11 11
quade

DB Cooper

3 hours ago, Nicholas Broughton said:

The DZ is still there, I didn’t think the log books would help after I learned the guy didn’t jump but it just occurred to me that if the log books are still around I could check the names of everybody who jumped on that day and interview them. I’m going to find out if there are log books still around from 71.

This case is very stale.  Something like that could really make a difference.  Good luck.

Might be worth a look at the logbooks. Your easiest method is to bring a camera, or use your smart phone to take pictures of the pages. You are talking about a LOT Of pages in that 1971 book, assuming they still have it. (or have THEM, if there is more than one) Easier if someone turns and holds the pages for you. 

On another note, I see that World Famous Nick's (tavern) in Amboy, WA is taking the reins on the annual Cooper Day party, since Bryan Woodruff at the Ariel Store hasn't been able to finance the restoration of the Ariel Store and start up the party again. All Nick needs is some DB Cooper paraphernalia and he's good to go. 

Thanksgiving is always tough for me to get out because my mother in law either comes up HERE to visit, or I have to go DOWN THERE. So I probably can't show to Nick's next year. However, I have offered up a few hundred bucks to him in Amazon gift cards, should he decide to hold a DB Cooper character (means Cooper, stews, crew, etc as usual) Lookalike Contest. I can just mail those to him if he wishes. 

We've scheduled up the first Cooper Campout for 2020. No one signed up via Facebook yet, but a couple of email inquiries via our Meetups (contact box) page at AB have come in. No sweat. It's still four months out and much easier to organize than some other things. A few of the 'regulars' have already expressed an interest, depending on the weather. Too far out to commit for sure. 

Someone asked at Quora who was the best airline pilot in history. 

There are plenty who could claim that crown. My vote went to Paul Soderlind at Northwest (Orient) Airlines. He's the guy, who along with his team, are most responsible for the current 'flight path map' on DB Cooper. But that was only a small part of his career. 

This is WHY.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:15 PM, Nicholas Broughton said:

The DZ is still there, I didn’t think the log books would help after I learned the guy didn’t jump but it just occurred to me that if the log books are still around I could check the names of everybody who jumped on that day and interview them. I’m going to find out if there are log books still around from 71.

There have been many management/ownership changes since those days, and all the facilities/buildings are different, I wouldn't expect them to have records that far back. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Edited by dudeman17

9 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Are there any videos posted anywhere from the recent Cooper Con? I'd be interested to hear Mark 377's presentation.

Statement was issued prior to the event that EU couldn't afford any video. (Probably due to the costs of renting the theater, etc...yeah, understandable.) I have no idea why no one bothered to bring a video camera or try using their smartphone. 

I have a report that the figure of 100 people or so in attendance was a bit of a exaggeration. If not, more power to them. If it is...next time make tickets available at the door. At EU's website it said tickets were not available at the door. Sometimes people decide to come at the last minute, or by what they see on the marquee. 

If they exaggerated on the number of attendees, I'm not going to fault them for doing that. Hell...I once said about sixty people showed up at the Auburn Avenue Theater for one of our Cooper events there, when the real figure was more like 40-45. We did have some drifters in and out from the festival, but no more than 45 seats were ever occupied that day at the same time. 

As far as the Cooper Campouts, it isn't hard to fill 12 slots, with Greg and I (and sometimes Tom E from Infamous Nissan) taking the other slots. All this time...all those campouts...and I thought the limit was 14 or so for group camps via US Forest Service. So we foolishly turned some people down who applied to go at previous campouts. Just recently, I found it is actually a 75-person limit. A real DUH on my part. I have expanded slots to 25 for the next trip. I can't DO 75...I have to feed them all BBQ on Saturdays LOL. And doing that on a camping trip where you have to pack everything into two trucks in a single trip is different from holding an event in civilization, where you can feed as many as you have money to do. I suppose if I quit offering the free Saturday BBQ on these trips, we could take all 75, but we have 'repeat customers' who EXPECT us to put up for the Saturday meal. Oh, well. :(

