42 42
quade

DB Cooper

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

This is Comp B, Fly. Also, good looking? He looked like a creep.

E2E21CAB-8640-4F0C-8924-928D6B09DA33.jpeg

8381D267-E057-4539-B671-4FCA603AE583.jpeg

You can't really go by a single image.. is that a passport? It looks odd,,

Look at all the images and videos.. he does not have the homely/geeky look..

But, this is true of other suspects where they may appear very different in various images,, the more the better.

Edited by FLYJACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RMK said:

I haven’t looked at this thread in probably 10 years.  There's now over 59,000 posts here and this is 51 years after the event. 

Find something more productive to do with your life and spare time.  There’s actually shit such as “CooperCon”?  Wow; WTF? 

It’s not exactly a murder case.

Its daily cross word puzzles. People compete to make up the puzzles. Its like watching people at a ball game. It often has no relationship to reality. Its a social game. Like the Mickey Mouse Club.  People are awarded points for the best moves. For example: NickyB @WeSupplyYou in Miami is currently operating as a world class expert in materials science. He traded in his toner cartridges for alloys! ............................ read the Oregonian Newspaper on Monday to find out more. The next great idea may be to hold CoooperCon23 in North Korea combined with an ICBM launch by  Kim Jong-un. CooperCon players may finally receive recognition by CNN in time to run for political office in Arizona. All because of the DB Cooper case. One promoter says Elvis Presley is his idol. A daily cross word puzzle with high stakes ?  It has ceased to have anything to do with the DB Cooper hijacking case. Its crazy.

Edited by georger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, georger said:

Its daily cross word puzzles. People compete to make up the puzzles. Its like watching people at a ball game. It often has no relationship to reality. Its a social game. Like the Mickey Mouse Club.  People are awarded points for the best moves. For example: NickyB @WeSupplyYou in Miami is currently operating as a world class expert in materials science. He traded in his toner cartridges for alloys! ............................ read the Oregonian Newspaper on Monday to find out more. The next great idea may be to hold CoooperCon23 in North Korea combined with an ICBM launch by  Kim Jong-un. CooperCon players may finally receive recognition by CNN in time to run for political office in Arizona. All because of the DB Cooper case. One promoter says Elvis Presley is his idol. A daily cross word puzzle with high stakes ?  It has ceased to have anything to do with the DB Cooper hijacking case. Its crazy.

Is the science necessarily all that complicated, though, for purposes of what Ulis and others are performing? I understand that none of these guys are going to be able to view particles under an electron miscroscope and identify molecules. But GIVEN the knowledge imparted by Kaye, a layman with some free time could take the ball and run with it, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

You can't really go by a single image.. is that a passport? It looks odd,.

Image I found on an archive site in a 60’s Metals magazine. He isn’t named on it but it’s unmistakably him. I was quite surprised to happen upon an unidentified photo of him.


 

 

BF9AEC85-A839-4E7E-A756-D010224832F6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, olemisscub said:

Image I found on an archive site in a 60’s Metals magazine. He isn’t named on it but it’s unmistakably him. I was quite surprised to happen upon an unidentified photo of him.


 

 

BF9AEC85-A839-4E7E-A756-D010224832F6.png

Do you think he wore a toupee later...  his hair seemed to change quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all see what we see. Personally, I think Vordahl is close to both sketch A & B. 

Unlike guys like Christiansen, who some think look like A (I don't see it), but nothing like B. Or Gossett, who looks a lot like B, but nothing like A.

Hell, take away the peak, I think he's close to the Unsolved Mysteries sketch that Schaffner helped with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ParrotheadVol said:

We all see what we see. Personally, I think Vordahl is close to both sketch A & B. 

Unlike guys like Christiansen, who some think look like A (I don't see it), but nothing like B. Or Gossett, who looks a lot like B, but nothing like A.

Hell, take away the peak, I think he's close to the Unsolved Mysteries sketch that Schaffner helped with.

I am not so sure they are all the same guy... 

Hair part changes and the face looks a bit different..

Maybe it is, pics can vary..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic is interesting,, I measured the height from the floor to the lowest part of the stowage shelf, the support part that has the number on it.. and it is about 5' 5" (I measured it on another 727)... so the guy standing under the shelf would be about 5' 9-10"... but that is roughly where Cooper was sitting and with a low shelf it makes it harder to judge height.. Witnesses were 5' 8" to 6' 1".. Cooper would probably have duck to get to the middle seat..

