47 47
quade

DB Cooper

10 hours ago, Slim King said:

Listening now .. What a great resource .... Thanks.. Looks like they have no evidence that the bills were identified before destruction .. In about 8 years. So after listening to the complete podcast there is no proof that the serial numbers were ever checked before the $20's were destroyed, which is usually around 8 years. So by 1979 most of these bills would have been destroyed without anyone checking the serial numbers.

Not exactly, the bill numbers were widely distributed,, there was a reward and they were published in newspapers.. there was some checking.

The fact that no bills ever turned up in circulation suggests they were never spent but does not prove it. There is no evidence they ever entered circulation.

36 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Not exactly, the bill numbers were widely distributed,, there was a reward and they were published in newspapers.. there was some checking.

The fact that no bills ever turned up in circulation suggests they were never spent but does not prove it. There is no evidence they ever entered circulation.

yeah, at the end of the day, this matter--money entering or not entering circulation, is kind of a circumstantial dead end.  We can't draw any hard conclusion one way or another about it.  You can make a case that it is supports that the hijacker died or lived on either scenario. Not saying to ignore it, just framing the investigative value of it.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, FLYJACK said:

Guy finds buried money,,

bills dated 1934

sealed in a jar in a spot which was in a house crawlspace.. DRY SPOT

wrapped in something like burlap and rubber bands intact.. WHAT..

bills look very good.

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/2022/07/jersey-shore-buried-cash-enigma-deepens-with-discovery-of-more-money.html

Yes, this was in the news in NJ about a month or so back:

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/2022/07/mysterious-buried-cash-dated-1934-unearthed-in-jersey-shore-renovation.html

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/2022/07/jersey-shore-buried-cash-enigma-deepens-with-discovery-of-more-money.html

If you keep the money dry, it can survive surprisingly well.  Wonder what the state of the rubber bands were in terms of elasticity? 

There are some close up pictures of the money rolls and rubber bands in the links above.

Edited by JAGdb
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAGdb said:

Yes, this was in the news in NJ about a month or so back:

https://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/2022/07/mysterious-buried-cash-dated-1934-unearthed-in-jersey-shore-renovation.html

If you keep the money dry, it can survive surprisingly well.  Wonder what the state of the rubber bands were in terms of elasticity? 

That suggests that the Cooper money could have been stored someplace until 78 or 79 then deposited at TBAR..

In other words, we still can't determine the year the money was deposited..

(edited)

Look how close this bill is.. it was submitted to the BEP due to termite damage.

L73433712B is a Cooper bill

the 12 means it is an L bill

This one is an L?3433712(C?)

I finally determined this bill was 1988-93.

20billmutilated.jpeg.4eccdd55d9056aa2560795753cceafdb.jpeg

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)
4 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

That suggests that the Cooper money could have been stored someplace until 78 or 79 then deposited at TBAR..

In other words, we still can't determine the year the money was deposited..

agree... Tom must now do tests to produce conditions for gooey bands ... anyone got temperature charts for Vancouver and the whole area north to Ariel for early 1972?   I thought this should have been covered years ago.

This could be the first evidence of money transportation post hijacking. We already know the LZ and Tena Bar do not dovetail. Now we have money facts requiring two different environments ? The problem is its taken years to get to this point! 

2-  another lingering problem is there are two different accounts for where the Ingrams found the money. Harold's location/account vs Crystal Ingram's location/account, which may be the location where agents found their 'fragment field' closer to the waterline ?  H chose to go with Harold's account. Why? 

3- Carr does not like 'minutia' ?   Then he is in the wrong business ! 

Edited by georger

(edited)
6 hours ago, Slim King said:

Dick Briggs would have been KING of the Portland Underworld if he'd lived long enough to take credit for being D. B. Cooper. Everyone would have wanted to buy their coke from him...party with him ... just hang out with DB COOPER!!!! Hindsight is 20/20 ... How much did the Ingram family profit over the years?

No one would have ever believed that Dick Briggs was DB Coper. No one.

No one with half a brain that is.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

(edited)
1 hour ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I don't recall. I think it was in the last set of 302's that were released.

It may have gone out to more than one, one of the newspapers was The Oregon Journal I believe.  They also sent it out to hotels, motel...even liquor stores...

db-cooper-ransom-list-1.JPG

Edited by JAGdb

11 minutes ago, JAGdb said:

It may have gone out to more than one, one of the newspapers was The Oregon Journal I believe.  They also sent it out to hotels, motel...even liquor stores...

db-cooper-ransom-list-1.JPG

He was asking which newspaper was offering a reward for the first Cooper 20 that was found. I don't recall which newspaper it was, but I think I saw it in the most recent 302 dump. I just haven't had the chance to go back and find it. Been covered up with work.

