10 10
quade

DB Cooper

The western flight path is beyond dead.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20010315&slug=pilot15m

'D.B. Cooper' pilot dies; William Scott never talked much about 1971 skyjacking
By Susan Gilmore 
Seattle Times staff reporter

For 30 years, William "Scotty" Scott said little about the world's most famous skyjacking, shunning assorted authors and movie producers who came knocking at his door.

Mr. Scott piloted the Northwest Orient Airlines jet hijacked by the infamous "D.B. Cooper" on Thanksgiving Eve 1971. He died of prostate cancer Sunday at his home in Green Valley, Ariz., taking to the grave much of what he knew about that fateful night, said his wife, Frances.

"When he came home that night," she said, "he told his family about it, and that was the end of it. He was a very quiet man. Very reserved."

Only in recent years had he begun to talk about the skyjacking that perplexed the FBI and continues to rivet those who think Cooper may have survived the jump of 10,000 feet into the blackness of a storm over Southwest Washington.

Her husband was convinced Cooper died in the leap, said Frances Scott. "He felt he jumped into Lake Merwin (Cowlitz County) and got tangled up in dead trees and died," she said.

On the 25th anniversary of the heist, Mr. Scott spoke to a local pilots club; 200 people showed up, said his wife.

(edited)

Well, if Scott thought Cooper jumped out somewhere in the vicinity of Lake Merwin, that pretty much puts the kabosh on a flight over the Tina Bar area. Just for the record, Scott was no fool. He used to fly cargo planes over the Himalayas...just saying. I read something about pilots like Scott sometimes finding their way through the passes using landmarks...the debris of other planes that had crashed on the same route. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

We're baaaack....(sort of)

I've decided to re-open the DB Cooper Bulletin Board. Working on it now. Probably by tomorrow, or later this afternoon. The setup will pretty much be the same as Dropzone, which means setting up some main categories, and then allowing members to create their own sub-threads under those categories. There will also be a Guest Thread that allows non-members to post if they wish. No link just yet...we're still working on the site, cleaning it up a bit. Most of the site will be Cooper-related. A bit of it will not. 

Site will be completely open. Only REAL rule are no personal attack posts (legit criticism is okay) and nothing that violates the server's Terms of Service. Any REALLY bad stuff will get you banned according to both your username, as well as an IP range broad enough to prevent you from ever coming back, even if you use a different email or name. I will post up the main link when the site is ready. Anyone and everyone is welcome to view or post, even the folks we've had differences with in Cooperland. We don't discriminate.

We treat everyone equally bad. 

That was a joke... 9_9

PreviewPicCoopBBoard.jpg

EDIT: The bulletin board is OPEN. Frankly, we don't expect much traffic to it, but that's okay. There is a Guest Thread where non-registered folks can post. Registered members can create their own separate discussions under any category EXCEPT 'General Discussion' and the Admin thread. 

One Small Warning:  We're a bit tougher than DZ regarding enforcement of anti-spam and personal attacks. If you are banned, we not only do it according to the email address and username you used when you joined...but we ban your entire IP range as well. This means you won't be back even if you switch emails and usernames. We figure that since we won't get many members anyway, we're not going to worry about banning IP ranges on people if necessary. Sometimes when you ban an IP range, you inadvertently block out a few other people in that same range. Due to the volatility in Cooperland...we will take that risk. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

No big deal, but I am going to request one other thing in case anyone joins the bulletin board, either now, or in the future:

If you are a known person in Cooperland, such as Shutter, Parrothead Vol, Bruce Smith, Going Boeing, Flyjack, etc...we ASK that you use that same username if you register or post. That name will then be 'locked' so that no one else can register with that username. This is just to make sure no one impersonates you. It is the only reason. 

If you DO register under your known username, I will PM you HERE at DZ asking if it is really you, again...to insure no one is trying to impersonate you. This kind of thing has happened on other articles and on *some* smaller forums with a Cooper focus. Hell...they even impersonated ME a few times LOL. Just for the record, this impersonation thing does NOT happen at Shutter's forum. We have our differences, yes. But he does run a tight ship. My ship is a little looser, since there is a guest thread and visitors can see all pictures, links, or videos you post...no matter where they are posted and whether or not you are registered or a guest. The only two rules are no impersonations of known folks in Cooperland...and no personal attacks. 

Some of the better contributions to the Bulletin Board, if they have merit and they warrant it...may be cross-posted to our Quora Space on DB Cooper. If this happens, your post, video, article, link, whatever...will automatically go out in its entirety to over 800 followers of the Space via email. I usually share such things with my personal followers at Quora as well...another 400 or so people. 

Of course, I would ask your permission before doing that. 

