47 47
quade

DB Cooper

I've been reading some old news articles. I'm not a jumper but I can tell expertise when I see it.

Can see how Cossey was a hell of a dude. Probably still is. I can imagine FBI wasted a lot of time on him because they couldn't tell the difference between a good guy and a bad guy.

I remember Ckret posted way back the chain of people that called each other before Cossey got called for chutes. Totally random connections. Must have been weird for Cossey all these years to have been thrown into this mess thru no fault of his own...just trying to help out that night. Sounds like he's learned to have his own fun with it though. Good for him!

If he did put an instruction sheet in, that sure speaks to his character I think. A rigger isn't going to let someone die accidently, I would think.

At the very least Cossey would have known no novice
would pass his "open this parachute" test! Maybe the
instruction sheet was to convince Cooper to give up.

I was curious about what 377 might be related to.
Scouring the net, I found an email address and fired off an email...I guess it was the wrong 377..this was his response:

"No, sorry. The phrase, "Sluggo_monster" has no meaning to me..

As to the numerals, "377," the only significance in my mind and memory is for U. S. Highway 377, which runs generally northward through Central and North Texas. I have spent many hours on that road, both for business and pleasure. I once participated in an exchange of gunfire on that highway. The outcome was favorable to me: There were no lasting injuries and two went to prison.

I never gave any thought to any numerological significance of that number or series of numerals, but then, I don't care about that stuff unless it resembles a birthday or the like.

I must admit, you have me curious. Can you tell me why you asked?"

No mystery about 377 Snowman, I'll explain. I am recovering from my 727 cabin oxygen system error pointed out by my good friend Sluggo. Speaking of gas cylinders, maybe a few chuffs of Nitrous would make me feel better.

Boeing made a plane after WW 2 called the Stratocruiser. It was the 747 of the 1950s, double decker, cocktail lounge down below, four massive Pratt and Whitney Wasp Major 4360 cubic inch displacement radial piston engines with 28 cylinders each. Not one remains, just a few C 97s which was the military equivalent. The model number of this extinct historical ailiner? 377!

An exhange of gunfire on Hwy 377? Snowman, what happened???? Were you a cop or just another gun totin bad dude in Texas?

I didn't know most bank robbers today were heroin addicts and only got $1-2K. The bank robbing profession has really gone to hell.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Speaking of where are we, Sluggo, are you still holding to the theory that Cooper didn't dictate a flight path because he was trying to conceal his identity?

And your wrong but me not travelling for a dinner owed. I am sure I can find some type of training course near you that I should attend. I can't get good BBQ in the Pacific Northwest and there isn't a grit to be found.

We could all meet in Fulton TN. Chris Christopherson's
relatives still make BQ there. I could make a call!
Snowmman is paying for it!!

Do the oxygen masks automatically deploy in a 727 at some low air pressure level? Does anyone know this?

In a 727, the Oxygen Masks deploy and O-2 flow starts at a cabin pressure equivalent to 14,000 ft.

Didn't you read my post from this morning?

Both valves are designed to open pneumatically when cabin altitude exceeds 14,000 feet.

Sluggo

I'm confused now. I thought we were told they might have ascended above 10,000 ft to try to get Cooper woozy. The transcripts reports them saying 15,000 ft at one point?
We thought that was a typo, right? But did we hear that they went to 12,000? What's the real max altitude they went to? Is it on the flight recorder?

at 7:48 the comment is made: "... the cabin is better
if you guys have massks on ..."
8:01 - 15000 mentioned

but, you explained away all of this previously.

at 7:48 the strange comment s mde:

Since everyone is into oxygen today, here’s the federal regulation that would have kept flight 305 below 12,500 feet as long as they remained unpressurized, if it was in effect then. I imagine it was, but I just don’t know.

No regulation . . . NONE . . . matters in an emergency.

Yes, a hijacking qualifies as an emergency even if the pilot doesn't officially declare it. ATC can declare for the pilot.

1000% correct and everyone says so, quote: "NO RESTRICTIONS", SAID OVER AND OVER NAD OVER....

I've gone to 18,000 feet at least a couple of hundred times and have always had to remove my O2 at least a 30 or so seconds before exiting the airplane and on several occasions several minutes before. While not recommended, again, as long as you're not doing jumping jacks, you're probably going to be ok.

Unless you're a smoker, then hypoxia can catch you off guard at lower altitudes then other people.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Im back. Not sure how long. Will simply inform the group
I am at Iowa City, Iowa. Massive flood here so been busy.
Im ok, family ok, but we are shaken and dealing with a
serious situation.

