18 18
quade

DB Cooper

14 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

and the Vortex never lets you leave..

This sounds like the Cinebar part,,  identified and rejected by the FBI.

But it is dated 1973, the other doc is dated 1975,

Either the FBI filed it twice, the Boeing employee submitted it twice (a hoax?) or two parts were found.. (neither from NORJAK) 

727partfound1.jpeg.ed882e9235e4a8670bd8a5369fec4517.jpeg

727partfound.jpeg.0e2ad92c52677de8bf27ba0d617068ef.jpeg

Looks like it the same part... metal step assembly part intact, NOT NORJAK

stepplatemetalintact.jpeg.00b3459c353272a1aa33cdfdea65089d.jpeg

(edited)

Cooper opened the stairs at 8 PM,,, that was after the plane passed Cinebar.

Shutter corrected me, first light noted on at 7:42

The 727 has an airstairs unlocked light, we don't know what the door opening was.

IMPORTANT- 
A RED LIGHT INDICATES AIRSTAIRS OPEN BUT NOT LOCKED UP OR DOWN. 
AN AMBER LIGHT INDICATES AIRSTAIR LEVER IN RAISING POSITION. 
A GREEN LIGHT INDICATED DOWN AND LOCKED

stairlight.jpeg.938b164c26882594cb9caf3758b22c6e.jpeg

stairslowered8PM.jpeg.7b280de46448bf9f386c9aac1ca2fe32.jpeg

Here are docs about the damage to the plane. They had the damage reports.

"Minor damage to panels" The side skirts

NOTE, There was no damage reported for the activation of the "emergency release"..  it wasn't pulled.

planedamage.jpeg.1b6404c3981b07cee2f835d84d75b590.jpeg

norjakdamage.jpeg.d208130cbdd0ff5835c99a0e22f83b63.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

An 8:11 PM jump time does support Flyjack's theory on where Cooper may have landed, and how he made his escape from the area. 

On a side note, it also supports the theory that the parachute found between Green and Bald Mountains near Amboy may actually belong to Cooper. I won't go into all the details again regarding that, but it's in the same area and makes sense especially if the winds at the time Cooper jumped blew him somewhat east of the spot where he departed the jet. 

AmboyAndOtherItems.jpg.47efc9df074788ac3e2ccff153ea95e6.jpg

This is an approximate map, of course. But if you compare it to the FBI's flight path map, it's pretty close to reality. Sometimes I've wondered if Cooper packed a WA state map along with him, maybe even a compass. The area between Ariel and Amboy has been put forward as some huge, dangerous wilderness with towering mountains etc. The REALITY is that this area is mostly rolling farmland with wooded areas and the mountains are not that high, and more like gentle hilly terrain. There are also roads aplenty and many small hamlets and villages....EVEN IN 1971. 

And finding your way through this area is not that tough. You look one way...you can see the Cascade chain. That's EAST. The other way leads WEST back to the Interstate 5 freeway. This also tells you which way is north and south. All the country roads have signs at all the intersections, and most country stores and small gas stations had phones. (Not today, of course. But in 1971 pay phones were virtually everywhere.)

Somewhere south of Ariel, a report was made about a break-in that same night, too. That has been documented in the FBI files. The thief stole cigarettes, beef jerky, gloves, and perhaps a few other items I can't recall at the moment. Who the hell breaks into a country store the night before Thanksgiving, or early Thanksgiving morning before dawn? It seems unlikely unless you are desperate. Another consideration is that although this particular store didn't have anyone living upstairs, or in the back...many of them did have the owners on-site, using it as their home as well. And trying that one out in the country in WA state is an invitation to getting yourself blasted with a shotgun. If you combine this break in with the landing zone nearby, as well as the buried parachute in the same area...it isn't much of a stretch to imagine Cooper was responsible for all that. It's too bad no one at the FBI asked WHAT BRAND of cigarettes were actually stolen. It's not in the report by the FBI. If it had said 'Raleighs,' this would almost be a slam-dunk that Cooper was responsible. 

You also have to look at the items that were stolen. Road food you don't have to cook or open with a can opener. Cigarettes. GLOVES. The person was hungry and cold and wanted a smoke. These are not items you are planning to take home and enjoy THERE. If that were the case, the thief would have loaded up on cartons of cigarettes and all the expensive items he could find. Maybe even some sporting goods for resale. But all the items were grab, go, move on type of things. 

This narrows it down to two possible types of thief. Someone on the run, or someone on the road. Or both. 