EDIT: Greg the Techie Guy says maybe we should advertise that only the first 25 people who register get free BBQ and everyone else has to bring their own...but they can still USE the BBQ unit anyway. That might work. I may try throwing it open to the public completely this time, even though the last time I did that it got a little weird. But that was the trip to Oregon to a place I had not been before. The place selected for the Spring Campout is known to me and security wouldn't be a problem. I will think about it. Until then, the latest information on this Cooper event has been posted to Quora's Everything D.B. Cooper Space. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Around this time of year, Cooper discussions take a back seat to Christmas and the New Year. Around AB of Seattle, it's the same thing...only here we also watch a lot of NFL football and our interests go that way as well. Especially this year, considering the Seattle Seahawks are doing pretty well. 

It's also the time of year we release our report for the previous year, which consists of progress and events in the Cooper case (and the outside things related to it). This will be coming soon to WordPress. 

As far as Christmas goes, I already have a big head start on that thanks to Amazon. People hack on Amazon a lot because they have a habit of putting their competitors out of business. My answer to that is their competitors should upgrade their websites, as well as what they offer on them, and how smoothly that website works. If you've ever searched for something at the WalMart website and then the same item at Amazon...you'll known what I mean. 

I've decided against my better judgment (*laughs*) to make the April Cooper Campout public, but not until the last two weeks prior to the event. I will even do a press release about it at that time. It's a little early for people to commit to something like this, but so far we have two confirmed people coming, both from previous campouts, two NEW folks who have told us they definitely want to go, and Greg the Techie and I doing the setup. When I say 'making it public,' this means I will release the map leading to the rally point near Shelton, WA, and the times and date people should show up there if they plan to go. The EXACT location of the campsite will remain confidential, except to people who already registered. But...the public release will provide a special email address for contact if needed. If anyone arrives 'cold' and late to the rally point...i.e. everyone is already gone from there and headed to the campsite, then it's the CB radio for you or you may as well turn around and head home. (We monitor CB channel 14 ONLY, because it's the only channel where even kiddie walkie talkies get signal. Your best bet is this:  Don't come to the rally point LATE.) 

This is a sort of middle ground for contact, a little less than we did for the Oregon campout. But...anyone who actually sees the public release, or if there is an article in a paper they see...well, all they have to do is be at the rally point on time. This is the best I can do. We have some trust issues going due to some minor threats against the Oregon trip that were allowed to be posted by Bruce Smith at his Mountain News blog. (Bruce does okay articles here and there, but also allows people to post just about anything they want without benefit of sensible moderation.) I once told him this only makes him look bad, and somewhat irresponsible. 

However, a lot of this planning is based on the weather. These spring events are tricky. No way to tell so far in advance regarding the weather. Will it be nice that weekend, or will it pour? Will there still be snow below 2,000 feet? No one can say. For the moment, I will continue to keep the date set to the first weekend in April and keep a close eye on the long range weather reports as the date approaches. I figure that within ten days prior to the event, I will know more about that than I do now. But when we finally commit, then out go the press releases and the public information on the event. 

Greg and I decided that we WILL do the free Saturday BBQ for the first 25 or so people, and anyone beyond that should bring their own stuff for the public BBQ. We can only feed SO many people, especially when everything has to be one-way trucked in. 

