15 15
quade

DB Cooper

It's an educated guess, but I think prior to Cooper it was 'Tena Bar,' and somehow changed later. I wouldn't be surprised if the Fazio Brothers had something to do with it. They've been hit up for access more times than they can remember over the last forty plus years. Perhaps someone suggested the change to them. 

Joke of the Day, to lighten up your riots/looting/Covid lockdown/upcoming recession/ state of mind:

A woman has a problem with stealing. She's a kleptomaniac. 

She gets caught stealing a can of peaches and has to appear in front of the judge.

"Why did you steal the peaches?" the judge says. 

"I don't know. I just did it."

"Hmm," says the judge. "How many peaches were in the can?"

"Six."

"All right then," says the judge. "I sentence you to six days in jail."

Her husband stands up in the back of the courtroom. "Your honor? She also stole a can of peas."

You guys are a tough crowd. B)

A man on a road trip sees a sign on the highway that says, Talking Dog at Store, so he pulls into the store. He asks the owner, "Do you REALLY have a talking dog?"

"Sure," the owner says. "He's in the back if you want to see him."

The man goes to the back of the store and sees a mangy-looking mutt lying in the corner. "Are you the talking dog?"

"That's me," says the dog. 

"That is amazing. How did you learn to talk?"

"Well, my litter mates howled and barked. Talking just sort of came naturally to me," says the dog. 

"How come you haven't tried to cash in on your talent?" 

"Oh, I've had an interesting life. When I was a young dog, I got a job with the CIA doing spy work in Warsaw, Moscow, Havana, you name it. People talk freely in front of a dog. They don't figure you understand them. Once in a while I would meet with my case agent. Yeah, I really hit the mark on some of my reports. Changed the world sometimes."

"Wow," says the man. "That IS something."

"Meh. After I retired from the CIA, I went to work for the State Department for a while. I've even met a couple of Presidents. But I'm retired from all that now."

The man shakes his head in amazement and goes up front to see the owner. "Have you ever thought of selling that dog?"

"Sure. You want to buy him?"

"Yes!"

"Ten bucks then."

The man is appalled. "TEN bucks? For a dog like THAT?"

"Yeah, ten bucks. He's full of shit. He's hasn't done ANY of those things..."

(edited)

No big deal, but I will be unavailable from June 12 through June 16. Going to the place shown below for a full-out gear test prior to the last Cooper Campout. This is NOT the place where the campout will actually be held. We will do THAT either at Spider Lake, Olympics...or another place a bit closer to the Skokomish River. Spider Lake is nice, but it doesn't get cell service and one of our big requirements is that we select spots where we know there is service. So that spot is probably out.  

HighLake.jpg.184492f44a7eac05dfc1aa81a131a5db.jpg

So far, response to the WordPress article and the notice at AB of Seattle's main website has been great. I may not have to run a Craigslist event ad after all. Even a news outlet here in Auburn is interested in knowing more, and has asked me to submit an article afterward (with pictures and/or video). 

Press release goes out in mid-July, as well as the CL ad if necessary.

Not a single inquiry has come from any of the known folks in Cooperland. Figures. But about forty inquiries have come by email or Facebook message from just general Cooper fans, a couple of friends, and some people I don't know. Maybe half of them are serious. 

No worries. You won't be missed. I know I said I would give it until the end of June, but due to a complete and total lack of response to my proposal that Cooperland help Bryan Woodruff by tossing one big fundraising party in Ariel for him, (rather than the campout)...I have shelved that idea. If any support for such an idea were coming, it would have come out by now. And I have no intention of going it alone with such an effort a second time. The Cooper Campout is different. We're already set up for that, since we've done them a few times previously. We have a system in place for that. That system worked every single time...EXCEPT the time we tried to do it in Oregon. Less than ten people showed up for that one. 

I thought it was a good idea about the Ariel store and Bryan, but I pretty much knew no one would even make a supporting comment about the proposal. You guys talk a big Cooper game, but interaction and cooperation to interest the public are seriously lacking. This might not be restricted to my proposals however. I noticed that EU's videos aren't getting many views, and no one has posted on Cooper in days either here or at the Cooper Forum. Might be the general state of things right now that is the reason...people are worrying about other things I'm sure. So I don't take it personally. We're averaging about four or five inquiries a day on the campout idea. Some folks have said that the idea of getting out of the house sounded great to them, even if they barely knew who Cooper was. Brother, I understand THAT concept. (Getting away from the house) B)

One of the things I'm doing is collecting about every media I can on Cooper, i.e. movies, TV shows, etc for presentation on the big screen, using a hi-def media projector. We also have a TV just in case. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Heard about Shutter's mom. Sent him a message. Some things ARE more important than some hijacking case from fifty years ago. His situation is definitely one of them. Gayla and I send our sympathies and our understanding. Our folks are also up in years, as you can imagine. 