My scenario, simply put, goes like THIS:

• Cooper jumps. Cooper lands. 

• Rather than dragging the chute around in the light rain, he finds a place reasonably close by, disconnects the container and harness from the chute, and buries the chute. He moves on with the money bag (for now) and then in some place not far from where he buries the chute...he rids himself of the harness as well. 

• At this point he transfers the cash to the chute container, disposes of the bank bank, puts the container over his shoulders like a backpack, and starts heading in a direction he thinks looks good. REMEMBER: Cooper does not realize that the indicator light on the Flight Engineer's control panel has flashed OFF...and then back ON for good...telling the crew exactly where he jumped. He may believe he is pretty safe as long as no one sees him moving along at night. 

• He may have a map with him. There's no way to tell, but if he does, any good road map will show you where the RR tracks are...one of the best and safest ways to move through a country-type area without actually walking down the road, something Cooper almost certainly would have avoided. Unless he was a complete idiot, he HAS to know every cop is on the lookout for him. 

• He sees the store mentioned by Flyjack as he passes by on the RR tracks heading south. He 'scopes' it out for a bit and then risks a quick break-in. Fortunately, there is no alarm and no one actually lives at the store. 

• *MOST* country stores in 1971 had phone booths outside the store. It is possible that Cooper made a phone call from the store, prior to the break-in, once he found out approximately where he was. He *may* have arranged a pick-up based on that phone call, but we don't really know. However...we DO know that even though every cop around and the FBI were searching for him...and came up empty...lends *some* credence to the theory that Cooper may have moved to an agreed-upon location elsewhere...BEFORE DAYLIGHT...hidden himself, and simply waited for an accomplice to pick him up. 

• I hesitate to put my personal opinion on this theory, but I would have it done it the same way. Depending on yourself to successfully hike miles out of an area and somehow escape the BOLO ('be on the lookout') that was in full force by the next morning...packing $200,000 in cash...seems unlikely. He probably would have been picked up by police, or at least reported to police by locals...before he even reached Portland. Especially if he was still wearing a suit. In other words....someone helped him somewhere along the line after he landed. You have to remember that the Cooper hijacking was HUGE on local TV, with massive coverage on radio as well, from the moment the jet was preparing to land at SeaTac Airport. People were literally glued to their TV sets and radios for hours. Walter Cronkite was even in on the act, someone millions of Americans watched each evening. 

uE2rJMI.jpg

EDIT: If you are thinking about buying anything DB Cooper-related as Christmas gifts, or for yourself, they all live HERE AT ETSY.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 10/21/2020 at 1:40 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

I told DZ this or that. True enough.

Not true 'enough'. TRUE.  It's the whole point.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:40 AM, RobertMBlevins said:

I am a two-way street kind of guy. 

Well, in one direction you were given the contact because you said you'd relay the information. So where's the other direction? Are you a man of your word or not?

--------------

A bit of detail for you. The harness and container do not separate. They are sewn together as a unit. Plus, he needs the harness to put it over his shoulders like a backpack. If he wanted to make it look a bit less like a parachute, I suppose he could cut the leg straps off with his knife.

(edited)
19 minutes ago, dudeman17 said:

Not true 'enough'. TRUE.  It's the whole point.

Well, in one direction you were given the contact because you said you'd relay the information. So where's the other direction? Are you a man of your word or not?

--------------

A bit of detail for you. The harness and container do not separate. They are sewn together as a unit. Plus, he needs the harness to put it over his shoulders like a backpack. If he wanted to make it look a bit less like a parachute, I suppose he could cut the leg straps off with his knife.

Well that explains why it wasn't found with the buried parachute. 

As far as those other things you mentioned, that's a dead issue. Once you hooked up with the Shutter folks, and ever since...not a peep from you on all the negativity they have supported...well, you can see where this is going. None of those things will be released publicly. It would only generate more controversy, and they would tell me I'm a liar about it all anyway. They do this on practically everything. The remainder of the time they hide under phony identities and dump their garbage at Bruce's house. I no longer feed into that. Remember: Anything I post here regarding this or that also ends up at Shutter's place, as well as his third-biggest contributor, Bruce. This is a public site where they all lurk, but rarely have courage to show up personally. They are cowards. 

Anything I have to say about all of that will appear (if I decide to do it) in my autobiography, Cooperland. It's nearly finished now. It's in the editing stage. No more feeding the cowardly trolls...and watching them post up their garbage elsewhere on a site I do not have the right to at least put up a personal defense. Not a chance in hell. 