We also made a decision to ignore any of the nasty comments that are bound to appear at Bruce Smith's blog. Mostly a bunch of hot air anyway. When the threats came in regarding the Oregon campout, Tom E and I sat across from the original rally point (we had changed it to a place up the road and people waited THERE) for a half=hour at the appointed time. None of the 'threat jerks' actually showed up. We then went to the secondary rally point and proceeded to the campsite. But that was Oregon, to a place we had not gone before. This time we're going to a spot in the Olympics we know extremely well. In fact, it's my favorite spot because it's open, sheltered, and one of the few spots up there where your smartphone actually works. B|

Anyway...I wish everyone reading this a great holiday, and an even better New Year. One thing about Cooper and the Vortex. It may get a bit strange sometimes, but it is never dull. Stay tuned for our report at WordPress, which should be posted in the next day or two, and will cover the events of 2019 that continue to make the whole thing, well...interesting. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 1:32 PM, dudeman17 said:

There have been many management/ownership changes since those days, and all the facilities/buildings are different, I wouldn't expect them to have records that far back. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I called they don’t and I figured as much. My hope is that one of the old timers has them, I’m asking around the community. 

4 hours ago, Nicholas Broughton said:

I called they don’t and I figured as much. My hope is that one of the old timers has them, I’m asking around the community. 

You could try a separate thread maybe. Until this same category, History etc? Probably reach a lot more people with your question than the Cooper thread? 

Side Note: We're still running the '100 Hijackers/100 Days' series over at Quora, from the Brendan Koerner entries. (Yes, we asked permission.) Did you know that someone tried to copycat Cooper about six or seven months later out of the SeaTac Airport? Ha...neither did I. His demands were a bit more reasonable. He only wanted $50,000 and ONE parachute. A complete wacko, he was later committed to a mental institution. On a REALLY weird note...the first two initials in his name are D and B, and his last name starts with a C, as in Carre. (*insert Twilight Zone theme song here*)

I try not to look at the whole series at once. When I get to a hijacker who has later published a book...I've been trying to find and order that book. So far, I have five books that until I started reading Koerner's series...I had never heard of either the book or the hijacker. 'Hijack' by Anthony Bryant has been the best book so far. He's the guy who thought life in Cuba would be great, and said he supported Castro. But he robbed the passengers on the way to Cuba...and one of them was an undercover agent for the Cuban government who had been working in the US. When they landed in Havana, Bryant was shipped off to the cane fields for almost a dozen years before being released. His story is pretty grim. 

HijackBryantcover.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I am not against the Cooper Con event, but I wondered with so many people in attendance, no one thought to bring a video camera or just hold up their smartphone. Claim was a hundred people showed. A few images appeared at Instagram later (including the one below) and that was it. Poor planning at best. (EDIT: Not so much on the event itself, which was reasonably well-planned, but the lack of any recording of it.) By failing to do that, it becomes what newspapers call, 'Journalism written in water'. Maybe next time they will do YouTube.  

Actually...the term Everything D.B. Cooper has already been taken. It's the name of the Quora Space on DB Cooper established in November 2018 that currently has over 1,700 followers. I don't mind sharing, although coming up with something more original for next year would probably be a good idea. It's just free advertising for the Quora Space on Cooper. Click on picture to see what I mean. ;)
AlreadyDoneCC2019text.jpg.170dc55fe090c9d5c4fcc9213d2f0ee0.jpg

Over at AB of Seattle, we're already planning our own Cooper event, but so far less than a dozen folks have signed to go, and two of those people are yours truly and Greg the Techie Guy. We don't expect more than twenty total, but unlike our other Cooper Campouts, this time we will go ahead and do a video to show folks what actually goes on during these things.

Previously, we took pictures and videos privately, but we had some concern that certain people in Cooperland, such as Bruce Smith and others, would start hounding the attendees. So we never made that material public. We may later...depends on circumstances. Frankly, once an official announcement is posted in the trades about the upcoming Cooper-based movie, then all bets are off and we will release some of this material. On previous campouts we warned people who showed up this could happen, (hounding by other Cooperites if they went public) although we couldn't stop them from doing their own pictures and video if they wished. I know some of all that is out there on the internet, but I refuse to link people to any of it. If you stumble upon any of it, try not to be too hard on them. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Seen on a related website, and my answer to this question:

'Sluggo's site had a good summary of the airways, but I have not been able to track it down on Wayback Machine or another site. If anyone has a link, please provide it.  I thought there was some talk about bringing it back up.  $1200 was a price I think I remember, but it really would cost quite a bit less, and I think some of us could chip in and get it back up...'

