21 21
quade

DB Cooper

12 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

When you speak to them or message them at the SEATTLE office, they always mention your material or message is being forwarded to the current case agent. Even today. 

Well I guess that is better than nothing.

The saying “we always get our man” is the Canadian Mounties saying.....I mistakenly thought it was the FBI.

(edited)

Been pretty busy lately. Some car prowls in the neighborhood, so I put up some money at Lowe's and turned our parking lot from night to day. The place is already fenced three sides with one open side, which is the parking lot entrance from the alley. Most of the lights I installed have motion sensors. We live in a four plex condo, total eight units and two buildings. Everyone pretty much knows each other. Condo owners were okay with the additional lighting. 

Also working on plans for the final 'DB Cooper Campout' tentatively scheduled for August. I contacted the movie producers last week and asked them how much longer are they going to ask me to keep their secrets for them? If they make me wait until August, everyone who attends the campout will know exactly what I know now because I will prepare a video presentation to be shown privately. It will NOT appear at YouTube or anywhere else on the internet. 

Frankly, I understand where the production company(s) staff are coming from, and I appreciate the option checks...but I'm getting tired of being called a 'liar' regarding this movie. In other words, seeing people say that there IS no movie in the works. A famous Hollywood star has tossed his backing...and his private production company...behind the whole thing. It's about time someone, someWHERE, let the public know what's going on. I have asked (officially) that both companies involved in this picture make some sort of trade news announcement regarding this picture...and reasonably soon. Or I will do it FOR them and take the heat. Frankly speaking, they want to pay me a lot of money for the rights to the Cooper story, but the truth is that although I am not rich, my family doesn't exactly wonder where their next meal is coming from. I don't need the money that bad. After three and a half years of making people wait and wonder, it is TIME. And that time will be at the next, and FINAL, Cooper Campout. This notice will also appear in the Craigslist Event Ad when we run it in late July. There will be no official announcement, or any information about this event at Dropzone, the AB of Seattle main site, (except an email link for info) or Facebook, Twitter, or the like. Since I updated the Meetups page at AB of Seattle, we've already received more than 30 inquiries. This event is aimed at the general public, not Cooper investigators or heavy posters at Cooper Dropzone and Shutter's forum. Anyone from those groups who wishes to attend has two options. They can email me as others do, or they can try to catch the Craigslist ad when it comes out. As far as advance arrangements and a guaranteed spot via email, I am taking those on a case by case basis. We are limited to no more than 75 people in the same spot. Any overflow will have to go elsewhere, although probably not far away. Forest Service rules for group camps are the reason. 

I figure it's time to make the guys who asked me to sign their option either go public, or I will. I would rather THEY do it, of course. But that will not stop me from at least sharing all the current information with people crazy enough to drive out twenty miles from the main highway to camp and talk about the Cooper case. I will give them that. They deserve this, and they will get it. I'm already writing up a loose script for the video, which will be shown on our ten foot projector screen at the campout...along with whatever other media attendees choose to bring on their own. The only two people I will NOT make advance arrangements with are Eric Ulis and Bruce Smith. If I did that, both of them would blab every detail on public forums ten minutes later. I can't stop them from showing up, and I won't...but they will have to figure it out for themselves and go the public route via the Craigslist ad. 

EDIT: I have received a couple of messages telling me that this approach isn't fair. That I should make all the details of this event public...and THEN run the Craigslist Event notice. Here is my answer to that:

On the previous campouts, I did just that. And the last time I made EVERYTHING available in advance to Cooperland, all I got was some threats at Bruce Smith's website against the participants. He allowed posts by people who threatened to show up at the arranged meetup spot, (a mini mart in Estacada, Oregon) and cause trouble. So NO...I will not do that this time. This event is aimed more at general Cooper fans in the Puget Sound area, media if they wish to try and cover it, and the people who contact me personally and somehow convince me they can be trusted not to reveal the location or some details PRIOR to the Craigslist ad. Most of the people who post heavily to either here or Shutter's forum do not even live in Washington state anyway, and would not attend. They would only cause trouble on the internet...like last time. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
5 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Lot of redactions in this one. One thing's for sure...everybody and his brother was turning in everyone to the FBI they thought even remotely looked like Cooper. It was Snitch Heaven for sure. I'll bet the FBI got tired of chasing phony leads. 

