21 21
quade

DB Cooper

41 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Seriously?

I can NOT imagine a mainstream company having parachutes in any kind of coupon book. Skydiving is nowhere near a big enough market to even put a blip on their radar. However, I CAN imagine someone on a drop zone making a JOKE about saving enough coupons for a rig. Skydivers will joke about anything.

That sounds way more plausible.

(edited)

I doubt there is a larger coupon book. Some of the items I saw in your display were upward of 3,000 coupons. And that was just a reasonably-high quality fishing reel, which is a lot cheaper than a parachute rig. If a person smoked a pack a day and saved the one coupon that comes with a pack, it would take you 8.2 years to save up enough to buy that item. And I'm sure that there were items costing more than 3,000 coupons. I can't imagine what a rig would cost in coupons, but you would die of lung cancer years before you could save the coupons to buy one. B)

Look...let me say this one thing regarding the upcoming Cooper Festival. It's okay if you support it, and it's okay if you don't. But either support it, don't, or just stay out of our way. Help is welcome, either personally or virtually if you want to involve yourself. But understand that no one before has tried something on this scale regarding the Cooper case, and for Cooper fans too...and asking for nothing, and doing it for everyone on our dime. 

Some people have justified their actions against the Festival by saying I did the same thing with the first Cooper Con held by Eric Ulis. That is not exactly true. I did not try to 'stop' the event. I sent a message to the Portland Yacht Club telling them that some of the scheduled speakers were also going around and calling Kenny Christiansen a child rapist without any proof...and folks, that is a pretty serious accusation to lay on someone without any proof. I asked the Yacht Club not to stop or cancel, but simply to tell Eric Ulis that he should inform any speakers he scheduled that this would not be allowed...to make such a non-proven accusation publicly...or I would hold them responsible if this happened. I also linked them to several of the comments, to show them what was going on. And on a matter of note, even today some of the same people who were making those filthy comments are still doing it today at Bruce Smith's website. And although this has not happened at Shutter's Cooper Forum, some of the people making those comments use false identities and are members of Shutter's forum. These days, we mostly ignore these comments and no longer quote them. 

The Yacht Club didn't even answer my email. Ever. They simply canceled the event and Eric had to move elsewhere. This is not my fault, folks. WORDS MATTER. And what you post on the internet can sometimes come back to bite you. That happened to be a popular topic at the time (calling KC a child rapist), and it mattered. After Eric re-scheduled to the hotel, I decided not to issue a second warning because I had no desire for him to have to find a third venue. Had people been reasonable and not blocked all communication, or had a website where they posted up a contact link that couldn't be seen by the public, this never would have happened. At the time, I did not know how to contact Eric, who I only knew as 'EU' or his first name. Otherwise I would have sent him my request personally, and all of this could have been avoided. 

Cooperation and reasonability are really lacking in Cooperland, my friends. This is why here at AB we decided to do a Cooper event on our own, and although we have an open invitation to everybody, even people who have done nasty things in the past, we decided to hold the reins on this event ourselves. There is just too much hatred going, too much infighting, too much baloney, to trust certain people with key responsibilities or inside information. Unless they call the past the past and prove to us they can be trusted. 

(EDIT: But the biggest reason we're doing all this isn't any of those reasons. We're doing it as our new version of the annual Ariel Store Cooper Day Party. I think everyone in Cooperland misses that party. We can't replace Dona Elliott's famous celebration, but I think we can build on...and honor...her legacy. (And we WILL honor her legacy at the Festival in a couple of ways.) We already have some experience here, having attended a total of three of the Ariel celebrations, and financially sponsoring, as well as helping organize the very last one that was ever held in Ariel.) 

It's been five long years since the last Cooper celebration. It's time for that drought to end. Maybe we will fall flat on our faces. Maybe we will get more fans and media to show than any previous Cooper event. Maybe it will rain. Maybe the sun will shine. No one knows for sure, but we're putting our money and effort where our mouths are, you can bet on that. 

So either get on board, ignore it, or get out of the way. I am okay with any and all of those choices. 