15 minutes ago, ParrotheadVol said:

He was asking which newspaper was offering a reward for the first Cooper 20 that was found. I don't recall which newspaper it was, but I think I saw it in the most recent 302 dump. I just haven't had the chance to go back and find it. Been covered up with work.

ahhh, ok...well I believe the The Oregon Journal was offering a reward.  Not sure if they were the only one, see below.

db-cooper-ransom-list-2.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slim King said:

So if you find a bag with $200,000 you get to turn one in for $1,000... ??? Is that it?

well, $1000 in 1971 was like ~$7000 today.  So if you did have the whole bag of $200k, you give them one bill...get the extra grand and figure out how to spend the rest carefully or erase/alter the serial number with that trick you were talking about !  :p

(edited)
6 hours ago, Slim King said:

Time for a new LZ.

It isnt going to be the Columbia .... the new band evidence now requires a hot dry environment for most of 1972. Sorry Chaucer. Kind of a ah-ha moment. Discussions on the phone today re- Crystal vs. Harold versions of the location and circumstances of the find. It was Harold who was taken to TBar to identify the find location. His version became accepted version. Now it turns out Crystal;'s version dovetails with where the fragment field was actually found. Agents and I had interesting conversations today! Stay tuned. Forensics of the money may be starting to pay off which was the original goal.

Edited by georger

(edited)

Some more examples of Dan Cooper comic images around Seattle..

In the 60's the author was in the Seattle area and Florida.. Theoretically, Cooper could have met him in the US and never read the comics.. but I still think it is a coincidence.

Monorail

580877299_ScreenShot2022-08-30at6_00_04PM.png.950e6b75cb7186b601d99598537eef57.png

Space Needle

1998336026_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_56_55PM.png.4fedf04b500743514d5f3b70ce51def6.png

Interstate I5 and Space Needle

633281574_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_51_09PM.png.15231c7f2625ea02d0ff25d3a5a1c766.png

Boeing factory Everett

1412220917_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_48_55PM.png.2ea48268e7be54f83a8760aa67bd2cae.png

Ye Olde Curiosity shop inside "the thing" depicted was actually there.

1926197525_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_50_26PM.png.7bcddcc9130eda611b213977a2539dae.png

IMG_1368.thumb.jpg.3b77a8aa4885bd3a47e7f8ffb52b81d9.jpg

Curiosity Shop

349619985_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_54_15PM.png.1dc115b6529a21d0ea29145a2a0854c3.png

Boeing Field

243590713_ScreenShot2022-08-30at5_46_35PM.png.0bb9036a4668bf814603f0b27e7c4fea.png

Edited by FLYJACK
  • Like 1

(edited)
4 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Some more examples of Dan Cooper comic images around Seattle..

In the 60's the author was in the Seattle area and Florida.. Theoretically, Cooper could have met him in the US and never read the comics.. but I still think it is a coincidence.

Monorail

580877299_ScreenShot2022-08-30at6_00_04PM.png.950e6b75cb7186b601d99598537eef57.png

Carr talked to Weinberg but not Jean-Michel Charlier (name sp?) but nothing came of the conversation ? Correct?

What was the dare devil Dan Cooper's background?  Hobbies?   Skiing?   Growing cabbages ?  Beautiful women ?  Dan Cooper's politics ?  Religion ?  Criminal history ?   ...................... in short, Dan's Cooper's vita.

Any demography on Dan Cooper readership ?  Intellectuals vs working class people ?

Has Edwards commented about the comic ? 

Edited by georger

34 minutes ago, georger said:

Carr talked to Weinberg but not Jean-Michel Charlier (name sp?) but nothing came of the conversation ? Correct?

What was the dare devil Dan Cooper's background?  Hobbies?   Skiing?   Growing cabbages ?  Beautiful women ?  Dan Cooper's politics ?  Religion ?  Criminal history ?   ...................... in short, Dan's Cooper's vita.

Any demography on Dan Cooper readership ?  Intellectuals vs working class people ?

Has Edwards commented about the comic ? 

Gray interviewed Weinberg, not sure about Carr...  but nothing came of it, he had no idea who the hijacker could be.

Good documentary on the comic, you can set subtitles to translate to english

• Like 1

Well look what I found today! An actual photo of Alyce Gorley Hancock. Funny that we've been misspelling her name this whole time. Perhaps she went by Alice at the time or maybe that was just newspaper folks reporting it that way, but the FBI recorded it that way as well. Nevertheless, she goes by Alyce to this day. 

Alyce.jpg

• Like 1

Below is a decent read regarding the background and some of the history of the Dan Copper comic, as well as some similar genre comics at the time, their authors and even some of the historical context of the time...heck, it even discusses the SAGE radar system as well as how NORAD came to be.  

https://ingeniumcanada.org/channel/articles/a-prolific-belgian-bande-dessinee-author-who-deserves-to-be-better-known-the-0

Edited by JAGdb

10 hours ago, olemisscub said:

Well look what I found today! An actual photo of Alyce Gorley Hancock. Funny that we've been misspelling her name this whole time. Perhaps she went by Alice at the time or maybe that was just newspaper folks reporting it that way, but the FBI recorded it that way as well. Nevertheless, she goes by Alyce to this day. 

Alyce.jpg

Looks like someone who might be able to tell the difference between a 28 year old man and a 45 year old one.

10 hours ago, olemisscub said:

Alyce.jpg

There were not many pics of her..

90.jpeg.8415fe120262c65d023838b1d7cda978.jpeg