I made a joke once about the agent who gets assigned to the Cooper case in Seattle, when that was going full-time. This agent, maybe THAT agent...another agent over the years. I said it probably wasn't a promotion, and sometimes the agent would wonder what they had done wrong to deserve that assignment. 

It's a joke, folks. Although there might have been some truth in it. B)

In other news, I've established a third discussion forum on the Cooper case, combining it with some writing stuff. I don't expect much traffic to it, but I DID establish one thread where only certain members can view what is posted. And those members, (if any actually sign up LOL) will be the only ones able to view content there. This was done to assist Cooper investigators who get tired of having everything they post copied to other websites without credit to them. All other threads will be fully viewable by the public without having to register. Registration is only required if you actually want to post something. That is normal. 

Not ready to give out the address of the site yet. Still tweaking it here and there. Probably by the weekend. Below is a preview pic of the homepage, shrunk down to 40% of normal so I could make it viewable here. The banner is trimmed off. Says:  Everything D.B. Cooper, same as the Quora site. Went with the Green Lantern Lady theme, although she cannot be seen in the preview. No posts yet. I have to add the usual Admin stuff like Rules, etc. Registration will not be restricted, but if you are known to us, we ask you use the same username you use elsewhere on the internet for making Cooper-related posts. If you fail to do this and we find out...your account, the email you used to register, and your IP address will be permanently banned. It's not that big a request...so if you decide to come on board later, please do this. We respect confidentiality, but neither do we want people registering to a Cooper forum and selecting a username already well-known in Cooperland, in some effort to pose as that person, and make posts in your name. 

ForumPreview40%.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Good info Flyjack. There is also info in the latest documents about comparing fingerprints to suspects. 

One note in the middle of a page says “This guy is a nut” referring to someone who contacted the FBI. That gave me a laugh. 

These files are from the 1980s. I wonder if any of the agents on there are still alive. 

1 hour ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Good info Flyjack. There is also info in the latest documents about comparing fingerprints to suspects. 

One note in the middle of a page says “This guy is a nut” referring to someone who contacted the FBI. That gave me a laugh. 

These files are from the 1980s. I wonder if any of the agents on there are still alive. 

Can't beat the Cooper detector...

alka-seltzer bottles, strings, nylon stockings and pieces of metal..

coooperdetector.jpeg.4ea401cbb4ead080fe3401e6e8677cb4.jpeg

(edited)
6 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

FBI interviewed a jump expert,,,

Jumps was very survivable, in woods or water.

Jump simple for an experienced jumper.

Could have drifted up 5 miles.

Footwear inconsequential.

It was 46 degrees on the ground in Portland, Oregon at 8pm on November 24, 1971.  Wind blowing from the SouthEast at 5 MPH.  Zero precipitation.  Portland is about 35 miles south of the Merwin damn.

Cooper specified the plane to fly no higher than 10,000 feet and at 115 MPH before he jumped.

It seems to me that if Cooper could have survived the freezing weather at 10K feet and got the chute to open and survived the snap back of the chute opening in that environment he would have a good chance of survival on the ground.  The low temp going into November 25th was 43 degrees with a high of 47 degrees on November 25th.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/or/portland/KPDX/date/1971-11-24

Edited by Coopy

33 minutes ago, Coopy said:

It was 46 degrees on the ground in Portland, Oregon at 8pm on November 24, 1971.  Wind blowing from the SouthEast at 5 MPH.  Zero precipitation.  Portland is about 35 miles south of the Merwin damn.

Cooper specified the plane to fly no higher than 10,000 feet and at 115 MPH before he jumped.