Suggo I apologise. Here's the attachment, I hope.
Again I just did this to see what it would look like.

George

No apology needed. Take care of your family and yourself. This stuff will be here when you get back.

Sluggo

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

I remember now, I confused you with somone else but why would Cooper do that, what was the point? Sorry if you already posted the why? it wouldn't be the first time somone repeated info here.

Ckret,

Okay, I’ll try to state my position without a lot of detail.

First, a disclaimer… I have not yet proven anything (to my satisfaction), I have done a lot of leg work and I have found enough supporting information to make me feel it was worth my while to dig deeper.

Here is the main thesis:

Cooper gave the flight crew a set of instructions, That set of instructions defined certain parameters, altitude, airspeed, etc. Much like a magician (or more properly an illusionist) uses “misdirection” (asking for situation A, which sets up situation B, such that the observer thinks situation B was his own idea), Cooper used flight parameters to dictate that the flight would use Victor-23 as the flight path. Victor-23 has two distinctive turns that could be measured very well with even the cheapest of compasses. This allowed Cooper to locate and jump at (or soon after) the BTG VOR.

The parameters that I have been investigating are such things as: His first stated destination was Mexico (or possibly Mexico City), whether it was Mexico City specifically, or just Mexico is immaterial because both are EAST (and south) of Seattle. (There is no point in Mexico that is west of Seattle). He would have accepted Phoenix, AZ (East and South) and he accepted Reno, NV (again, east and south). He would not accept San Francisco, Ca. He was going to jump, he wasn’t accepting a destination, he was accepting a ROUTE.

The MOCAs* and OROCAs* for points in a direct line to Reno, Phoenix or any point in Mexico are too high for 10,000 ft. flight. Any westerly routes (Like V-27) just added more stops and more fuel burn. I hope to prove V-23 was the only option.

I have much documentation. And, thanks to your high-res Seattle Sectional, I have a complete list of 1971 Victor Airways out of Seattle. I have a few more days worth of work to do. When I’m finished, I will make a presentation to you. Or, I will have discovered I was wrong, in which case, I’ll go on to something else.

Thanks,

Sluggo_Monster

*MOCA =- Minimum Obstruction Clearance Altitude
*OROCA = Off Route Obstruction Clearance Altitude

Gottcha Sluggo but please address this in your theory. There is generally consistency in action within a given act. If a subject rob's a bank, he will use the same demand note or same words, dress in the same manner, hit the same type of branch, many times the same bank, over and over until caught.

In Coopers case there is consistency in his actions on the night, Ordered chutes, left what kind up to the provider. Ordered money, left the denomination up to the provider. Ordered the direction of travel (south), but left the path up to the provider.

Each of these demands was a vital part of whether he would be able to make a safe and successful escape, yet he left it up to the provider. His level of planning and execution set him up to successfully initiate the crime but he is consistent with a lack of planning the escape.

This tells me that Cooper thought out the crime but didn't have the actual experience of jumping to realistically plan the escape. For me to buy into Cooper was planning an illusion you will have to prove purpose. Why do it, what benifit would it have for Cooper to risk the flight crew taking a route he didn't think was possible. Also, you have to reconcile the chutes and money with the route as like actions. In other words, the whole of the escape plan was to create an illusion of who Cooper was.

My theory involves the briefcase that he brought on.
Cooper was nervous and brought his neighbors cat to relax and comfort him.

In fact, he had Schrodingers Cat.

The cat may have survived the opening shock or not.
The briefcase holding the cat may have broken loose and the cat fell to its death inside, or perhaps lived.

Of course, it is only a theory because no one observed the cat. It may actually be extraneous and implausible. :)

I'm not really a cat expert, but felt that I should contribute this.
:ph34r:

Is it possible he suffocated mid air or lost consciousness within 60 seconds due to inability to breathe due to air pressure on his face if his chute failed to open? (Combined stresses of low oxygen and fear can also cause filbrilation in less than one minute.)

Suffocation - unless he jumped with his face wrapped in plastic, no. Unconsciousness - unless he had a medical condition, no. Firstly (refer a post a few days ago), if he jumped from 10K he didn't even have 60 seconds before he hit the ground. Second, as you fall you are falling into more oxygen-rich air - plenty of cases of skydivers who leave an aircraft with hypoxia and 'come to their senses' as they fall. "Air pressure on his face" just doesn't come into the equation - go jump out a plane (or even just into your nearest wind tunnel) and see!

But a hard pull + odd set up + money bag flapping around + 50 seconds maximum time to reach a survivable pull altitude... tells me either this guy was an experienced jumper, or he bounced.