GWS.jpg.632fb429a883de5d4a55435e59975007.jpg

Facebook friended by Larry C today. 
No, I'm not going to bug him with questions on the Cooper case. 
He doesn't believe Kenny Christiansen was Cooper anyway, and I respect his opinion. I may not agree with it, but I respect it. 

Looking at the weather for this weekend in the Hoodsport (WA) area...a bit dicey. Not too bad, but dicey. I will bring extra shelter tarps. Can't wait to drop my line into the pond and try my luck. It's catch and release all the way at the High Lake (my name for it) but those totally wild trout fight like you would not believe. They take you on Mr Toad's Wild Ride, and then you get them landed...and they are only six or seven inches long. Unreal. You have to respect that. I'm more than happy to turn them loose. 

UPDATE: Have canceled the gear check-out trip for this weekend and moved it to NEXT weekend. They are calling for a thunderstorm in the Olympics on Saturday, with rain more or less over the next few days. More time off next week anyway, and weather is supposed to improve greatly. I can probably stay out there for five or six days if I put it off to next week, which sounds better than the three days I was planning for THIS weekend. 

(edited)

Sure enough...rainstorms hitting the Seattle area today. Good thing I canceled the trip till next week. 

Been reading excerpts from Bruce Smith's novel, the one where he puts up people who are in a group home on sexual assault charges as heroes...in the aftermath of an A-bomb explosion in Massachusetts. 

My personal opinion on this work, after editing more than sixty books in my career:

Poor premise, because sex assault guys under indictment cannot be heroes. They can only be sex assault guys. Audience sympathy will be minimal at best. No one will give a shit if they acted heroically or not. They will only want to read the ending to see if they ended up in jail where they belonged. 

The writing itself is so-so, (see These Rules for Novel Writing by Alan Guthrie) but with a different premise and a decent editor, could be an okay novel. Post-apocalyptic stuff still sells.

But in my opinion, trying to make heroes of guys being held in a group home for sexual assault is pretty ridiculous. :/ Need a different group to create heroes from, not a group almost everyone would despise. 

To Bruce on a personal level:  No worries. I would have said this about such a book, no matter who wrote it. Not picking on you personally, but your premise is completely wacko. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I have been informed by Gayla that we work Wednesday and Friday only this coming week, and then we are off from Saturday until the following Thursday. This means I will leave on Saturday morning for the Olympics and return on Tuesday. Four days away from Covid and lockdown crap is better than nothing. Most of the gear I will be testing for the main event in August is ready. Weather is supposed to be good for this test.

We now have eight confirmed people who want to go along for the August DB Cooper Campout. (and I'm not even scheduled to run the Craigslist Event ad for another month.) For the Real Deal in August, most folks will show up on Saturday, like the other times, and probably most will leave on Monday morning. Although with so many people out of work, maybe the whole damn group will stay until the very end. Hard to tell at this point. A particular amount of interest is coming from a certain discussion forum on Nissans, one of the better sites. We will probably pick up a couple of locals who hang out at that site. 

I have recruited TWO of these people to assist me in setting up the actual campsite a day in advance. (For the main event in August, NOT this weekend's upcoming gear test.) You would not believe what is involved...it's a lot. Have to set up the public shelter area, the media stuff, the power supply stuff, the special toilet and shower tent....yada yada...it's a big list. I did it the first time all by myself, but it was a serious PITA. Since I have at least four days to do the test run this weekend, I can handle that one last time by myself. 

I've decided that to make it more worthwhile for people to show up in August, that I should offer something special besides the usual BBQ dinner. I have prepared a short video (not for YouTube) where I will reveal most details on the upcoming DB Cooper movie. Things like:  Who is actually behind it, (studios and main producers) and who has been slated to play Tina Mucklow. And other facts. It's been two and a half years keeping these secrets, although some of them were only recently decided upon.

I HAVE told the studios my intentions, and they are okay with this idea on two conditions:

1) No one will be allowed to film the video with their smartphones or any of that. 

2) I cannot make any internet posts about all this after the campout is over. If others do it, that is fine. But I am not allowed to do so on my own. I can tell you there was a campout. I cannot give you the details on what we're going to be telling people about the movie. The way they explained it to me was this:  The campout is UNofficial. Posting to the internet is OFFICIAL and I cannot do that. 