PublicFestDisplay (1).jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Edited to clarify certain points and information.

The guy at Elsinore was the smoker of Raleighs, he didn't see the suspect smoking Raleigh's, he claims he only saw the coupons in the "suspect's" possession. He assumed the "suspect" smoked Raleigh's because he saw coupons only.

He recalled this after studying the Gov report on Cooper's description, four months after the actual incident.

BS

26 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

The guy at Elsinore was the smoker of Raleighs, he didn't see the suspect smoking Raleigh's, he claims he only saw the coupons in the "suspect's" possession. He assumed the "suspect" smoked Raleigh's because he saw coupons only.

He recalled this after studying the Gov report on Cooper's description, four months after the actual incident.

BS

I agree with this assessment. And the reason why is because it is doubtful anyone would carry around the coupons. I knew a few coupon smokers back in the day. They always kept them in things like cigar boxes and the like, at home. One guy would rubber-band them together in packs of 50 or 100 coupons. There is no point to carrying them around. The general 'thing' would be to count your coupons from time to time and dream of items in the catalog. People spent so much time and effort collecting the coupons that it was almost a hobby, really. 

The cigarette companies made a bundle doing the coupon smokes. Most people never got around to buying anything from the catalog, but they bought and smoked a large amount of the company's products along the way. 

Suckers... ^.^

(edited)

DUDEMAN,,

Cossey claimed he modified the ripcord on the rig Cooper took.. not the one returned to Hayden. The ripcord for the Hayden chute we see is not modified.

It doesn't really make sense.. If both rigs were actually Hayden's why would Cossey modify one. Remember, Cossey also claimed it was his chute.

He said somewhere that the ripcord was a pull out and up or something like that, a double pull. I don't have that handy, might be in a video.

Also..

https://themountainnewswa.net/2013/05/04/update-on-the-murder-of-earl-cossey-an-analysis-of-his-role-in-the-db-cooper-case/

"Along those lines, Cossey has never explained why he modified a pilot’s emergency rig to make it more difficult to use.  Cossey had told me and many others that he had re-located the rip cord on the chute and had tucked the handle into a pouch under the right arm-pit, thus making the chute a “double-pull.”  This meant that Cooper would need two tugs on the rip cord to successfully deploy the rig – one out of the pouch and a second up and away to free the canopy."

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

I have never in my life seen so many people make so many simple things SO complicated, I swear.

Cossey said this, Cossey said THAT. 

Whatever...Cossey said a lot of shit, mostly to jack the media around for laughs. 

Four parachutes were delivered to Cooper. This is their nature and disposition. 

The MAIN, BACKPACK CHUTE not used by Cooper is a 'sport' model, now sitting on display in the WA State History Museum. You can plainly see the ripcord handle. 

The phony, non-working, whatever dummy trainer chute was tossed from the aircraft by Cooper, probably at the same time he tossed the briefcase and the (probably) empty paper bag. Sounds to me that among other things, Cooper had a pair of boots in that bag because he had no intention of jumping in the shoes he was wearing. Witness Bill Rattie, on a side note, claims that as a young US Army Reservist, he was called up for the search near Ariel and found one brown dress shoe that looked new, even though it had been raining in the search area, and he turned it in to an officer. Says it was found in a very heavily wooded area and looked out of place. The shoe was never heard about again. Neither was the dummy chute or the briefcase, although someone in the future may stumble upon them someday out there in the woods. You never know. 

The chute Cooper actually jumped with was the military chute (NB-6/8  backpack container). It has not been recovered unless you believe the FBI is hiding that fact via their ridiculous excuses regarding the Amboy parachute discovered in 2008. Funny how they kept calling it 'evidence in an ongoing case' five years after they dismissed it as evidence. 

The other reserve chute, the one popped for its paracord and left behind on the jet, is still in evidence with the FBI. This was the chute studied by Tom Kaye's Citizen Sleuths Team. When Cossey says one of the Cooper chutes belonged to him, that's the one that most likely does.