The less you feed the trolls who lurk around here waiting for the slightest new bit of info from me to leap upon...the better off I am personally. There are two truths here. They are still doing it, and when not doing THAT, are members of Shutter's place under their real personas. I even suspect one of them is actually Bruce using a false identity. 

Don't feed the trolls. Like it or not, even fair or not...I judge people by the company they keep...and what comes out of their mouths. Or their keyboards, as the case may be. Even if I were to make the information public that you seek, I certainly wouldn't do it at Dropzone. I would do it at the Quora Space on Cooper, or with an article at WordPress. At the time you wanted me to do these things, we considered that I might send you what I obtained in an email or PM. But now that you hang with the Peanut Gallery folks....I wouldn't even do that. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

The airstair light comes on when the lever is moved from the detent position, not when the stairs actually move..

If Cooper moved the lever from its detent but didn't push the button the stairs would not have lowered.. and light would have come on.

This suggest that Cooper got the stairs down about 8PM.

That would reconcile a light on at 7:42 and this document.

stairslowered8PM.jpeg.45db2e8ce99179f85d3cc7cb82f7af22.jpeg

I noticed the interior ceiling panel is hanging down in this image.

That might have been a result of the plane search but  ??

norjakceilingpanel.jpeg.a5097de38e9e9b89c34c795eb3e00b77.jpeg

planesearch.jpeg.1773a5cdd775501d1d1808f81424d3d7.jpeg

ceiling panel from another 727

p1010591_orig.jpg.f0b6c1be89ffdec1ffb354502503476b.jpg

norjakshredpanels.jpeg.94dc15a29bb4ec4c97c51aa71d946f7c.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

The early 727-100's had a button on top of the airstair lever. The unlock light came on when the lever was moved from its detent, not when the stairs actually dropped. Another light came on when the lever was in the down detent.

Tina was in the cockpit for the 7:42 light, she said a red light, it is actually amber but close enough.

The crew indicated around 8:00 Cooper got the stairs down. They refer to a light indicating stairs lowered...

It may be, and this is speculation, that there were two different lights noted.

The first light may have been the movement of the lever out of the detent, but not the lowering of the stairs.. if Cooper did not push the button he may may not have been able to get the lever to the full open detent. That may be where Cooper struggled.

We need to know more about the precise real world operation of the stair lever and the lights.

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Flyjack: You should message 377 about this drift stuff. I'm certainly no skydiver, but he has extensive experience and has had some opinions on the amount of drift possible for Cooper. And it was a lot less than five miles in any direction. He has said that. You should consult with him. 

Sometimes I get the idea that different people actually figured out pieces to the puzzle, but those pieces sit on a table and no one has assembled them into a coherent picture yet. 

You, for example, most likely proved that the placard did not come from Flight 305, and in fact could have ripped away from any one of the many flights that used that particular air route out of Seattle. In fact, it was your work on this issue that finally made me decide that hosting a four-day ground search in the area the placard was discovered was probably a waste of time. And I had at least six people, most of them owners of metal detectors, who were hot and ready to go with that idea. (I posted up a request on a local forum for treasure hunters, that's how I got volunteers, including a nice kid out of Vancouver who was disappointed when we canceled.) But I figured you might be right and didn't want to be traipsing for days out there in the woods for nothing. 

LOL...in fact...I still have a metal detector and a pinpointer I bought from Amazon that still sits in my closet today. The only time I actually used it was in my yard on some tests to make sure it worked. 

The piece of the puzzle I think I may contribute to all this is regarding the Amboy parachute. Frankly, I think the FBI is holding back information about it, and their quick, sudden dismissal of it was not based on the idea that it WASN'T Cooper's, but that it probably WAS. I spoke not once, but twice, on the phone with the FBI about it, plus the messages. Plus the idea I was downloading and studying every news article I could find about it. And when I put all of that together, their 'dismissal' and later statements of 'it's evidence in an ongoing case' years down the road did not make any sense. 

Now I put all that together in an article for WordPress, and showed why I thought the FBI did a quick whitewash on the whole thing and then buried the story. Probably needs an update, but I thought I gave some pretty good reasons for my views on the chute. I won't rewrite the article here, but it wasn't even a couple of days between the time the FBI said, "It was found in the right place, it's the right size, the right color..." and when they dismissed it. Of course, I found out pretty quick that the ONLY person outside of the Seattle FBI to see the chute in person was Earl Cossey. These 'experts' the FBI claimed were consulted? They were consulted only by telephone. The Seattle FBI actually admitted that to me. They also said on a Wednesday that the chute was going to be kicked upstairs to their local lab the next day....but instead was stuffed into the trunk of a government car and dumped for examination in Cossey's driveway, where he promptly dismissed it. 