It seems to me that if Cooper could have survived the freezing weather at 10K feet and got the chute to open and survived the snap back of the chute opening in that environment he would have a good chance of survival on the ground.  The low temp going into November 25th was 43 degrees with a high of 47 degrees on November 25th.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/or/portland/KPDX/date/1971-11-24

Cooper didn't specify any speed for the airliner to fly.  In reality, it was doing about 225 MPH true airspeed when he jumped.

Greetings. I'm new here and this topic has become somewhat of a personal panacea to my pandemic isolation. I have a few questions for anyone who might like to answer:

1. Do you think the letters from DB Cooper are really from DB Cooper? Was there 6 of them? Does anyone have a link where I could observe the letters myself?

2. What do you think of the 'Ha Ha Ha' book? was this written by DB Cooper? anyone have a copy they'd like to lend/sell?

I guess I'm developing an idea that Cooper was a smart-aleck type who has been goading the FBI for beating them. This is how I choose to interpret the Tena Bar money as well - That Cooper planted the money several years later to goad the investigators. And if you were the type of person who could pull off this type of event and enjoyed watching the puzzlement and confusion through news reports, then 3 packets of 20's (er, $5800) wouild be well worth the price. And how could you ask for a better outcome than to have provided that thrill of discovery to a 10yo (and eventually a payday).

5 hours ago, Robert99 said:

Cooper didn't specify any speed for the airliner to fly.  In reality, it was doing about 225 MPH true airspeed when he jumped.

"During refueling, Cooper outlined his flight plan to the cockpit crew: a southeast course toward Mexico City at the minimum airspeed possible without stalling the aircraft – approximately 100 knots (185 km/h; 115 mph) – at a maximum 10,000-foot (3,000 m) altitude."

The wiki reads the plane could have flow at 115 mph without stalling.  Maybe ice on the plane prevented that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

4 hours ago, SimpleCostillaOne said:

Greetings. I'm new here and this topic has become somewhat of a personal panacea to my pandemic isolation. I have a few questions for anyone who might like to answer:

1. Do you think the letters from DB Cooper are really from DB Cooper? Was there 6 of them? Does anyone have a link where I could observe the letters myself?

2. What do you think of the 'Ha Ha Ha' book? was this written by DB Cooper? anyone have a copy they'd like to lend/sell?

I guess I'm developing an idea that Cooper was a smart-aleck type who has been goading the FBI for beating them. This is how I choose to interpret the Tena Bar money as well - That Cooper planted the money several years later to goad the investigators. And if you were the type of person who could pull off this type of event and enjoyed watching the puzzlement and confusion through news reports, then 3 packets of 20's (er, $5800) wouild be well worth the price. And how could you ask for a better outcome than to have provided that thrill of discovery to a 10yo (and eventually a payday).

There were many more than 6 letters, I am studying some of them right now...  maybe one or more can be linked to Cooper, but not yet.

Ha, Ha, Ha, haven't read it, others have.

The plant theory just doesn't make sense...  the TBAR money was either unintentionally lost or intentionally discarded. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coopy said:

"During refueling, Cooper outlined his flight plan to the cockpit crew: a southeast course toward Mexico City at the minimum airspeed possible without stalling the aircraft – approximately 100 knots (185 km/h; 115 mph) – at a maximum 10,000-foot (3,000 m) altitude."

The wiki reads the plane could have flow at 115 mph without stalling.  Maybe ice on the plane prevented that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

Wiki is flat out wrong.  Cooper did not, repeat not, specify any speed to be flown.  Cooper did not "outline his flight plan to the cockpit crew" since he didn't have a flight plan.  He did tell one of the flight attendants that he wanted to go to Mexico but didn't specify any route to getting there.  The NWA flight crew worked up a possible route where they would need two fuel stops.  They suggested Reno to Cooper as the first stop and he agreed.  The location for a second fuel stop was never decided on.

Fly at stall speed all the way from Seattle to Mexico?  Wiki has got to be kidding.  NWA performance engineers told the flight crew to fly at 170 Knots Indicated Air Speed to achieve best range.  And it wasn't until the airliner was in the Portland area that the flight crew were informed that they should be able to make it to Reno.