It has his name sewn onto it. I guess Linn Emerick at Sky Sports either called up Cossey and got permission to give it to the State Patrol for Cooper, or Emerick figured Cossey wouldn't mind and told him later. Hayden was smarter. He made NWA pay him a rental fee for his chutes. 

This isn't brain surgery.

It isn't even the PREP by the nurse for brain surgery where she shaves your damn head and splashes on the iodine. It is simplicity. 

You want to know whether Cossey was being truthful about the damn ripcord? Why don't you go to the people who were allowed to examine that particular chute by the FBI? The Sleuths. Here are some pictures. Maybe you can figure it all out on the ripcord by looking at them, or talking to Tom Kaye. 

*All Cooper chutes present or accounted for, sir.* 

EDIT: I told Greg the Techie Guy today to start gathering all the high-res images we have on this Cooper chute subject and forward them to me for printing. We're going to to do a display, and I will speaking on this subject at the Festival. (Assuming we actually go through with the whole thing, of course.) It's time to put this particular subject of the chutes to bed, and I WILL be calling out the Seattle FBI, (especially if the local media shows up) on their baloney regarding the Amboy chute.

I want answers.

We have a lot of files on the subject of the Amboy chute, scores of them. And all of them add up to the same thing: Either the Seattle FBI botched the whole investigation into the Amboy chute, or they are hiding the fact that the chute IS the one Cooper jumped with, placed that chute into evidence, but refused to admit the reason they did. 

You understand, of course...that if the FBI were forced to admit the canopy was a match for Cooper's...and it was found WITHOUT its container and harness...(not found)...that they would also have to admit that Cooper made it to the ground and lived. And between the time of the money find on Tina Bar, and the discovery of the chute about 28 years later...they had been saying they were sure Cooper died in the jump. They would have to retract all that, which could be embarrassing for them. 

Food for thought. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
22 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

DUDEMAN,,

Cossey claimed he modified the ripcord on the rig Cooper took.. not the one returned to Hayden. The ripcord for the Hayden chute we see is not modified.

It doesn't really make sense.. If both rigs were actually Hayden's why would Cossey modify one. Remember, Cossey also claimed it was his chute.

He said somewhere that the ripcord was a pull out and up or something like that, a double pull. I don't have that handy, might be in a video.

Also..

https://themountainnewswa.net/2013/05/04/update-on-the-murder-of-earl-cossey-an-analysis-of-his-role-in-the-db-cooper-case/

"Along those lines, Cossey has never explained why he modified a pilot’s emergency rig to make it more difficult to use.  Cossey had told me and many others that he had re-located the rip cord on the chute and had tucked the handle into a pouch under the right arm-pit, thus making the chute a “double-pull.”  This meant that Cooper would need two tugs on the rip cord to successfully deploy the rig – one out of the pouch and a second up and away to free the canopy."

Part of my original error was seeing the location of Hayden's ripcord and thinking that it had been modified. If Cossey's statements about a modified ripcord pertained to his own rig, then so be it.

In general theory, it would be possible, and not all that unusual, for a customer to ask his rigger for such a modification. Body type combined with the confines of his particular cockpit, and personal preference, might warrant a ripcord mod. Such a mod would have to be performed by a rigger to be legal.

It sounds like Cossey made a lot of questionable, conflicting statements. It sounds like he didn't take a lot of people too seriously, and perhaps made off statements to jerk peoples' chains. It seems clear that the FBI got two back rigs from Hayden. It seems less clear, but possible, whether they got any from Cossey, and if so, which ones were actually given to Cooper.

A modified ripcord location making for a difficult pull doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Most harnesses are of pretty similar construction. Ripcord handles are generally on the main lift web, that's the part of the harness that goes over your shoulder, down past your ribs, and into the hip juncture. Not really an alternative option for that, just higher or lower. They are all in a pocket, that's what holds them in place. Those pockets were elastic, at some point they became velcro-closed. Most ripcord housings go over the shoulder, and the ripcord is best pulled in a downward fashion. Not many, but some housings come from lower on the side, from about the bottom of your ribs, and the ripcord would be better pulled in an upwards direction. An experienced jumper would note the difference. Someone with no experience wouldn't KNOW the difference. In either case, the user would just note how it is and pull accordingly.

