22 22
quade

DB Cooper

17 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

One skydiver told me this once, and comments on it are fine because I don't know the truth of this statement...but he said this...

"If Cooper had been an experienced skydiver who was jumping on a regular, or semi-regular basis back then, he probably wouldn't have asked for front and back chutes. He would have said 'mains' and 'reserves'."

Like I said, I don't know if this is true but it made me wonder.

I dunno. I'm not a hunnert percent sold on this. While at first glance that statement absolutely rings true, I have to allow a bit for the possibility that if Cooper WAS experienced, he may have 'dumbed down' or simplified his request, either for the benefit of the listener, or to NOT sound like a jumper. Shrug.

9 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

There was a plastic bag and a piece of fabric found on TBAR and taken as evidence. The fabric was consistent with bedding, twin sized 40 x 96.

Is that quilted mattress material or bed covering fabric like a quilt??

So Cooper is old school? Even out in the boonies, he hides his money under the mattress?

10 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

There was a plastic bag and a piece of fabric found on TBAR and taken as evidence. The fabric was consistent with bedding, twin sized 40 x 96.

Is that quilted mattress material or bed covering fabric like a quilt??

The 2001 date was a re-evaluation of prior evidence,, obviously, we don't know if it is related to the money but the FBI did collect it.

beddingmaterial1.jpeg.5342b9538ad9e36923b884a2b0482cac.jpeg

beddingfound2.jpeg.4a4b0c9d0d28c65417541b806875b8ae.jpeg

Shutter noted that these bits are likely from Reed island,, that makes more sense. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, dudeman17 said:

So Cooper is old school? Even out in the boonies, he hides his money under the mattress?

This find of a plastic bag and a quilt blanket is about in the same league as 'why did he use the term front and back chutes'? Hell, back in the early 70's people dumped all kinds of stuff in rivers, or along them, or whatever. The penalties, if any, weren't nearly what they are now. Nobody even cared that much about it. Today, if you tried doing that and someone saw you, they would probably start videoing you with their smart phone and calling 911 on you. Litter was a real problem back then. People just threw stuff from their cars or whatever they wanted and didn't think much about it. They would leave behind their trash at campsites along rivers even...and hardly give a second thought to it. If you are talking about the 70's, if the FBI had gone an eighth of a mile up and down the beach and started picking up the trash, they would have needed a truck to haul it all away. 

The one place where people still do this a lot is at the dead-ends of Forest Service roads, or at semi-remote campsites in those same places. Often, I have to use my shovel to dig out the last firepit someone did and turn over the garbage and aluminum cans left behind. But fifty years ago it was way worse. People would back up along the riverbanks and just shovel out their crap from their last move, no kidding. 

Looking forward to today's situation, one rule I have out in the woods is that if I come along a dead end and think about camping in a certain spot...and I see plastic tubing, propane tanks, and the like piled up...I turn around and get the hell out of there. Those are the leftovers you see from the meth makers. It may sound dramatic, but if you happen to pull up near one of those (usually circular-shaped) dead ends and see people there and those same items all over the place...don't try to say hello. Just turn around and get OUT of there. Sometimes these people, due to the heavy penalties for meth making...just start shooting at you and don't even bother asking any questions. I could raise your neck hair on end with some stories, but I won't. 

EDIT: Greg and I are planning a full dress rehearsal on all the gear for the Cooper Party as soon as the weather clears up. And frankly, it isn't just to see if everything will work. Since Covid struck we haven't had much chance to go anywhere and have any fun. And we are sick of this situation. This won't be done at the Greenwater site, but up in the Olympics because the snow levels are lower there, much earlier in the year than in the Cascades. I'm going to make the dates, maps, and location public beforehand and anyone is welcome to join us. Greg wants to fish, so we will almost certainly go to Spider Lake. Plenty of large spots there to set up all the gear for a test run. A couple of old illustrations shown below. Basically, we have to find out if we can run the generator and keep it quiet, will it run all the things we want it to, will the PA system and stereo not give us problems, will the big screen and the media projector not give us problems, etc etc. You know the drill. Plus, once we do this for real then we will know how to set everything up properly when the Real Deal happens. We bought a lot of new gear for this event and we have to ensure it all coordinates and works as it should. The only thing we aren't bringing is the portable stage, because we would need the trailer to get it up there. We figure THAT probably works. ^_^ If anyone actually shows up with us, they will have fun, sure. And they will also get recruited to help us with setup and testing. Yesterday, someone gave me a nice set of older Japanese-made bookshelf speakers. Those will go on top of our other, larger speakers, along with a subwoofer. Frankly, I can't wait to see how loud it gets. I expanded our playlist on a USB flash drive to over 100 tunes ranging from Elvis, to Motown, to 60's-70's rock, to Nirvana. That gets set up FIRST so we have something to listen to while doing the other work. Anybody happening along the site while we are doing all this, especially after dark, won't believe what they are seeing. Music going, a working PA to greet them, and the matching videos for those songs on the big screen. I have two versions of the playlist. One is just the songs themselves in MP3. The other USB has them in MP4 with the videos that went with those songs. Whether you run this stuff through the stereo directly, or through the media projector, both will do the music through the stereo speakers. 