I was very interested in the tidbit that he got offered instructions and turned them down. Why would a novice do that?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Gottcha Sluggo but please address this in your theory. There is generally consistency in action within a given act. If a subject rob's a bank, he will use the same demand note or same words, dress in the same manner, hit the same type of branch, many times the same bank, over and over until caught.

In Coopers case there is consistency in his actions on the night, Ordered chutes, left what kind up to the provider. Ordered money, left the denomination up to the provider. Ordered the direction of travel (south), but left the path up to the provider.

Each of these demands was a vital part of whether he would be able to make a safe and successful escape, yet he left it up to the provider. His level of planning and execution set him up to successfully initiate the crime but he is consistent with a lack of planning the escape.

This tells me that Cooper thought out the crime but didn't have the actual experience of jumping to realistically plan the escape. For me to buy into Cooper was planning an illusion you will have to prove purpose. Why do it, what benifit would it have for Cooper to risk the flight crew taking a route he didn't think was possible. Also, you have to reconcile the chutes and money with the route as like actions. In other words, the whole of the escape plan was to create an illusion of who Cooper was.

A few weeks ago, I promised you I would leave the “bad-guy-catching” technology up to you, and I would stick with what I know. So, I will take what you have said under advisement.

But, in my attempt to be brief, and not generate a fire-storm of criticism on this forum before I get all the facts, I was unable to make you understand what I was saying. (Particularly in regard to the “Illusionist Analogy”.) So, I will stop trying to make you understand (for now) and continue the work that I believe will pay off. (Think ostrich if you must!) :)
In a few days, (maybe more, since my grandson will be here for two weeks), I will give you the “whole-enchilada.”

Assuming I still feel I’m right after I finish, here’s the plan:

1) When I have finished, I will send you the massive amount of background data I have accumulated.

2) I may need to purchase some software (inexpensive) for you to use so we can be seeing the same thing while we discuss. Is a $39.00 software package “more than nominal value”? :)
3) I’ll set up a date and time that we both can devote to an approximately 1-hour (un-interrupted) phone call.

4) I will focus on the physical parameters, without regard to “intent,” to convince you that the flight-path was the only one feasible. (Again, without intent.)

If I still can’t convince you, I will pack my stuff away, lick my wounds, and find another avenue of investigation to try and be helpful in the NORJAK investigation. The info will be available, if you should ever change your mind.

All I ask of you, is to be “open-minded” to the physical reality of flying a B-727 at 10,000 feet AGL, Flaps Down, Gear Down, aft Airstairs Open at 170 to 180 KIAS, Southeast from Seattle, while burning Jet-A fuel at 4,000 to 4,500 gpm and to give me one hour of your time.

If I don’t feel I’m right after I finish:

It’s back to arguing on this forum and thinking about things that could have been missed in the last 36.5 years. I will confess to you (and all reading), after I got the high-res Seattle Sectional, my “level of conviction” went down somewhat. I am continuing the exercise, not to attempt to justify my earlier convictions, but out of “intellectual honesty”. I (like everyone else), love to be right, but not at the expense of ignoring the truth, or worse, leading others away from the truth.

Like many scientists say; “There are no failed experiments.” Sluggo says; “Every destroyed conviction, narrows the path to Cooper!”

Submitted with respect and admiration for all you do (loud wind-rushing sound coming from the Southeast),

Sluggo (aka Sluggo_Monster)

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Since everyone is into oxygen today, here’s the federal regulation that would have kept flight 305 below 12,500 feet as long as they remained unpressurized, if it was in effect then. I imagine it was, but I just don’t know.

REPLY: One of the Boeing engineers who worked on the Cooper Vane told me NWA had its own rule, which was
12000 feet.

The briefcase holding the cat may have broken loose and the cat fell to its death inside, or perhaps lived.

Of course, it is only a theory because no one observed the cat. It may actually be extraneous and implausible.

Another Booth's Law:

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat...or throw it out of an airplane.

:D

Edit to add:

So where was Bill in 1971? And when did he start growing that beard?
Owned by Remi #?

I remember now, I confused you with somone else but why would Cooper do that, what was the point? Sorry if you already posted the why? it wouldn't be the first time somone repeated info here.

Ckret,

Okay, I’ll try to state my position without a lot of detail.

First, a disclaimer… I have not yet proven anything (to my satisfaction), I have done a lot of leg work and I have found enough supporting information to make me feel it was worth my while to dig deeper.