Edited by dudeman17

42 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Part of my original error was seeing the location of Hayden's ripcord and thinking that it had been modified. If Cossey's statements about a modified ripcord pertained to his own rig, then so be it.

In general theory, it would be possible, and not all that unusual, for a customer to ask his rigger for such a modification. Body type combined with the confines of his particular cockpit, and personal preference, might warrant a ripcord mod. Such a mod would have to be performed by a rigger to be legal.

It sounds like Cossey made a lot of questionable, conflicting statements. It sounds like he didn't take a lot of people too seriously, and perhaps made off statements to jerk peoples' chains. It seems clear that the FBI got two back rigs from Hayden. It seems less clear, but possible, whether they got any from Cossey, and if so, which ones were actually given to Cooper.

A modified ripcord location making for a difficult pull doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Most harnesses are of pretty similar construction. Ripcord handles are generally on the main lift web, that's the part of the harness that goes over your shoulder, down past your ribs, and into the hip juncture. Not really an alternative option for that, just higher or lower. They are all in a pocket, that's what holds them in place. Those pockets were elastic, at some point they became velcro-closed. Most ripcord housings go over the shoulder, and the ripcord is best pulled in a downward fashion. Not many, but some housings come from lower on the side, from about the bottom of your ribs, and the ripcord would be better pulled in an upwards direction. An experienced jumper would note the difference. Someone with no experience wouldn't KNOW the difference. In either case, the user would just note how it is and pull accordingly.

More context,,,

Hayden claimed both his chutes packed by Cossey May 21/71 were "identical".

The FBI describes them as very different and cites Hayden as the source,,, Hayden claimed he never talked to the FBI and didn't agree with the descriptions. Hayden has no knowledge of the chutes after they were sent by cab.

Cossey and Hayden both claim they didn't know each other. Hayden probably just ordered two back emergency rigs.

So, Cossey on Nov 26 is recalling two chutes he made for "somebody unknown" 6 months earlier.

Cossey is using recall. He was informed of the chute left behind and assumed he knew the rig Cooper took. He assumed that chute's identity by elimination.

One possibility is Cossey recalling the wrong rig... or Cossey did supply his own rig for the hijacking.

It doesn't make sense that Cossey would sell two emergency chutes with one having a modified ripcord.

If Cossey has the wrong chute in his mind then all the chutes he rejected are back in play. It doesn't help that Cossey was a joker and embellisher. 

That is why it is important to figure out which chute Cooper actually used.

The chute left on the plane was unopened and we have those conflicting serial numbers/dates...

2 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

and we have those conflicting serial numbers

You listed those two sets of numbers as indicating two different rigs. Did you see the conversation 'over there' not long ago, and can you log in to see posted documents? Shutter posted a document describing the rig left on the plane. It listed the '226' set of numbers as that rig, and listed the "60-XXXX' numbers as pertaining to that 'other canopy' in the same rig, the 'integral part' of it, that I surmise must be the pilot chute. If that document is correct, then it would appear that the rig Hayden got back might well be the one left on the plane. It will be interesting if/when the museum lets a rigger open that rig, and see if those numbers are indeed the pilot chute.

2 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

You listed those two sets of numbers as indicating two different rigs. Did you see the conversation 'over there' not long ago, and can you log in to see posted documents? Shutter posted a document describing the rig left on the plane. It listed the '226' set of numbers as that rig, and listed the "60-XXXX' numbers as pertaining to that 'other canopy' in the same rig, the 'integral part' of it, that I surmise must be the pilot chute. If that document is correct, then it would appear that the rig Hayden got back might well be the one left on the plane. It will be interesting if/when the museum lets a rigger open that rig, and see if those numbers are indeed the pilot chute.

Yes, I know that document, it isn't clear.

It is still possible, but other documents say the numbers/date were from the packing card. That could be an error.

The other problem is the chute was found unopened intact. They were given to the FBI sealed.

They would have had to break the seal, open it and record the number from the pilot chute. Would they even do that?