SpiderLake1.jpg

SpiderLake2.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

DNA can only exclude.. (if it was Cooper's DNA)

partaldna.jpeg.578be142fd7241b828a59ff8bd52fd67.jpeg

This is an unconfirmed report of a parachute in a pond... the pond would be near Pearson Airport along the flightpath next to the Columbia R..

pearsonairportpondparachute.jpeg.1f2fbe92cf5a2ae112cb3bf5db5842db.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Exclusion-only on the DNA sample was admitted to me by Seattle FBI agent Fred Gutt. He did this both while on the phone with me, and in response to an email inquiry I sent them about the DNA. 

The fly in the buttermilk (as they say) is that the testing of a full DNA sample from a suspect against the PARTIAL sample they have is allegedly very expensive. This was also mentioned by Agent Gutt. What I don't understand is why the FBI doesn't release the results of their partial-sample DNA test. Without it, only the FBI gets to do any testing. We still have a viable, sealed-and-temperature-controlled DNA sample from Kenny Christiansen's brother Lyle, for example. 

On the other hand...when I proposed a test using the parameters stated by the FBI...to a company based in Tukwila, WA that can do this sort of extended-testing work, they quoted me a fee of $10,000 to do it if I wanted good results. They said your average boxed test you can buy for a hundred bucks wouldn't work, and they explained why it wouldn't. They also said that yes...all things being equal...they COULD eliminate Kenny using a full DNA sample from his brother against the partial FBI sample. But it isn't easy and wouldn't be cheap...hence the $10,000 fee to do it. 

Well, as much as I would like to run that test, ten grand is a lot of money. Another thing Fred Gutt told me was that the Seattle FBI had no intention of running any more tests of submitted samples from possible suspects. Someone up the food chain decided after the Marla Cooper failure that no further FBI funds would be allotted for such tests. Gutt said that the FBI had more pressing matters regarding their available funding. 

However, if the FBI would be willing to release their results then you could probably get some press organization or other entity to foot the bill on testing for a viable suspect. Maybe. But without the FBI data...it will never happen. 

On a completely different subject, I got a message from Quora dot com today congratulating me on five years today with them. This is the place where Cooper Quora is, the site I established at Quora for posts and ads regarding the hijacking. It's also the place where I invited all participants in Cooperland to sign on to that site to help generate attention to your opinions, books, events, suspect proposals, etc. 

Quora says I now have exactly 4.13 million views there, and average 802,600 per year for all content. That number is slightly skewed however...because most of those views come from the last three years. The first two years I was posting there, I was not as well known. This is why I get a chuckle when some folks in Cooperland say, "No one listens to RMB anyway..."

Really? B) Cooperland is relatively small. The public is much larger, and those are the people you should attempt to reach. Just in case you decide I might be right about all this, go to Quora, sign up using a legitimate profile, and then email me at [email protected] with your Quora name and profile link, and I will add you to the Contributors list. After that, you are on your own. False names are discouraged by Quora, and I have the same policy. If your profile is lacking in information or background, or you post using a username, you will be rejected as a Contributor to Quora Cooper. (Click on image to view full size. Use your back arrow to return.)

FiveYearsAtQuora.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I thought I had swore off interviews regarding Cooper, Into The Blast, etc. But I decided to relent this week and agreed to one with the head of a medium-sized motion picture company in New York, simply because the head honcho there is originally from Seattle. I'm not really 'big' on doing interviews anymore, (I've turned down a couple in the last year) but I have a soft spot for anyone who grew up in the Great Northwest. He found me through Facebook. No, it's not Nick Robinson, although he is also from Seattle. We are already working with him, mostly waiting for the Covid crap to pass. 

The Events Director (Laine) from the Kiggins Theater who applied to attend the July Cooper Party apparently had no intention of going. He just wanted on the VIP list, more or less. We messaged him and said he was free to show up if he wished, that we did support this year's Cooper Con although at this time we're not actively endorsing it publicly, but that the VIP email list was only for supporters of the event...and for people we were fairly sure would actually show up. So we dropped him from the list and said that if Kiggins and AB of Seattle weren't going to cooperate for the benefit of both events...that we couldn't keep him on the update list. To be honest, they can't help us as much as the reverse anyway. (It's looking like we will reach our minimum level of attendance to finalize the budget, but we're not counting on it quite yet. It's still early.) 