(edited)
10 hours ago, SimpleCostillaOne said:

Robert says: Almost certainly a 'NO'. (on whether letters were actually written by Cooper) If you search Google Images you will come up with a few of them. Also a couple of people at YouTube have shown copies of them from the same pictures. It is extremely rare when the actual perp writes the cops or the media. It's happened a few famous times, i.e. Jack the Ripper and Scorpio. But mainly they are copycats looking for attention. The cops will tell you they get this kind of stuff all the time when a famous crime happens. The only communication that MAY have been written by Cooper himself is the postcard received by the Ariel Store and Tavern once on a Thanksgiving. Owner Bryan Woodruff still has it. I have seen it. It may be legitimate. Came right before one of the Cooper Parties they used to hold at the store. Below are the front and back side of the postcard:

PostcardONE.jpg.cef5ad66bc02d44428d8f53786f2824b.jpg

PostcardTWO.jpg.e606cc3d46ec9fb0873436be7b65e11f.jpg

Robert says: Not written by Cooper himself. It was written by a guy living south of Portland at the time. A guy who almost certainly had previous writing experience. The cover is embossed, the book was privately printed. It is well-edited, not a hack job. (I am an expert on these things, being in the publishing business for close to 20 years now.) Let me answer your question by re-posting my comment here at Dropzone from April 19, 2019: (sorry about the length, but it is a complicated issue.)

'HOW do we know...someone asked....if the book 'Ha Ha Ha' is fiction? Good question. Some points below:

The man who did all the artwork is credited to Greg Ellingson, a REAL person. Ellingson is a known artist in the Portland area, (Google Greg Ellingson artist, or you'll get the hockey player instead) with many years of experience and art for sale today. Looking at his picture at Linkedin, he must have been pretty young and just starting out when he did the art for the book. However, there are several ways to contact him on the internet. You could ask him the author's name. 

The publisher, 'Signum Books Ltd,' should not be confused with 'Signum Books,' a division of Flashpoint Media founded in 2010. 'Signum Books Ltd.' (was) a small press based out of Jefferson, Oregon a very small town south of Salem. In 1983, to privately publish such a book, you would have to do it the old fashioned way using an actual book press, and that couldn't be done as quickly and easily as today. 

The book was undoubtedly sub-contracted out as a print job, and copies were delivered in boxes. Since Signum Ltd was either a single person and that was their business name, or a very small company, you would have to contract out the printing somewhere. This was probably done in Portland, because the actual PRINTING of the book is credited to the Portland Journal of Commerce. The PJC has been around for well over a hundred years, but they don't print books on their own. However, they DO put businesses together for sub contracting jobs and they end up being credited as the printer. The reality is that the book was printed privately under contract, probably several thousand copies at least, and the publisher listed the PJC as the actual printer. This could have been done to avoid certain questions later. 

Dona Elliott, the late, great owner-operator of the Ariel General Store and Tavern, had steady access to more copies of the book whenever she wished, and claimed she knew the identity of the author. (Via my interview with her in 2012 in the morning prior to that year's Cooper Party) She was selling them for six dollars a copy at the same time they were going for well over a hundred bucks each at Amazon. Only one known library carries the book, according to WorldCat, and that is the Washington State University library. I bought six copies from Elliott and several more later. Wherever she was obtaining the copies, she had a steady source. This boosts her claim that she knew the author, and additionally, she said that although he WASN'T Cooper, that he was a Northwest native and local to the Portland area. 

Several people worked on Ha Ha Ha, but some of the names are phony. 'Judi Van Cleave' and 'Debra' could be pseudonyms. Greg Ellingson, the artist, is real. (EDIT: Judi Van Cleave is also a REAL person, I just discovered who she is and she IS from Oregon. I have sent her a message.) Much of his work you can see on the internet today resembles the work he did for Ha Ha Ha. If you really wanted to know the name of the author for real, he is probably your best bet to find out. Personally, I haven't tried. 