Hayden got the chute back in 1975 and it wasn't repacked until 1982,, if they opened it, broke the seal to look at the pilot chute wouldn't it have been repacked earlier.

The chute numbers are only one mystery, there are still conflicts that don't add up. 

If Cooper did take Hayden's other chute why did Cossey and the FBI describe it so differently from Hayden? Wouldn't they be looking for the wrong chute.

There may be several errors at play here..

dbc-parachutes-hayden-rigging-card-cossey-signature-3.thumb.jpg.43ab4dbf69d43827eb69a73a9946f224.jpg

(edited)

When I questioned Hayden about his chutes, I could tell he didn't know much about parachutes in general, and only wore one when flying because the FAA told him he HAD to wear one for his type of flying. He never liked them, didn't trust them, and couldn't envision too many scenarios where he would actually jump from his own plane. He knew how to deploy one, but never trained or any of that. 

Not said, but I got the idea that he also had some concerns about accidentally killing people on the ground, and that was one reason why he would (probably) never jump anyway. He was definitely a go-down-with-the-aircraft-and-hope-for-the-best kind of guy. 

I did learn something today. I asked Tom Kaye why the ripcord on the pink parachute, (reserve that Cooper deployed for the paracord) was separated from the backpack and just lying loose in the pictures at Citizen Sleuths. He did not know, and neither did I. I tried to find out.

Turns out I did not know that you toss away the ripcord handle after you deploy. (?) I always thought they had a stop or something. Then I did some research on ripcord stops and found out some people tried using them in the 60's and some people got their teeth knocked out by them when they flapped around after deployment. 

And then the USPA banned them anyway. So I guess any rigger has to replace the handle and cable on a repack. (?)

I guess...B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Key dates for the Festival have been established by the Planning Committee today. Here they are:

April 15, 2021 - Press release sent out to the usual media outlets in the Puget Sound area. 

May 2 - Last day to apply to attend, if showing up in person. (Remember that proof you have received the two-shot series of any recognized Covid-19 vaccine is absolutely required to attend, and you must be registered with AB of Seattle in advance to attend, or you will be turned away.)

May 10 - Last day to submit Cooper-related media (video, slideshow, audio presentation, etc) if you will NOT be attending. If you ARE attending, you can bring this material with you when you show up. We reserve the right to discuss this media with you and possibly preview it before it will be presented at the Festival. 

May 12 - The two pages at AB of Seattle, THIS one and THAT one, will be taken down. 

May 12 - The video on the Festival, the one where I sit in the office and talk about it, will be deleted from YouTube. 

May 13 - The PDF/Word doc with the maps, contact information (radio frequencies we monitor and a cell number), guest speaker list, gear suggestions, minor rules, and all other necessary information will be sent out by email to everyone on the confirmed public list, as well as anyone on the private list who has indicated they will be attending. 

May 15 - Final order(s) from Amazon for any remaining necessary gear and non-food supplies will be made, to ensure delivery in time for the Festival. 

June 6 - Shopping trip to Costco for the BBQ food (frozen) and any other supplies we can't obtain through Amazon. Extra propane tanks will be purchased through Fred Meyer. 

June 8 - Final meeting of the Planning Committee members who will assist in transporting all gear and food to the site location. At this time, these items will be distributed among those members. 

June 9 - Committee members transporting the gear and food, etc will meet in the morning and go to the main site to begin setup. One person will be monitoring the phone, as well as the radios. 

June 11 - We will begin allowing people to show up and pick their sites at 6AM. Anyone showing up before that time will be asked to assist on setup. There will be plenty to do. 

June 11- 13 - Event runs from Friday morning through Sunday morning. Then we pack it up and go home. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Minor corrections

On 8/30/2008 at 2:55 AM, Ckret said:

I found the film of the test drop, but we don't have anyway to play it. I have asked our in-house lab to try and locate an old projector. Once I find one I'll video tape it and put it up on google video.

This post is over 12 years old but ... does anyone know whether Ckret ever uploaded the film?

720106 sled test film frame.jpg

17 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Yes, I know that document, it isn't clear.

It is still possible, but other documents say the numbers/date were from the packing card. That could be an error.