62ACC561-66D4-42D8-9E2F-622286FD4340-1.thumb.jpeg.27345bda7acda666dc8352bedc070843.jpeg.232d9a2ec43e6b52fac171a94df757f6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

I am not so sure they are all the same guy... 

Hair part changes and the face looks a bit different..

Maybe it is, pics can vary..

My god. Give me some credit for God’s sake Fly. I’m not that freaking sloppy to post a pic of the man and it not be him. His photos are so few and far between. We only have like six photos over six months of searching. He has one of the most distinctive mouths I’ve seen. Plus these pics are over decades. 

Left to right, late 1940’s, 1959, 1964

8C7C2DC6-FD7F-4A51-8D40-C735212C06F3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

This pic is interesting,, I measured the height from the floor to the lowest part of the stowage shelf, the support part that has the number on it.. and it is about 5' 5" (I measured it on another 727)... so the guy standing under the shelf would be about 5' 9-10"... but that is roughly where Cooper was sitting and with a low shelf it makes it harder to judge height.. Witnesses were 5' 8" to 6' 1".. Cooper would probably have duck to get to the middle seat..

62ACC561-66D4-42D8-9E2F-622286FD4340-1.thumb.jpeg.27345bda7acda666dc8352bedc070843.jpeg.232d9a2ec43e6b52fac171a94df757f6.jpeg


Can’t even get a like from FlyJack for posting clear high quality sled test pics. I get no respect! Haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sample comments CC22:

level 1
 
DB Cooper Case Proficiency

It's forty bucks a ticket, times three days, and a long drive from where I live. Only a hundred if you buy all three days. That is FOUR TIMES last year's rate, and for last year's gathering about half the people didn't show up the second day even though they paid for both days in advance. (Last year was a TWO-day event, at $20 for both days paid in advance, i.e. ten bucks a day. This time it is FORTY bucks a day.) I have a certain objection to that rate, but I do support the event in spirit and because it is Cooper-related.

 
 
DB Cooper Case Proficiency

Are you kidding me? So now I gotta pay $100 to get told by Bruce to buy his book? I can go do that a dozen times for free on any other DB Cooper site. Only kind of joking.

Boy, what poor old SOB is going to have a distant relative accuse them of being an airplane hijacker in a $20 slapped together e-pub manuscript this year?

Called Carr and he isnt attending - scheduling conflict, he says. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, georger said:

Its daily cross word puzzles. People compete to make up the puzzles. Its like watching people at a ball game. It often has no relationship to reality. Its a social game. Like the Mickey Mouse Club.  People are awarded points for the best moves. For example: NickyB @WeSupplyYou in Miami is currently operating as a world class expert in materials science. He traded in his toner cartridges for alloys! ............................ read the Oregonian Newspaper on Monday to find out more. The next great idea may be to hold CoooperCon23 in North Korea combined with an ICBM launch by  Kim Jong-un. CooperCon players may finally receive recognition by CNN in time to run for political office in Arizona. All because of the DB Cooper case. One promoter says Elvis Presley is his idol. A daily cross word puzzle with high stakes ?  It has ceased to have anything to do with the DB Cooper hijacking case. Its crazy.

 

Edited by Nicholas Broughton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, georger said:

Its daily cross word puzzles. People compete to make up the puzzles. Its like watching people at a ball game. It often has no relationship to reality. Its a social game. Like the Mickey Mouse Club.  People are awarded points for the best moves. For example: NickyB @WeSupplyYou in Miami is currently operating as a world class expert in materials science. He traded in his toner cartridges for alloys! ............................ read the Oregonian Newspaper on Monday to find out more. The next great idea may be to hold CoooperCon23 in North Korea combined with an ICBM launch by  Kim Jong-un. CooperCon players may finally receive recognition by CNN in time to run for political office in Arizona. All because of the DB Cooper case. One promoter says Elvis Presley is his idol. A daily cross word puzzle with high stakes ?  It has ceased to have anything to do with the DB Cooper hijacking case. Its crazy.

It’s zero degrees here in the couve tonight Jerry boi!

775E44DF-AF3D-4717-BF78-D4912C26EE94.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nicholas Broughton said:

It’s zero degrees here in the couve tonight Jerry boi!

775E44DF-AF3D-4717-BF78-D4912C26EE94.jpeg

For those who dont know,  'couve'  refers to Vancouver. https://www.visitvancouverwa.com/blog/post/the-couve/   Arent we fortunate to get this love note from Tom Kaye and Nicky Bee.  