I tried to be nice, but if Laine had no intention of attending, he should have said so at the start, instead of indicating he would. I questioned the idea he was actually planning to drive 200 miles to Greenwater for the event, and I was correct.

It's no big deal, though. The situation boils down to this:

• There are two events going celebrating DB Cooper this year. (Other than the usual news releases noting that it's been 50 years since the hijacking)  
  • They are nowhere near the same in goals or purpose, and run by two completely different groups at entirely different times, and in two far-apart locations. 
  • One is a party celebrating Cooper. It has not been finalized, and won't be until June 5 most likely. It may not even happen at all.
  • The other is a convention with some very interesting guests. That event IS finalized. 
  • One will be populated with mostly 'regular folks' and your normal Cooper fans from the greater Puget Sound area. That is the July Party. 
  • The other will be populated by interested people and Cooper fans, mostly from the Vancouver-Portland area, and has a decent speaker list. 

I don't see a problem with either event, and neither are in competition with the other. This is because both events are aiming at different types of audiences. However, if the July Party IS finalized, we do get to go first and it would be better for the November event if some cooperation was involved. It would be better for the Vancouver event anyway. They cannot really help us, although we could help them sell those twenty-one dollar tickets a lot easier, we believe. Greg says that Kiggins might sell out the event, or they might not, but he thinks they need all the help they can get for two reasons. First, the event in Vancouver is right around Thanksgiving and that's a tough sell sometimes. The other is the cost of the tickets. 

I told Greg to let the people in Vancouver worry about that. If either the theater or the organizers want us to actively endorse the event, they will let us know at some point. Maybe they should wait until after June 5 to approach us anyway. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I see today that Eric Ulis believes that Cooper used the dummy parachute container to house some of the ransom money before he jumped. 

PROBLEM:  Cooper was SEEN by Tina Mucklow cutting lines from the pink parachute and using those to secure both the money bag, as well as a cord he tied around his waist. For Eric's theory to work, Cooper would have had to change his mind AFTER Tina Mucklow went forward...UNTIE the money bag, OPEN the dummy chute, DISPOSE of the dummy chute canopy somehow, (canopy was not found on board) and then remove money from the ransom money bag...place THAT into the dummy container...tie THAT together, cutting MORE line along the way...and then RE-TIE the original money bag a second time. And then...secure BOTH bags to his person somehow. 

Seems not likely Cooper would change his mind and go to all that trouble, especially after Mucklow saw him securing the original money bag in the first place. 

To top it all off...paracord is very difficult to untie once the knots are pulled tightly. The FBI would probably have found short pieces of cord lying on the cabin floor, since Cooper would have had to cut at least some of the lines free he had already used to secure the money bag, and to discard them in favor of newly cut line. No scraps of line were found on the plane. 

I'm surprised that members of The DB Cooper Forum didn't figure this out for Eric first. ^_^

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Minor update on the July 9-11 Cooper Party:  We are running some advertising for the event now, and that will continue until at least June 5th. No need to post a link to it. Folks in Cooperland already know where to find all the information on the party anyway. We don't expect the advertising to have much effect until after the end of April and into May. Frankly, it's too early for most people to commit to something not being done until the middle of summer. This advertising is directed at Cooper fans in the Seattle and South King County area. 

It's been decided to do only one more bulk email update to our email lists, the public one and the so-called 'VIP' list. I don't think we will need to do any additional updates past the one scheduled for April. Everyone on those lists already knows what 'the deal' is with everything anyway, and they can show up on July 9 or not, as they wish. Response to the whole idea has been slow, but steady. We think it will pick up as summer approaches. Word is getting out on a number of platforms. 

On June 5, a decision to finalize the event or not will be made. There is no other news. :handok:

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Correct date on how long advertisement will run. If we finalize on that date, ad will run until day of event.

(edited)

"It's been decided to do only one more bulk email update to our email lists, the public one and the so-called 'VIP' list. I don't think we will need to do any additional updates past the one scheduled for April..."

With ONE exception. We WILL send everyone on the email lists the multi-page PDF document with the maps, the scheduled programs and speakers, directions, contact information to party personnel etc...two or three weeks prior to July 9. The public version will be available for download three DAYS prior to July 9 and can be downloaded and printed from the website at that time. 

All of this is assuming of course...that the party is finalized on June 5. 