Here is the main thesis:

Cooper gave the flight crew a set of instructions, That set of instructions defined certain parameters, altitude, airspeed, etc. Much like a magician (or more properly an illusionist) uses “misdirection” (asking for situation A, which sets up situation B, such that the observer thinks situation B was his own idea), Cooper used flight parameters to dictate that the flight would use Victor-23 as the flight path. Victor-23 has two distinctive turns that could be measured very well with even the cheapest of compasses. This allowed Cooper to locate and jump at (or soon after) the BTG VOR.

The parameters that I have been investigating are such things as: His first stated destination was Mexico (or possibly Mexico City), whether it was Mexico City specifically, or just Mexico is immaterial because both are EAST (and south) of Seattle. (There is no point in Mexico that is west of Seattle). He would have accepted Phoenix, AZ (East and South) and he accepted Reno, NV (again, east and south). He would not accept San Francisco, Ca. He was going to jump, he wasn’t accepting a destination, he was accepting a ROUTE.

The MOCAs* and OROCAs* for points in a direct line to Reno, Phoenix or any point in Mexico are too high for 10,000 ft. flight. Any westerly routes (Like V-27) just added more stops and more fuel burn. I hope to prove V-23 was the only option.

I have much documentation. And, thanks to your high-res Seattle Sectional, I have a complete list of 1971 Victor Airways out of Seattle. I have a few more days worth of work to do. When I’m finished, I will make a presentation to you. Or, I will have discovered I was wrong, in which case, I’ll go on to something else.

Thanks,

Sluggo_Monster

*MOCA =- Minimum Obstruction Clearance Altitude
*OROCA = Off Route Obstruction Clearance Altitude

At most, Cooper was deluded. He was over powered by
the events 'he himself' set into motion with his bomb.
There are a million examples of this in the facts, or
Cooper would have walked off the plane at Seattle
sipping a martini with 200,000 tucked under his arm
into a waiting limo with Scott and Tina and the FBI etc waving and cheering: "Have a good trip DB! See you at the Oscars".

Sluggo is stuck on "performance enhancement" which is a figment and requires a total revision of the facts
of this case. Sluggo will never move off this position
(like Jo) until forced to.

I have said this 1000 times so I will say it again. We
need the NWA-305 flight comms, if they exist.

Cooper was NOT a GUEST on Flight 305! Cooper was NOT in sole control of events or even the most crucial
events of that day. Cooper set events into motion larger than any single person - or they all would all
have been potentially dead on that day including Cooper. These are the core facts of this case which
contain this whole case, Cooper included.

Dan Cooper was NOT Babe Ruth!

Question for you skydivers and tunnel-rats,

What is the wind velocity available in the skydiving wind tunnels?

Someone I correspond with was asking: “Why can’t you simulate the tying of the money, in different configurations in a tunnel?” I said; “I’ll ask.”

I imagine we’re talking about terminal velocity for the individual involved, which I think someone said was around 125 mph for “the standard man”.

Sluggo_Monster

Web Page
Blog
NORJAK Forum

Of course, it is only a theory because no one observed the cat. It may actually be extraneous and implausible. :)

:ph34r:

and let me remind you the Cat can only exist at finite
quantum levels (r1...rn) at some time (t1 ... tn) and it is absolutely required that he be there at some point in time, or the whole universe collapses back into a quantum soup at ~10E10-32 seconds. That was
tested, clear back in the 40's, or we would all be speaking Japanese or Russian today!

"The insubstantial becomes concrete. Nature itself
may decide when that happens" (Robt Oppenheimer)

“Why can’t you simulate the tying of the money, in different configurations in a tunnel?” I said; “I’ll ask.”

Sluggo_Monster

Because no tunnel will let you fly in there with something that has potential of coming loose.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

One of the things that has always bothered me in this case is how Cooper was planning to get the money to the ground. Seems like a major step in the hijacking to me.

Instead of the little paper bag he could have brought along his own carrying case for the money. No need to improvise.

Is it possible he suffocated mid air or lost consciousness within 60 seconds due to inability to breathe due to air pressure on his face if his chute failed to open? (Combined stresses of low oxygen and fear can also cause filbrilation in less than one minute.)

Suffocation - unless he jumped with his face wrapped in plastic, no. Unconsciousness - unless he had a medical condition, no. Firstly (refer a post a few days ago), if he jumped from 10K he didn't even have 60 seconds before he hit the ground. Second, as you fall you are falling into more oxygen-rich air - plenty of cases of skydivers who leave an aircraft with hypoxia and 'come to their senses' as they fall. "Air pressure on his face" just doesn't come into the equation - go jump out a plane (or even just into your nearest wind tunnel) and see!

