10 10
quade

DB Cooper

Dropzone.com is a skydiving website. I'm a skydiver. I'm going to tell a story about skydivers. This happened some years ago.

For background, skydivers, like many adventure sports enthusiasts, like to video stuff. These days, those lightweight tiny Go-Pros are everywhere. But before they came about, back when those handheld camcorders were the thing, if a skydiver wanted to video stuff they had to set up a helmet with a camcorder mounted on the top. There's also a piece of skydiving gear that is known as a Dytter. It's a little thing about the size of a matchbook that you'd also mount on your helmet, and what it does is, you set it for a certain altitude and on the way down it beeps in your ear. You wouldn't want to rely on it for your life, but it's a handy little back-up reminder. Any skydiver would instantly recognize one, pretty much nobody else would.

Anyways, where I was living, there was a ski hill not far away. Small place, not too popular, but it had some good steep runs and I could be there in an hour. So one day, like many, I went there by myself to get some runs in. After one particular run, I pull up to the chairlift line and there were these four guys ahead of me, and one of them had a helmet cam on. Didn't recognize any of them, but I says, 'Gee, that's cool, got a camera there to film your friends skiing...' They kinda half-heartedly turned around, 'Yeah, sure..' turned back amongst themselves. 'But', I continue, 'just where on the hill does that Dytter go off?' They all quickly turned around, looked at me with much more interest. 'What? You know what a Dytter is? You jump?'...

Turns out they were jumpers from a different dropzone I hadn't been to, but we ended up skiing together for the day. I visited them at their dz, we all became friends. A couple years later, one of them went in. I was on his ash dive, and I cried...

Camaraderie over a shared interest. It's fuckin' cool. You guys should try it.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. Goin' jumpin' tomorrow...

I am truly sorry about your friend, and you are RIGHT about 'camaraderie over a shared interest'. 

Well, something happened this evening that proves our power system for wilderness camping WORKS. 

I was upstairs in the home office and heard this loud BOOM about a block away. Then the power went out all over the neighborhood. I took one of my 110 amp hour deep cycle batteries (they weigh a whopping 65 pounds each) and hooked it to a 750-watt AC inverter. Then I ran extension cord and a couple of surge suppressing power strips to both the office and downstairs. In less than ten minutes, I had Gayla back on cable downstairs and our modem/phone system powered up again. 

Upstairs, I went to the smaller TV and switched on the emergency lights. Our neighbors were peeking out their windows and wondering how come WE were the only ones in the neighborhood with TV sound and lights galore. The power returned a few hours later. If it had gone on beyond that, I would have dragged out another battery to power the fridge. Those deep cycles will keep it running for hours. If it goes beyond that, we have to consider using the generator. 

It's no big deal, but it proves one thing for sure. I used to be a Boy Scout. :)

boyscout.jpg

(edited)

Hahneman was on a WW2 C-47 (DC-3 variant) aircrew...  troop transport.. paratroopers

Cooper asked for a “knapsack”,, WW2 paratrooper gear included a “knapsack”

The C-47 had a 15 degree flap setting..

1/4= 0 degrees

1/2 = 15 degrees (Cooper demand)

3/4= 30 degrees

Full= 45 degrees

The C-47 had an interphone.. Hahneman manned the interphone.

"Cooper used the term "interphone" vs intercom or phone as Tina said she thought a passenger would say."

Interphoneis a  term used a lot in WW2 acft and through the early 1970s. It refers to the amplified audio system that allows crew to talk to such other over head and handsets and also allows the distribution of comm radio audio to multiple crew members.  Later aircraft, such as the F 14,  seemed to use the term Intercomor ICS. The 727 had an interphone system often powered by Gables Engineering Interphone Amplifier. P/N G-708-1 or C3670-4. NSN: 5831-00-306-4654.

It is curious that Cooper used the term Interphone. To me it indicates at least some familiarity with aircraft systems. 

377"

Edited by FLYJACK

(edited)

Here is a picture of the stew-side interphone system on a 727. The one they used in 1971, anyway. It was for sale a long time ago on eBay. 

StewSideInterphone727.gif

I found out the power failed last night due to a car smashing into a pole a few blocks away. About 1,300 people lost juice for a few hours. That was the boom we heard. 

In Other News - Dropped by Bruce's Mountain News to see if there were any comments or announcements on the re-scheduling of the search trip to Castle Rock, etc. All I found were the usual 'Blevins is a liar,' and mostly distortions of the truth by the same few people. Been there, done that. Ignored

I swear some of these folks would complain even if I suggested we all volunteer time at the childrens' oncology ward. Brother, I know an agenda when I see it, and some people make the Cooper case, and the activities surrounding it, more personal than it is. Over at MN, they can say those things freely without any worry I will actually respond. That is not allowed, of course. When you have someone in your corner ready with the delete button on any just responses...it makes the vitriol easier to do. These folks don't do that at Dropzone because they know they can't get away with it. Regular folk live here. B|

The best thing to do is to ignore these people as best I can. We move forward and try not to let the naysayers win. Two more people from Oregon emailed me yesterday saying they want IN on the search campout. Eight slots out of fourteen are now taken. Anyone from Cooperland who is kicking the idea around of participating in this frankly historical event should stop making it personal and decide whether they want in as well. We will do video, podcast, and the search. Some interviews of individuals, along with BBQ and fun at night. How long does Cooperland believe it will take to fill our limit of people who want to attend? I don't have time for games. We have sixty days to organize the whole thing, and that's less time than it seems. 

I'm not going to mention names or quote comments on other sites, but you know who you are, and you should stop making it personal. It isn't about me, it is about the Cooper case and giving it a try at the placard site. Seems like a historical spot to do the other media, as well. 

Besides. Anyone showing up is guaranteed of at least one thing.

They will probably have more fun than they've had in a while. Two of the people slated to come have been on previous AB campouts. This should tell you something. :) My sincerest thanks go out to Weyerhauser, 'SBJ,' 'Army Guy,' Darren at the Cooper Vortex Podcast, Nick B, and many others for their support. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

Hold your horses there...I never mentioned Shutter's name in my post. And people DO visit his website on a regular basis. 

I'm going to do a short introductory video later on how and why we decided to do the search trip near Castle Rock. Will post it later, here...and will add it to Quora and WordPress notices about the event. A personal pitch is called for here, I think. 

(edited)

Actually, you and Derek fail to post under the rules the admin. has given. and failing to "ignore" things as well that don't belong here.

"You're welcome to discuss the case here, but posts that are not related to the case and merely address other users are not what this thread is for, and we will start handing out more warnings to posts that violate this approach."

Edited by mrshutter45

1 hour ago, mrshutter45 said:

Actually, you and Derek fail to post under the rules the admin. has given. and failing to "ignore" things as well that don't belong here.

"You're welcome to discuss the case here, but posts that are not related to the case and merely address other users are not what this thread is for, and we will start handing out more warnings to posts that violate this approach."

LOL...I'm not talking to you today. I am not Derek, by the way. I want to thank you for providing that bit of internet etiquette for me though. However, if you want to be a moderator at Dropzone, I think you should talk to the folks in charge. B|

I have to work on the Placard Search video, but I have to clean up my office first. You want something Cooper-related? Well, there you go. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, mrshutter45 said:

Nope, simply pointing out that you are violating the rules set here.  2-3 paragraphs worth. 

I have no idea what you are talking about. And excuse me, but who set YOU up as the mod here? This isn't the Cooper Forum. B|

I don't have time for this today, Dave. I just finished shooting the Cooper Search Promo video (it's about ten minutes long) and I'm kind of busy formatting it for YouTube right now. But I will keep your suggestion in mind. And by the way...neither of YOUR posts today are Cooper-related. Meanwhile, the video is done and its time to upload. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

The ten minute promo video on the upcoming Cooper Campout and Search Project is now up at You Tube. 

You can see it at the bottom of the WordPress article HERE.
(Article provides complete background info)

Or go directly to YouTube HERE. 

For the whole smash, see our entry at Quora, the Q and A website. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

You made a long post discussing other members. even though you didn't use names. it still doesn't belong here per the admins post recently. I simply pointed this out just as you did to Derek several times about spamming and multiple posts. 

what happens on other forums are no concern to this forum. unless it has to do with the case. that's the rules Meso set. not me. it's a DB Cooper forum. if you have an issue with that board. I suggest you take it up with them vs posting the problem here. it's pretty simple. :)

Robert, I'm sorry, but I don't watch any of your video's anymore. haven't for a long time. I have no interest in believing anything can be found around the placard. you can look but I'm sure nothing will be found. hunters are in the area constantly. if they found a tiny card. the odds would of been greater finding larger objects. 

R99 believes Cooper was a no pull on Caterpillar island. I disagree with that as well and feel looking there would be pointless since thousands have been on that island after 1971. 

If you are that thirsty for people to join. try the local avenues..newspaper, television. tell them what you are doing. they eat that stuff up..

37 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

Robert, I'm sorry, but I don't watch any of your video's anymore. haven't for a long time. I have no interest in believing anything can be found around the placard. you can look but I'm sure nothing will be found. hunters are in the area constantly. if they found a tiny card. the odds would of been greater finding larger objects. 

R99 believes Cooper was a no pull on Caterpillar island. I disagree with that as well and feel looking there would be pointless since thousands have been on that island after 1971. 

If you are that thirsty for people to join. try the local avenues..newspaper, television. tell them what you are doing. they eat that stuff up..

You have a right to your opinions. I'm okay with that. As far as being 'thirsty' for people to join, (that's a good one) the video is a courtesy. There is a five-week window to join the search party, and we will probably fill every available slot within ten days from today.  I usually have to turn a few people away from these campouts. 

I have no interest in involving newspapers or TV in this one. There isn't anything to tell right now, and we're not organizing a publicity stunt. 

Whether you watch any of my videos at YouTube concerns me not in the least. Now whether my MOTHER watches them, that is something else. I would be cut to the quick if she didn't. B| 

(edited)

I guess you're right. I shouldn't have asked you.  

I will go ahead and post the video directly, just in case anyone else wants more information on the Cooper Campout. Come on, it's not THAT bad. B|

LATE UPDATE:  I've been informed that we CAN have more than 14 people for this event. I was going on US Forest Service rules for group camps, since that's where we usually go. It was good news for sure. Carroll Hicks actually lived in Kelso, WA, not nearby Castle Rock as I said in the video. Other than those things, the video is accurate. Hope to see you on June 21st. :)

Edited by RobertMBlevins

(edited)

Not that anyone probably cares, but it would seem that the point of my earlier post has been missed by some. The point was: 'Cooper' is a decades-old case that most of the world has forgotten about save for a handful of writers, amateur sleuths, aging parachutists, and other curious folks. One would hope that you could all find common ground and get along, even among 'friendly' disagreement about suspects and circumstances.

A thought about the earlier disagreement: Mr. Shutter, if, after 48 years, you can't wait a few more weeks for your choice from a plethora of photographs, I don't know what to tell you. Actually, I do know, and it's this: If a trespassing Eric were to get mowed down by an errant Flatbed Ten logging truck, Weyerhaeuser could revoke Mr. Blevins' permit faster than an 80's NPS Ranger. Would that bother anyone else?

Also, Mr. Shutter, I'll make you a friendly wager. If Blevins comes across an odd penny loafer or an unexploded roll of quarters, then you have to publicly declare that Klansnic was Cooper. If not, then a free tandem skydive awaits whichever of you is willing to show up to Elsinore on the hottest Saturday in August. [Disclaimer:Temperaturemustbeatleast115degrees.Tandempassengermustweighlessthan250lbsandbeabletoclimb4feetofladder.PassengermustalsopromisenottopersonallysuemeifImanagetogetusbothkilled,andmustalsoagreethatifyouthrowuponmeIwillcutyouawaylikeabadparachute.]

Edited by dudeman17

I appreciate your comments. however, you are incorrect about me being impatient about the photo's. Mr. Blevins posted that the event was cancelled. that's when I made a comment that the ground view would benefit the case. Robert then replied he might go later in the year. 

Eric chimed in saying he would go in two weeks and try and get the photo's he wanted as well. I didn't ask anyone to go in the first place. I only suggested pics would be a benefit. Eric already has a plan in place. it doesn't require petty trespassing. 

Some of us choose not to work with certain people due to strong negative behavior that reached out far beyond the internet. most I'm sure you are not aware of in which I would gladly show you offline if required. In my view. the damage can not be repaired. it is what it is. If not mistaken, I don't want to speak for Eric, but I believe he has a purpose for being in the area. that's why he decided to go. Roberts main goal appears to be searching the area. Eric's goal is pictures and might need them before that time. the bottom line was. nobody was going to the location when I first posted. now, it appears only one is allowed? 

"Some of us choose not to work with certain people due to strong negative behavior that reached out far beyond the internet. most I'm sure you are not aware of in which I would gladly show you offline if required. In my view. the damage can not be repaired..."

*The reports of my evilness have been greatly exaggerated...*

Come on, Shutter. Don't sugar coat it. Give it to people straight. B|

This type of stuff is going nowhere. And when you 'provide things offline,' all that happens is that those people usually end up contacting me and then it becomes a big merry go round. But we're not going away anytime soon, and I personally have not given up on eventually solving the case, or at least presenting to the public a reasonably sound theory on who Cooper probably was, and how he actually pulled off his little stunt without getting caught. 

The one big problem with exploring the Cooper case is that there is a great deal of jealousy, competition, and animosity going between some of the major players in this exploration. I give several examples of this in my almost-completed autobiography, Cooperland. It's finished now, except I'm waiting to see what happens on the upcoming movie. ('They' keep saying it's coming, and I should be patient. We will see.) Recently, I revealed to someone well-known in Cooperland WHO exactly signed on board in January to help produce the movie. You've seen him on the big screen and on television. He was in Jurassic World and 16 other films. It won't be long before the person I revealed his identity to is allowed to tell everyone else. We agreed on that, and that will be in June. 

Unfortunately, all this in-fighting, back-biting, whatever you want to call it, just damages other things people try to do in the case. Like the convention last year, for example, where attendance should have been better than it was. Or like the event supposedly coming in November, where at least two of the Decoded cast have already bailed on it, and more people are likely to do the same thing. The two main organizers (Jim Brunberg at Mississippi Studios and Bryan Ward at the V23 Brewery) came to me for a plan on a Cooper Party in December 2018 (to be held the following November), and I gave them The Plan From Heaven, which would have packed the house easily. For some inexplicable reason, they suddenly decided to turn the whole party into another convention, and then turned everything over to Eric alone, instead of doing the whole thing by committee, which would have been a lot smarter. An event that would have included at least four major stars in Cooperland, and a genuine Hollywood star, will now end up being a watered-down, boring, blah-blah speechfest with the same old faces, that will be lucky to get a hundred attendees. The original plan I ran out for them would have filled a 2,000-seat venue (at least) and then some. I was asked, and I delivered. 

However, I did try to roll with the new plan. But my suggestions on how to improve all this, if it were to be a convention instead of a party, were completely ignored by Eric, who didn't even bother to answer my emailed suggestions. Now it becomes another mutual back-slapping party with boring speakers, instead of the big-time Cooper Party it was supposed to be, and the major players are yawning and going elsewhere that weekend. Not just the cast of Decoded, but that producer kid I mentioned, who is barely 23 years old and has starred in 17 pictures already, along with a TV series. He's the one I met in January on Queen Anne Hill in Seattle for a few hours to discuss how the Cooper movie will be done. He was either going to appear in person, or if he was busy on a set somewhere, at least send a video for the audience. He's pretty popular, and just the video alone would have filled a lot of seats. We even offered to put up between $500-$1,000 in Amazon gift cards for a Cooper lookalike contest. That was ignored as well. At this point, I basically gave on trying to help anyone involved in this event, and I certainly will not attend. Anyone put in charge of that event who tries to go it alone definitely has a personal agenda, and personal agendas, unlike true for-the-public events, don't get people to show up on the weekend of Black Friday shopping. What's the point of holding a Cooper event if the public doesn't show...unless you have the idea that because you are in charge, it's the perfect time to hawk your wares, instead of going for the public interest?

Because no one could cooperate (as usual), none of the things that were originally planned for the November event will happen now. I had to tell all of those people I arranged to appear that the plan had been changed, and that I had no intention of wasting my time with another program like that, a program completely different from the one I was asked by Jim Brunberg and V23 Brewery to create. Yes...they approached ME...they wanted me to do this for them. So I did. But the usual non-cooperation and backbiting took over and the results of that will become apparent this coming November. I will have nothing to do with it. 

This is why I decided to ignore Cooperland and just go out on my own with my own event(s) on the Cooper case. This includes the search in June, and probably other stuff closer to Seattle. It's amazing to me how absolutely stubborn some people are in Cooperland. They would rather blow off the best and greatest opportunities to attract the public to Cooper events in favor of small, boring gatherings that go nowhere, and attract few. 

The backbiting does not interest the public in the least. To them, and on this forum, it's only Cooper that matters. Not me, you, or any of the actual personalities involved in the case. They don't care about us personally. And what the public sees is a lack of cooperation and a bunch of people who can't work together on anything. So...they yawn and go elsewhere, maybe over to another unsolved case. As it is, if you ask anyone under 30 if they know who D.B. Cooper is, they usually just say, "Who?"

We move forward with the search in June, which in reality isn't just a 'search'. It's a gathering of friends, fans of the case, and people with metal detectors who barely know who Cooper was. We will do media on it. The idea is to keep Cooper in the minds of the public, which it will certainly do. My email box is already flooded. Cooperland should set aside their differences and start looking at the Big Picture. 

(edited)

Some News:  I had to work helping out this senior lady all day until like 8PM. When I got home, I barely had time to eat and then fell asleep until late. Got up, created the previous post. Then...I go to my email. Already four different people, all from the Castle Rock/Kelso/Vancouver area, are applying to go on the Cooper Placard Area search campout. Two of them said "I have a metal detector". ALL of them said they were fans of the Cooper case.

Instant approval. I may have created a monster. Fortunately, I found out we CAN allow more than 14 people, but at some point I will have to take down the video and stop accepting applications. It's encouraging though. I only put up the video yesterday. 

Edited by RobertMBlevins

I stand fully behind my statement and will now return to a place where one doesn't have to constantly engage in drama. I'm researching the DB Cooper case. I do this as a hobby. I'm not looking for fortune or fame. I'm looking for answers to a decades old mystery. this creates a road block into that avenue. 

10 minutes ago, mrshutter45 said:

I stand fully behind my statement and will now return to a place where one doesn't have to constantly engage in drama. I'm researching the DB Cooper case. I do this as a hobby. I'm not looking for fortune or fame. I'm looking for answers to a decades old mystery. this creates a road block into that avenue. 

What statement? The one where you say you are 'fully prepared to dish out dirt on others offline if necessary'?

You mistake drama for the truth. If you were truly seeking the truth, you wouldn't spend time hacking on others doing the same. And you might support something Cooper-related without regard to going personal on the person doing the organizing. 

12 hours ago, FLYJACK said:

Does anybody have info on WW2 C-47 crew bailout gear?

Found it was most certainly a B-8 parachute... thrown on by the crew for bailouts. Hahneman on the aircrew would have been familiar with the B-8.

Cooper used an NB-8, but something has always bothered me.. the chutes belonged to Hayden, packed by Cossey but he claimed he altered the location of the ripcord. Does it make sense that a rigger would modify a ripcord for somebody else's chute? wouldn't that be dangerous?