Saw something nice (that's never happened before) in our sales reports for AB. Someone actually used an Espresso Book Machine (probably in New York City) to buy an entire CASE (52 copies) of Into The Blast in March. That's dedication. It takes a couple of minutes to have the machine process just ONE book. Machine shown in the picture below. They must have waited for a couple of hours I bet. B) The way it works is if your book is in wholesale and being distributed by Ingram, buyers can scroll through thousands of books by author, title, subject etc and buy them at the wholesale rate, which for AB is 50% off the cover price. These machines are usually located in big-city, high-end bookstores. Or also large libraries I think. This case purchase would cost the buyer $300, of which AB receives $100. This is actually the cheapest way to buy from AB all around, since no shipping is involved and even street buyers can get the wholesale rate. But whether someone buys retail from Amazon, or wholesale through Ingram or their distributors, we always receive the same amount per copy sold. 

This, my friends...is why I wanted the folks at The DB Cooper Forum to lay off supporting the theft of Sheridan Peterson's anti-war book The Idiot's Frightful Laughter, and allow US to publish it free for him. Instead of a ridiculous, retail-only availability at a whopping 25 bucks a pop in paperback...Sheridan and his family would have collected wholesale royalties directly from his book for years to come. Of course, some of you would have none of that because AB of Seattle was involved...and screwed Sheridan out of his life's work...based on your dislike for me. Pathetic, selfish, are two words that come to mind. No use trying to deny what you supported. I have more than fifty screenshots showing the ugly truth on things. 

All done to obtain a few bragging-rights copies for a Cooper convention. You should be ashamed, and if you are not...there is something wrong in your character. 

espressoBookMachine.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

No big deal, but in case you're wondering why I kept the screenshots from the Cooper Forum, as well as Sheridan's angry emails to me about what you did...was in case his family ever comes calling and wonders what happened. 

And although Eric U had nothing to do with this copyright violation/theft of Sheridan's book...the whole situation is made worse when you also support the idea of Sheridan being D.B. Cooper...when you KNOW that EU has told outright lies about Sheridan and his history...basically just making stuff up about him...and you support all that as well. 

What an honest bunch you are. Or maybe not. This is the main reason why, even if I didn't go to San Diego almost every Thanksgiving, why I would never step foot inside a Cooper Convention supported by, or partially hosted by...members of the Cooper Forum. I do have some morals, and a real attitude about copyright infringement. There was no signed contract between Snownman and Sheridan Peterson, although Snownman tossed Sheridan a couple of free copies of his own stolen book, as if that made everything right. (I make exceptions for people like Tom K and Mark M '377', because I consider them sound and decent folks. And Marty, the book author.) 

You want to make it right with Sheridan and his family? Contact Snownman and tell him to remove that stolen book from Amazon. Let me remind you there is a copyright issue here. Once he does, I will arrange with Sheridan's surviving family to have the book published at no cost to them in the traditional manner, in wholesale, and with worldwide distribution. I hear a lot of whining about 'my Cooper book doesn't sell' from some Cooper Forum members who have books out there. Well, of course they don't. You have no wholesale distribution, and that means no bookstores, no retailers will go near them. In case you didn't know, the 50-55% discount off the cover price arrangement between publishers and wholesalers has been going since the 1920's. I have tried repeatedly to advise you on how you can make YOUR Cooper book sell like ours, and even offered to help some of you for free. I get repaid with insults. Well...you can just sit there and check your Amazon sales and hope you will move a copy or two this month. If you're lucky. Amazon is peanuts on retail-only books, unless you are a famous author with a history. When you have wholesale distribution at the trade rate, you also automatically recruit thousands of book wholesalers and retailers worldwide to list YOUR book for sale...because both THEY and YOU make a profit on each sale. They help you along. Why shouldn't they? They have nothing to lose and can make a buck as well. It's a symbiotic relationship beneficial to all sides...the author...the printer/shipper/distributors...and the wholesalers and retail entities that deal in books. 

Currently, Into The Blast is the second-best selling book on the Cooper case worldwide, at least in paperback, with Geoff Gray's Skyjack being first. But that's because we're on a level playing field with Crown Books, the imprint that does Skyjack. The only difference between them and AB of Seattle is that they have a bigger marketing budget. The Prime Directive (as Star Trek would say) in book publishing success is NOT to release a book at straight retail, using Lulu, or CreateSpace perhaps. You won't get far doing that. A few sales to friends, maybe the occasional Amazon sale, but that's about it. Overseas or worldwide sales? Forgettaboutit. You wouldn't believe the shipping. Kindle? Yes, you can do okay with them, even worldwide, as long as your price isn't too high. There is a lot of competition in the Kindle market. As far as paperbacks in normal distribution, all shipping is normal on book orders because these books are printed and shipped out locally from print bases in the USA, England, Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia. 