The other problem is the chute was found unopened intact. They were given to the FBI sealed.

They would have had to break the seal, open it and record the number from the pilot chute. Would they even do that?

Hayden got the chute back in 1975 and it wasn't repacked until 1982,, if they opened it, broke the seal to look at the pilot chute wouldn't it have been repacked earlier.

The chute numbers are only one mystery, there are still conflicts that don't add up. 

There may be several errors at play here..

There are indeed a lot of conflicts...

--

If the rig on the plane was the one that Hayden got back, the pictures of the card show that the pilot chute (?) numbers are not on it. So the only way they would know those numbers is if they looked at it, which would require them to open the rig. Why would they do that? I dunno, but I can see the FBI tearing into anything they got their hands on. The seal is nothing more than a piece of thread wrapped around one of the ripcord pins and the closing loop (or cone) with a little lead dealybob showing the rigger's ID. It gets easily broken if the ripcord is pulled. Otherwise it's just there to show that the container has not been opened since the rigger closed it.

16 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

When I questioned Hayden about his chutes

Robert, a very specific question, if you know the answer...  Was the container open when Hayden got it back?

16 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I did learn something today. I asked Tom Kaye why the ripcord on the pink parachute, (reserve that Cooper deployed for the paracord) was separated from the backpack and just lying loose in the pictures at Citizen Sleuths. He did not know, and neither did I. I tried to find out.

Turns out I did not know that you toss away the ripcord handle after you deploy. (?) I always thought they had a stop or something. Then I did some research on ripcord stops and found out some people tried using them in the 60's and some people got their teeth knocked out by them when they flapped around after deployment. 

And then the USPA banned them anyway. So I guess any rigger has to replace the handle and cable on a repack. (?)

Yes, when you pull a ripcord it is separate from the rig. Back when mains were ripcord operated, you would keep it (stuff it down your jumpsuit), unless you had a malfunction, then you would toss it to free your hands to perform emergency procedures. These days mains use hand deployed pilot chutes, so there is nothing to hang on to. But reserve ripcords (and these days cutaway handles)... Students are taught to toss them so their hands are free to deal with the reserve opening and get control of it. Experienced jumpers will usually keep them. As for ripcord stops... Having the ripcord smack you in the face would be the least of your concerns. Anything trailing you during a (reserve) deployment can have a nasty habit of snagging your (deploying) canopy. They did cause fatalities, which is why they were banned.

17 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

When I questioned Hayden about his chutes, I could tell he didn't know much about parachutes in general, and only wore one when flying because the FAA told him he HAD to wear one for his type of flying. He never liked them, didn't trust them, and couldn't envision too many scenarios where he would actually jump from his own plane.

I have a comical image in my mind of a pilot, with a rig on, strapped to nothing but a seat, in freefall, screaming "I CAN LAND THIS!!!"

(edited)
2 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

There are indeed a lot of conflicts...

--

If the rig on the plane was the one that Hayden got back, the pictures of the card show that the pilot chute (?) numbers are not on it. So the only way they would know those numbers is if they looked at it, which would require them to open the rig. Why would they do that? I dunno, but I can see the FBI tearing into anything they got their hands on. The seal is nothing more than a piece of thread wrapped around one of the ripcord pins and the closing loop (or cone) with a little lead dealybob showing the rigger's ID. It gets easily broken if the ripcord is pulled. Otherwise it's just there to show that the container has not been opened since the rigger closed it.

If they broke the seal and opened it up,, would it need to be repacked by an authorized rigger?

Hayden got it back in 1975, repacked in 1982,,, Cossey packed it in 1971 applied his seal.

What were the packing regs??

Edited by FLYJACK

early 70’s Bourbon nation's top hard liquor

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/254107297/

"MUNCIE EVENING PRESS, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 1974 Vodka replaces bourbon as nation's favorite booze; lightness, mixability with flavors credited By RICHARD HUGHES NEW YORK (UPI) - Belly up to the bar, boys, and have a belt of vodka and orange juice. Vodka and orange juice? 'Fraid so. Vodka has just replaced bourbon as the nation's favorite hard alcoholic drink."

