10 10
quade

DB Cooper

1 hour ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Another nutjob hijacker. He REALLY got off easy. He is #99 on the Koerner list. Only did two years in the funny farm, then released. 

Vast majority of hijackings were political and/or mental issues...  

16 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

US 727 hijackings for ransom with parachutes..

Only Cooper, McCoy, Hahneman, Heady and McNally actually jumped.

November 24, 1971  Dan Cooper aka D B Cooper 

January 12, 1972  Billy Gene Hurst, Jr - Apprehended after crew secretly escaped. Never jumped. History of mental illness.

April 7, 1972  Richard Floyd McCoy, Jr -  arrested and convicted.

April 9, 1972 Stanley Harlan Speck - tricked by crew and apprehended sent to mental institution.

May 5, 1972  Frederick William Hahneman - jumped into Honduran jungle surrendered 4 weeks later.

June 2, 1972 Rob Heady - apprehended next day on ground.

June 23, 1972  Martin J. McNally - fingerprints led to McNally.

July 12, 1972  Melvin Martin Fisher - demanded ransom and chute opened door and decided to give up.

Good summary.  Add Lapoint to the list.

(edited)

It's a little early yet, (schedule could change due to weather) but we've tentatively set dates for the first Cooper Campout of 2020, (which we're calling the Big Spring Fling because it runs four days this time, and we're going to try releasing ALL details in advance, as we did for the Oregon trip. Last time we did that, it didn't work out as well as I had hoped, due to some juvenile threats...but we're not going to Oregon this time. We're going to a place we know well, (the Olympics in WA state) and there will be a committee to assist to make sure everything goes smoothly. As usual, no fee to attend and we do the free Saturday BBQ for everyone who shows up.  

Tentative date is Friday, April 10th, until Monday April 13th. Usually the weather doesn't stop us, but if there was a windstorm coming, or over an inch of rain expected each day...or like that...we would re-schedule. That only happened once. 

I have posted nothing else on the internet about this yet, but I will be doing so soon. We will go completely public on it when we do. Anyone and EVERYONE is invited...even the people who have sometimes criticized us. 

"I'm an easy forgiver...at times."

John Wayne, from The Alamo

If you have never attended a Cooper Campout before, there are only three main things to worry about. First, you must bring your own food, bedding, and shelter, although you do get the BBQ on Saturday afternoon. Second, we practice Leave It As You Found It camping. Third....and very important...bring a chair for everyone in your group. We do NOT provide chairs. Sounds simple, but you'd be surprised how many previous campers forgot a chair and ended up sitting on hard stumps or a piece of a log.  Bring a chair. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I thought Marla's written answers were, as usual, quite articulate.  Sure there was some sarcasm, but that is certainly understandable given the disrespect and hostility thats been directed towards her. I don't think her uncle was Cooper, but I think her story reflected childhood memories not made-up facts. I talked with her at some length at  Grays Portland symposium and didn't detect any indicia of lying. I asked her a lot about the CB walkie talkies used by LD  and her answers told me without any doubt that she really saw these in use. We really should try to get her to speak at Coopercon 2019. She lights up a room. Very attractive, intelligent, articulate and willing to answer tough questions. It has occurred to me that LD wasn't  Cooper but was trying to find Cooper's loot right after the news broke and before the authorities found it. One could get pretty banged up searching through thick brush at night. 

Edited by 377
  • Like 1

(edited)
On 10/20/2019 at 12:03 PM, FLYJACK said:

LaPoint jumped from a DC-9, he jumped from a small rear access door under the tailcone.

I jumped from a DC 9-21 in 2006. The ventral airstair door wasn't small. Are you saying that there was another door that LaPoint used? 

Edited by 377

20 minutes ago, 377 said:

I jumped from a DC 9-21 in 2006. The ventral airstair door wasn't small. Are you saying that there was another door that LaPoint used? 

yes, my read was that LaPoint didn't jump from a DC-9 rear Airstair but instead from a removable panel.

Not all DC-9s had aft airstairs, the ones without have a plug door.

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/01/22/archives/exparatrooper-is-held-in-hijacking.html

"According to an airline spokesman in San Francisco, the hijacker apparently first opened an emergency door on the side of the plane but saw that he might hit the engines if he bailed out there and ordered a little‐used rear door opened. The door is under hollow fiberglass cone that is a attached to the plane's that is make it more aerodynamic."