Then a couple of days later...the FBI also dismisses it with the media without giving one specific reason for doing that, and have refused to answer questions about it since. I think the whole thing stinks to high heaven, if you ask me. 

EDIT: I dropped by the Mountain News this morning, (Bruce Smith's news blog) and saw that Bruce had issued a warning to the Peanut Gallery folks telling them they would be banned if they didn't stop coming with the Trash Blevins postings. I have no idea whether he's serious or not. He's still pretty upset with what happened at the last Ariel Party in 2016, but that is not my fault.

And yes...it is TRUE that when Meyer Louie and I tried to contact him at his house we WERE concerned for his welfare. It's forty damn miles to his house from Auburn, where I live, and Meyer Louie didn't call me on the phone until after 6PM on a work night. Not like I wanted to drive all the way up there, meet Meyer, and have him lead me to Bruce's place. 

And by the time we get there it's dark, with dogs barking etc. LOL I told Meyer to leave the bat in his truck, you know. I just brought a flashlight with me. Yes, we probably scared the crap out of the old couple who own the property Bruce rents to park his trailer, but we didn't mean to scare them. Found out from the old couple that the cops had been by just the day before to do a welfare check on Bruce. But this does prove we weren't the only ones worried about him. Looking back, I should have refused Meyer's request for me to go with him, and we should have gone up there during the DAY instead. 

There have been problems on BOTH sides of the fence regarding Bruce and myself. Some of it started back in 2011 when some idiot made a death threat to the Auburn City Hall regarding my first-ever presentation on Kenny Christiansen at the Auburn Ave Theater...

24810auburnAUBdbcooperauthor1081911.jpg.4c34133ba5834b20ce49519768b15968.jpg

When that happened, I was relatively new to Cooperland and knew few of the people in that community. The festival director asks me who could have done such a thing. I mean she was PISSED OFF and Connie being pissed off is not a happy thing I assure you. "Do you have ANY idea who would have done that?" she asked me at a committee meeting. "The only DB Cooper person I know who lives around here is Bruce Smith," I said. So now the cops want a picture, and they assigned one cop to the theater for security. He was a guy whose family had once owned the theater. If Bruce shows up, the cop will ask him privately if he made the phone call. If Bruce says no, then he can come in no problem. That was the extent of it. I did a private investigation of the matter later and was able to determine the call did NOT come from WA state, but that was it. I have my suspicions on who actually made the call, but that's all they are...suspicions. And it wasn't Bruce. (I was told that the call originated from an out-of-state pay phone, but that's all they would, or COULD, tell me.) The area code was how I pinpointed who probably did it, but all these years later the point is definitely moot. 

There have been some famous back-and-forths between Bruce and myself over the years, but none of it did any good for anyone. I ask the Portland Yacht Club to send a warning to Eric U that scheduled speakers should not venture opinions on Kenny Christiansen being a child rapist without any proof. (I linked them to some comments where some of the same people who were scheduled to speak were saying these things.) They respond by canceling the venue, and then Bruce comes pounding on my door the next morning while I'm out camping in the Olympics. Then he posts and encourages negative postings regarding Gayla Prociv. He tells a story about what happened at the Ariel party, (he said I assaulted him) and I publish the article at WordPress saying what actually happened. (Heard he was at the party, but Bryan Woodruff wouldn't let him in, and I never saw him myself.)

On the other hand, I am not perfect either. I probably should have laid off on the comments regarding his belief in Ramtha and all that. I guess everyone has a right to believe what they want. 

It's just too bad that this whole thing went to the level it did. Bruce and I are pretty much the only Cooper folks still involved in the case here in WA with the possible exception of Galen Cook. What I finally did was to stop making offers to Bruce, and I quit sending him messages months ago. That was probably the best thing to do for everyone. I figure if Bruce ever wants to get hold of me, he knows where I am and how to do it. Until then, I will leave things as they are. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
1 hour ago, FLYJACK said:

Robert, 

You have said the airstair light flashed..

Where is that info from?

Co-pilot Bill Rataczak? *I think*. San Francisco Chronicle article, mid-90's. Same article where Rataczak admits HE wanted to fly out over the ocean and let Cooper jump there. 