NEfvENG.jpg

Don't waste your money! Just pick a new dot com and go get the material to incorporate. This is much cheaper.

You would only be purchasing the name. NOT the material that is incorporated into the website. That was hosted material and is now gone from whoever the original host was. In other words, buying the domain will NOT restore the material that appeared on it. You just get the right to use the name. 

The good news is that you CAN go to Internet Archive and copy-paste all the material if you wish. How that would work out on the copy-paste, since many website hosts require you to load files individually to THEIR server, I do not know. I have asked Greg the Techie Guy about this and he says it's possible if you know what you're doing. He also says it's a fair amount of work. He says he could do it and make everything work like the original site, but all of us here at AB know that other Cooperites would come out of the woodwork if we did that. And no one would support such an effort. In fact, we think people would try contacting Sluggo, etc. Causing problems. So we will stay out of that trap, although I don't mind telling you how YOU could do it. I will not initiate any action of re-posting the site in its entirety on my own, but if someone else did it first, then we would assist if you wanted. But only if you wanted us to, otherwise no. You probably wouldn't even need Greg anyway. I think Shutter could do it. He's fairly hip on the website stuff. 

AB of Seattle staff copied all the available material when the site first went defunct and we keep everything in a special file on a 128GB flash drive, so we can reference the material from time to time if needed. Took quite a while to do, since there were so many links, maps, pictures, etc. (It was actually Greg who did all of that, not me.) The total material was nowhere near 128 gigs, though. It was overkill. I ended up moving all the files to a smaller flash drive and keeping the 128 for other uses. Like loading movies on it for camping trips. :)

We separated the files into three categories. First, straight screenshots for reference where the links don't work. These are just JPEG's of all pages you can print up and examine to see where everything 'goes'. 

Second, copy/paste into PDF versions where the links DO work, using Adobe Acrobat. (We also did a rather bulky Word version of the site that goes on for a ton of pages.) Third, a separate list of all the links as they would appear if you installed them manually on a page. And where they go. Like I said, it was a lot of work. Using those things, it is possible, although a little difficult, to completely recreate the site from the original. Greg knows much more about all this than I do. (His qualifications: Masters in computer science, types code in several languages at 70WPM, worked a dozen years in testing and development for Microslave, etc etc. To see him do this with code is frankly amazing, by the way.) 

You can find all the screenshots of Sluggo's old site at the Archive. Just pick a day on the calendar list. Since Sluggo made few changes after he first established the site, your best bet is to click on a date within the first year or two the site was active. Here is a LINK TO THE SITE AS IT APPEARED IN 2014.

For the other times the site was recorded by the Archive, you GO to the archive first. Then enter this in the search box:  http://www.n467us.com

I hope this has been some help to the Sluggo fans. I am one of them. In order to recreate the site to the original, the best bet is to buy into a SIMILAR domain name and start from there. You can get that on a yearly basis for a lot less than $1,200. Just buying the name gets you only the name. Only recordings by Internet Archive is where all that material now exists. It is no longer associated with the original server, if that makes any sense. I would recommend webs dot com, (not 'freewebs' or 'web' dot com, but WEBS dot com for a fresh canvas.) You can get a domain there with premium service for less than $150 a year.) Their site editor is WYSIWYG which is really handy. ('What You See Is What You Get') 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

1 hour ago, FLYJACK said:

Found something new,,, for me.

Cooper took the matchbook cover but also wrote notes on it.

matchbookreturn.jpeg.b6dd827c84ba723d4f617c792d6e9b0c.jpeg

Cary Grant in "North by Northwest" wrote notes on a matchbook to his blonde accomplice.  Add that to the list of an unusual number of connections to that movie.

https://dbcooperhijack.com/2019/01/04/d-b-cooper-cary-grant-and-the-1959-film-north-by-northwest/

Flyjack, do you have a release number on the set of documents on the Tina Mucklow-Tacoma comment?   Tied to The Vault or to the Last Master Outlaw FOI docs? Thanks.