(edited)
8 hours ago, 377 said:

I thought Marla's written answers were, as usual, quite articulate.  Sure there was some sarcasm, but that is certainly understandable given the disrespect and hostility thats been directed towards her. I don't think her uncle was Cooper, but I think her story reflected childhood memories not made-up facts. I talked with her at some length at  Grays Portland symposium and didn't detect any indicia of lying. I asked her a lot about the CB walkie talkies used by LD  and her answers told me without any doubt that she really saw these in use. We really should try to get her to speak at Coopercon 2019. She lights up a room. Very attractive, intelligent, articulate and willing to answer tough questions. It has occurred to me that LD wasn't  Cooper but was trying to find Cooper's loot right after the news broke and before the authorities found it. One could get pretty banged up searching through thick brush at night. 

Now come on...let's be fair here. Marla isn't the ONLY person in Cooperland who has had 'disrespect and hostility' directed at them. But let's bypass all that for a moment and look at reality. If Marla was actually telling the truth...or even if she got the whole incident wrong somehow...then why didn't the other three still-living people who were at the house in Sisters, Oregon that week either corroborate her story, (especially her mother) or set Marla straight on what actually happened? This is a big problem.  

Marla has said her father knew what happened. But he passed away years prior to Marla going public. So what about her mother? Mother would not confirm anything regarding Marla's story, and the entire family was there that week for Thanksgiving. In fact, Marla said that her uncle did not leave Sisters until the following Saturday after the hijacking. Don't you think at some point Marla's mother would have known the facts, if her FATHER already did? If her father knew, and was telling his eight-year-old daughter he knew LD was the hijacker, don't you think he would have told his wife as well? 

Besides, how could you keep such a secret in families? We're talking about a family of at least eight people who all gathered in the same house from prior to the hijacking until at least the following Saturday. And today, nobody who was there knows a thing, or will back Marla on this story? It is beyond reasonable belief, especially after Marla went national news and her mother attended some of the interviews. Instead of a witness, she was a silent partner and mostly looked unhappy with the job, which Marla undoubtedly recruited her to do. 

When I requested the Ten Questions for Marla Cooper interview, I was very nice about it. I gave her a decent chance to answer the obvious questions that everyone else had been asking already. She was very hostile in her responses, as if she was angry someone would actually try to pin her down. And she dodged my question asking why her mother didn't support...or for that matter...set Marla straight on what really happened that week. It was as if Marla's mom was simply embarrassed by the whole thing. 

You did not see Marla's Facebook postings. I did. And I took copies of them. 

If you consider the idea that Marla was wrong about the whole thing, that all family members who were with her that week won't back her story, and she's simply either lying or wrong...than what possible purpose could she serve at a Cooper convention...other than just another person presenting a made-up story without a single witness? (And before anyone tries jumping in with 'that's the same deal with Christiansen', I assure you we have witnesses and their testimony is documented. Doesn't necessarily mean he's Cooper, but we do have that.) 

Anyone wanting to know whether LD was Cooper shouldn't even be speaking to Marla. They should be talking to the only living adult who was there the entire week...her MOTHER. Now she would be a good guest speaker. She is the only living member of the family who knows the truth one way or another. 

Perhaps the reason Marla's mom (or her brother or sister for that matter) won't back her story is because mom could be old fashioned and not willing to lie, even for a book deal for her daughter. If I asked my mom to back me on a baloney story, she would tell me to take a long walk off a short pier. Marla's mom could be the same way. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

10 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Anyone wanting to know whether LD was Cooper shouldn't even be speaking to Marla. They should be talking to the only living adult who was there the entire week...her MOTHER. Now she would be a good guest speaker. She is the only living member of the family who knows the truth one way or another. 

Perhaps the reason Marla's mom (or her brother or sister for that matter) won't back her story is because mom could be old fashioned and not willing to lie, even for a book deal for her daughter. If I asked my mom to back me on a baloney story, she would tell me to take a long walk off a short pier. Marla's mom could be the same way. 

Wrong once again. They did speak with her mother and her mother agreed that LD could be the hijacker. She even did a TV interview about it.

(edited)
2 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Wrong once again. They did speak with her mother and her mother agreed that LD could be the hijacker. She even did a TV interview about it.

Wrong? I don't think so.

I saw that ABC interview and a couple of others. She offered absolutely no evidence on WHY she would suggest this. Not a scrap, not a whisper. And she was right there in the home doing Thanksgiving with the family the entire week. Kind of strange, don't you think?

I'm going to toss out some unsolicited advice. Once you start looking at witnesses and evidence in the case with a balanced eye, instead of going along with 'the program' on a popularity basis...you'll gain a lot more credibility. :) In other words, you will get the attention of the public, (who are an important part of solving the case) and the events you sponsor will have more credibility as well. 

Ha...it's a good thing you have someone like me who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions. Or to present the truth on certain issues without regard whether it upsets someone or not. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I think some of you may have missed the part where I said I do NOT believe LD was DBC and I give credit to Robert Blevins for leading me to this conclusion. I just don't ascribe evil cunning motives to Marla. It's easy for time and subsequent events to morph memories, especially distant ones from childhood. 

18 minutes ago, 377 said:

I think some of you may have missed the part where I said I do NOT believe LD was DBC and I give credit to Robert Blevins for leading me to this conclusion. I just don't ascribe evil cunning motives to Marla. It's easy for time and subsequent events to morph memories, especially distant ones from childhood. 

Exactly, there is nothing there but childhood memories whether sincere or not they are not reliable.

5 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Wrong? I don't think so.

I saw that ABC interview and a couple of others. She offered absolutely no evidence on WHY she would suggest this. Not a scrap, not a whisper. And she was right there in the home doing Thanksgiving with the family the entire week. Kind of strange, don't you think?

I'm going to toss out some unsolicited advice. Once you start looking at witnesses and evidence in the case with a balanced eye, instead of going along with 'the program' on a popularity basis...you'll gain a lot more credibility. :) In other words, you will get the attention of the public, (who are an important part of solving the case) and the events you sponsor will have more credibility as well. 

Ha...it's a good thing you have someone like me who isn't afraid to ask the tough questions. Or to present the truth on certain issues without regard whether it upsets someone or not. 

Ok, first and foremost let me get this out of the way: I do not, and never have believed that LD Cooper was DB Cooper. Second, I don't give a shit about attention of the public. Third, I do not sponsor any events. And fourth, you would be hard pressed to find anyone on any of these forums that looks at witnesses and evidence with a more balanced eye than I do. I know you don't agree with that because I don't support your suspect, but that's the truth.

You said back there that if they wanted the truth on LD, then they should have spoke to the one person who "knew the truth one way or the other". I was merely pointing out to you, that they did speak to that person and that person backed Marla's story, at least to a degree. You obviously had no recollection of that, or at least didn't recall it. Too bad your memory isn't as good as some of the Kenny witnesses.

11 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I believe Marla's mother has passed away.

I think Marla had some memories and tried to fill in the missing details, many of them  quite implausible.  I think Tom Fuentes said in the history channel documentary,  If someone says A and B, and they make sense, and then they say C and C sounds nuts, does that mean A & B aren't true?  

The FBI didn't shut down the case until after they finished one last fingerprint test on LD Cooper, so there was some part of her story the FBI found plausible.  I don't know what that is, and I don't think Marla even knows exactly what that is.

• Like 1

(edited)

Marla's mother, when she was interviewed, offered nothing on WHY she thought LD 'might' be the hijacker, when obviously she should have had something to say. Simply put, when someone who was actually there says, "I suspect LD might be the hijacker," then the next question is 'why'. Mother had no answer to the 'why'.

Parrothead says:

"Ok, first and foremost let me get this out of the way: I do not, and never have believed that LD Cooper was DB Cooper. Second, I don't give a shit about attention of the public. Third, I do not sponsor any events. And fourth, you would be hard pressed to find anyone on any of these forums that looks at witnesses and evidence with a more balanced eye than I do. I know you don't agree with that because I don't support your suspect, but that's the truth.

You said back there that if they wanted the truth on LD, then they should have spoke to the one person who "knew the truth one way or the other". I was merely pointing out to you, that they did speak to that person and that person backed Marla's story, at least to a degree. You obviously had no recollection of that, or at least didn't recall it. Too bad your memory isn't as good as some of the Kenny witnesses..."

Whether you sponsor Cooper-related events or care about the public is moot. And this is not about Christiansen. He is a very polarizing suspect anyway. (Either people believe very strongly that he's good for Cooper, or are just as strongly against it. My experience with people in this matter has shown me this.) And your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's. 

As far as Marla goes, I don't think she is a 'bad' or 'evil' person, but I have seen things she was writing at the time she went public. Things she thought no one was seeing except her Facebook friends. It was obvious to me she was looking to cash in on the Cooper case without offering a bit of proof on any of her claims. Yes...I had a problem with that. People can handle Marla on their own, or take her story as they wish. I already gave my opinions on all that, did the cartoons, etc. 
On another subject, I received my hardcover book, Hijack by Anthony Bryant today. Now this guy...he's interesting. I have only glanced through the book so far, but I will be reading it this week and offering up an illustrated review (and some comments) about this book at WordPress and Quora later in the week. It's in hardcover with dust jacket and you can pick it up for five bucks and change at Amazon HERE. (Make sure you read the descriptions from the different sellers thoroughly and get a copy that HAS the jacket.)