'Robert, a very specific question, if you know the answer...  Was the container open when Hayden got it back?'

No. I think he had it repacked later just for 'looks' more or less. Although I wondered what he was using for the chute requirement during this time, since I have to assume he was still flying. I guess I should have discussed some things with him that I missed. Mostly I was concentrating on getting the straight deal from him whether the chute report submitted by FBI agent John Detlor was correct. He said that's exactly the way it happened. I retyped the document into larger 14-point font, a nice looking font, and saved it at 600 dpi. Sent him the file. He printed it up and put it in a frame in his office. 

16 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

early 70’s Bourbon nation's top hard liquor

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/254107297/

"MUNCIE EVENING PRESS, THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 1974 Vodka replaces bourbon as nation's favorite booze; lightness, mixability with flavors credited By RICHARD HUGHES NEW YORK (UPI) - Belly up to the bar, boys, and have a belt of vodka and orange juice. Vodka and orange juice? 'Fraid so. Vodka has just replaced bourbon as the nation's favorite hard alcoholic drink."

This may have been true back in the early 70's. I remember during that time that suddenly 'Harvey Wallbangers' and drinks like Vodka Collins and the like became very popular among the club crowd. It's no longer in existence, but there used to be a big club in Phoenix called Snoopy's, and practically everyone had a clear drink. The dance floor was the size of an average school gym, with four-to-six person tables with chairs laid out around the outside in a half-circle. Hundreds of people showed up to dance on weekends. It was Party Station Galore back then. 

One reason vodka drinks suddenly became popular was that frankly...you could drink a lot and not smell like whiskey, which most girls found unpleasant. Especially if you were out there trying to pick them up for a sex date later in the evening. 

This was all pre-AIDS, of course. One of the popular questions back then, once you got past first base with a girl, was:

"Are you on The Pill?" ^_^ History won't tell you this stuff. History says "What's your sign?" was much more popular. Not true. 

19 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

If they broke the seal and opened it up,, would it need to be repacked by an authorized rigger?

Hayden got it back in 1975, repacked in 1982,,, Cossey packed it in 1971 applied his seal.

What were the packing regs??

17 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

No. I think he had it repacked later just for 'looks' more or less. Although I wondered what he was using for the chute requirement during this time, since I have to assume he was still flying.

Yes it would need to be repacked by a rigger to be legal. In the 80's the repack cycle was 120 days, in the late 60's - early 70's it might have been 90 days. (They have to be inspected and repacked whether they're used or not to be 'in date'.)

It was a few years before he got it back, I would imagine that he had replaced the rigs to keep flying. They weren't really all that expensive, especially for a guy with his own mfg. company who flies aerobatics for fun.

For Cossey to have packed Hayden's rigs despite their never having met might not be that odd. Hayden might have just had his flight service people handle that for him. (The people who took care of his airplane.)

When Haden did get it back... It might not be that odd that he didn't get it packed for a while. Whether it was opened or packed, he might have just put it in a closet until he figured out what he wanted to do with it. He probably already had other ones to fly with. And this rig was part of a notorious world famous caper, so he probably didn't want to use it and risk damaging it. So the question might not be why did it take so long to get it packed, but why did he get it packed twice? When did he donate it to the museum? If that was around '86, the date of the second repack, maybe the museum wanted it opened and repacked, just so they knew exactly what they were getting?

(edited)

Dudeman says in part: 

'For Cossey to have packed Hayden's rigs despite their never having met might not be that odd. Hayden might have just had his flight service people handle that for him. (The people who took care of his airplane.)'

Hayden said that when he bought the chutes, he knew they would have to get repacked. This, he said, was handled by the store he purchased them from, a place near Boeing Field that sold used chutes. The store sent them out and Hayden picked them up when they came back from Sky Sports. 