Not exactly 'flashed' as in instantly. Story was that the indicator light came on when Cooper first opened the door. But when Cooper jumped, the stairs rebounded back up...and the light flashed OFF for a moment. Then it comes back ON as the stairs settled back down...and stayed ON all the way to Reno. Rataczak compared the whole thing to jumping off a diving board in the article. 

I can't find the Chronicle article at the moment, although I probably can if I look hard enough. In the meantime, here is an extensive 1996 article from the SF Gate that is quite revealing. The only part they got wrong was saying Cooper scooped up the cigarette butts, which he did not do. 

Chronicle costs money to view archives I see. Well...here's a slightly different version of the article listed above. The one from the Chronicle is a little different and the only one where I saw Rataczak mention the light going on...and then off...then back on for good. But I'm not paying to find it. B) Both versions have Rataczak saying he wanted Cooper dead over the ocean, though. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

San Francisco Examiner..

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/461838093/

Not there..

There are 3 airstair lights in the cockpit and the light comes on when the lever is moved from the "up" detent.. it doesn't make sense for it to go off then on when the stairs rebound..  Could be newspaper vague language or more than one of the lights was noted by the crew.

I'll keep looking.

(edited)

Stop looking. It's not in the newspaper. 

It's on our secondary computer here at Adventure Books. Something was really bugging me about this. Where did I see that, etc? So I turned on the other computer and did a search. It's from the interview Skipp Porteous did with Rataczak. It's from Into The Blast, the chapter 'Interview With Bill Rataczak'. It's a bit long, (almost 5,000 words) so I will just post up the appropriate lines. Man, I haven't thought about that interview for years. B) You'll have to forgive me. I forgot that interview was part of the book. 

'Paul (Soderlind)  did a lot of work along with a lot of other people in trying to determine the exact area in general, then specifically, where the hijacker could have landed after he jumped from the airplane. Was that exactly where he jumped out? Well, we’re 99% sure it was because we felt a tremendous amount of pressure bump in our ears when the stairs rebounded when they closed. It would be like rolling down and rolling back up the window with a vast crank on your car when you’re speeding down the highway, which is something we’ve all experienced with our ears.

And we’ve also gotten confirmation on the Flight Engineer’s panel indicating that the stairs had momentarily closed. I make the analogy that it’s like a diving board. The more you weigh, the more the board will bend, and when you leave it it obviously reacts and comes back to neutral. Well, this is similar to that, the stairs do just that, they are open about 30 to 36 inches under the air-stream—that’s just the natural point where they will fall, the gap between the bottom of the stairs and the closure point in flight. When you walk out there, of course, your weight becomes heavier and it’s less able to support you and so the stairs will open further and he was able to jump off the bottom step. So we pretty much know when he jumped.

Where he jumped was up to air-traffic control to coordinate with our technical people. They plotted an area based on winds that were prevalent at that time, and then, of course, there were different approaches to his fall that could have occurred. When did he deploy the chute, for example. Did he deploy it immediately? If he did, then of course he would be carried more by the wind, or if he didn’t deploy at all and ended up boring a hole in the ground and is forever buried and is now nothing more than a skeleton, then would have been closer to point of departure. So, somewhere in between there is where he probably landed. With the winds it is hard to say.

But, it’s strange that there’s no chute that was ever found. That would be somewhat understandable given the underbrush and the terrain if it was never deployed. But, if it was deployed then it certainly was possible that he was able to gather it up and stuff it into a tree trunk. 

Lots of questions that remain about the whole thing. I don’t know if they’ll ever be answers...'

This excerpt is from the original file. I think I cleaned up the punctuation, etc. for the book. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
42 minutes ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Stop looking. It's not in the newspaper. 

And we’ve also gotten confirmation on the Flight Engineer’s panel indicating that the stairs had momentarily closed.

Ok, I think I got it..  that wasn't the light he is referring to. It is the cabin pressure rate of change gauge. That makes more sense as the stair light is activated by the lever position.

cabinpressureguage.jpeg.b14b3f096537edb8cf9f934f0b69bc5b.jpeg

cabinpressure.jpeg.58171b70c4317dd8d280424938c574e7.jpeg

engineerpressure.jpeg.a074eda6e2bb27a858f7b50acd9cbca0.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)
  • Boeing 727 Operating Manual

Aft Airstairs (Ventral)

• H - 1.93 (6 ft 4 in) W - 0.81 m (2 ft 8 in)
  • Approximate force required to move door control handle from closed/locked position to open position: 10 kg (22 lbs).
  • Door and Control Handle - 100 Series Control Handle has button on top of handle used in conjunction with handle to electrically raise/lower stair assembly.
  • Emergency Use (100 series) - inside stairway. Remove emergency access covers; pull sharply on release handle (inward). Action will cause uplocks to be sheared and forcibly extend stairs extensive damage will be caused to system).

