47 47
quade

DB Cooper

2 hours ago, WalterRaleigh said:

He also had Sir Walter Raleigh brand pipe cleaners, a map of Spokane (and a map of Reno), and a pair of wrap around sunglasses.

and tried to blow up a 727 in 1978. If he was a smidge older and didn't have such a prominent jawline, he'd actually be worth investigating as Coop. But his jaw was damn near as squared off as Richard Kiel's. That wouldn't escape notice. 

• Like 1

(edited)
3 hours ago, olemisscub said:

and tried to blow up a 727 in 1978. If he was a smidge older and didn't have such a prominent jawline, he'd actually be worth investigating as Coop. But his jaw was damn near as squared off as Richard Kiel's. That wouldn't escape notice. 

As I understand this (having talked to locals) Ted was in trouble and suspected of committing crimes, almost from the minute Ted's brother David moved Ted into the cabin. David was aware that Ted was 'a problem' and that had been going on for years with his brother - but what to do? The reason David bought the cabin and moved Ted into it was not just to give Ted a life, but to keep him isolated from the world and trouble. David was struggling just to keep his own life and family going.

Ted was brought up on local/area charges several times where he lived, prior to him being identified as the Unabomber. Charges against him always failed due to 'lack of proof'. (poisoning people's dogs, dropping boulders on railroad tracks, destruction of railroad property, various thefts in the area ...etc...) ... in spite of all of that Ted continued to circulate in the local community and as far away as Helena where he went out of his way to meet a reporter at a Helena newspaper (a former classmate of mine at SUI !). Ted was out there in the public domain, well known ... several people had speculated that he might be ;'DB Cooper' but that was dismissed easily because of Ted's age and his appearance - he did not fit the Cooper profile even remotely. When the FBI finally identified Ted they had to move very quickly and quietly so as not to tip off anyone, including Ted. Their plan for taking Ted down worked or Ted would have fled into the mountains. Ted had fled law enforcement before and had vanished for days ... he always had a survival kit and a gun ready just in case.. on this occasion with the cabin encircled, an Agent just walked up and knocked on the door and Ted answered the door and it was over.

Edited by georger
  • Like 1

I think this has been lightly discussed before, but what the heck, things are quiet.

In the following article from Bruce:
https://themountainnewswa.net/2021/07/14/db-cooper-assessing-the-fbis-45-year-investigation-an-update/

The following snippet references the movie reward and someone who tried to negotiate for it:

" Nevertheless, another “Hail Mary” effort was concocted, pegged to the release of the movie: The Pursuit of DB Cooper. As part of their promotional campaign, Universal Studios announced a $1 million reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of Dan Cooper. However, it didn’t create any leads, directly.

But Hollywood’s offer did flush-out a suspect. An unknown letter-writer – who signed his offer “sincerely not yours, d.b. cooper” – contacted the Bureau and agreed to surrender, but only if he could keep the film’s million-dollar reward. In addition, he wanted his ensuing prison term capped at just one-year – and he demanded placement in a minimum-security federal prison. Nevertheless, “d.b. cooper” offered to repay Northwest Orient the $200,000 ransom.

However, the FBI declined the offer, as per 164-81-8586"

Bruce references the specific FBI file 164-81-8586, anyone know what "part" FBI File this is in ?  Was curious to see what it actually says about Bruce's above report.

1 hour ago, Coopericane said:

It sounds like the FBI dismissed the letter writer as being too young (or old?).

Screenshot 2023-06-30 121116.png

hmmm, I'm not sure this is referring to the same letter (it could be).  But it implies that the FBI made contact with the individual and obtained his age, which I didn't think was the case.  This one seems to be referencing a letter from September which originated from San Francisco.  I think the other letter was post marked from Philadelphia.

Found this reference for the reasoning...

reward_letter_2.JPG

3 hours ago, JAGdb said:

hmmm, I'm not sure this is referring to the same letter (it could be).  But it implies that the FBI made contact with the individual and obtained his age, which I didn't think was the case.  This one seems to be referencing a letter from September which originated from San Francisco.  I think the other letter was post marked from Philadelphia.

Found this reference for the reasoning...

reward_letter_2.JPG

Hmm. I'd always assumed it was referring to that same letter since it's the only place in the 302s with the number code Bruce refers to. But you're right that those details don't match up. Perhaps some further digging is in order.

20 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Well, I found a massive error in the investigation.. 

Over 50 years and nobody caught it.

It means that the ground search was in the wrong area.

The hijacking occurred in India - not in the United States !

( couldn't resist)

2 hours ago, georger said:

The hijacking occurred in India - not in the United States !

( couldn't resist)

No, 

I discovered that the ground search area was based on a gross error, Soderlind and the FBI  weren't responsible for the error but never caught it. 

Basically, Cooper's LZ is about 95% outside the ground search area. They did canvass door to door in a wider area but the comprehensive ground search area was based on an error.

This is a game changer,,

It isn't speculation or conjecture, I have the receipts. 

(edited)
18 hours ago, Math of Insects said:

This is the toxic side of this forum and one of the reasons I decided to stop posting new research,,,,

Insect contributes nothing but tries to discredit those that do..

For everybody else, the case has shifted, after 50 years primary case information has been discovered to be an error..

The ground search was in the wrong area, if Cooper pulled his LZ was 95% outside that area. If he was a no pull he was under the flight path and likely discovered..

Don't be an Insect, incorporate this info into your case knowledge, I am sure it will be explained in due time.

This is not suspect specific and I am still working through the ramifications..

Edited by FLYJACK

On 7/4/2023 at 1:43 AM, FLYJACK said:

<> a massive error in the investigation.. <> the ground search was in the wrong area.

Dear Flyjack, many thanks. May we ask what was the nature of the error? And, could you post a map or sketch of the hijacker's landing zone, as you now perceive it?

1 hour ago, DFS346 said:

Dear Flyjack, many thanks. May we ask what was the nature of the error? And, could you post a map or sketch of the hijacker's landing zone, as you now perceive it?

I can't reveal it publicly yet,, it may come up at CooperCon.

I've been processing it and working on a revised LZ map based on Soderlind's analysis and correcting the error..

It was a simple mistake (not by the FBI or Soderlind) that nobody caught and it puts the LZ outside the ground search area.

All analysis of the LZ has to be tossed and redone.

and it is not the FP..

(edited)

Years ago, I suggested that the wind direction was possibly wrong but no proof. The FBI discussed this possibility in 1973 and established and planned new small area for a ground search, that area was never searched.

The new error I discovered confirms 100% that the wind direction used in the LZ analysis was wrong.

This is my revised LZ..

The most likely LZ is the top red triangle.

Then the probability diminishes as you move south in the quadrants.

1140057931_ScreenShot2023-07-06at9_53_13AM.png.de6459fb0e683500d8a10b2b01a16f99.png

981475968_ScreenShot2023-07-06at7_35_55AM.png.3af30c1111efcbab75a506f5b7e6f72f.png

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FLYJACK said:

Years ago, I suggested that the wind direction was possibly wrong but no proof. The FBI discussed this possibility in 1973 and established and planned new small area for a ground search, that area was never searched.

The new error I discovered confirms 100% that the wind direction used in the LZ analysis was wrong.

This is my revised LZ..

The most likely LZ is the top red triangle.

Then the probability diminishes as you move south in the quadrants.

1140057931_ScreenShot2023-07-06at9_53_13AM.png.de6459fb0e683500d8a10b2b01a16f99.png

981475968_ScreenShot2023-07-06at7_35_55AM.png.3af30c1111efcbab75a506f5b7e6f72f.png

Are you saying the FBI didn't do any new ground searches in 1973?