I have edited books or done cover creation on about sixty different titles since 2003, mostly for outside authors on contract. After examining Ha Ha Ha closely, I have a few opinions. First, it's a pro job all the way, especially on the editing. Back in 1983, word processing was in its infancy. Books were edited mostly by making corrections on a typewriter and then later set up for an actual printing press. It has an embossed cover, which is unusual for a privately-printed book. Someone paid a little bit extra to do that. The one-piece wraparound cover is a solid job and not done by an amateur. There is no problem with the bleed area and all the images on the cover and used in the interior are dead-center. The text editing is spot on. (They could have left an additional 1/4" space for the inside margin, but they probably placed it a bit tight to save page count, since private book printing costs are usually based on the number of pages you want printed in your book.)

Assessment:  Ha Ha Ha was a book created by pros who knew what they were doing, and had worked in the business somehow, somewhere, for years. The people involved in this book were not amateurs to the book and/or publishing business. 

About The Author:  Whoever he was, I don't think Ha Ha Ha was his first book. The writing flows well, he knows how to use the Chicago Manual of Style, his dialogue is crisp, and he does paragraph breaks at the right times and places. This guy, in my opinion....was writing either freelance or semi-pro PRIOR to the writing of Ha Ha Ha. The signs are all over the book. It wasn't his first bit of writing, and he's good. 

Why The Book Lost Money:  Although (in my opinion) this was a book created by professionals, it also required a large investment in order to get it printed privately. This probably left little for marketing, and the one thing no one considered was that the author wasn't going to be doing any book tours or appearances, because he alleges several illegal acts in the book, and claims it is fact. At his first appearance, he would have to admit the book was a total work of fiction, and this limited marketing greatly. As a result, it sold few copies, was never picked up by distributors or bookstores, and was a sales failure. Today, it is a cult classic. 

More Recently:  The book is now being offered at Amazon by Dianne Dalbey at forty dollars a copy. Dalbey somehow obtained multiple copies of the book and *allegedly* was interviewed by Cooper researcher Bruce Smith. You would have to ask him about all that, but Dalbey somehow managed to obtain copies from a source OTHER than Amazon, since the book at Amazon (before Dalbey came along) typically sold for about $170 a copy..."

Simple Costilla One says: I guess I'm developing an idea that Cooper was a smart-aleck type who has been goading the FBI for beating them. This is how I choose to interpret the Tena Bar money as well - That Cooper planted the money several years later to goad the investigators. And if you were the type of person who could pull off this type of event and enjoyed watching the puzzlement and confusion through news reports, then 3 packets of 20's (er, $5800) wouild be well worth the price. And how could you ask for a better outcome than to have provided that thrill of discovery to a 10yo (and eventually a payday).

Robert says: You are closer to the truth than you think. But the money was probably not PLANTED at the spot it was found, but dredged to the riverbank by one of the barges working the river. The spot it was found is the same location where they dumped the dredge spoils in that area. My theory is that Cooper decided to toss a portion of the ransom money into the Columbia River, probably inside a bag or something similar, in hopes it would be found and make the FBI believe he was dead. And I think this was done AFTER November 24, 1976, when the Statute of Limitations on Cooper was SUPPOSED to expire. It did NOT expire because the Portland FBI got up in front of a friendly Federal judge and managed to bypass the Statute with a John Doe warrant. This enabled them to continue looking for Cooper. Forever. When they did this, it was BIG NEWS all over the Northwest and Cooper certainly heard about it. It made the TV news because prior to that date, the news people were doing a sort of countdown to the Statute. Some people thought Cooper might actually come forward, being free and clear of prosecution. But the FBI played a bit of a dirty trick on him by getting around the Constitution on him. This may have made Cooper desperate enough to try a red herring not long afterward. 

The money was found miles west of the actual flight path. Some people have asked, "Why didn't he just dump some in the woods ON the flight path?" Easy answer:  Because it would NOT have fooled the FBI. They would have searched the area. Finding no body, no chute, no briefcase, etc they would know the money was either a plant, or Cooper dropped it there. The idea of the river dump was GENIUS, because there was no way to tell much about how it got there...unless Cooper went splash into the Columbia further upstream. And if Cooper's point was to fool the FBI into thinking he was dead...IT WORKED. Not long after its discovery, the FBI started saying the money showed Cooper probably died in the jump, and they started cutting back the budget on the investigation. They kept it open, but scaled back the budget for it a bit. 

