10 10
quade

DB Cooper

1 hour ago, EJU said:

Daily DB Cooper Bite. I discuss the quest to determine the specific time that DB Cooper jumped.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DBCooperChannel

The FDR has a "little bob" at 8:09 so that is the lower bound time.

The rear door closing is an old theory..

I doubt Cooper would have closed the door himself, however the door may have swung partially closed... maybe it was swinging,,  some planes have an open lock mechanism.. but I don't see one here on this early 727..

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=rtPb7TAsPC8

(edited)
5 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Seen recently elsewhere:

Really…

What I do is ask legitimate questions and confront the issues that few of you have the guts to do. You’re a clique. I’m the guy who doesn’t buy into that scenario because it goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing. I do more interaction on Cooper with the public on a monthly basis than most of you have done since you started exploring the case. I also think I have somewhat more fun doing it. In the real world, that is. 

5 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

Seen recently elsewhere:

Really…

What I do is ask legitimate questions and confront the issues that few of you have the guts to do. You’re a clique. I’m the guy who doesn’t buy into that scenario because it goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing. I do more interaction on Cooper with the public on a monthly basis than most of you have done since you started exploring the case. I also think I have somewhat more fun doing it. In the real world, that is. 

Robert, get off your high horse and stick to the case. you are breaking the rules here in several ways. 

Edited by mrshutter45

(edited)

'Robert, get off your high horse and stick to the case. you are breaking the rules here in several ways...'

It has been almost fifty years since Cooper pulled his little stunt, and over ten years since people REALLY started discussing it. I have come to the idea that a small, select group who believes they are better than anyone else checking out Cooper...will never get anywhere solving it simply by TALKING about it. It is also true that these folks have a perfect right to do so. 

I have come to the idea that setting aside the people I call 'Cooper Royalty' and involving the public more and more in the whole thing is the more sensible course. You've had a chance to hear the proposed suspects, the official documents from the FBI, the records, all the available information. Along the way, if someone really got close to identifying a suspect, that person often became the subject of ridicule, dirty tricks, behind-the-back messages, and banning. 

Many out there among John Q Public realize that, believe it or not. And they are bored with this, and want nothing to do with it. What they want is answers, and frankly...if you want their help...to be entertained. I'm not sitting on any high horse. I'm just the guy who gives it to you straight, and who addresses issues others won't touch. The situation within Cooper Royalty is as simple as it always has been. 

Anyone this small group determines is 'worthy' of Cooper Royalty status goes on what the Coneheads would call the 'protected rolls'. 

"When we invade your planet, you will be on the protected rolls, and will come to no harm..." (Dan Ackroyd, paraphrased)

In other words, Cooper Royalty circles its wagons and protects anyone they have previously allowed into that small group, even if they do things that are not in the best interest of promoting the case with the public. Or even if they do things that are inherently wrong, such as stealing (yes) suspect Sheridan Peterson's life work (his anti-Vietnam War book, all 660 pages of it) and assigning a falsely-obtained ISBN to it and publishing it without his permission. That is one difference between myself and Cooper Royalty, because I would not (and didn't) support such a thing because it was wrong. But if a member of Cooper Royalty does it, then it is okay, and will be supported. 

This...this is the main difference between my approach to the Cooper case and others. I can be tough on people, but I am also fair for the most part. Cooper Royalty does not believe in fair. They only believe in circling the wagons. Good ideas are dismissed if they come from outside the group. Both good AND bad ideas are supported if they come from WITHIN that group. 

The problem with that approach is that you begin to lose the support of the public. They stop registering at your websites, they stop coming to the events, they don't watch your videos, and they get bored. I haven't had much success in getting Cooper Royalty to realize that their approach isn't working, and that EVERYONE involved in this long-term discussion is better served by working together, especially to involve the public. It's really come to the point where if people do not work together, eventually any interest in the case will fade from the public eye. And that is too bad, because at this point it is only the public that can help everyone actually solve the case. Someone out there knows something, but you have to reach them somehow. 

If you want to reach them as a group, then you have to present as a UNITED group beyond the concept of Cooper Royalty. For example, both Mountain News and the DB Cooper Forum should have jumped on board with support for our Cooper Campouts, the fourth one being held in about ten days just SE of Portland. Why? Because you like me personally? Of course not, although that would be nice. B| No. Because it is in the best interest of continuing to keep the Cooper case fresh in the minds of the public, to attract a NEW generation of fans to the case, and it is better for everyone involved with Cooperland. 

One thing I have avoided here since Dropzone reopened this thread is to shove the idea of Kenny Christiansen as the skyjacker down your throats. I could see that was a mistake on my part, and like preaching to the choir. I came to the idea instead that a broader approach was needed, a united front showing that even when people have differences, that they STILL support anything legitimate that forwards the Cooper case with the public.

As far as the recent discussions regarding Eric's Cooper Con, I did get a little angry, but mostly because so much hard work by a great many people was simply dismissed. Instead, I have decided to give him a chance and take a wait-and-see attitude on the whole thing. Maybe he DOES have a solid program in mind. Only time will tell on that, but until that time I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He will not be a subject on the Cooper video we plan to shoot over the weekend of the next Cooper Campout, the one in Oregon. Instead, some of this video will be a call to action, and probably present some of the things you just read above. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins
Removed unnecessary white space

14 hours ago, RobertMBlevins said:

What I do is ask legitimate questions and confront the issues that few of you have the guts to do. You’re a clique. I’m the guy who doesn’t buy into that scenario because it goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing. I do more interaction on Cooper with the public on a monthly basis than most of you have done since you started exploring the case. I also think I have somewhat more fun doing it. In the real world, that is

Your contribution to the cause has indeed been yuge.

(You should never post this in Speaker's Corner - you might just get confused with someone else.....)

9_9

One last update on the Cooper Campout scheduled to run from Friday morning, June 21 through the following Monday, the 24th:

(*laughs*) First off...this is the first time we actually made the location, time, and date of the rally point PUBLIC. And I was foolish enough to do it not only at Dropzone, but at Facebook, Twitter, Infamous Nissan, City Data Forum/Portland, our main site at AB of Seattle, and a few other places. There have been over a thousand visits to the thread at Infamous Nissan about this campout, and many more elsewhere. Oh, brother...I said at Facebook 'I hope I haven't created a monster here...'

So...we have NO idea how many unannounced people might actually show up at that mini mart at five AM in the morning. A couple of the guys at Infamous (its a support forum for Nissan owners) who helped me organize this trip are a bit apprehensive. So am I, if the truth be known. I told them that anyone crazy enough to pack up their camping gear and just SHOW UP that early in the morning at a small town in Oregon was probably okay. 

Maybe. B|

In any case, I agreed we will have to screen people showing up like that. A little bit. Just to make sure (paraphrasing Cher) they aren't junkies, tramps, or thieves. 

A short personal bit of my personal experience on The Day the Deed Was Done, aka November 24, 1971. When you have a historical reference, memories are much easier to recall:

• I lived on a small farm with two barns, a large chicken coop, and pasture just outside of Sumner, WA. 
  • I was in high school at the time. On the day of the hijacking it was mostly misty rain all day, that wet crap that incessantly penetrates into everything. Little to no wind near Seattle. Just a miserable wet day. 
  • After I got home from school, they interrupted the normal TV programming for live updates about the hijacking, about the time the plane started circling Seattle. They even pre-empted JP Patches, the local kiddie show, one of the most popular programs on local TV. That's how we knew it was a big deal. EVERYONE we knew was watching the coverage. 
  • The TV cameras were not allowed onto the field at SeaTac and the coverage was kind of spotty. The reporters just kept repeating themselves and then the plane took off. 
  • Not much on the updates after that, but they finally announced Cooper had jumped from the airplane, but that was not until much later. I was already asleep by this time. The REAL TV coverage came the next day. 
  • 'The hunt was on' and they expected to find Cooper pretty quick. They never did, of course. 
  • The local news stations covered the holy hell out of the story for days, and then weeks. But nothing ever really became news. Cooper was just GONE. 
  • Eventually the story died down and even the local news services ran out of stories to cover on the hijacking. 
  • From that point on, they would either run 'anniversary of the hijacking' stories, or stories about some new suspect which never seemed to pan out. 
  • The actual legend on Cooper, the songs, the Ariel Store stuff, didn't emerge until a few years after the hijacking. 
  • When Richard McCoy became a suspect, almost everyone I knew thought he HAD to be the guy. So did I. 
  • The rest of the stuff you probably know. The placard was news, the money find was BIG news, and the Ariel Store party was news once in a while. 
  • Today...NOW...in 2019, if you ask someone under the age of 40 about Cooper, most of the time they just say, "Who?" And even if they know of him, it is just barely. 

(edited)

I may start posting at Quora my Insult of the Week, just for laughs. Seen recently at the Mountain News, after Eric posted up his invite to a boat tour (sounds okay) going past Tina Bar. Typically, it was done using a phony identity, as is usual with many at Bruce's comment site:

'“Fantastic post, Marla. Blevins is a huge failure. These camping trips are all contrived. No one wants to camp with Blevins. However, if Eulis wants to go and meet this a$$hole, I’m game to meet Eulis at the convenience store with my F-250 ,and give Blevins the business end of my bear spray at the camp site…”

Filed under:  Hatred 101, subcategory Threats, Mountain News. B| If I were Eric Ulis, I would not associate myself with that site. Just saying. As far as this particular Cooper Campout, we're not quite at capacity, but we're close. I do wish him luck on the boat tour, which sounds interesting and involves the public in the case. Always a good thing. Eric should just sign up as a contributor to the Quora space on DB Cooper, which has nearly 800 followers getting the email feed with any new content provided in full. Sometimes Quora staff even pick a post there and send it out to up to 10,000 additional Quora users at the same time. Better than being associated with a site that allows stuff like you just read above, and on a daily basis. 

Ask Darren Schaefer, host of the Cooper Vortex podcast, about the results he gets at Quora. As an added bonus, no one has to read hateful posts made by anonymous folks. 9_9 As far as the threat made by 'Johnnie Greene' at Mountain News, it's ignored. He has personal issues. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Got up this morning and saw a group email from Nick, Brett, and Josh, who are three of the main producers on the (hopefully) upcoming feature film on Cooper. They said they had seen the page at Infamous Nissan regarding the Cooper Campout and wished they could attend. They also want to see the planned video we're doing out there by Mt Hood. Sure, okay. 

I urge anyone in the Portland area to take up Eric Ulis' offer of a boat tour out to Tina Bar on the Columbia. Here at AB of Seattle, we support anything that includes the public regarding the Cooper case, whether it be campouts or boat tours. The tentative Cooper Con for 2019, coming in November we support as well...with a caveat. We only hope Ulis organizes a program that actually gets people in the door and provides entertainment as well as the lectures. Something like a hands-on boat tour was a good idea, for example. It's a good lead-in to better stuff later in the year. AB of Seattle is planning at least one, possibly TWO more Cooper Campouts by late fall, and both of them will be held in the Olympic National Forest of Washington state, as usual. The Oregon campout is a one-time-only deal, mainly because we have to haul gear nearly 200 miles to 'do Oregon' and that's a long way to go for a three night campout. Our usual spots in the Olympics are about an hour from my house, which is much easier. 

'Official' apps to the Oregon campout are now CLOSED. We're close to max and I have to leave a couple of spots open for the wild card folks who might show up at the last minute. Forest service rules say no more than 14 people at the same group campsite. We already have close to that number confirmed now. Sure, I can stretch that number a bit in ways so the rangers don't get pissed off, but I can't get ridiculous about it. We're not doing Cooper Woodstock here. ;)

Frankly, I can't afford to feed many more than 14 of you at the Saturday BBQ anyway. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

I don't pussyfoot around when it comes to stating my opinions. Some folks may not like me, but brother I will always give it to you straight. You can COUNT on it.

Six years later, and the King County Sheriffs Department STILL hasn't solved the murder of Earl Cossey. Video about all that was filmed near Mt Jefferson in the Olympics with crude gear, but it gets the message across.

You can expect a similar video (but on different subjects regarding the Cooper case) when I return from Oregon. One week to go until our crazy-crazy Cooper Campout two hundred miles down the road, and everyone is through the roof with excitement about it. By everyone, I mean the people who signed up to go. My sincere thanks to everyone. A fun time is guaranteed for all. 

Truth is, I'm pretty jazzed to see if this full-blown Cooper Campout system works. What I mean is the things we added over the last few months to make it more fun and more comfortable. The shower tent with toilet, the ten-foot screen with the media projector, the full power capabilities with internet access via your cell tethered to a laptop, and all the other crazy stuff. It's totally nuts, I'll admit. We've been using checklists for the gear, piece by piece, to make sure we don't forget anything. It's a long drive to Mount Hood. B|

Some pictures below from previous trips. 

EveningViewSite.jpg

camping3.jpg

camping4.jpg

IconicRBphoto.jpg

ViewFromAbove.jpg

bearspray.jpg

DuckabushFog1.jpg

AbandonedFarmhouse2.jpg

Corona2.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Two Cooper events in the Portland area over the same weekend. Now that sounds like balance to me. Eric will be leading a group down on the water, while Tom and I lead a group into the mountains. 

I think it will be mucho fun for all at both events. There are even some similarities. Just for fun, I think I will name a few. 

• Eric will be down on the Columbia River. We will be up near Mt. Hood. (yeah, obvious)
  • The boat tour includes drinks. Our does not, but we provide a free BBQ.
  • Both events are probably limited to about the same number of people, due to space considerations. Ours is 14 max, the boat tour is probably similar. 
  • Eric will be showing people Tina Bar LIVE. We have it on a flash drive, along with Cooper TV shows, movies and stuff. 
  • Eric's event costs $35 to attend. Ours is free, but in reality costs people at least that much just in gas to attend. So that's about the same. 
  • Women flock to BOTH of us. (Okay, that was a joke.) 9_9
  • On Eric's boat tour, he's claiming that he will show people the actual flight path of NWA Flight 305. This is the one point where we differ. We aren't moving the flight path of the hijacked jet several miles west of reality to enhance the camping experience. I suppose we could try telling people that 305 went over Mount Hood, but I don't think people would believe that either. ;) We do support Eric's efforts, but that's stretching things a bit. 

I'm pretty sure both groups are excited about this particular weekend. I know I am.

If you are trying to decide WHICH event you should attend, go with Eric's boat tour. The Cooper Campout is full up, folks. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)
6 hours ago, ParrotheadVol said:

I have my doubts that this case will ever be solved.

But if it is solved, I think the most likely scenario is that it gets solved on a camping trip.

Nah. It's strictly recreation and fun. Business is OUT. ;) I really do like the idea of the boat tours. I just made a mild objection to a portion of the agenda. Otherwise, I urge people in the Vancouver/Portland area to go and have fun with Cooper that way, too. Sounds like perfect weather for it. Ten day forecast for Portland area that weekend looks pretty good. Mid-70s, little cloud. Just enough to keep the heavy sun off while you cruise the Columbia. 

EDIT: About Eric's proposed search of the wooded area along the Columbia at Bachelor Island - Although I don't agree that Flight 305 went past that area, it is ALSO true the Tina Bar money was found nearby. So, a search of the area is not a bad idea. As some of you know, AB of Seattle was proposing a similar search east of the Castle Rock area, in the spot where the placard was found. We even bought two metal detectors and two pin-pointers to help in the search. But when Flyjack figured out that the found placard most likely did not come from Flight 305, we decided to drop that idea. Our opinion up here (in Seattle) is that a search further down the river certainly could not hurt, as Eric proposes. Such a search would probably have to be more than a day trip, though. I have looked at the maps and determined the search area (wooded) to be roughly a square mile in area. You aren't going to be able to cover an area that large in a single day, even using multiple metal detectors. Still...if Eric can get the public to assist and bring detectors...it's just another way of involving the public in the case...something AB of Seattle will always support. Would we participate in such a search? Probably not, but only because it is over a hundred miles from my little office down to Ridgefield and that isn't worth the drive for a day trip search. You need LOCALS to assist. My advice to Eric is to make posts at some of the bigger metal-detecting sites. When I was organizing the Castle Rock (proposed) search, I got several inquiries from people who had good detectors. 

About the Oregon Cooper Campout June 21-24. No big deal, but we have seen some rather nasty postings at Bruce Smith's Mountain News about this. (Many from 'Johnnie Greene' who we believe is actually 'Georger' at the DB Cooper Forum.) As a result, I have frozen further inquiries from the public on attending, and maps to the turnoff onto the Forest Service road we are taking have been provided to the people signed to go. We told these folks not to bother with the mini mart, but instead meet us at the turnoff a few miles out of town. They also have our cell numbers. 

In other words, we're skipping the rally point stuff for the most part. Tom (not Kaye, another Tom) and I will meet in Estacada and then meet up with everyone else after a brief stop, just to make sure no one is waiting at the mini mart. The original plan called for us to just sit there at the mini mart for an hour. Now, we will simply cruise by and take a quick look. If no one is parked there that looks like they are packed for the country, we are hitting the road right away east out of town. If someone IS there...we will talk to them briefly. Our attitude on the whole thing has changed. Every internet post, tweet, Facebook entry, etc directed people to CONTACT US FIRST if they wanted to go. Anyone showing up who didn't bother to contact us first (our opinion) is simply foolish for packing up their gear and driving to Estacada based on internet posts alone. One guy at the Mountain News even made a veiled threat, which I posted to this site a couple of days ago. So now we are hesitant about allowing any last-minute, we-didn't-bother-to-contact-you-first wild card campers. If anyone like that shows up, we're going to screen them a bit and see what they are about, and I have no problem telling them they aren't welcome to go. 

Besides, we are pretty much at capacity now. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Crap...I had to disappoint an 18-year-old kid named Nolan, who lives in the Vancouver area. I had forgotten him. He emailed me today asking about updates on the proposed search for the placard near Castle Rock. A couple of months ago I had told him that he and his two metal detectors could come to the campout for the search. Tried to let him down easy, but I felt bad about it because he was a nice kid. :| I didn't invite him to the Cooper Campout because he is underage, and for those particular campouts, only 21+ can attend. The placard search was open to anybody, and no drinking was part of the deal with Weyerhauser. At the Cooper Campouts, people do occasionally have a reasonable beer, yes...although the only time I ever drink is on Christmas Eve maybe. And a couple of Bud Lights when the Ariel Store parties were still going. So...it is over 21 only at Cooper Campouts.  

Hi Nolan,
Yeah....I had to CANCEL the trip, mainly because we discovered that the placard from the jet came not from DB Cooper's hijacked jet...but came off the OUTSIDE of the jet. And the placard was found in an area over the main flight path between Seattle and Portland, the V-23 route. This means it could have come off ANY 727 jet from thousands of flights between Portland and Seattle. Several old news articles about the placard had a statement from a Boeing spokesperson that said this about the placard:

"Sometimes they even fall off on the runway..."

My apologies. 
Sincerely, Robert

UPDATE: Nolan replied asked me if there were any future search trips planned. I sent him over to Eric's DB Cooper page at Facebook. Nolan has good detectors. He would come in handy doing that search Eric has in mind, and Nolan is from the Vancouver area. 

UPDATE: I dragged out my guitar and went to YouTube to learn to play 'Ballad of the Beverly Hillbillies,' (easy song, took five minutes to figure out) so I could do the parody version, 'Ballad of Kenny Christiansen,' for the Cooper video we're doing on next week's campout. I thought it was time to toss in some light humor as part of the video. 9_9

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Traffic everywhere on Cooper except for Dropzone and the Quora Space site on Cooper is down. No wonder when you see stuff like this:

'Ulis has been fair all along. So what if he has a favorite suspect? Good for him. You really can’t be close to this case without developing a case for your own suspect. But not once had Ulis gone on a search and destroy mission to discredit another’s work, or another suspect. Unlike Robert Blevins who tries to damage all other’s work and accomplishments. That’s why Blevins is the butthead of all Cooper jokes and the most despised person on the case. His campout BS is pure diversion for a totally broken person. Good luck to Mr. Ulis."

Totally broken person? Now that IS funny. I think not. I get up every morning and go to work like everyone else. I am far from 'broken,' I assure you. And my Cooper Campout will be nothing but fun for those who signed to go. Today, I asked the producers working on the first-ever dramatic feature film on the hijacking to give me an update, in addition to their yearly checks to hold the option. They will answer of course, and that information will be on the video we're shooting this weekend up by Mt. Hood. Fortunately, I don't have to use the remote control and do it all alone this time. I've recruited a cameraman. 

I'm running up a loose shooting script for this video, so that we get to the point and it doesn't go on for too long. I'm going to address several issues, including the hateful and filthy posts I've seen recently at Bruce Smith's Mountain News...a place where Eric Ulis continues to advertise his daily 'Cooper Bites'. The videos are okay. But if you lay down with dogs, you will eventually get fleas. I have also seen more unfounded allegations on Kenny Christiansen, some of them pretty nasty. 

This tells me one thing. Other Cooper investigators, using their phony identities at Mountain News, are both afraid and desperate. Otherwise they wouldn't resort to such things. And Eric, being Cooper Royalty, believes that posting at such sites is okay and won't affect his reputation with the public. Sometimes he even encourages them for a response. 

And yet, it will affect his reputation with the public. The day I was banned from responding to hateful posts at Mountain News was a good day, because I was no longer associated with that website. 

We will return to Seattle next Monday. When we do, you will see the DB Cooper video from hell. But only the GOOD side of hell. B| We do believe in the Virgin Mary around here, and only shoot video SHE would approve. I'm pretty sure it will be a big hit at YouTube, or at least entertaining to the public. 

4sure.jpg

Edited by RobertMBlevins
spelling correction

(edited)

An okay video by Eric, although I think he could have gotten to the point in three minutes or less. Motivation, an actual MOTIVE for the hijacking? Money, obviously. Political hijackers made sure to let both the airlines and the media know exactly what their complaints were. Sometimes they wanted certain people released from prison here or there. Sometimes they made statements to the world (and the media) about their actions. Occasionally, they would issue a manifesto. 

Cooper did no such thing. He engaged in small talk. He denied having a grudge against Northwest Orient, but that could have been a lie. But it really came down to money, and the unanswered question on WHY he selected Northwest to pick on to get that money. Why Northwest? Why did he tell stewardess Tina Mucklow that 'Minnesota is nice country,' when she told him she lived in Minneapolis? How the hell did HE know whether Minnesota was nice country or not if he had not spent time there?

Many unanswered questions remain of course. But the testimony from Mucklow definitely indicates Cooper did NOT believe the money was a secondary consideration, or some additional goal, with a higher goal out there somewhere. It was all about the money. When he got the money, he seemed pretty happy about it Mucklow said. 

*Sometimes things really ARE as simple as they appear.*

Special Comment for Eric:  Your videos would collect a lot more views if you were signed up as a contributor to the DB Cooper Space at Quora dot com. Each one you uploaded as you did here...would be sent via email in their entirety to nearly 800 current users getting the automatic email feed. Once in a while, when Quora staff think an entry there is worthy...they take it upon themselves to send it out to an additional 1,000-10,000 Quora users as well. Views to new entries at the Cooper Space only reflect the people who actually saw them onsite. Almost all views, and the views from other Quora users sharing an entry...do NOT appear on the Cooper Space.  That's because recipients of the auto emails mostly view new entries in their email box, or share them from their email. As of today, my personal view total at Quora, both for questions I have answered there, as well as my entries at the Cooper Space...now total 1.5 MILLION over two years.