It's published by Freedom Press International, and after some research I found out it was the only book they ever published. It is probably self-published, but if it is, he did a damn good job. There is only one other reference on the internet about that company, and it is an old post from 1998 where someone does a report about an organization in the early days of the internet that was a precursor to Wikileaks, and got shut down. They had similar names, but Bryant picked up on the report to publish in his Freedom newsletter. He was not involved with the actual organization. It's weird. The post is from 1998. Bryant died the following year, age 60. He actually got New York Times coverage on his death, but you have to pay to see it, or have NYT access. If you do, just Google on 'Anthony Bryant Hijacker' and his detailed obit comes up at the NYT. I have not looked at it. 

In another coincidence, Bryant's book is set up almost exactly like the Geoff Gray book Skyjack. It is divided into two parts, with a large photo array in the middle of the book. (Some amazing pictures, one of them of someone being given Last Rites by a priest before being executed by Castro's men.)

Bryant's book is a bit longer than the Gray book, though. I can already say I recommend the Bryant book, which even on first glance is definitely worth the five bucks or so (and free shipping) you will pay for it. I can't wait to read it and will offer up a report on it this weekend. I can tell you now that Bryant (who was mostly a young hoodlum who spent years in San Quentin prior to his hijacking a plane to Cuba) made one big mistake on the way to Cuba. 

He robbed everyone on the plane of their cash...but one of the people he robbed (unknowingly) was a Cuban intelligence agent. So instead of the warm welcome he expected, he was arrested by Castro's boys when the jet landed, and spent the next twelve years being tortured, prodded with bayonets, and working in the cane fields. He was eventually released, yes. This is a book I have to read. 

anthonybryant.jpg
Picture of Bryant, circa 1985.

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Some corrections on factual details

8 hours ago, MarkBennett said:

I believe Marla's mother has passed away.

I think Marla had some memories and tried to fill in the missing details, many of them  quite implausible.  I think Tom Fuentes said in the history channel documentary,  If someone says A and B, and they make sense, and then they say C and C sounds nuts, does that mean A & B aren't true?  

The FBI didn't shut down the case until after they finished one last fingerprint test on LD Cooper, so there was some part of her story the FBI found plausible.  I don't know what that is, and I don't think Marla even knows exactly what that is.

This is spot on. The email that Bruce Smith posted from Ayn Dietrich Williams after the case was closed confirmed that LD was the focus of the last few years of the case. I'll take it a step further: I also believe that Curtis Eng told Marla that he thought LD was the hijacker and was going to close the case. She even told us all that before it happened. Blevins wants us to believe that Kenny Christiansen is the guy the FBI thought was Cooper before they closed the case. This is obviously not the case.

As you stated, I have no idea why the FBI thought they had their man with LD. Perhaps some of the 302's can shed some light on that at some point? 

'Blevins wants us to believe that Kenny Christiansen is the guy the FBI thought was Cooper before they closed the case. This is obviously not the case...'

Ridiculous. I never said any such thing. The closest anyone at the FBI ever got to considering KC might be Cooper is when Agent Gutt said to me on the phone:

"Some in this (Seattle) office think he's a good suspect. Others believe there are better suspects..."

That's IT. Please don't put words into my mouth. There is the testimony of Troy Bentz, but that was a different story and happened AFTER they closed the case

(edited)
12 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

The Troy Bentz story is your attempt to show that the FBI closed the case because they knew "Kenny was the guy and he's dead, so what's the point".

Is that not correct?

Troy Bentz is an engineer for the US Navy, civil service, with a security clearance. He said what he had to say. He approached me...not the other way around. We did several emails and phone calls. I tended to believe his story because of the amount of personal information he provided both about the two other witnesses and himself. I told him I would keep his name out of it for at least a year, something he agreed to. I actually went 18 months before revealing all the details.

The identity of the two witnesses who were with him that afternoon were verified as well. They also had security clearances. I couldn't find a single hole in Bentz' story, and I tried pretty hard to find one. 

When three solid witnesses tell you they heard a senior FBI agent like John Jarvis, a guy with 15 years of service, who works in Behavioral Profiling out of Quantico...indicate the things he did...it's hard to just dismiss it. 

There are only two real possibilities here. Either Jarvis was just giving his personal opinion on the real reason the FBI closed the case, or he was operating from inside information. I could not tell you which is true. As far as I'm concerned, since the witnesses are verified right up to their phone numbers and places of employment, plus a couple of provided personal references...I accepted the Bentz testimony as evidence in the case. 