The photo is revealing. How tall is Tom?

Edited by georger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2022 at 6:58 AM, RMK said:

I haven’t looked at this thread in probably 10 years.  There's now over 59,000 posts here and this is 51 years after the event. 

Find something more productive to do with your life and spare time.  There’s actually shit such as “CooperCon”?  Wow; WTF? 

It’s not exactly a murder case.

As per the last sentence, I might respectfully disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dumb question, but do people mixing metals and rare earth elements in labs and experimental situations really just stand there in their suit and tie? If anything I’d expect their ties to be the most spotless, since they’d work in lab coats and PPE—particularly when doing the kinds of work that might send particles flying.

 

This is the precise reason the data are useless without controls.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all, nice to see the famous names from the podcast...

I notice some resemblance for Vordahl, but surely the age is a concern? Plus, wasn't Cooper described as athletic by witnesses? Can't imagine many 57 year-old men being perceived/described that way in 1971, unless they're Jack LaLanne or something.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Math of Insects said:

Dumb question, but do people mixing metals and rare earth elements in labs and experimental situations really just stand there in their suit and tie? If anything I’d expect their ties to be the most spotless, since they’d work in lab coats and PPE—particularly when doing the kinds of work that might send particles flying.

 

This is the precise reason the data are useless without controls.

 

The tie particles are being over played... even Tom isn't buying it.. the particles are not confirmed to be an alloy or attributable to any single environment. Ti was not that rare.. the takeaway from the tie is not a specific particle but the wide range of particles..

Vordahl was a PHD with 80 or so Ti patents, if he was wearing that tie it at work it would be dominated with Ti..  it wasn't.. the analogy is to find fried chicken on a tie and claim it was worn by Colonel Sanders..

One source I have been noodling for some of the particles may have been plane's air bleed system.. some of the exhaust particles end up in the cabin.. the engines had titanium fins..

There was also pure Ti ducting around the lav area that was mechanically combined with SS parts..

The tie may have picked up particles in the plane if it was laid down in lav or from the seat, maybe it was dropped on the floor or used to wipe a surface..

A worthwhile test would have been to collect dust inside a 727 that flies with the bulkhead door open and middle engine exposed to the cabin.. but that isn't going to happen.

There are so many possibilities I don't think the tie particles will be solved other than general theories..

 

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

The tie particles are being over played... even Tom isn't buying it.. the particles are not confirmed to be an alloy or attributable to any single environment. Ti was not that rare.. the takeaway from the tie is not a specific particle but the wide range of particles..

Vordahl was a PHD with 80 or so Ti patents, if he was wearing that tie it at work it would be dominated with Ti..  it wasn't.. the analogy is to find fried chicken on a tie and claim it was worn by Colonel Sanders..

One source I have been noodling for some of the particles may have been plane's air bleed system.. some of the exhaust particles end up in the cabin.. the engines had titanium fins..

There was also pure Ti ducting around the lav area that was mechanically combined with SS parts..

The tie may have picked up particles in the plane if it was laid down in lav or from the seat, maybe it was dropped on the floor or used to wipe a surface..

A worthwhile test would have been to collect dust inside a 727 that flies with the bulkhead door open and middle engine exposed to the cabin.. but that isn't going to happen.

There are so many possibilities I don't think the tie particles will be solved other than general theories..

 

Yes. I have said all along that the most obvious reason that the tie might have particles related to the aircraft industry, is that it was found in an aircraft.

 

It also encountered the ‘chutes, which themselves had been in numerous aircraft and related environments.

 

Again: a simple and obvious set of control groups would address this very easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Math of Insects said:

Yes. I have said all along that the most obvious reason that the tie might have particles related to the aircraft industry, is that it was found in an aircraft.

 

It also encountered the ‘chutes, which themselves had been in numerous aircraft and related environments.

 

Again: a simple and obvious set of control groups would address this very easily.

It is frustrating that essentially financial resources hold this back. Think about if the Discovery and/or Travel Channel had not jumped in, at some point? Think about if there were not Tom Kaye? This is probably what frustrates and/or fascinates many about this case - the idea that the answers are in reach, given the desire by people or agencies of means to actually solve it.

But the ones who have graciously stepped in have only been able to move the ball forward incrementally and arguably left more questions than answers in their wake, to no fault of their own.

Edited by Eight Raleighs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

42 42