Sounds weird, I know. But that's what they said. So if you are curious about these things, you must arrange to go on your own. Second weekend of August is still on and I see no reason to change it. If you've been kicking it back and forth on whether or not it is worth it to show up, well...you'll probably have more fun than you've had in quite a while. We do other things besides just watching Cooper stuff or feature films on a big screen, or running video games on a TV.

Each time we do this, I always meet a few new Cooper fans. It's a lot like going to the old Ariel Store parties, except you don't have to drive home at 2AM...and then it starts again the next day...and goes on for a few MORE days. It's a party, yes. People do all kinds of stuff, especially during the day. They go on day hikes or fish, (we give them a walkie talkie if they do) or they go out a couple of miles and do target shooting, (not allowed at the campsite of course) or just sit around and have drinks or food while they visit with each other. Some even bring board games occasionally. 

I have tried to give the biggest Cooper fans a jump on the whole thing. I can guarantee you a spot prior to the Craigslist ad, but you will have to contact me on your own. After the ad comes out I have NO control over how many people might try to show up, or where they will end up having to camp. CL Event ads reach a lot of people, and I am not allowed (by CL rules) to restrict attendance in ANY way to people. So I have no idea how all this will go. Maybe no one will show as a result of the CL ad. Maybe everyone and his brother will try to make it up there to the Olympics for the party. You can see the position I am in here. It's a bit tricky. 

In fact, one of the problems I've had is to figure out HOW I will run the CL ad and tell people the location of the event PRIOR to the event. Because three of us have to go there in advance and set everything up...so there is a risk that people seeing the ad might try to go there immediately, maybe even days in advance. We're still kicking around how to do this. It's been suggested we pick a lake location in the Olympics with plenty of area to camp, but only give the name of the lake. That way...no one will know exactly where the event is to be held at the lake...UNTIL we put up the signs. That might work as long as the lake is large enough. Still considering options, but we will figure it out somehow. 

No posts except mine for the last few days, but that's okay. Someone has to keep folks informed. B)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Informed by Quora dot com today that the D.B. Cooper Space there is now a paying space via Stripe. Money from Cooper? Always nice. I may have to upgrade some of the articles and shares there. 

Reminds me of my old days at Newsvine, the now-defunct citizen news site that was finally bought out by MSNBC. Before it went to hell, I published over 500 illustrated articles there on all manner of subjects. Sometimes I got twenty bucks a month via PayPal. Sometimes it went as high as $150. When it finally stopped coming, I had collected exactly $1,150 via PayPal over about 18 months. 

Looks like the good old days have returned. I always get motivated to do better when I get paid. (*laughs*) :handok:

Edited by RobertMBlevins

57 minutes ago, Asbury09 said:

Can anyone help me get in touch with Jo Weber? I have some new info on Duane Weber that might be of interest to her.

Shutter, the owner of Shutter's forum, has some recent information on Jo Weber and may know how to get in touch with her.  But you will have to figure out some way to get in touch with Shutter.

2 hours ago, Asbury09 said:

Can anyone help me get in touch with Jo Weber? I have some new info on Duane Weber that might be of interest to her.

I don't have her phone number anymore, although it may be on my Comcast Cable phone record. She's called just about everyone involved in the Cooper case at one time or another. She lives in Florida. I do have her email address, but you will have to private message me for that, or contact me at adventurebooksofseattle AT Gmail. Can't publish it to the internet. (Mine I don't care about because it's the in-house email anyway. I have a private one I don't publish.)

Here's a picture of she and Duane from happier times:

DuaneandWife79.jpg.bfb91809edb640d2de8495e68014e55b.jpg

I've become enthralled by the DB case and history over the last few years after my wife and I bought a house in the Greenwood area. After doing some house history research I discovered that our house was owned by none other than Earl Cossey; him and his wife at the time purchased the house in 1967 and lived here during/after the skyjacking.

(edited)
10 hours ago, blndsoccer said:

I've become enthralled by the DB case and history over the last few years after my wife and I bought a house in the Greenwood area. After doing some house history research I discovered that our house was owned by none other than Earl Cossey; him and his wife at the time purchased the house in 1967 and lived here during/after the skyjacking.

Well, that's interesting. Makes you instantly qualify for near-icon status in Seattle. I have two things to say about the Greenwood area:

Razzi's and Wing Dome! ^_^ Seriously...if you are going to live in the city, it's one of the better neighborhoods. I live down in Auburn, which ISN'T. :thumbdown:

EDIT: Damn it! The US Forest Service re-opened the area shown below in the picture on May 4th. It had been closed for a year due to the Maple Fire of 2019. (Lake area itself was not damaged by the fire) This was the spot I had selected for the solo trip this weekend, the one where I do a test run on all the new gear we acquired for the upcoming August DB Cooper Campout. 