I have nothing to hide here. If some news service or reporter wanted to verify this story, I gave them the tools to do so. Names, dates, and what happened that day are all public record. There is even a picture of agent Jarvis in the WordPress article. I discuss this incident in the Minnow Films picture, the one that should be coming out soon, The Mystery of D.B. Cooper

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

'The email that Bruce Smith posted from Ayn Dietrich Williams after the case was closed confirmed that LD was the focus of the last few years of the case...'

Not true. You are talking about the general update email that Williams sent out to me, Bruce, and a number of other people on approximately the same day the case was closed. It is shown below:

'Following one of the longest and most exhaustive investigations in our history, on July 8, 2016, the FBI redirected resources allocated to the “DB Cooper” case, in order to focus on other investigative priorities. During the course of the 45-year NORJAK investigation, the FBI exhaustively reviewed all credible leads, coordinated between multiple field offices to conduct searches, collected all available evidence, and interviewed all identified witnesses. Over the years, the FBI has applied numerous new and innovative investigative techniques, as well as examined countless items at the FBI Laboratory. Evidence obtained during the course of the investigation will now be preserved for historical purposes at FBI Headquarters in Washington, DC.

The mystery surrounding the hijacking of a Northwest Orient Airlines flight in November 1971 by a still-unknown individual resulted in significant international attention and a decades-long manhunt. Although the FBI appreciated the immense number of tips provided by members of the public, none to date have resulted in a definitive identification of the hijacker. The tips have conveyed plausible theories, descriptive information about individuals potentially matching the hijacker, and anecdotes—to include accounts of sudden, unexplained wealth. In order to solve a case, the FBI must prove culpability beyond a reasonable doubt, and, unfortunately, none of the well-meaning tips or applications of new investigative technology have yielded the necessary proof. Every time the FBI assesses additional tips for the NORJAK case, investigative resources and manpower are diverted from programs that more urgently need attention.

Although the FBI will no longer actively investigate this case, should specific physical evidence emerge—related specifically to the parachutes or the money taken by the hijacker—individuals with those materials are asked to contact their local FBI field office...'

I don't see anything in there about LD. And no FBI agent would have referred to a suspect by name in a public email anyway. In a private email, sometimes they will but only if you are asking about a particular suspect, and the FBI knows you are investigating that suspect. Otherwise, no names are given out of potential suspects to outside folks in emails. 

I can give you my guess on what really happened regarding Marla's claims. After the FBI dismissed LD as a suspect, they also stopped being quite so free and easy with trying to help investigators out by email. After that fiasco, their usual response to email inquiries turned into:  "We cannot discuss things from an ongoing investigation."  This happened within a week of LD's dismissal. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that some kind of directive on future communications regarding the Cooper case came down from above after that mess.  

EDIT:  Something else occurred to me. You could be asking yourself 'why would the Seattle FBI say 'ongoing investigation' after they allegedly closed the case? Good question, too. 

The reason is...because if you email them today with questions or inquiries on the Cooper case...they still say they are forwarding your message to the assigned case agent. So someone in Seattle (I don't know who) is still assigned to the case. Notice in Williams' email that she says the FBI is still accepting contacts in the case. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

No Robert, that is not the email that I was referring to. I went back to the DB Cooper forum and did some digging and found the email. This was a response that Bruce had received after he emailed her asking about a supposed suspect that the FBI had spent the previous 5 years investigating before closing the case. This was her response:

"As you know, I can't provide a name because of Privacy Act considerations. However, I will tell you that a tip we received in 2010 provided information on a person the FBI had not previously considered as a match to the NORJAK subject. Every other individual mentioned in tips over the last five or more years was someone the FBI had previously considered, and for whom investigative results did not support further consideration. I would caution you from saying we spent five years investigating, because the effort was much less involved. We received items belonging to the 2010 individual and sent them to our lab for forensic testing against the DNA and fingerprint profiles we have on file. Given much more urgent and higher profile demands on the Lab, only in January 2016 did the Seattle Division receive the results of that testing. It did not confirm a match between the 2010 individual and the hijacker.  There was tremendous media attention in 2011 to our investigation. I can't confirm or deny any claims about the identity of the individual we were considering, but I would suggest you review that media coverage."

Obviously, she is talking about LD Cooper. This also shows that up until 2016, that he had never been eliminated as a suspect as you claim he had been. 

Parrothead Vol,

Thanks for the post.  Right after this happened I emailed Marla and asked her if they told her the last suspect was LD.  She confirmed the FBI had told her that.  (I also asked her what specifically about LD caught the FBI's attention and she didn't know).

I feel like we've gone around and around this already.  Robert has his own opinions and he's entitled to have them.  I don't think you're going to change his mind no matter what you post.

• Like 1