In case you want to make a desktop shortcut to the BB for later, (this post will soon be buried under other posts) just go HERE. Enough said. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
9 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I bet that I could join, get banned and be back on in no time even with the IP ban in place. Just sayin'.

Don't worry though. I'm not going to bother joining.

And....I don't really care. It mainly exists for later, anyway. In case it's needed. You don't contribute anything positive to the discussion HERE, merely stopping by occasionally with another negative comment. (Your agenda at DZ is becoming obvious.) Why would I care if you just joined up to do the same thing THERE? B| 

EDIT: May I be completely upfront with you, Parrot? You are a major contributor to Shutter's DB Cooper Forum. Everyone knows that, and I have no problem with it. But let's look at the situation fairly for a moment:

1) Several of your co-members have made comments here, and at Shutter's place saying that this DZ Cooper thread should be shut down. You claim it's because of 'bad' postings. The truth is you never expected it would be reopened, and you don't like competition, or other voices involved in the case. 

2) Even though I was pre-banned from Shutter's place prior to it being started up, by agreement of a few people who planned to join...my name is mentioned in the negative there approximately 1,300 times or more, according to Google. Some of the comments even go after Gayla, especially ones by Georger. To be fair, this is no longer going on for the most part, although it went on for quite a while. 

3) The Cooper Forum, (again, where you are a major contributor) tried moving heaven and earth to discredit myself personally, as well as the work of Adventure Books of Seattle on the Cooper case. There was a literal TON of effort involved, even a separate page or two there that exists today. And none of it slowed us down a bit, or did any good. In fact, it was the overwhelming negativity coming out of that site that brought us to the attention of the movie company in 2016. You brought me so much attention by doing that, the company got curious and wanted to hear MY side of the story. I guess I should thank you, Shutter, and maybe Georger for all that. 

4) The fact is, many of you there (yourself included) are furious about two things. First, that more sensible...more FAIR people...signed us to the first-ever dramatic feature film on the hijacking in history...and plan to name Kenny Christiansen as the hijacker not as a matter of guesswork, but as historical fact. That was their choice, not mine, but they are doing it. Second, that the DZ thread on Cooper was re-opened and none of you can do a thing about it, shut it out, or deny it the traffic it deserves. 

5) Another fact is THIS:  Because of your 'be-against-Blevins-about-anything-Cooper-at-all-costs' policy, you keep shooting yourselves in the foot. The upcoming event in November is a good example. Another one is Bruce Smith foolishly turning down the job to review the movie script, and letting someone even MORE familiar with the Kenny story take that job instead...and they plan to pay him the full amount in the script consult contract, which is $30,000, and NOT hire a second person. (There were two potential slots at 15K each.) Instead, Smith will have to settle for well...nothing. I have been poor in my life. But for Smith, a guy who lives in a small rented trailer with barely two nickels to scratch together, to turn down such an offer was plain foolish. My generous offer was not only the biggest deal in Cooperland he was ever going to be offered, but an extremely nice thing to do for him on my part. I was paid back with trash talk and lies, especially concerning the welfare check Meyer and I did on him last year. (We weren't the ONLY ones worried, you know. There were comments at Shutter's forum about whether he was okay, and the cops had done a check the day before Meyer and I showed up. We just didn't know it at the time.)

6) Must be hard for you to realize that despite all the negative efforts, all you and your friends REALLY accomplished was to help us along. I wish I could say I feel sorry for you, but I do not. 

7) The truth is, Shutter's place represents a fairly small number of people in Cooperland, and has an agenda based on what I call 'Cooper Royalty'. You ignore, or reject, anyone not in that group. Another truth is that fewer people care about Cooper Royalty than they used to. And you aren't reaching the people you USED to reach. Just a small group, and mostly with agendas. 
You know...people like Eric. 

I don't hate you guys, or even dislike you. (I have to meet someone in person, most times, to make that choice.) But I do think you are a bit foolish and tend to ignore reality occasionally. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Robert, please define "Major Contributor".

Yes, I belong to and greatly enjoy Shutters site. But I don't really contribute anything. I don't investigate Cooper, never have. I don't have the time, money or know how to do any of that. Sure, I could probably come up with a suspect, develop a huge case of confirmation bias, maybe even write a book and then label myself a Cooper Investigator. Nope, too much of that going on as it is. I'll just stay on the sidelines, read the forums and the news stories along with the occasional book and be just fine. I'll throw out a comment or two along the way.

My point in all of this is to point out that I am not a "Major Contributor" to anything Cooper related. So please do not label me as such. Thank You.

(edited)
12 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Robert, please define "Major Contributor".

