and a host of others who believed. 

Sometimes, you just have to believe and keep your eye on the goal. 

We're caught in a strange situation regarding the Cooper Party in July. I checked the website stats and doc downloads at AB and I see that the two-page informational PDF has been downloaded a LOT of times. On the other hand, not that many people are actually contacting us about it, even though we give a couple of ways to do so in the PDF. Maybe 80 downloads for each person who contacts us about it. 

On the OTHER hand...the document itself is all you would really need to find the party in July. It gives the GPS coordinates and the exact Google Map reference. So....

We have no idea how many people will actually show up. It's exciting, but scary at the same time. What if nobody shows up? What if we get flooded by folks at the last minute, or on Saturday morning, since most of the main action happens on Saturday? I told Greg today, "We're either going to do a big crash-and-burn and sit out there alone all weekend, or we may get more people than we can handle..." 

Greg replies: 

"Screw it. Do it anyway. See how many show up. If no one shows up, we'll just sit around and watch movies all weekend."

Would be kind of funny if we set all this equipment up, the big banner, the flag, the little stage, the PA system, the bath tents, the toilets, and the big screen projector and we were the only ones there. I know that won't happen, though. We do have a hardcore group of people who swear they are coming rain or shine. I guess we will see. I have modified the informational PDF today and switched it out at Quora and the main site. You can see it here

I figured in the end we may as well commit and do it. I need a vacation anyway, and no one will ever be able to say we didn't do what we said we would do. B)

I don't think it will hurt if I post up the content of the email we sent out today to both the VIP email list and the public email list regarding the upcoming Cooper Party. Responses to it are already appearing in our inbox. It just kind of shows where we are, and that we are planning to toss this thing whether anyone shows up for it or not. My thought is that people will show up for it. Most will probably come on Saturday. Hard to say, though. 

Hello Everyone,
This is Robert Blevins from Adventure Books of Seattle and this is the latest update on the D.B. Cooper 50th Anniversary Party scheduled for between Friday morning, July 9, 2021 and Sunday morning, July 11. As most of you know, this party will be held in the Snoqualmie National Forest under a permit, and a press release about it goes out just after June 8 to most major Seattle/Portland area media. (This includes a guy from Portland who was just added to this email list.) 

Our situation is a sort of Catch-22 kind of thing. There has been a fair amount of response through the Contact Form at our main website page on this party. But we still have no idea how many people will show up. Officially, we are limited to 75 people in the main area, although additional campers can set up shop just outside that area and we will still be in compliance with Forest Service rules. We're almost totally prepared now, and have reserved a small U-Haul trailer to help haul the additional gear. The Catch-22 on this is we still have no idea how many people will show, which is a factor that affects how much food we bring for the Saturday BBQ. (It was changed from a Spaghetti Dinner to a free BBQ, on request from a few of you.)

What I'm trying to say is that we need to know from each and every one of you reading this now if you intend to show up for the party, and we need to know this as soon as possible. This is not a spam email, folks. All messages you have received so far are sent BCC ('blind carbon copy') to avoid the evil spammers. But we've been planning this event since last November, and time is growing short. We do expect that because Forest Road 7300 is a very popular route on weekends up to certain overlooks of Mt Rainier, that we will get some drop-ins over the weekend, probably starting on Friday. One reason is because we are leaving a pile of informational brochures about this party at the famous Greenwater General Store, which is the last stop for anything before you turn off-road to the party. And there are always those folks who downloaded the two-page PDF (final version) and who plan to show up, but didn't contact us first. This PDF gives the Google Map reference and the GPS coordinates for the party, as well as our contact information. 

To cut to the chase, especially for that guy I just added to the email list (Yes, Doug. I mean you.) I will attach the PDF and a link to the main page at Adventure Books of Seattle about this party. 

For the remainder of you, please let me know before June 8th if you are serious about attending. If you want a refresher on what's actually going to happen at this party, read the PDF and go to the website link for full details. Both have been updated in the last two days. We would also like to know how many are in your party, to help us decide certain things about the Costco shopping for the BBQ on Saturday, July 10. Any questions you have should go to Robert or Greg at [email protected] 

Link to the PDF that gives the basics, two pages, suitable for printing. Feel free to send it to others or use it in any way you wish: https://www.adventurebooksofseattle.com/CooperPartyNoticeFinal.pdf

Link to the updated page ABOUT the party, with more details:  https://www.adventurebooksofseattle.com/2021-db-cooper-party-info

I am attaching some general pictures of the area where the party will be held, and some other interesting ones. People have asked me why we are doing this. Two main reasons. We now have the second-best selling book on the Cooper case, Into The Blast, with the Geoff Gray book Skyjack as the best seller. We want to do a thank-you to everyone who has supported us, and this is how we will do it. Second reason is because the last of the famous Cooper Days parties at the Ariel General Store and Tavern, the ones held by the late, great Dona Elliot came to an end in 2016. We actually sponsored that one and convinced the TV show Expedition Unknown with Josh Gates to show up and film a portion of that party for their Cooper episode. So it is time to have another Cooper party, and we believe the 50th anniversary year of the hijacking is the perfect time to do it. The only drawback we ever saw to the original party down in Ariel was that everyone had to pack up and head home at 2AM in the morning. We have fixed that problem by running this event from a Friday morning until Sunday morning. Of course, people are free to arrive or leave anytime they wish. You can't miss where we will be. There will be a large banner hanging near the area where you drive into the site. In pictures, it may look small, but it is slightly smaller than a football field without the end zones. Plenty of space and some private areas away from the main area, if you want more privacy. As you know, we are also providing two shower tents with hot water showers and portable flush toilets, one for men and one for women. There will also be a small stage, a PA system with stereo, and a media projector with big screen for movies. Other stuff...it's all on the main DB Cooper party page at the AB of Seattle website. And of course, if you have questions feel free to email us at [email protected] 

Sincerely yours,
Robert M. Blevins - Co-founder and managing editor, Adventure Books of Seattle

I always try to give it to people straight whenever I can. ^_^

(edited)

NOTICE: Greg and I had a meeting of the minds over the last couple of days. Ignore the previous post. None of those links work anymore. We're going with a secondary theme for the party besides just Cooper. It occurred to us after reading what Cooper Con is going to be all about. 

Greg brought up the fact that it was about the same location, just north of Mount Rainier where the party is scheduled, where Kenneth Arnold became the first person to report UFOs, which happened on June 24, 1947. (He wasn't flying over the spot, but he reported seeing these objects flying over the same location as our scheduled party. After his first sighting, the UFO's moved on, but that's where he first saw them, he said.)

Although UFO reports go back quite a ways in history, Arnold's report was the first one to make international news, and the term 'flying saucers' was coined as a result. 

So...we sent out some feelers to a couple of UFO groups and got a very positive response. At 5,000 feet, the party location is a very good place to set up a UFO watch party. Seems like people are jumping on this idea a lot quicker than DB Cooper. We just can't seem to exceed the 25-40 *absolutely confirmed* attendees for a party strictly dedicated to Cooper. We came to the idea there isn't enough interest these days in just Cooper alone. Fifty years is a long time. Plus, the site we picked for the party is absolutely PERFECT for UFO viewing. Open in all directions at about 5,000 feet. I've been there at night. The Milky Way looks like someone tossed a bucket of milk across the sky, and it's thirty miles to the closest city lights. (Enumclaw) PERFECT. 

So...taking a lesson from the upcoming convention, we decided to do primary focus on the UFO theme, with secondary on Cooper, although there will still be a Cooper Lookalike contest if anyone is interested in that. However...we are shifting some of the prize money over to best UFO costume instead. Free BBQ lunch is still in place, and so is the Covid vaccine requirement. 

I have deleted all articles, links, pages, and PDF docs related to this event from Facebook, our main website, Quora, WordPress and elsewhere. I have a new document ready to go and notices going to all NW UFO groups. I think we're on the right track, too. After I sent out some initial feelers about these ideas, I got six people who wanted to sign up and RIGHT FRICKIN' NOW. This only proves that aliens and UFO's are more popular these days than Cooper. Anyone and everyone who wants to get up on stage and grab that microphone to tell their own UFO story, or their beliefs on this theme, will be welcome to do so. We will also have a very good hi def Sony camera ready to shoot video if anything passes overhead during the weekend. Also a big telescope, which one of our cleaning customers generously provided for the event. 

Yes...I did get this idea from Cooper Con. But at this point, with the lack of cooperation between the two events, it's comparing apples to oranges, as they say. Cooper Con is going for the cerebral crowd and panel discussions. We're going for the party folks who want to have a fun weekend a mile above sea level. A new page at AB, article at WordPress, and releases at the usual online outlets we have will be updated in the next two days. 

Until then, HERE is the updated PDF for this event. Webpages will appear with full information over the next couple of days. Greg is a great guy. I love working with people who are smarter than I am, especially a guy who has been a friend since Windows 3.0 came out. B) I'm sure the usual naysayers will add to their long list of lies and insults about us over at Bruce Smith's Mountain News, but we figure their ongoing trash will only hurt Cooper Con anyway. 

Greg is pretty fast...he already has the new webpage in place. Beyond the ugly rhetoric over at Bruce Smith's place, I still have to thank Bruce for giving us this combo-event idea. So, our thanks go out to Bruce for that, anyway. I am posting notices with the proper links to this event at a couple of UFO forums. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Tribute to B.J. Thomas, who passed away this week. Story goes his voice was strained when he recorded his song for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and even Robert Redford questioned its inclusion in the movie. "It wasn't raining," he said, but admitted later how wrong he was about it. 

Ad we are running in Seattle:

A free UFO Skywatch and DB Cooper Party is scheduled for Friday morning, July 9, 2021 and runs through Sunday morning, July 11. This event is an organized campout and is free to attend. It is being sponsored by Adventure Books of Seattle. Location is on US Forest Service road 7300, and about nine miles south of Greenwater, WA. Limit is 75 campers at the main site. There is a 'DB Cooper Character Lookalike Contest', and 'Best Alien/UFO Costume' contest, both with prizes. 

The location of this event is in the same place where the famous Kenneth Arnold, a private pilot from Washington state, reported the first UFO sighting ever that reached international media coverage. Many amenities are provided, including shower and flush toilet tents for both men and women, a small stage with PA system, stereo, a ten-foot screen with media projector, and a Free BBQ Lunch for the first 75 people. There is no charge, and no one will be selling anything. Attendees are invited to go on stage and discuss their theories either on UFO's, their own experiences with UFO's, or talk about the famous 'DB Cooper' hijacking case. 

A two-page PDF you can download and print that shows the exact location of this event (and other important information) can be found at the link.

Despite the naysayers, we know what we're doing. B) I can hardly wait. 

(edited)

I will be flying down to Phoenix in mid-June to see my folks. When I return, then it's time to start organizing and packing up the gear for the July Cooper/UFO Skywatch Party. I'm sure Gayla will have a boatload of Amazon orders for me stacked up in the garage. A couple of weeks after that, we go to Costco for the last minute stuff.

This switch in the event seems to be working. Apps to attend are starting to pick up again. I see that Bruce Smith is going on about UFO's over at the Cooper Forum. No problem there...but if he plans to show up to Greenwater unannounced, he can forget it. I'm not going to officially ban him from attending, (although chances are <1% he would show up) but if he tries to do that without at least contacting us in advance, I will turn him away without mercy. If he asks us personally, like a normal person, I will allow it. I can do this based on Forest Service group campout rules alone. Once we reach 75 people, anyone else is at our discretion because we aren't really allowed to go above that number. And we are fairly close to that right now. There will be drop-ins as well, no doubt of it. 

I have a personal opinion regarding attendance to this November's Cooper Con. I shared this opinion at length with the Cooper Vortex guy. (He didn't answer, of course.)

My basic opinion is that the event will not sell that many tickets this year. I told Darren that pre-pandemic, all I had to do was put out a notice on Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, a certain Nissan owner support forum, and voila...I could get 20-25 people to show up to almost any Cooper Campout easily. (One famous exception was when I tried to do one in Oregon near Mt. Hood. Too far to drive.) The others were almost too easy to organize, and even easier to get people to show. 

But...

Because of the pandemic, and peoples' basic fears of 'super spreaders' or gathering in groups...especially if you are being asked to pay $21.50 a ticket and asked to attend over two days the week prior to Thanksgiving...that it is tougher now to fill slots and seats. 

Look at what AB of Seattle has had to deal with:  Our event is free. We are shelling out a free BBQ and hundreds of bucks in prizes. And instead of just promoting an event like this for a month prior, we have done it for six months or more. 

And still...by the end of April I was only able to convince maybe 30-40 people to show up *for sure*. The pandemic has affected everything, and continues to do so. Cooper Con is basically being advertised only on a website (Cooper Forum) where the links to the event information cannot be seen by the public...and one of your biggest speakers allows scores of hate-based comments on the very article where he PROMOTES the convention. I told Darren that both events should work together and support each other for best results. He didn't listen, of course. Previously on this thread, AB even offered to dedicate a special page at our main website with links and recommendations to the Convention, along with some advertising at Quora Cooper, which has 2,000 followers by direct email. Also an article at Cooper WordPress, which averages thousands of views a month to those 50 or so illustrated articles. If I were to post a general article to the main Quora community...well...that would probably reach tens of thousands of people PDQ. I have over four million views to content there. 

It was all rejected, as well as some promotion going at the Cooper Party next month. Well, okay. No one can say I didn't try to assist you. But as November grows closer, you should consider that if Eric Ulis finds he can't sell many tickets, or even as many as last time...he could conceivably cancel the whole thing if he can't cover theater rental expenses. Or...that participants will find themselves looking out over a bunch of mostly empty seats in a venue that holds what...maybe 300 or more? 

Our opinion here at AB is that once those filthy comments Bruce allows starts getting over a hundred in number...it could conceivably not only hurt attendance to the convention, but convince some of the other speakers to bail from the whole damn thing. I can't say for sure, but with the difficulty in just getting bodies in the door these days, it is foolish to shoot yourselves in the foot. 

But we will see what happens, I suppose. I do wish the convention the best of luck, but I think you will find out the same thing I did. Post-pandemic, it ain't easy to fill the seats on practically anything these days. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Power went out for a couple of hours this evening. This gave me an opportunity to test the portable power station I bought for camping use, as well as the July Party. It easily ran a 25 inch monitor, one of the main office computers, the cable box (for internet and phone) and the computer speakers. Power station went from 99% down to 63% in two hours with plenty of reserve remaining. I am recharging it right now. 

For those of you living in hurricane or windstorm-prone areas, or where your power goes out more than normal, you might want to consider this one. Runs not on a bunch of strung-together 18650 lithium flashlight batteries, (the fat ones you usually find in tactical flashlights) but a single Life-PO 4 battery. (Lithium Iron Phosphate battery, which is much safer and will take up to 3,000 recharges. And Life-PO 4 batteries themselves ain't cheap. But they are safe, take way more charges, and well...they ARE heavy. 

This unit, shown below, has true pass-through technology (safely charge unit and USE it at the same time), has a voltage regulator so it will give you full power right up to the end, and a built-in MPPT solar regulator. Comes with all the connectors and chargers, 12 volt, (charge from big battery) wall plug in, and even standard solar panel connector. All of them go into the same port. The unit, if you are charging while using it, will go back and forth on the display and show you how much is going OUT (how many watts you are drawing), and how much is coming IN (how many watts of charge are coming in), and estimate in hours and tenths of hours how much juice you have left under that scenario. Has two 3.0 USB power ports and a high speed USB power port. Two AC outlets, one three prong, one two prong. One cig lighter power port and two DC 12 volt power ports. Best unit I ever found and costs about $200. Rated at 300 watt hours. When I use it in the field, I keep it charged with a 50 watt Renogy solar panel. If you are just using it and not charging at the same time, then the display just shows watts going out, the battery indicator and a percentage meter, and the estimated time you have left drawing those watts. Of course, it has all the usual overload, overcharge protection, and short-circuit protections going, too. 

If the power outage had been extended, I would have had to drag out the dual fuel generator, but thankfully it never came to that. 

You can find the unit at Amazon here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GPL38M3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Price is $259 but there is a $50 coupon for it. When I bought one, the coupon was slightly higher at $60. If you've ever thought about picking up something like this, trust me when I say you won't be sorry on this one. It's way ahead on the technology and the price. I shopped for a month before deciding on it. 

Power Station.jpg

Saw a funny poster behind some guy at his office. He was being interviewed for TV. The sign said:

"Don't wait for your ship to come in. Swim OUT to it."

I liked that one. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert - Turn on any sporting event and take a good look. No one is fearful of any kind of super spreader any longer. It's over. Only those with legitimate health concerns are worried at this point. Everyone else is getting back to normal. If your campout bombs, or if Cooper Con bombs, it will be for reasons other than Covid.

(edited)
7 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert - Turn on any sporting event and take a good look. No one is fearful of any kind of super spreader any longer. It's over. Only those with legitimate health concerns are worried at this point. Everyone else is getting back to normal. If your campout bombs, or if Cooper Con bombs, it will be for reasons other than Covid.

Well, I think some of that is at least partially true. Earlier in the year, we were having a great deal of difficulty moving past the 30-40 'solidly confirmed' mark on attendees to the campout. We hit this wall and then things pretty much stopped. I have to admit that since I shifted gears on the July party and started leaving notices at SUFON and MUFON, we started picking up more people. 

I have tried hard to be honest with you guys (Cooperland in general) on how Bruce Smith's continued allowance of those filthy-ass comments on the same article where he promotes the convention is REALLY dumb...but none of you are listening. Haven't really had to hide much from you about this. I know that Greg used the AB email (three of us have access to it, although 99.99% of the time I'm the only one who sends or reads anything from that email address) to link Bill R to the list of comments at Mountain News. Two days later, Bill cites his wife's health and cancels coming to Cooper Con. 

Well, okay. Maybe it was just coincidence. Maybe not. I truly do not know. 

What will happen to Cooper Con if this continues? Will someone start linking this stuff to other sites, to the Kiggins Theater staff, or to people like Capt. Smith's daughter, or Mary Jean Fryar? Everyone already knows Bruce is doing strawman posts on at least one of the identities himself, and the others are either participants or supporters of Cooper Con. Do you believe this is a GOOD thing for the Convention and will help sell tickets? 

You guys have it in your brains that we somehow want you to fail. That is ridiculous. After the 2019 convention, our book sales on Blast and even other books took a big jump, but especially on Blast and they have stayed there ever since. One reason is because a couple of newspapers covered the convention...and then people start Googling on Cooper this or that...and end up at our door sooner or later. We don't WANT you to fail. Better for you, better for us. Book sales increasing like that helped us finance the campout, after all. 

I tried to tell Bruce what he was allowing was mostly bad for both him and the convention, but he doesn't even open the emails. He isn't rejecting them, (no bounce message) but Mail Track, which we ran for a while, said he wasn't opening them. Maybe you guys should do a little self-policing here with him before he ends up doing more damage. 

Greg, my friend since about 1984, is a stand-up guy and has absolutely nothing to do with the Cooper case. All he does is keep the computer systems running smooth, and we go fishing or camping occasionally. He is a very private guy, and that's why he has almost no trace on the internet. He's not on Twitter, Facebook, or any social platform that I know of. He does code at 70 WPM and is one of the best I have ever seen at doing that. Companies compete to get him on board, and everywhere he goes, he solves their problems. Microsoft, when he worked there, was very good to him financially. When people started bringing his name up in a bad way for no good reason, well...he's the kind of guy who isn't going to take that lying down. He's going to do something about it and teach people a lesson. I got him to back off recently, but his patience is short. 

If you guys want a successful Cooper Con, the best approach is to present a united front, a professional front that does not descend into petty, juvenile hatred for the public to see. It is just going to turn people off. Sometimes I think certain members of Shutter's forum, the ones who can't attend the con because they live too far away or something...are actually trying to sabotage the whole thing. Have you considered how the convention will look to people by the end of summer if Bruce's article contains nothing but stack after stack of filthy comments about others? And those comments are associated with the upcoming convention and linked out to the public all over creation? Bruce is not paying for this convention. Eric Ulis and his sponsors are doing that. And here at AB, we know the theater rental rates and how much trouble Eric is going to, in order to make this happen. Bruce is going to end up trashing those efforts. Why should he care? Any losses are not coming from his pocket, are they? 

EDIT: Just some minor news. Plans have changed for Thanksgiving. We are not flying to San Diego. Grandma is coming up here. But I cannot attend the convention anyway, because we haven't seen her since the year before the pandemic, so I have to be here at home that week. I do wish the convention the best of luck...but until you guys get a handle on Bruce and make him see reality, I don't see you packing the house or anything close to it. If it goes too far with him...and ticket sales suffer...Eric could even cancel. Or he doesn't cancel, some of the speakers will. Or if they don't do that...the theater might decide they don't want to be associated with him. Get a life, guys. If everyone spends all that money to organize this thing, or the money to travel to the convention, and you find out hardly anyone showed up...you won't be blaming this on me this time. You will have to point the finger at Bruce Smith...a guy who continues to support hatred and lies in the Cooper case without regard to others who have invested a lot to make the con a success. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

1 hour ago, Para-DZ said:

This person Chaucer on the DBCooper forum is posting again about pressure bumps. What is he trying to prove? I don’t see him adding anything to the case. 

I think his current question is valid. He's asking whether there were oscillations or pressure bumps reported in the other skyjacking jump cases. Since the pressure bump is a major factor in trying to determine when Cooper jumped, I think there is relevance. As in, did the pilots 'feel' it when the other skyjackers jumped.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Para-DZ said:

This person Chaucer on the DBCooper forum is posting again about pressure bumps. What is he trying to prove? I don’t see him adding anything to the case. 

Well, everyone does their bit I suppose. The time of the pressure bump is generally associated with the exact time Cooper jumped from the back of the jet. That's the theory, anyway. So people spend a lot of time debating all that. Using this information, armchair investigators have determined the jump point within maybe a three-minute window, maybe a bit less. But with a three-minute window...and the jet traveling at about a mile a minute...and with a possible drift under canopy of a mile in either direction...this leaves a search area on the ground of no smaller than six square miles. That's a lot of area to search, although it doesn't sound like much. I was with Search and Rescue back in the 1990's and went out on some searches that were close to that size area, and with 50-60 people involved. You figure out quick it ain't easy. ^_^ 

Discussion on the case is a good thing. Fewer people all the time even care about the Cooper case anymore. Even here in WA state, if you ask most people under the age of forty about Cooper....they just give you a blank look and say, "Who?" 

On another note, Greg's idea to change the July 9-11 Cooper Campout into more of a UFO Skywatch with Cooper relegated to a smaller part of the program is genius. I don't think we will have much trouble getting the UFO folks to show up now, especially since UFO's are all over the news right now and the Congressional report is being released. I am going to have to modify our page again at AB about the event, and release a WordPress and Quora Cooper article today. Along with some notices at all the UFO 'spaces' at Quora. We're limited to 75 people or so by Forest Service group camp rules, and it's looking like we won't have any trouble reaching that number. 

Besides...if it goes much higher than that...I probably can't feed them all. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I understand the importance of the pressure bump in determining when he jumped. Chaucer is trying to say there is an issue with the reports of the oscilations and the pressure bump. He’s making an issue out of something that is not an issue. I’ve seen his posts.  

7 hours ago, Para-DZ said:

I understand the importance of the pressure bump in determining when he jumped. Chaucer is trying to say there is an issue with the reports of the oscillations and the pressure bump. He’s making an issue out of something that is not an issue. I’ve seen his posts.  

Since Chaucer isn't here right now, what do YOU think is the relevance of the pressure bumps? Maybe the whole thing is like what co-pilot Bill Rataczak said to the San Francisco Examiner (newspaper) back in 1996 or so:

"We know when Cooper jumped. We just don't know where he landed..."

For the book Into The Blast, he went into more detail, saying that when the crew's ears popped and the flight engineer saw the indicator light do its stuff on the panel, they knew Cooper had left the aircraft. 

On a side note, does anyone have a pet peeve about the Cooper case, the TV shows in general about it, and all the media you see about the case?

Oh yes...I have a PET PEEVE about damn near every TV show I have ever seen on Cooper. Here it is:

Almost every single time, they start out by telling you there was a big storm going on the evening of the hijacking. That is complete baloney. The official weather records show there was no storm, and not anything even a second cousin to a storm. If you want personal testimony about it, rather than just the Weather Underground airport record, I will give you my experience. 

I was 17 when the hijacking occurred. We had a farm about 15 miles southwest of SeaTac airport. Hardly any wind, just drizzle and depressing overcast all day. Typical November stuff. When I got home from school, they interrupted normal programming to cover the hijacking story, which was heavy drama for several hours, up until almost the 11 O'Clock News. Even Walter Cronkite got involved. You don't forget something like that. There was NO STORM. And Seattle's weather that day was actually a tiny bit worse than down in Portland. 

Hey does anyone here know anything about any suspect(s) from Alaska? Specifically there is a guy mentioned in this podcast episode: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-missing-in-alaska-62503099/episode/dont-knock-arizona-83091216/ at about 45 minutes in. Interview with the relevant guy starts at about 25 minutes in for more context, but it's really just a fleeting mention, very interesting nonetheless.