Side Note:  Do NOT listen to those people who try to tell you that Cooper actually landed near Tina Bar and that's how the money arrived. Total bullshit. The authorities had a few hours to prepare for the takeoff in Seattle while they were delivering the money and the chutes. When that flight left Seattle, it was being tracked by ATC radar, SAGE radar, (same stuff they used to track incoming missile threats to the USA), two jets out of McChord AFB, and at least one other tracking aircraft. They knew where Flight 305 was every second after it left Seattle. 

First Officer Bill Rataczak, from an interview later about the hijacking:
"We know where Cooper jumped. We just don't know where he landed..."

Amount of time to reach the ground, standard definition, from 10,000 feet:

'From 10,000 feet, you'll be in freefall for around 30 seconds, (followed by 3 to 4 minutes under parachute as you come in to land.)

If Cooper had actually drifted to Tina Bar, which would be seven to ten miles off the actual flight path, he would have to be drifting WEST at more than sixty miles an hour AFTER his chute inflated. Cooper investigator '377,' a guy with thousands of jumps under his belt, has said the idea of Cooper drifting from the flight path to Tina Bar from a 10,000 foot exit is patently impossible. Mark M (377) says a mile or two at most is likely. And he should know. Even if Cooper pulled right away, that much drift is nearly impossible. Mark and I have speculated that since Cooper was not wearing a reserve, that he may have pulled the ripcord and allowed the chute to 'squid' out, inflate, and pull him right off the stairs, just in case it didn't open. If it doesn't open, he can go back into the aircraft and try the OTHER chute that was still unopened and available. This is a reasonable jump. The C-9 canopy was used by jet pilots and other military to bail from aircraft going at least as fast as that 727 was going, or even faster. Later, a 727 or two were adapted to take civilian jumpers as well. So bailing from one is no big deal. Richard Floyd McCoy made it to the ground safely, and he jumped from a higher altitude, a faster speed, and carrying 2 and 1/2 times the money Cooper got. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Coopy said:

Here are some 3d Models of Cooper based on sketch.  He seems to have a very distinctive face and that is maybe why Tina seems to have a very good remembrance of what he looked like.

Coop3d.jpg

This is a very interesting approach that I have not seen before. It goes to show that having many ideas and perspectives can be a good thing. The reality is that most of the crew interaction would have been seeing Cooper from the side or above, yet the only drawings we have are from the front. A side view might have been helpful. Here is McCoy for reference showing how different a side and front view are. Good out of the box thinking. 

3DA29AF3-48BD-4144-BD7F-08B94BAC63E1.jpeg

(edited)
21 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

It goes to show that having many ideas and perspectives can be a good thing.

If I remember correctly.  Tina described Cooper as having olive skin and maybe of hispanic origins.  I can see that in the angled view especially the views with a prominent nose.

I can also see him as having Mediterranean ancestry or even of darker skin German origin.  He could have a western European look also and skin color.

If Cooper was from overseas and went back after the jump, the case would have been much harder to solve.

Edited by Coopy

(edited)

What the FBI needs to do is release some files showing where some of the witnesses were shown pictures of McCoy, or yes, Hahneman perhaps, and what these witnesses said about them, yay or nay. You'd think they would do this. They MUST have, you would think. 

EDIT: Someone at the Q and A website 'Quora' asked HOW COME they didn't catch Cooper?

This was my best answer, or at least what I could fit into a single article for Quora.

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, CooperNWO305 said:

A side view might have been helpful. Here is McCoy for reference showing how different a side and front view are. Good out of the box thinking. 

A coincidental thought about McCoy...

McCoy was born in Kinston North Carolina (tobacco country) and grew up in nearby Cove City NC, both in eastern NC, about 1.5 hour drive to Raleigh, NC the Capitol.