Yes, I belong to and greatly enjoy Shutters site. But I don't really contribute anything. I don't investigate Cooper, never have. I don't have the time, money or know how to do any of that. Sure, I could probably come up with a suspect, develop a huge case of confirmation bias, maybe even write a book and then label myself a Cooper Investigator. Nope, too much of that going on as it is. I'll just stay on the sidelines, read the forums and the news stories along with the occasional book and be just fine. I'll throw out a comment or two along the way.

My point in all of this is to point out that I am not a "Major Contributor" to anything Cooper related. So please do not label me as such. Thank You.

LOL Parrot...you've made HUNDREDS of posts to the Cooper Forum. That's how I define 'major contributor,' if you need a definition. There are only about a dozen of you with that status at the site. :) I never mentioned anything about your actual investigation into the case, if any. (And by the way...not all investigations into Cooper suspects are 'confirmation bias'. Some investigations are based on the testimony of solid witnesses, maybe an FBI agent who let the cat out of the bag a month after they closed the case...and other evidence. You never know. Wasn't just a book. There is also a 54-page report that has been downloaded tens of thousands of times now, much of which consists of material not discovered until AFTER the book came out. Some of the evidence isn't even in the report, because it belongs now to the film companies.) 

Flyjack: I haven't looked at the latest FBI file, but I will soon. 

EDIT: I have examined the file. These files are fairly useless, since they are redacted half to death. But one page does say that Rackstraw's prints didn't match their latents, the ones they took from the jet. Also blue eyes on Rackstraw, and 28 at the time of the crime. Looks like any investigation into a suspect who was in the military, (unless the FBI takes that person's prints on their own, or that person's prints are already in the NCIC database) was hampered due to the massive St. Louis military records building fire. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Thanks...but I'm skipping the camping gig for Labor Day this year. Four days off...I'm staying home. 

World of Tanks. FEAR the KV-1! (Picture below says I killed eight out of the fifteen on the other team. It was actually SEVEN, but that's not bad. My highest total has been NINE...and that is good. There are 15 players a side. 

NrH8cDc.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

What I meant by 'efforts hampered by the St Louis military records building fire' was this:

The fire destroyed a great percentage of military records, and restoration of those files has been ongoing for decades. Most of the records were only PARTIALLY restored and show only dates of service, or a DD214, etc. (The goal was to make sure people in the military at least got their veterans' benefits.) Things like fingerprint cards were mostly lost, along with company duty records and a bunch of other stuff. It was a huge loss...and hampers any investigation into a prior military suspect who is no longer alive, and didn't have a criminal record at the NCIC database. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

4 minutes ago, GoingBoeing said:

Billy Mitchell said “and he kept the glasses on so I thought that was a little weird” Sheridan has blue eyes and they checked him twice. I don’t believe they have a clue what color his eyes were. DNA can tell eye color, but not sure about partial DNA. 

Seattle FBI agent Fred Gutt told me this on the phone, and by email years ago...regarding the partial sample -

It can eliminate someone from contention, IF they compare that suspect's full DNA profile to what they have. But it cannot absolutely match someone's DNA as the hijacker. 

Whatever that means... B|

(edited)

You are saying that the created pictures were done using the information from a person's full DNA profile?

If so, that is amazing work. Here is another use of this process:  Parents could have a DNA sample of their baby used to make the picture...to see what their kid will look like when he or she grows up. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Decided early today:  Our next Cooper Campout will be from Friday, October 4th until Sunday the 6th. I had to check our work schedule. I'm not advertising this one. If people want to go, and they are actually interested, they know how to find me. Otherwise, I figure they aren't serious anyway. B| Where are we meeting up? The Olympics, of course.

'Hello...(hello)...is there anybody IN there..."

Due to some recent news, Gayla at AB suggests we go all out on this one because it will be our last meetup until next spring. I heartily agree. 

EDIT: Yes, we are doing videos again for this one. Hopefully, I will get some assistance with them. Not like last time, although to be fair that last solo trip for the videos was my choice. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I'm considering switching our 'Gangsta Cat' productions logo from the angry Siamese we use in some Cooper videos. White cat or brown? What do YOU think? I will show the original, followed by the proposed 'white cat' picture we're thinking about. 

IntrpicmainEricvid.jpg

GangstaCat2.jpg

It's a joke, guys...we're not changing the logo. B|

Actually, I should make the cat below our rep for videos. He is definitely deserving. 

helpMetheCat.jpg.010704f1736afeb907a523324e35264c.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
3 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

Well, I guess I will have to change my name to ParrotheadCowboy as I am now done with the Vols. One can only take so much of that shit show.

I don't know a whole lot about the Vols, but most of my relatives (when they were alive) lived in Bristol/Kingsport area. I did like the Lady Vols basketball team when they were doing so well in the national NCAA tournaments. That was probably a while ago, I know. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

The Lady Vols basketball program has turned into a dumpster fire as well. They were at one time one of the elite programs in the country as was the football team. Unfortunately those days are long gone.

I drove through downtown Kingsport this past week on my way to Virginia.

Edited by ParrotheadVol

(edited)

I've made a decision regarding future discussions on the Cooper case. There will be no more about Eric, for one thing. I've already said what I had to say about him. I don't agree with what he did, but I won't interfere with any of that in November. 

I'm no longer going to discuss the upcoming movie. Either they will make the damn thing, or they won't. I think they will, but I'm pretty sure people are tired of hearing about it. If they green-light, I will make an announcement, although you would probably find that at Variety or some place like that before I could say anything. 

Different evidentiary points on the Cooper case are okay. I don't mind discussing those as long as we're not arguing about Kenny Christiansen. Look guys...the movie thing is strictly business, that's all. No one would turn down an offer like that just because they weren't 100% sure on a suspect. Am I sure KC was the guy? Heck, no. Do I suspect he was? Sure...I won't BS you on that...but it is still a business proposition and nothing else. It's entertainment.

Last Cooper campout is Friday Oct 4 through that Sunday. No more until at least spring. Frankly, if no one shows up I will have just as much fun alone. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

'The only Cooper story that is unbelievable is Walter Recca. You people have my word if he was Cooper I will go have myself castrated..'

Your privates are plenty safe. I call Reca 'Wrong Way Cooper,' because they have the jet flying east toward Spokane, and in fact...crossing the Cascade chain...BEFORE it turned south for Portland. That idea is patently ridiculous due to the substantial amount of radar and military tracking evidence. The flight path might be off a mile here or there, (I doubt it, although it is possible) but the jet did not head toward Spokane before going to Portland. That is a joke, and an insult to real Cooper researchers...the ones who have followed the case a lot longer than I have. 

LOL...my first thought when I read the Reca story was that it would have been more believable had they simply LIED and said he came down somewhere along the flight path, and then made his way on the ground to Cle Elum. Come on, Reca supporters...it is NINETY miles out of the way to go to Cle Elum by air and then turn SW to Portland. Someone would have noticed. :D

Edited by RobertMBlevins

On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 PM, GoingBoeing said:

We use to drive through there going to Boone, NC skiing. Love it there!  Growing up sadly I pulled for Eric Robert Rudolf who was hiding out over in Murphy and the Smokies. Also we’d go to Maggie Valley and a place called Ghost town or something it had a rollercoaster and being grown up I tried my hand at the Indian Reservation card tables lol. 

I remember going to Ghost Town when I was a kid. There was a plan to re-open it this year, but it didn't happen. Last I saw it was up for sale for around $6 Million. It did re-open for a little while a few years back. There is a sledding hill with man made snow across the street from there that we go to from time to time. Hadn't been in a couple of years but I'm going to try and take the kids again this winter.

Recca (a USAF trained PJ and accomplished skydiver) had ALL the skills but the Cle Elum landing story is just not credible. Why on earth would he tell such a story? A liar would, of course, pick a credible V 23 proximal landing area. Recca didn't. It does make me wonder...

His extensive collection of foreign passports also makes me wonder. Most of the passports were not genuine (thanks Snow for showing me evidence of counterfeiting) but why did he have them?   Was he a Walter Mitty 007 pretender or was he up to something serious? 

I do admire the candor of his Cooper proponents. Putting forth the whole story including Cle Elum has my respect. They didn't spin or cherry-pick facts. It's so tempting to ignore facts that cast doubt on favorite suspects. 

(edited)
14 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I'm intrigued by the Walter Recca story. I don't think he's Cooper, but there's a lot of questions regarding that dude that I'd like to know the answer to.

I'm not real familiar with his story, but that idea the flight went EAST almost a hundred miles before turning back toward Portland is just bizarre. I just can't figure how they expected anyone to buy that story. They claim radar errors, etc. It would have 'flown' (joke) much better had they said he came down along the flight path, or somewhere even remotely close to it...and said he hitchhiked or something to the Cle Elum area. Claiming he actually jumped over Cle Elum...well, that is ridiculous. It is possible Reca was engaging in fantasies here and there, as some people do. You know...when someone tells you they were a Navy SEAL or something to impress you, even whips out 'proof'. I don't know. But claiming he landed near Cle Elum is just crazy, in my opinion. And some of the story beyond that is BASED on that 'fact' very heavily. 

RecaFlightPath.jpg

I have published my article on Reca and Carl Laurin at WordPress, with illustrations. 

Suspects 101: Ten Good Reasons Why Walter Reca ISN’T D.B. Cooper (But You’ll Only Need ONE)

Edited by RobertMBlevins