That's how Darren Schaefer gets SO many downloads to his Cooper Vortex podcasts so quickly. He's signed as a contributor to the DB Cooper Space. Out of 51 videos you have done, only SEVEN have more than a hundred views, with just 29 total followers at YouTube. My last two videos on Cooper at YouTube, not counting the two-minute promo reel I uploaded recently, have more views and followers than all fifty-one of YOURS. And when you post those videos to Shutter's 'DB Cooper Forum' on that special page he provided you...the public cannot see the links to those videos anyway. It just says: "You are not allowed to view links or pictures. Register or Login." Try logging out and see what I mean. It's a waste of your time.

This isn't meant to be a put-down, Eric. I think you try to do good work. It's just a hint suggesting you should hang in places where you can actually reach the public. After fifty-plus videos you should be doing better by now, but you aren't. Just saying. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Last-minute preparations were completed today for the upcoming Cooper Campout, the fourth such event we've done here at AB of Seattle. It's hard to explain to people what this involves unless you have attended one of these things. Many totes full of gear, all of which have to be checked against a master list to ensure we don't forget anything. Truck is always packed to the gills, even behind the seats and around the passenger seat. Then...people from all over the place show up at some prearranged location and we caravan to the actual site. Until this current trip, we would just provide maps to the actual site and set up the day prior, but this time we're using a guide and going together. 

A stop at Costco today was mandatory, as usual. One of the things I asked everyone to bring was at least ten gallons of water. Not for drinking, but to help fill the flush toilet and provide water for showers. That's the one thing I can't bring for everybody, since only one time did we ever camp close to a water source. Most of the time we're up pretty high, and the creeks seldom flow up there.  

Another consideration, especially the last two campouts we hosted, was to ensure cell service was available. The last two trips we got lucky on the signal, this time I am not so sure. However, there IS a cell tower ten miles as the crow flies directly WEST of the camp site areas...so I think chances are good above 2,000 feet for signal. (Cell towers are usually good for a 25-mile range, line-of-sight.) Tom from Infamous Nissan, the support forum for Nissan owners, is our guide since he has been up in this area around Mt. Hood many times before. He was the one who selected one of three possible spots and sent us the information via Google Maps. They are all located on dead-end spurs off the same Forest Service road, and we will be passing them one at a time. The first one where the smart phones work...WINS. 

If you follow this thread at DZ, then you already know further apps to attend were closed a few days ago. We have not quite reached capacity (14 people, Forest Service rules on group camps) but decided we had to leave a couple of open slots in case any wild card campers happen to show up at the mini mart in Estacada on Friday morning. Due to negative comments at Bruce Smith's Mountain News regarding this trip...some of them *slightly* threatening, it is UNLIKELY we will approve any last-second come-alongs who didn't bother to contact us first. Not impossible, but unlikely. If we determine they are junkies, tramps, thieves, or troublemakers...they won't be allowed to follow us out there. Tom and I will make a quick stop at the mini mart, which was the original rally point. (since changed) If they seem like sincere and 'normal' folks then we will see. 

Truth is, I doubt we will have anyone show up unannounced at the mini mart. Would YOU pack up camping gear and show up at some little town, at a mini mart, at five AM in the morning based on some internet postings? I don't think I would. :|

Picture below of Adventure Books' latest Official Office Cat. Her name is 'Coco'. She actually packed up a bag to attend, and then I had to break the bad news to her she couldn't go. Brother, was SHE pissed. 

And if you believe that, then you'll believe that these Cooper Campouts will continue to be held in Oregon. It IS true that she is our latest Office Cat, though. 

After THIS one, we go back to the Olympics. I like Oregon, but it is just too far to haul the gear necessary for these events. This is a one-time-only deal...and I was talked into it by a few people at Infamous Nissan and of course...folks who live in Oregon.

Figures. We will do a Cooper-related video up there over the weekend. Should be fun. This will be my last post at Dropzone until we return. My best wishes to the nice folks, and everyone else can well...you know. 

CocoEighteleven3.jpg

ANSWER:  Because you are under 21 years of age, Coco. B|

Edited by RobertMBlevins