On a side note, the snow is coming to Seattle. It more often happens in windstorms here than in snow events, but sometimes the power goes out for a while. So I went to Fred Meyers and picked up four of the Blue Rhino propane tanks to supplement the two we have now. Also the usual shopping so I won't have to go out. The propane is for our dual-fuel generator, in case the power goes. The extra tanks we will use at the Festival, of course. I have two of the larger tanks coming later, the 7 1/2 gallon size I think. So between the six 'regular' tanks and the two large ones, we should have enough to power the generator at the Festival for everything we need. But for now...it's just in case the power goes out. 

By the way, I highly recommend this generator. It's much easier to store propane for emergencies than it is to stack up gas cans in your garage. Plus when you burn propane, there isn't any exhaust you can see. You will lose about 10% of the available power from the generator though, since propane has less BTU's than gasoline...but it's a good tradeoff. The one I bought a short while back is below. It's listed at $599, but I got one on sale at $515 plus free shipping. A good investment. A normal size propane tank will give you about 5,000 watts (ten percent drop from 5,500) for around 8-10 hours, depending on the load you put on it. They also toss in all the connections for the propane and a tool kit. Comes with a solid battery and the wheel/handle kit, too. Runs at 67db sound level, which is pretty quiet for a generator. I built a vented 'sound box' with a handle on top. You lay it completely over the generator, has a suitcase-type handle on top. Hardly any sound at all. 

DualFuelGen.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
On 6/13/2008 at 3:42 PM, Ckret said:

Back to the NB6, Cossey modified the chute, we know that from the 28' canopy. And when we spoke he said he placed the handle under the right armpit. The motion he showed me was that Cooper would have had to hook his right thumb in the handle and push straight out, like a bench press motion. Once fully extended, he would have had to rotate his fully extended arm up over his head.

Does this make sense? or did he just demonstrate right handed and he really meant left?

Here, Cossey told agent Carr that he had modified the chute...

Does this make any sense,,, that Cossey would modify one of two chutes sent to him to pack for somebody he doesn't know.

Carr also posted...

Ckret

Sluggo, 

The NB6 and the Pioneer were Cossey's chutes, he had them at his house, they weren't at Seattle Skysports. I asked Cossey why he packed a 28 foot canopy in the NB6 and he just shrugged. Kind of like, "it was my chute, I did it because I can." I like that guy, I could have talked to him all day but he grew tired of me in about an hour.

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

(edited)

'The NB6 and the Pioneer were Cossey's chutes, he had them at his house, they weren't at Seattle Skysports. I asked Cossey why he packed a 28 foot canopy in the NB6 and he just shrugged. Kind of like, "it was my chute, I did it because I can." I like that guy, I could have talked to him all day but he grew tired of me in about an hour...'

Okay...now this stuff you are reading above ^^^^^^ is in DIRECT conflict with an official report submitted by Agent Detlor just days after the hijacking. And on several levels, too. In fact, when I saw this statement by Ckret, the first thing I thought was WTF is THIS? 

Here are a few quick points. 

Neither of those chutes belonged to Earl Cossey. He DID own the so-called 'pink parachute', though. The one Cooper popped for the paracord, but the Pioneer and the NB6/8 definitely belonged to Norman Hayden. 

No one drove all the way out to Woodinville to Cossey's house to pick up parachutes. The Washington State Patrol says they were assigned this task and got them from Sky Sports via Linn Emerick. Why would the WSP be assigned this task? Because they are the same guys who also had to pick up the money from downtown Seattle from SeaFirst Bank.

Is Larry Carr serious, or what? Where the hell does he get his information from? Did he even read the damn FBI files (UN-redacted by the way) when he was assigned the Cooper case for a bit? Does he even KNOW the Pioneer was returned not to Cossey, but to its owner...Norm Hayden? Does he wonder why the Pioneer was returned to Hayden and not Cossey? Well, gee. Let me send a letter to the FBI and tell them the pink parachute is actually MINE and maybe they will have two agents meet me and hand it over. ^.^ Geez, Louise!

My view on Carr's work, and his accuracy in dealing with the case just dropped twenty points, and I'm considering selling off my remaining stock. 

You can bet we will be dealing with some of these issues come June. I give you my absolute word on it.
Now I'm getting pissed. B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins
WSP, not 'WSH'