But a hard pull + odd set up + money bag flapping around + 50 seconds maximum time to reach a survivable pull altitude... tells me either this guy was an experienced jumper, or he bounced.

I was very interested in the tidbit that he got offered instructions and turned them down. Why would a novice do that?

Thanks, very much. Cossey may have included instructions just to cover himself legally. (Ive always
read Cossey is careful like that)

Is it true paratroopers in WWII used to tie msc stuff
around their wastes, in front? Rain gear etc? Maybe
Cooper was acting out of this experience, or he had
seen it in the movies?

George

Ckret this is what you said to Sluggo:

Also, you have to reconcile the chutes and money with the route as like actions. In other words, the whole of the escape plan was to create an illusion of who Cooper was.

"Reconcile the chutes and money with the route as like actions."

What do you expect him to do - analyse the data or force the data to meet your expectations?

You can't have it both ways. This would be forcing an issue not finding the most precise jump zone that science can provide. If it doesn't put Cooper in the water you are NOT going to accept it.

Now put yourself in my shoes - YOU are doing exactly what I have been accused of doing - refusing to accept what others say and insisting the data fit your expectations and with your restrictions.

Where the money was found is not relevant. To force Sluggo to use the hypothis that the money fell, drifted or washed into the Columbia is using an unknown factor.

What is relevant is where the plane was and wind and altitude and the chute functions -plus all those other things I do not understand.

If I am misunderstanding what you were saying - I apologize, but it does seem that you want, need and expect Sluggo to force a DZ that fits your theory. Are you willing to accept this if the DZ doesn't put Cooper in the Columbia?

This is what I have put up with for over 12 yrs in regards to my claims and how the FBI has responded...I am as anxious to see his results as you are so let's all be patient and wait for Sluggo to finish his project.

I know "Beans" about all that has been posted, but what do you expect from someone who suffers from "Dumb Blonde Syndrome"? or Dizzy as someone else stated.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

A few weeks ago, I promised you I would leave the “bad-guy-catching” technology up to you, and I would stick with what I know. So, I will take what you have said under advisement.

But, in my attempt to be brief, and not generate a fire-storm of criticism on this forum before I get all the facts, I was unable to make you understand what I was saying. (Particularly in regard to the “Illusionist Analogy”.) So, I will stop trying to make you understand (for now) and continue the work that I believe will pay off. (Think ostrich if you must!) :)
In a few days, (maybe more, since my grandson will be here for two weeks), I will give you the “whole-enchilada.”

Assuming I still feel I’m right after I finish, here’s the plan:

1) When I have finished, I will send you the massive amount of background data I have accumulated.

2) I may need to purchase some software (inexpensive) for you to use so we can be seeing the same thing while we discuss. Is a $39.00 software package “more than nominal value”? :)
3) I’ll set up a date and time that we both can devote to an approximately 1-hour (un-interrupted) phone call.

4) I will focus on the physical parameters, without regard to “intent,” to convince you that the flight-path was the only one feasible. (Again, without intent.)

If I still can’t convince you, I will pack my stuff away, lick my wounds, and find another avenue of investigation to try and be helpful in the NORJAK investigation. The info will be available, if you should ever change your mind.

All I ask of you, is to be “open-minded” to the physical reality of flying a B-727 at 10,000 feet AGL, Flaps Down, Gear Down, aft Airstairs Open at 170 to 180 KIAS, Southeast from Seattle, while burning Jet-A fuel at 4,000 to 4,500 gpm and to give me one hour of your time.

If I don’t feel I’m right after I finish:

It’s back to arguing on this forum and thinking about things that could have been missed in the last 36.5 years. I will confess to you (and all reading), after I got the high-res Seattle Sectional, my “level of conviction” went down somewhat. I am continuing the exercise, not to attempt to justify my earlier convictions, but out of “intellectual honesty”. I (like everyone else), love to be right, but not at the expense of ignoring the truth, or worse, leading others away from the truth.

Like many scientists say; “There are no failed experiments.” Sluggo says; “Every destroyed conviction, narrows the path to Cooper!”

Submitted with respect and admiration for all you do (loud wind-rushing sound coming from the Southeast),

Sluggo (aka Sluggo_Monster)

REPLY:
Just a personal observation: Your work will stand
no matter what. You are so far ahead of the rest
of the pack, with the integrity to match, nobody
can compete. So you should not feel you need to compete because nobody can. There are some very
good minds gathered here with solid credentials in
many areas, and everyone respects you thoroughly.

Relax!

George