Edited by CooperNWO305
added link

53 minutes ago, CooperNWO305 said:

Cary Grant in "North by Northwest" wrote notes on a matchbook to his blonde accomplice.  Add that to the list of an unusual number of connections to that movie.

Flyjack, do you have a release number on the set of documents on the Tina Mucklow-Tacoma comment?   Tied to The Vault or to the Last Master Outlaw FOI docs? Thanks.

The specific "Tacoma" quote from Tina is in the Geoffrey Gray files..

The FBI Foia docs have a vague summary. p 11381

coopersummary.jpeg.cdd6ab1c1e3a57ee6678b001a3042bcf.jpeg.9b76f7814f625143ea182cc2ee918402.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

On 6/25/2019 at 7:11 AM, FLYJACK said:

Found something interesting…

The FBI files show that Cooper used two matchbooks.. One his and one supplied by Tina. Tosaw’s book distinguishes further. According to Tina the matchbook Cooper had said “Earn a High School Diploma” and Tina went to grab company matches from a cabinet.. Cooper recovered and took the first empty matchbook. Sky Chef supplied catering for flights..

That “suggests” the Sky Chef matches did not come from Cooper at all but were grabbed by Tina on the plane.

I found these vintage matchbooks,,  from ICS in Scranton PA.

s-l1600.jpg.96faa55ce67280179c57997a399a6d36.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg.e66e5819a719309c03593757bd0ef36b.jpg

Also from Tosaw’s book.. 

Cooper had 2 drinks.

Money in packets of $2000 strapped in PAPER BANDS and some had additional rubber bands, corroborates Tina, H and Bank letter to FBI..

Cooper offered 2 packets of money to stews, other than Tina.

Cooper demanded flaps down but flight ops was calculating range and they went back and asked Cooper, he then said 15 degrees. 

Soderlind suggested SF or LA, and a second stop in Yuma.. and “Cooper was advised that it wasn’t necessary for the plane to stop anywhere in the US, but in any event he did not want to stop at either SF or LA because those cities were too big.” Reno was suggested by Soderlind and Cooper agreed.

Cooper used TWO matchbooks..

When Tosaw is being accused of lying,, consider the credibility of the source.

A source which has smeared, ridiculed, distorted and lied at some time about virtually everyone related to the Cooper case...

I posted Tosaw's claims, not mine.

Most of those claims are corroborated by other sources, however no book or person is error free.

Let's see..

Tina was in Gresham 1979...

She had previously moved in with her sister and brother in law Lee Dormuth, an FBI agent.

Lee E Dormuth's amateur radio address was at:

xxxx xxxxxxx Rd, Yardley Pa.. from 1972 - 1978. 

1978-1980  it changed to xxxx xxxxxxx Dr, San Diego CA

Lee and Tina's sister placed Tina in Gresham 1978/79 when they moved from PA to San Diego.

Did Lee Dormuth discard the Cooper money into the Columbia 78/79 to protect Tina?? 

Palmer report.. money definitely deposited after 1978.

"Even with this, he still felt the money was not at the site for more than a year. At the height found, the money was definitely deposited more than four years after the dredging of the Columbia River in 1974."

Edited by FLYJACK

Two pictures provided some time ago by Lyle Christiansen:

The first is a photoshopped rendition of KC with hair and sunglasses. In other words, the 'sunglasses' and some hair were ADDED. 

The second are some items in KC's possession, that were left behind at the house in Morris, MN on family visits there by KC. 

No big deal. They are what they are, I suppose. Not trying to 'prove' anything here. I just thought they might be interesting. 

Kenny and items.jpg

Kenny and items2.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins