47 47
quade

DB Cooper

A couple of years ago, I did a FOIA request with the Army Corps of Engineers for information about dredging operations along the Columbia River. I shared a photo on Shutter's site last year showing the money find spot and a dredge spoil location. The picture seemed to indicate that the money was found on the southern edge of a dredge spoil location they called "96.6" which is approximately its mile marker designation. 

It brought up more questions than answers, and the matter was eventually dropped. I haven't had time to put much thought into it since then. So, I have decided to just share all the information from the Army Corps of Engineers FOIA records. 

Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11o6PCCNgnigx384ZfiAkmkfMDTbjiPO8?usp=share_link

Here is a picture of dredge spoils from 1974:

625614837_TenaRevised(1)bc.JPG.14df9388c3306d7c7294f580fc5b4ffc.JPG

The mile markers are circled and the approximate location of the money find is marked with the black "X"

Interestingly, these records indicate that 1974 was not the last time "Willow Bar" (the ACE's name for the Tena Bar area) was dredged:

2097158486_WillowBay8.png.0dc054713b7b569b81bdd08f9ec74d39.png

It's my hypothesis that the Tena Bar money arrived naturally via flood debris, but was subsequently buried under dredge spoils which eventually eroded and exposed it enough to be found in 1980. 

Happy to hear anyone else's thoughts on this. I know georger has put a lot of time and thought into this, so his opinion is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Chaucer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaucer said:

A couple of years ago, I did a FOIA request with the Army Corps of Engineers for information about dredging operations along the Columbia River. I shared a photo on Shutter's site last year showing the money find spot and a dredge spoil location. The picture seemed to indicate that the money was found on the southern edge of a dredge spoil location they called "96.6" which is approximately its mile marker designation. 

It brought up more questions than answers, and the matter was eventually dropped. I haven't had time to put much thought into it since then. So, I have decided to just share all the information from the Army Corps of Engineers FOIA records. 

Here's the link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11o6PCCNgnigx384ZfiAkmkfMDTbjiPO8?usp=share_link

The mile markers are circled and the approximate location of the money find is marked with the black "X"

Interestingly, these records indicate that 1974 was not the last time "Willow Bar" (the ACE's name for the Tena Bar area) was dredged:

It's my hypothesis that the Tena Bar money arrived naturally via flood debris, but was subsequently buried under dredge spoils which eventually eroded and exposed it enough to be found in 1980. 

Happy to hear anyone else's thoughts on this. I know georger has put a lot of time and thought into this, so his opinion is greatly appreciated. 

Nice, I have a report about the 1976 and 1977 dredge operation, it was deposited on the other side along Sauvie Island for erosion mitigation.

dredgespoils.jpeg.135402b2ca0d76f2d09a7c2d66c43441.jpeg

sauviebeachnourishment.jpeg.4c6a8aef29d6ab9f720af34af50582bb.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

5 hours ago, Chaucer said:

Here's the link:

What are you saying ?

Have you got new information that adds to the BECHLY report?

Edited by georger

36 minutes ago, georger said:

What are you saying ?

Have you got new information that adds to the BECHLY report?

All I have is what I shared here which are records from the Army Corps of Engineers acquired by me through FOIA. 

These files seem to indicate that the money find location was located within a dredge spoil location, and that there was further dredge action done in that area after 1974. 

Other than that, I'm just curious how others might interpret this information. 

2 hours ago, Chaucer said:

All I have is what I shared here which are records from the Army Corps of Engineers acquired by me through FOIA. 

These files seem to indicate that the money find location was located within a dredge spoil location, and that there was further dredge action done in that area after 1974. 

Other than that, I'm just curious how others might interpret this information. 

What further dredging was done and where on what dates - by whom and where were those dredging spoils dumped ?

If you dont have a report that is specific then this is all conjecture. The Bechly report is specific except for details about where and how much tonnage was dumped across from the Fazio property on the Oregon side.  Salvage people went down and talked to the FBI and the Corp folks during the 1980 excavation and were told about this 'mystery location' across on the Oregon side.  So after the FBI pulled out people went down and explored both the Fazio property and across the channel on the Oregon side, but nothing unusual was found ... according to several sources. Later Tosaw divers explored wing dams on the Oregon side and at one of those wing dams a socalled 'flare parachute' (or whatever it was) was found in debris, which was photographed and published in area newspapers. I dont remember what diver that was - Curtis Rainey maybe?

That's all I know. 

Edited by georger

5 hours ago, georger said:

What further dredging was done and where on what dates - by whom and where were those dredging spoils dumped ?

If you dont have a report that is specific then this is all conjecture. The Bechly report is specific except for details about where and how much tonnage was dumped across from the Fazio property on the Oregon side.  Salvage people went down and talked to the FBI and the Corp folks during the 1980 excavation and were told about this 'mystery location' across on the Oregon side.  So after the FBI pulled out people went down and explored both the Fazio property and across the channel on the Oregon side, but nothing unusual was found ... according to several sources. Later Tosaw divers explored wing dams on the Oregon side and at one of those wing dams a socalled 'flare parachute' (or whatever it was) was found in debris, which was photographed and published in area newspapers. I dont remember what diver that was - Curtis Rainey maybe?

That's all I know. 

It gets a very tricky as there were also hopper dredges involved... I have read that material was moved and dumped up and down the Columbia on the shore and even in the River but few details..

The map and grid I posted shows the year and volume of the material dumped on the Oregon side across from TBAR but we don't know where it originated.

I found one report of material dredged from the Willamette and dumped in the middle of the Columbia just upstream of TBAR..  It is a rat's nest trying to sort it out.

6 hours ago, georger said:

That's all I know. 

Army Corps of Engineers:

700619198_WillowBay8(1).png.0114af2f5e64124bb83545a1ed7b6051.png

2046440445_WillowBar10.jpg.e16816c1989cfe37edbbb5452bd41159.jpg

The post-1974 dredging was apparently placed on the Oregon side of the Columbia from Tena Bar, but dredging did occur. Would seem that the area of the money find was last touch with dredge spoils would be 1974. 

13 hours ago, Chaucer said:

Army Corps of Engineers:

700619198_WillowBay8(1).png.0114af2f5e64124bb83545a1ed7b6051.png

2046440445_WillowBar10.jpg.e16816c1989cfe37edbbb5452bd41159.jpg

The post-1974 dredging was apparently placed on the Oregon side of the Columbia from Tena Bar, but dredging did occur. Would seem that the area of the money find was last touch with dredge spoils would be 1974. 

I say again its too God damned bad the Treasury Dept Forensic Lab didnt get to have a say in this matter. Too late now! 

6 hours ago, Slim King said:

Former Top Government Investigator breaks with the cover up and says it's Walter Peca/Reca.... https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Truth-Am-D-B-Cooper/dp/1614853266

You want to see what the difference in what public records looks like of a serial liar phony secret agent vs. that of an actual secret agent?

xWy02bq (1).png

khe7lzJ (1).png

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Slim King said:

Former Top Government Investigator breaks with the cover up and says it's Walter Peca/Reca.... https://www.amazon.com/Getting-Truth-Am-D-B-Cooper/dp/1614853266

You would gain a lot more traction over on the Facebook group, with all the others that have dumb theories. You're kinda just wasting your time here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olemisscub said:

IMG_9615.gif

I've came close to checking out of that group many times. Eric isn't to blame, but there's so many idiots over there that it's become pointless. I enjoy the Facebook Live discussions, and that's pretty much the only reason I've hung around. Otherwise it's always the same old ridiculous theories: "Cooper never jumped", "It's obviously McCoy", "The Ingrams were in on it", "Cooper never existed", etc. Cle Elum would fit right in with all that BS. 

I thought I had SlimKing on ignore, but I guess I didn't.  After the long underwear comment, I definitely have him on ignore.  Completely delusional.  My consistent oberservation about the delusional people in the Vortex is "What other things in the world are they delusional about?"  Flat earth? Bigfoot, the CIA, etc.  He can try to post on the Facebook group but he won't last long over there.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

I thought I had SlimKing on ignore, but I guess I didn't.  After the long underwear comment, I definitely have him on ignore.  Completely delusional.  My consistent oberservation about the delusional people in the Vortex is "What other things in the world are they delusional about?"  Flat earth? Bigfoot, the CIA, etc.  He can try to post on the Facebook group but he won't last long over there.

I put him on ignore EARLY. I'd rather put up with the cranky old know-it-alls on here than bat shit nonsense. Best decision ever. 

48 minutes ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I've came close to checking out of that group many times. Eric isn't to blame, but there's so many idiots over there that it's become pointless. I enjoy the Facebook Live discussions, and that's pretty much the only reason I've hung around. Otherwise it's always the same old ridiculous theories: "Cooper never jumped", "It's obviously McCoy", "The Ingrams were in on it", "Cooper never existed", etc. Cle Elum would fit right in with all that BS. 

As that group expands, it is going to pull in more cranks, kooks, crazies, and those folks who are very new to the case, yet very opinionated about it. I think EU wants it that way: more and more people, so those issues are going to get worse unless he decides to do something about it. 

In the meantime, I'd like to see the private Research Group become an oasis for smart, serious, affable researchers. I'd love for you to be more active on there, P-Head. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Chaucer said:

As that group expands, it is going to pull in more cranks, kooks, crazies, and those folks who are very new to the case, yet very opinionated about it. I think EU wants it that way: more and more people, so those issues are going to get worse unless he decides to do something about it. 

In the meantime, I'd like to see the private Research Group become an oasis for smart, serious, affable researchers. I'd love for you to be more active on there, P-Head. 

I wanted to add to this comment of mine, that bringing in many new people to the case isn't at all a bad thing. It also brings in bright people with varied backgrounds and fresh perspectives. Unfortunately, for every one of them, we get three cranks, two kooks, and one crazy. 

• Like 2