You'll probably say I'm angry with many of you because you don't support the Cooper Party, or for other reasons. I was disappointed by that, but not angry. Your loss, not ours. It isn't going to stop us, I can assure you. The ad has only been out two days and it's working already.

No...it is not that. I just don't like what was done to Sheridan and his family. Yes. I am VERY angry about that. It was easy for you to support the ripping off of his life's work, especially when he was 94 years old and in residential care. Easy to pick on a senior, lie about him, take advantage of him. You should put your heads together, talk to Shutter (since he's the guy who runs the Cooper Forum, supported all of Snownman's posts, and knows how to contact Snownman), and as Spike Lee once said, Do The Right Thing. 

On a side note, if any of you are ready to shift from selling two or three copies a month of your Cooper (or other type of) book, (as opposed to a few hundred copies a month) drop me a line and if you are nice I will show you how it's done. :handok:

SheridanPetersonMug shot,CHINA, 1992.jpg

SheridanCopyrghtRecord.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

As a member of the Washington Trails Association, (although I gave up the 50 mile hikes a while ago) I sometimes get interesting emails from members. I guess there is a trail down by Ariel, WA leading right to Cooper's hideout cabin. B) Click on image to view in full size. Click it again to return here. I think you have to click on it a couple of times before it actually becomes big enough to read. However, since I can't find a 'Forest Service Road 476' anywhere near Ariel, and to my knowledge there is no 'Washington WALKERS Association,' this is probably an April Fools thing. 

CooperTrail.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 12/12/2020 at 3:40 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

Geoff Gray ... was the one who named the different combination numbers from two of the stews out of the Facial Identification Catalog. Alice Hancock picked KA-3-9. Flo Schaffner picked KK-5-1. 

I have just received a reply to my FOIA request, submitted on 12.14.2020, for the relevant extracts from the Facial Identification Catalog of 1971. The FBI informed me that "potentially responsive records" have been destroyed.

Does anyone on this forum have images of the KA-3-9 and KK-5-1 profiles, as they originally appeared in the catalog?

(edited)
1 hour ago, DFS346 said:

I have just received a reply to my FOIA request, submitted on 12.14.2020, for the relevant extracts from the Facial Identification Catalog of 1971. The FBI informed me that "potentially responsive records" have been destroyed.

Does anyone on this forum have images of the KA-3-9 and KK-5-1 profiles, as they originally appeared in the catalog?

The FBI facial identification catalog was for law enforcement only so hard to find..

I did find this image on a page with KA3-9.. bottom left...  triangular head page.

vintage-fbi-facial-identification_1_b94515dc3f4a50846f12c7fb87a043fd.jpg.c529b36e0da7325a5d3d9dbe144a5753.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DFS346 said:

Unfortunately, no. The image presented by Flyjack is from a complete catalog that was once for sale on eBay, but has since been sold. There are no more for sale at this time. 

3 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

I did find this image on a page with KA3-9.. bottom left...  triangular head page.

Many thanks. Here's an attempt to reconstruct KA3-9 with perspective correction. Hard to see how this identification formed a basis for the FBI sketch.

KA3-9 corrected.jpg

(edited)
4 hours ago, DFS346 said:

Here's a comparison of the reconstructed KA3-9 with the FBI sketch.

KA3-9 corrected and unsub.jpg

I think your perspective adjustment is too skinny..

Alice picked out the head shape.. for the first sketch which was not good.

1stsketch.jpeg.2d0d519948700a3a2ca17449bd0cfd6c.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

I think you guys might be lacking in a sense of humor. I get angry sometimes when certain folks in Cooperland start lying, or going off the deep end. But on the other hand...I definitely have a sense of humor when it come to Cooper. You really have to, or you will get weird like the others. B)

Blasted.jpg

Bruce2.jpg

BruceMovie.jpg

ConspiracyTheory.jpg

Marla1.jpg

Marla2.jpg

(edited)
5 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

It was the "bing" sketch not the revised "B" sketch

My second calibration of KA3-9 was too wide in the horizontal axis. Here's a third calibration of KA3-9 based on the assumption that the page from the Facial Identification Catalog was standard US letter size (8.5" x 11" or 216 x 279 mm). If so, the individual photographs were about 39 mm wide by 49 mm high. The "Bing" sketch is shown for comparison, with eyeline and chinline matched.

KA3-9 corrected and unsub1.jpg

Edited by DFS346
adjusted KA3-9 head outline