HighLake.jpg.85e6b742f09bfbd680c5b3cda53e601d.jpg

Two weeks later, they have suddenly decided to close it again until July 3. Couldn't they get it right the first time? I will have to select another spot for this weekend. And quickly.

Good thing I happened to check the Olympic National Forest website a few minutes ago, or I would have driven all the way up there on Saturday morning just to run into some CLOSED AREA signs. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, blndsoccer said:

Have you checked the attic?

45 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Have you checked the attic?

@FLYJACK Funny you should ask! We did! Mostly nothing except....an old wood stove with some charred logs and ash still in it. My mind immediately went to some sort of collusion between Cossey and DB. It now sits on our front porch; I've turned it into a little table. Such history!

(edited)

'Mostly nothing except....an old wood stove with some charred logs and ash still in it....'

If you ever pick up some rec property with a cabin, all you will need is a few solar panels, some deep cycle batteries, drag the stove up there, and you would be good to go for power and heat. 

You could call it, Cooper's Cabin:handok:

Edited by RobertMBlevins

9 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

If you ever pick up some rec property with a cabin, all you will need is a few solar panels, some deep cycle batteries, drag the stove up there, and you would be good to go for power and heat. 

You could call it, Cooper's Cabin:handok:

1/2 a step ahead of you. I just started building a small office shed in the back yard; "DB's Hideaway".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blndsoccer said:

1/2 a step ahead of you. I just started building a small office shed in the back yard; "DB's Hideaway".

If you ever get down to the Ariel Store, maybe Bryan Woodruff would toss in some Cooper stuff for you. He has a few items he won't sell under any circumstances, and some that he *might* be willing to part with. He's mercurial, as they say. It helps if you offer to contribute to the money jar he still keeps on the bar. 

Finally researched out an alternate spot for the gear test. The lake site wouldn't have worked anyway. I should have realized there's no cell signal at the High Lake. (My name for it.) Then I found a better one at the end of a Forest Service road. Most of those FS roads on the eastern side of the Olympics, I can negotiate them without a map. This spot is perfect for my purposes. Will return on June 25. If I post here after Saturday morning, it means I did it with my smartphone. I'm pretty sure there is signal up there. (One of the requirements we have for Cooper Campouts is the ability for peoples' smartphones to get signal. Some folks like to tether them to a laptop for internet.) Plus we need com in case there was a med emergency or something, but that has never happened unless you count hangovers. Those HAVE happened occasionally. ¬¬ Happened to a couple of the folks in picture below when we did the Eclipse Campout at Magone Lake, Oregon. The guy with the Sharks shirt came up all the way from San Jose and brought a satellite phone for everyone to use. The guy with the Harley shirt worked for KGW in Portland. We found out later that we made SO much noise that other campers down the hill, people we didn't even realize were there...couldn't sleep. Oops. 

GroupPhoto5.jpg.7cc5d35827660fecd19711a860038316.jpg

TestCampLocation2365.jpg.486f59fe98aa782f7b215f3e9d0d99e5.jpg

(edited)
11 hours ago, The Cooper Vortex said:

New episode of The Cooper Vortex out now.

Is this a Secret Squirrel and Morroco Mole kind of thing? Sounds like a 70s cartoon.. I would attach a funny picture but I don't have one on my phone. I like your show but the ONLY thing you EVER post is pushing your latest episode. ..

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Hard to imagine Im sitting up here in the middle of nowhere watching 55 Days in Peking with Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner and all gear works just great. Its a hoot. Tomorrow I run additional tests on everything else. It's good to know all that Trump money I spent at Amazon was worth it. (Insert evil laugh here) Heard he might send more. Works for me.

(edited)

Georger wrote...

"A 2018 article by CoinWorld You are not allowed to view links.Register or Login    says that 35 more serial numbers were found by conservators working on the Ingram money, than the FBI previously counted. That brings the Ingram find to $6500."

This is a common and often repeated misunderstanding and needs to be clarified. This happened in 2008 when 35 additional serial numbers were identified from fragments. It was not 35 additional bills, just newly identified numbers from fragments.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-currency-notifies-fbi-of-d-b-cooper-serial-numbers

The TBAR bills were 3 packets of 100, a few missing from one but in the same order as given to Cooper per micro recording. The FBI did not identify every bill by the identifiable serial number but they had the sequence. 

PCGS identified previously unrecorded serial numbers from fragments within the 3 packets, they did not find additional bills. 

Claiming more than $6000 was found on TBAR is erroneous. The FBI had the sequences and it could easily determine the number of bills without identifying each and every serial number.

Edited by FLYJACK