Cooper Smoked cheap Raleigh Cigarettes on the plane.  Raleigh, NC and Raleigh Cigarettes named after Sir Walter Raleigh.

RJ Reynolds, the maker of Raleigh Cigarettes is based in Winston Salem, NC.

Sir Walter Raleigh tried to establish the first colony in North Carolina which unfortunately became known as the Lost Colony.

The FBI had potentially the best Cooper evidence left on the plane that became known as the lost Raleigh cigarette butts. FWIW

Butts lost in Las Vegas field Office article, 2017....quote below..

"the saliva buried within the fibers of the eight Raleigh filter-tipped king-size cigarette butts is the best chance we, and the FBI, have to determine who Cooper was. Memo to the bureau: we need to find those butts."

https://www.thedailybeast.com/db-cooper-fbi-lost-key-evidence-that-could-identify-thief

Edited by Coopy

18 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

What the FBI needs to do is release some files showing where some of the witnesses were shown pictures of McCoy, or yes, Hahneman perhaps, and what these witnesses said about them, yay or nay. You'd think they would do this. They MUST have, you would think. 

EDIT: Someone at the Q and A website 'Quora' asked HOW COME they didn't catch Cooper?

This was my best answer, or at least what I could fit into a single article for Quora.

One of the McCoy files that is posted at The DB Cooper Forum, says that the 3 stewardesses said that McCoy's picture was "not identical" to Cooper. There were 2 other witnesses that indicated a "strong resemblance" and would not rule him out. I think this is from File #2.

As far as why Cooper wasn't caught, he lost the money. It's that simple. Whoever he was, he didn't have that sudden influx of money that most people think Cooper must have had. So no one noticed anything different about him. No red flags. That's my best guess as to why he was never caught.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Coopy said:

A coincidental thought about McCoy...

McCoy was born in Kinston North Carolina (tobacco country) and grew up in nearby Cove City NC, both in eastern NC, about 1.5 hour drive to Raleigh, NC the Capitol.

Cooper Smoked cheap Raleigh Cigarettes on the plane.  Raleigh, NC and Raleigh Cigarettes named after Sir Walter Raleigh.

RJ Reynolds, the maker of Raleigh Cigarettes is based in Winston Salem, NC.

Sir Walter Raleigh tried to establish the first colony in North Carolina which unfortunately became known as the Lost Colony.

The FBI had potentially the best Cooper evidence left on the plane that became known as the lost Raleigh cigarette butts. FWIW

Butts lost in Las Vegas field Office article, 2017....

https://www.thedailybeast.com/db-cooper-fbi-lost-key-evidence-that-could-identify-thief

Not exactly..

Brown and Williamson made Raleigh's, headquartered in Louisville KY.. was sold to B. A. T. in the 20's.

In 2004 R J Reynolds and Brown and Williamson merged. Prior they were rivals.

For his hijacking, Hahneman had a pack of Viceroy's but he demanded 2000 Benson and Hedges... 

Viceroy and Raleigh are both filtered, 85mm, made by B & W, the difference was the marketing.. Raleigh had the coupon program. In the 60's, Viceroy was primarily smoked by women until a new marketing program aimed to redefine them using auto racing sponsorships... 

"In the 1970s, Brown & Williamson realised that the cigarette brand was mainly smoked by women and couples because the Viceroy brand was "less masculine than its key competition" and the brand had a "feminine orientation" according to internal documents. From the early 1970s onwards, B&W started to sponsor the brand via the Vel's Parnelli Jones Racing team in autosport championships such as the United States Auto Club and Formula 1 to give the brand a more "masculine" additude, similar to Marlboro"

What is interesting is 7 cigarette butts found indicated they were Raleigh's, one was not Id'd but assumed to be a Raleigh. Tina smoked at least one cigarette. There were no prints found on them.

McCoy was not Cooper. Calame and Rhodes wrote a book trying to make the case that McCoy was Cooper.. it is clear McCoy was not. So, why would a couple of smart guys with inside info make the claim? IMO, they knew he wasn't Cooper but wanted to convince everybody Cooper (McCoy) had died. 

Edited by FLYJACK