Uplocks damaged using emergency system. Norjak has not even been confirmed to have the optional system.

Evidence indicates emergency system not used.

2094984639_B9315249046Z.1_20141124153941_000GL597RDAV.1-0.thumb.jpg.419b19a5d02bcb85c520261db7e89bbe.jpg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

I have a message out to a woman who has flown 727's, and since this information is NOT included in my upcoming book, I will release the contents of her email response, if and when it comes. She has even written a book about her experiences as a pilot. This was the message I sent:

Big fan of your book and I did have a question about the 727. Is there some kind of indicator light on any of the panels that would tell a pilot (or the FE) if the rear airstairs had been opened? I know that since the DB Cooper case, they cannot be lowered in flight, but I was wondering if there was an indicator somewhere on the flight deck. 
Sincerely,
Robert M. Blevins
Adventure Books of Seattle

I found out over the years that when you contact semi-famous, or even famous people, you obtain better responses from them if you just get to the point and be quick about it. B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

8 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

I have a message out to a woman who has flown 727's, and since this information is NOT included in my upcoming book, I will release the contents of her email response, if and when it comes. She has even written a book about her experiences as a pilot. This was the message I sent:

I found out over the years that when you contact semi-famous, or even famous people, you obtain better responses from them if you just get to the point and be quick about it. B)

Remember, the 727-100 and 727-200 had different systems and were changed/modified after NORJAK.. They weren't all the same.

This makes it more complicated to sort..

(edited)

Off-topic, but funny. My friend Kelly S sent me the picture below. She was at a wax museum down in Florida the other day. Her boyfriend took the picture. Naughty girl. ^_^ Just a bit of humor to lighten up this thread, at least for a day. 

KellyandRaquel.jpg.d914c8ad548011a208fc05c38e506fd2.jpg

She has a sense of humor, for sure. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Email response from the 727 lady pilot I messaged regarding whether there is a warning light on the Flight Engineer's panel for opening of the airstairs:

Good morning Robert,

Thank you so much for reading the book! 

Yep, there is an annunciator that lights up on flight engineer's panel if aft airstairs are lowered. It's required to lower the aft airstairs once you're parked at the gate and it is the flight attendant's responsibility to lower them.

I have the privilege of knowing the first officer on the DB Cooper flight. He's still lives in Minnesota.  He still doesn't know who DB Cooper is/was or can speculate on if he lived or not...

Cheers to blue skies and jet engines.

(edited)
3 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Email response from the 727 lady pilot I messaged regarding whether there is a warning light on the Flight Engineer's panel for opening of the airstairs:

It isn't that simple.

There are 3 lights for the aft airstairs..

Red Light - at the aft stair control lever, interior and exterior.

The cockpit engineer's panel has only two lights..

Amber Light - aft stairs are not locked up and control handle is not in up position.

Green Light - aft stairs are down and locked

That means the light that came on in the cockpit was the Amber one which DOES NOT confirm the aft stairs were open/moved, only that the lever was moved from the up detent position.

Light indicated "unlatched" not red, it was amber.

redlightunlatch.jpeg.912e4cd67ca4944b8a3a4814fc51abd3.jpeg

Tina noted the red light, it wasn't red but amber. Amber can be mistaken for faded red.

There is no red aft airstair light in the cockpit.

The timing of the light "going on" doesn't make sense..

Crew saw light at 7:42 and Tina saw light come on about 8PM. If they are both accurate,,

THEN.. (about 7:42) Cooper pushed the handle out from the up detent (light goes on) and didn't move it all the way to the down detent (stairs don't move) causing the stairs to not drop at all.. Cooper was struggling with the stairs. He moved the handle back to the up detent and the light goes out. He then tries the handle again and moves it all the way to the down detent, the light comes back on and stairs drop to partially open. (about 8PM) Tina sees the light come back on. 

If this is what happened the stairs did not lower/open (partially) till about 8PM.

tinaredlightcockpit.jpeg.2746b85bd335928937633c5f634729bc.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK